Repaints MTF Moxie Indicator for ThinkorSwim

Repaints

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Hi does anyone have mobile version of the moxie indicator script ?
I never tried it on mobile until a week ago. I found it doesn't plot anything. Neither does the real Moxie code from Simpler Trading. I suspect accessing secondary timeframes may not be allowed on mobile but I haven't looked into it.

What I found that does work is the non-repainting version of Moxie I wrote earlier in this thread. It's not exactly Moxie. More like an approximation. The multicolored plot doesn't seem to work so I set it to light blue in the study settings. That looks correct but there's still traces of green and red garbage in the study's box, which is weird. I hardly use mobile and I'll probably never trade from it. I mostly just use it to check on my existing positions. So I don't have plans to put more effort into it.

Another option, and what I primarily use for charts on mobile is TradingView. For just charts, I prefer their mobile experience. I found that the Moxie study on that platform does work fine on mobile. It's called MoxieArrows or something like that but the name is misleading. It's the lower study and there's no arrows.

Does the Moxie indicator work on tick charts?

I doubt it. The official Moxie version and its clone might draw the plots but they're from so high a higher timeframe that they'd be irrelevant for you. The other version I created, which calculates a multiple on the current time frame instead of using a higher timeframe -- the one people in this thread call the "smooth" version -- may be useful to you but you may need to tune the multiple to be relevant on your timeframe.

It's worth noting that Moxie is just MACD's histogram from a higher timeframe drawn as a line. So you could also test with looking at MACD on a higher timeframe chart to see if it's useful to you.

Last edited:
The guy who created Moxie says if Moxie is above zero and price closes below SMA 50 then price should bounce. He calls it the trampoline setup. The inverse also applies for shorting.

This should be taken with a big grain of salt, by the way. Taken alone, I see this fail constantly. I want to do more back testing with it but it doesn't look good on its own. TG seems to use it as an additional reason to take a trade that meets the core Moxie setup criteria. Not as an alternative to the core Moxie setup.

Hi @Slippage, thanks for sharing your work. Can you explain why the divergence here on the 5min chart between price and the moxie line? And how should we read into the divergence? and @J007RMC

Sure, I'll explain. You may also want to hit YouTube for a deeper understanding. There are a few indicators commonly used to see divergence (RSI, MACD, etc.) so there should be plenty of content. The general idea is price is going one way and momentum is going the other way. Most often, but not always, this leads to a correction in price to follow the momentum.

There's two things I watch for...

One is the slope of a trend, like you're asking about. They may be sloped in opposite directions. One might be going up or down while the other remains flat. Or they may slope the same direction but one shallower than the other. This is the case for your examples and also earlier in the chart leading to where Moxie first crosses below zero. In the first and last case it led to minor pullbacks which resolved the divergence. Look where Moxie first turns red on your chart and falls from the high all the way below zero. While that was happening, price was making a new high and then gave up almost all of that gain.

The other thing I watch for is higher highs vs lower highs and lower lows vs higher lows. The absolute high of your chart was followed by a slightly lower high in price but on Moxie it was much lower. Price crashed from there.

Don't catch falling knives based on divergence. It's not reliable enough for that. Instead, wait for a double bottom (or top for short plays). Look for slope divergence leading into that double bottom/top. You have that in the middle of your chart. Price fell at a steeper angle than Moxie did. Within the double-bottom, the first bounce and then the lower low, Moxie didn't go lower on the second bottom like price did. That's a positive (upward) divergence on the second low and will likely lead to price going higher. which it did here. Moxie also continued higher through the next pullback.

Like anything else in trading, it doesn't work all the time.

can anyone code a strategy that backtest Moxie indicator, go long when Moxie line goes above 0, and go short when it goes below 0? Thanks! No idea how to code this backtest strategy

can anyone code a strategy that backtest Moxie indicator, go long when Moxie line goes above 0, and go short when it goes below 0? Thanks! No idea how to code this backtest strategy
The moxie is just the macd...literally nothing else. Its the macd histogram one time aggregation higher. I. even saw their coding and they put fake lines of code and formulas in to throw people off the scent of the fact that its just plotting the macd hist as a line... No need to backtest, you either like using the macd or you dont.

Hopefully this will be the final code. The code for the scans have not changed since they were posted earlier. I just wanted to bring all the pieces together in this post as the (hopefully) final and complete package.

1. This resolves a bug for 15m. It should use close price rather than high price.
2. This makes it so the second line is shown by default on 15m and no other timeframes. I changed this to stop the confusion some members ran into with why the second line didn't appear automatically on 15m.

Moxie Upper:
Ruby:
declare upper;

def currentAggPeriod = GetAggregationPeriod();
def higherAggPeriod =
  if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN then AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.THREE_MIN then AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN then AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN then AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN then AggregationPeriod.HOUR
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN then AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS then AggregationPeriod.DAY
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS then AggregationPeriod.TWO_DAYS
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.DAY then AggregationPeriod.WEEK
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.WEEK then AggregationPeriod.MONTH
  else AggregationPeriod.QUARTER
;

script MoxieFunc {
  input price = close;
  def vc1 = ExpAverage(price, 12) - ExpAverage(price , 26);
  def va1 = ExpAverage(vc1, 9);
  plot data = (vc1 - va1) * 3;
}

def Moxie = MoxieFunc(close(period = higherAggPeriod));

def longTrigger = if Moxie > 0 and Moxie[1] <= 0 then Moxie else Double.NaN;
def longArrowPosition =
  # first arrow
  if Moxie == longTrigger and Moxie != Moxie[1] then low
  # consecutive arrows at same position
  else if Moxie == longTrigger and Moxie == Moxie[1] then longArrowPosition[1]
  else Double.NaN;
plot long = longArrowPosition;
long.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
long.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);
long.SetLineWeight(3);
long.HideBubble();
long.HideTitle();

def shortTrigger = if Moxie < 0 and Moxie[1] >= 0 then Moxie else Double.NaN;
def shortArrowPosition =
  # first arrow
  if Moxie == shortTrigger and Moxie != Moxie[1] then high
  # consecutive arrows at same position
  else if Moxie == shortTrigger and Moxie == Moxie[1] then shortArrowPosition[1]
  else Double.NaN;
plot short = shortArrowPosition;
short.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_DOWN);
short.SetDefaultColor(Color.LIGHT_RED);
short.SetLineWeight(3);
short.HideBubble();
short.HideTitle();

Moxie Lower:
Ruby:
declare lower;

input showVerticalLines = yes;
input showTrampolines = yes;
input showSqueezeDots = no;

plot ZeroLine = if !IsNaN(open) and !showSqueezeDots then 0 else Double.NaN;
ZeroLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
ZeroLine.SetLineWeight(2);
ZeroLine.HideBubble();
ZeroLine.HideTitle();

def currentAggPeriod = GetAggregationPeriod();
def higherAggPeriod =
  if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN then AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.THREE_MIN then AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN then AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN then AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN then AggregationPeriod.HOUR
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN then AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS then AggregationPeriod.DAY
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS then AggregationPeriod.TWO_DAYS
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.DAY then AggregationPeriod.WEEK
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.WEEK then AggregationPeriod.MONTH
  else AggregationPeriod.QUARTER
;

script MoxieFunc {
  input price = close;
  def vc1 = ExpAverage(price, 12) - ExpAverage(price , 26);
  plot data = (vc1 - va1) * 3;
}

plot Moxie = MoxieFunc(close(period = higherAggPeriod));
Moxie.SetLineWeight(2);
Moxie.DefineColor("Up", Color.GREEN);
Moxie.DefineColor("Down", Color.RED);
def lastChange = if Moxie < Moxie[1] then 1 else 0;
Moxie.AssignValueColor(
  if lastChange == 1 then Moxie.Color("Down")
  else Moxie.Color("Up")
);

# Watkins uses a different setup for Moxie on his 15 minute charts.
# He uses two lines derived from two higher timeframes.
# For timeframes other than 15 minutes we'll use the same data as
# first Moxie line to reduce data requested from the server and
# improve performance.
def secondAggPeriod =
  if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN
  then AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS
  else currentAggPeriod
;

plot MoxieSecondLine =
  if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN
  then MoxieFunc(close(period = secondAggPeriod))
  else Double.NaN
;

MoxieSecondLine.SetLineWeight(2);
MoxieSecondLine.DefineColor("Up", Color.GREEN);
MoxieSecondLine.DefineColor("Down", Color.RED);
def lastChangeSecondLine = if MoxieSecondLine < MoxieSecondLine[1] then 1 else 0;
MoxieSecondLine.AssignValueColor(
  if lastChangeSecondLine == 1 then MoxieSecondLine.Color("Down")
  else MoxieSecondLine.Color("Up")
);
MoxieSecondLine.SetHiding(currentAggPeriod != AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN);

# Show vertical lines at crossovers
AddVerticalLine(showVerticalLines and Moxie[1] crosses above 0, "", CreateColor(0,150,0), Curve.SHORT_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(showVerticalLines and Moxie[1] crosses below 0, "", CreateColor(200,0,0), Curve.SHORT_DASH);

# Indicate the Trampoline setup
def sma50 = Average(close, 50);
plot Trampoline =
  if showTrampolines and ((Moxie < -.01 and close > sma50) or (Moxie > .01 and close < sma50))
  then 0
  else Double.NaN
;
Trampoline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.SQUARES);
Trampoline.DefineColor("Bullish", Color.LIGHT_GREEN);
Trampoline.DefineColor("Bearish", Color.PINK);
Trampoline.AssignValueColor(if close > sma50 then Trampoline.Color("Bearish") else Trampoline.Color("Bullish"));
Trampoline.HideBubble();
Trampoline.HideTitle();

# show squeeze dots on zero line
def bb = reference BollingerBands.LowerBand;
def squeezeLevel =
  if bb > KeltnerChannels(factor = 1.0).Lower_Band then 3
  else if bb > KeltnerChannels(factor = 1.5).Lower_Band then 2
  else if bb > KeltnerChannels(factor = 2.0).Lower_Band then 1
  else 0
;

plot Squeeze = if !showSqueezeDots then Double.NaN else if !IsNaN(open) then 0 else Double.NaN;
Squeeze.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Squeeze.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
Squeeze.DefineColor("Loose Squeeze", Color.UPTICK);
Squeeze.DefineColor("Squeeze", Color.RED);
Squeeze.DefineColor("Tight Squeeze", Color.YELLOW);
Squeeze.DefineColor("No Squeeze", Color.GRAY);
Squeeze.AssignValueColor(
  if squeezeLevel == 3 then Squeeze.Color("Tight Squeeze")
  else if squeezeLevel == 2 then Squeeze.Color("Squeeze")
  else if squeezeLevel == 1 then Squeeze.Color("Loose Squeeze")
  else Squeeze.Color("No Squeeze")
);
Squeeze.SetLineWeight(2);
Squeeze.HideTitle();
Squeeze.HideBubble();

AddLabel(
  yes,
  if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.WEEK then " W "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.Day then " D "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.HOUR then " H "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN then " 15 "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN then " 5 "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN then " 2 "
  else " ",
  if Moxie < 0 then Color.RED else Color.GREEN
);

Trigger scan:
Ruby:
# because Moxie calculates from higher time frame
# to find daily entries, run this scan on weekly
# to find hourly entries, run this on daily
script Moxie {
    input priceC = close;
    def vc1 = ExpAverage(priceC , 12) - ExpAverage(priceC , 26);
    plot sData = (vc1 - va1) * 3;
}
def m = Moxie();
def moxieUpArrow = m > 0 and m[1] <= 0;
plot scan = moxieUpArrow within 1 bars;

Trampoline scan from @Sneaky_Swings earlier in this thread:
Ruby:
# because Moxie calculates from higher time frame
# to find daily entries, run this scan on weekly
# to find hourly entries, run this on daily

def ap1 = close;

script MoxieFunc {
    input priceC = close;
    def vc1 = ExpAverage(priceC , 12) - ExpAverage(priceC , 26);
    plot sData = (vc1 - va1) * 3;
}

def price = close;
def s2 = MoxieFunc(price);

def ZeroLine = 0;
def Moxie = s2;

# Indicate the Trampoline setup
def sma50 = SimpleMovingAvg(close, 50);

plot trampoline = (Moxie > 0.1 and close < sma50);

EDIT 3/1/21 to add squeeze dots on zero line
Wondering if anyone can modify this code to work in the mobile app version of TOS
Been looking everywhere and no luck

Volatility Trading Range

VTR is a momentum indicator that shows if a stock is overbought or oversold based on its Weekly and Monthly average volatility trading range.

Download the indicator