Moxie Indicator for ThinkorSwim

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Yes, I agree that you should not port any concepts or IP of moxie into the code here, as that would not be nice.

I won't be a dick. Anything I learn from his code or his class that isn't already public I won't mention here or anywhere. Once you know what the formula is, where he got it from, which I learned thanks to you, it seems less unreasonable to share it. But if his different visual representation of that data is helpful I don't see a reason he shouldn't be able to sell it. And his strategy is more than the indicator, a lot more so than squeeze or other ST strategies I'm aware of.

And wrt to TradingView code, you never know, it is possible that Moxie was copied from it .)

Actually, that TradingView study is named Moxie-something-or-other so it's pretty likely a Moxie customer ported it.

I would think that from a system standpoint that another indicator would be very useful, maybe something like a squeeze, to detect pre-explosion compression, and another to try to filter out these OsMA zero cross-recross on shallow sideways markets and weak moves. Maybe squeeze could do both, by only acting on reasonably coincident OsMA cross and squeeze breakouts (this takes a bit of fiddling when one triggers to checking back to see if the other(s) most recently fired within N bars and are still in the same fired direction/state).

I'm trying to figure out how to answer this one without giving a direct answer since the paid training solidified an impression I already had.

There is an often repeated concept in the YouTube videos which I believe is the reason squeeze or another indicator isn't needed. I'll even hint to listen for the word "compression" since you used that word in your message. I've heard him use that word as well as some synonyms while discussing that concept.

If you, or anyone, is going to spend time watching his YouTube videos, don't waste time on webinars or "state of the market" videos. Focus on the ones where he's going from stock to stock to stock for an hour. The Moxie Trader channel is probably better for that than the Simpler Trading channel.

And finally, as the market seems to be getting to a point where many stocks are going to be going down, I agree that looking for downside exploders will be needed pretty soon...

I'm curious to see how he'll handle a down-trending market. He has traded short before but he sounds really uncomfortable with it -- he doesn't like the way price behaves on the short side. Also, he's trading multiple accounts including his IRAs and some family members' accounts which might be IRAs. Can't short in those aside from using options and he still has a strong preference for shares vs options as the majority of his positions.

I won't be a dick. Anything I learn from his code or his class that isn't already public I won't mention here or anywhere. Once you know what the formula is, where he got it from, which I learned thanks to you, it seems less unreasonable to share it. But if his different visual representation of that data is helpful I don't see a reason he shouldn't be able to sell it. And his strategy is more than the indicator, a lot more so than squeeze or other ST strategies I'm aware of.

Actually, that TradingView study is named Moxie-something-or-other so it's pretty likely a Moxie customer ported it.

I'm trying to figure out how to answer this one without giving a direct answer since the paid training solidified an impression I already had.

There is an often repeated concept in the YouTube videos which I believe is the reason squeeze or another indicator isn't needed. I'll even hint to listen for the word "compression" since you used that word in your message. I've heard him use that word as well as some synonyms while discussing that concept.

If you, or anyone, is going to spend time watching his YouTube videos, don't waste time on webinars or "state of the market" videos. Focus on the ones where he's going from stock to stock to stock for an hour. The Moxie Trader channel is probably better for that than the Simpler Trading channel.

I'm curious to see how he'll handle a down-trending market. He has traded short before but he sounds really uncomfortable with it -- he doesn't like the way price behaves on the short side. Also, he's trading multiple accounts including his IRAs and some family members' accounts which might be IRAs. Can't short in those aside from using options and he still has a strong preference for shares vs options as the majority of his positions.

I was just joking on Moxie coming from TradingView as opposed to the other way around. But the kernel of the code concept likely came for elsewhere. And adding the things they have to make Moxie is creativity, so give them that. In terms of watching videos, don't watch many these days but do try to focus on the ones that show the details of how the strategy works as you suggest.

On the compression term, I was really just putting a word out there to get the concept of trying to find ones that have a very good chance of considerable jumps. If what they have in a methodology and group/team/tools scouring the market comes up with a sizeable number and percentage of these then that alone would be well worth the price of the Mastery component.

Adding in your own use of Options and downside movers would be well benefited as well I would think.

Cheers.

Last edited:
@Slippage First and foremost, thank you for all your efforts.. they are truly appreciated.

I am not a coder so please forgive the nature of the question. Is it possible to have the indicator not repaint? Is there a minor code change I can make for that? Or is this not possible given the core nature of the indicator?

Thanks
By sticking with the use of the HTF Aggregation period adjustment its not possible, HOWEVER, it is possible to change the indicator slightly so that it won't repaint and still have an analogous effect. The re-painting comes from the use of HTF AggregationPeriod in the MA's, so rather than determining the HTF AggregationPeriod to use based on the current TF that the indicator/scanner is on, you would scale the MA periods based on that TF. So if you are on a specific TF, you would determine the Period scaler to use instead of the HTF AggregationPeriod, e.g. if on TF = m15 then the scaler would be either 2 or 4 depending on H1 or H2, if on H1 it would be 8 for D1, etc. AggregationPeriod would use the chart's TF.

So def vc1 = ExpAverage(price, 12*scaler) - ExpAverage(price, 26*scaler); va1 = ExpAverage(vc1, 9*scaler);
And while doing this it would be worthwhile to make the 3 periods external parameters, since these generally are useful to play around with a bit.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, another member in that room happened to mention that we're lucky Watkins lets us stay in there and answers our questions. That Moxie Mastery really is supposed to be just an alert service, not a trading room subscription. I'm not sure whether that's true or an assumption but it would explain why it's not mentioned in the marketing materials.
Hi Slippage, based on your experience with the elite package, do u think the video on moxie youtube suffice or does the videos offer in his course offer far more details ? I am still thinking if i should sign up for the course.

Last edited:
Hi Slippage, based on your experience with the elite package, do u think the video on moxie youtube suffice or does the videos offer in his course offer far more details than what is offered in the course? I am still thinking if i should sign up for the course.

I thought about commenting on this in my most recent long-ish post but I figured I should take the time to watch all the videos included in what I've purchased before I make a final judgement. And I'm attempting (not sure how successful I'll be) to keep separate in my head what I learned from the class vs learned from the videos included with the Mastery subscription so I can give better opinions on the two separately.

So far, I've watched all of the videos included in the Moxie Stock Method class. I watched part of one video in the Mastery Learning Center but that video's specific to exits. I didn't watch any yet from the Moxie Stock Method e-Learning Module but those videos all have the same titles as the Moxie Stock Method videos. I think the only difference is the class dates. They're recordings of live classes split into smaller pieces. The e-Learning is 5 months newer, Feb 2020 vs Oct 2019.

For things I don't remember seeing on YouTube, I did learn a probably-important criteria to look for on trampoline setups. And one concept that applies to just about any type of setup (not just his strategies) which is common sense but maybe you never had a fully articulated thought about it before to apply it as criteria in selecting stocks/setups, at least that was the case for me.

In the YouTube videos, he takes a stock and shows whatever concepts apply. Takes the next stock and shows whatever concepts apply. Rinse, repeat for an hour. In the class videos, he takes a concept and shows it on a bunch of stocks. Takes another concept and shows it on a bunch of stocks. Rinse, repeat for a lot less than an hour per concept. Whether it's only that structural difference or possibly more informative commentary I'm not sure but I do feel like I learned quicker from the class videos. I was already comfortable with some pieces of his strategy. My comfort level with of a couple of the concepts increased by watching the class videos.

In the live trading videos included in the class he starts at the beginning of his prep for the day compared to the YouTube videos where he already has a list of stocks he pre-screened to show that day. So there's a bit more information there. Probably nothing that would determine ultimate success or failure but maybe it makes things easier seeing his workflow if you're having trouble figuring out how to start. Though, it really is just running a scan as well as going through his curated list of tickers and doing the same thing he does in the YouTube videos.

I'll start on the e-Learning section next so I can get back to you all about it quickly. I have to admit part of me is dreading another 7 to 8 hours of the same content I watched two days ago. haha

ETA: It turns out the e-Learning videos really are the exact same as the other class videos so no need to spend time on those. They use a different video player and content structure in the e-Learning and I'm glad I used the other section instead so I could control the playback speed and get through the content faster.

I looked through the Mastery Learning Center videos and watched a couple of them. The topics from the class mostly seem to be covered just maybe in less depth and with fewer examples. Some videos in this area give much more detail than the class, such as Defining Risk: Where do you set initial stop? Defining Risk: Managing stops once position is profitable, Profit Exits, the Moxie Way.

I'll write the next part as a new post so people don't miss it at the bottom of this wall of text.

Last edited:
At this point my opinion is there's a little bit of knowledge in the class and in Mastery content beyond what's on YouTube but not much. The class is structured better for learning and I feel I have a firmer grasp on the content after watching the class videos. Between that and having the checklist the strategy feels more actionable. But a big part of that is because before taking the class I wasn't sure how much knowledge/criteria he was holding back for YouTube. Now I know the YouTube videos really aren't missing much.

If you're going to pay for anything, since you already have the indicator from this thread, I'd say skip the classes, including whatever live class events come up, and just get the Moxie Mastery subscription. Mastery has 20 short (8 minutes to 38 minutes for the ones I watched) videos covering almost all of the same concepts as the class and some things not covered in class. Be sure to watch all of the videos in the Mastery Learning Center. The order in which they list those videos is less than ideal, though.

One caveat... the videos in Mastery, based on their titles, don't seem to cover divergence at all which is more important than you might guess. It may be covered in the live trading videos I haven't watched yet but, if not, you can find it discussed in many of his YouTube videos. You can save the money you would otherwise spend on the class by watching the YouTube videos until you understand not just what divergence is and what it looks like but also what it communicates and why it's important. Divergence isn't just a Moxie thing but is also common with RSI and other indicators so if you feel like you're not getting a firm understanding from Moxie videos, try researching RSI divergence or whatever other trading-related divergence stuff you can find on YouTube.

I think of it like this... if you pay for the class it's 7.5 hours of training and 9 hours of live trading videos. That's 16.5 hours. If you watch 16.5 hours of his YouTube videos instead, only the ones where he's showing stock after stock, you'll have probably 97% of the same knowledge for the same time invested and no money spent. Moxie Mastery gives you another 2% of that knowledge, plus some other stuff, and now you're just missing 1% of what the class would have taught you. Whatever that 1% is, it's not the secret sauce and it's not worth the price of the class. I think most people (this isn't directed at anyone in this discussion) don't have the self discipline to watch 16.5 hours of videos whether they paid for them or not.

Mastery includes a PDF labeled as a Glossary. It's the same one provided in the class. Glossary sounds unimportant and I almost didn't bother to look at it. The glossary is only the first page of the PDF. It also has the checklist of criteria for taking trades.

If, after watching everything in the Mastery Learning Center and at least some of the recorded live trading sessions or YouTube videos, you feel like you're still missing something then you have the chatroom members and TG himself you can ask for help. If all else fails, maybe the class would be beneficial for you since it does spend more time on each concept.

I'm not sure yet if the chatroom is useful beyond being able to get answers from Watkins directly and in near-real-time. If you're imagining an army of well-trained Moxie soldiers scouting the market and calling out a steady stream of good setups you're way, way off. Maybe it's because the market has been down and a little crazy since I joined but there's very little Moxie talk so I haven't been paying too much attention. I've noticed 5 main things in chat.

1. Q: Where is the recording from the class last weekend. A: Did you look in the F-ing dashboard? (F-ing is really my addition. The people there, including TG Watkins, are nice and have a lot more patience for stupidity and laziness than I do.)

2. @TG how about $XYZ? (which meets literally zero of the criteria) Answer from TG: "It's not ready yet". My answer would be something more like "GTFO out of this room and don't come back until you've watched all of my videos at least 3 more times each"

3. Some members are day trading together and it's not clear to me if they're using Moxie at all in those trades but I'm guessing not. Their chatroom software doesn't support direct messaging so it's all tagged @ each other in the chatroom.

4. Discussions about market cycles and a tool named Sentient Trader.

5. Other Simpler Trading stuff.

I posted a list of 5 symbols the other day asking for anyone with experienced Moxie eyes to tell me if they wouldn't be good trades and no one responded. I'm sure TG would have responded if I tagged him in the question, though he's on a ski trip for a few days and not available the entire day right now.

Last edited:
@tradegeek you mentioned Ninjatrader script which is how Watkins got started on his own website pre-Simplier. I would love to get a hold of that, if anyone has knowledge of it. @Slippage thanks for your insightful posts, if possible you could ask about how to get Ninjatrader script? Ninjatrader has Auto_trade capabilities which TOS does not. I created a strategy based on the Moxie study found in this thread where the First line which uses (five_Min) and and second line(Using 15_Min) are in agreement on a Minute chart, mainly the NQ. It doesn't repaint and it is profitable. Also using the MTF indicator found on Completed-Heiken_Ashi thread https://usethinkscript.com/threads/completed-heiken_ashi_-support-needed.5251/post-52974.

At this point my opinion is there's a little bit of knowledge in the class and in Mastery content beyond what's on YouTube but not much. The class is structured better for learning and I feel I have a firmer grasp on the content after watching the class videos. Between that and having the checklist the strategy feels more actionable. But a big part of that is because before taking the class I wasn't sure how much knowledge/criteria he was holding back for YouTube. Now I know the YouTube videos really aren't missing much.

If you're going to pay for anything, since you already have the indicator from this thread, I'd say skip the classes, including whatever live class events come up, and just get the Moxie Mastery subscription. Mastery has 20 short (8 minutes to 38 minutes for the ones I watched) videos covering almost all of the same concepts as the class and some things not covered in class. Be sure to watch all of the videos in the Mastery Learning Center. The order in which they list those videos is less than ideal, though.

One caveat... the videos in Mastery, based on their titles, don't seem to cover divergence at all which is more important than you might guess. It may be covered in the live trading videos I haven't watched yet but, if not, you can find it discussed in many of his YouTube videos. You can save the money you would otherwise spend on the class by watching the YouTube videos until you understand not just what divergence is and what it looks like but also what it communicates and why it's important. Divergence isn't just a Moxie thing but is also common with RSI and other indicators so if you feel like you're not getting a firm understanding from Moxie videos, try researching RSI divergence or whatever other trading-related divergence stuff you can find on YouTube.

I think of it like this... if you pay for the class it's 7.5 hours of training and 9 hours of live trading videos. That's 16.5 hours. If you watch 16.5 hours of his YouTube videos instead, only the ones where he's showing stock after stock, you'll have probably 97% of the same knowledge for the same time invested and no money spent. Moxie Mastery gives you another 2% of that knowledge, plus some other stuff, and now you're just missing 1% of what the class would have taught you. Whatever that 1% is, it's not the secret sauce and it's not worth the price of the class. I think most people (this isn't directed at anyone in this discussion) don't have the self discipline to watch 16.5 hours of videos whether they paid for them or not.

Mastery includes a PDF labeled as a Glossary. It's the same one provided in the class. Glossary sounds unimportant and I almost didn't bother to look at it. The glossary is only the first page of the PDF. It also has the checklist of criteria for taking trades.

If, after watching everything in the Mastery Learning Center and at least some of the recorded live trading sessions or YouTube videos, you feel like you're still missing something then you have the chatroom members and TG himself you can ask for help. If all else fails, maybe the class would be beneficial for you since it does spend more time on each concept.

I'm not sure yet if the chatroom is useful beyond being able to get answers from Watkins directly and in near-real-time. If you're imagining an army of well-trained Moxie soldiers scouting the market and calling out a steady stream of good setups you're way, way off. Maybe it's because the market has been down and a little crazy since I joined but there's very little Moxie talk so I haven't been paying too much attention. I've noticed 5 main things in chat.

1. Q: Where is the recording from the class last weekend. A: Did you look in the F-ing dashboard? (F-ing is really my addition. The people there, including TG Watkins, are nice and have a lot more patience for stupidity and laziness than I do.)

2. @TG how about $XYZ? (which meets literally zero of the criteria) Answer from TG: "It's not ready yet". My answer would be something more like "GTFO out of this room and don't come back until you've watched all of my videos at least 3 more times each"

3. Some members are day trading together and it's not clear to me if they're using Moxie at all in those trades but I'm guessing not. Their chatroom software doesn't support direct messaging so it's all tagged @ each other in the chatroom.

4. Discussions about market cycles and a tool named Sentiment Trader.

I posted a list of 5 symbols the other day asking for anyone with experienced Moxie eyes to tell me if they wouldn't be good trades and no one responded. I'm sure TG would have responded if I tagged him in the question, though he's on a ski trip for a few days and not available the entire day right now.
Thank you so much Slippage for your insights & the time taken to explain everything in details. Appreciate that.

@tradegeek you mentioned Ninjatrader script which is how Watkins got started on his own website pre-Simplier. I would love to get a hold of that, if anyone has knowledge of it. @Slippage thanks for your insightful posts, if possible you could ask about how to get Ninjatrader script? Ninjatrader has Auto_trade capabilities which TOS does not. I created a strategy based on the Moxie study found in this thread where the First line which uses (five_Min) and and second line(Using 15_Min) are in agreement on a Minute chart, mainly the NQ. It doesn't repaint and it is profitable. Also using the MTF indicator found on Completed-Heiken_Ashi thread https://usethinkscript.com/threads/completed-heiken_ashi_-support-needed.5251/post-52974.

Moxie is just the MACD histogram from the higher timeframe, drawn as a line instead of a histogram. I'm guessing you can make that work without the Moxie code. Only TOS code was provided in what I bought.

One of the members in the Moxie Mastery room asked if I could create a scan to find when the 15m two lines are together. Because we can't use multiple timeframes in a scan I had to approximate the second line but this is working pretty well. You can adjust the threshold input to control how close they need to be to each other, smaller number for tighter together. The results won't be perfect but they look pretty good to me so far.

Set the scan time period to 1 hour
Ruby:
# 15m Two Lines Together
input threshold = 20;

def v = ExpAverage(close, 12) - ExpAverage(close, 26);
def a = ExpAverage(v, 9);
def m = v - a;

def v2 = ExpAverage(close, 24) - ExpAverage(close, 52);
def a2 = ExpAverage(v2, 18);
def m2 = v2 - a2;

def g = Max(m, m2) - Min(m, m2);
def together = AbsValue(g) / AbsValue(m) < threshold / 100;

plot scan =
  together
  and together[1]
  and together[2]
  and together[3]
;

ETA: Sorry for cryptic variable naming. I'm trying to protect TG's formula in anything I share in his trading room.

Last edited:

Hi Slippage! I saw you in the Moxie room and I think I took one of the trades you posted because it looked good, but I got stopped out lol. It's been a rough week though.

I'm so glad you bought the service and are providing such a detailed review here. I think folks can decide for themselves whether they need this indicator. I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How would you build your own scans with using the Moxie scanner code? I'm a newer trader and would love to get some help from someone experienced. My hope was to make my scan higher probability. I currently trade cheaper stocks (under $100). Hoping to branch out to options and look at more expensive ones in the near future.

2. Is there any way to scan for divergence? I have a MACD divergence indicator and scan indicator and it's pure magic. I can't pair it with Moxie though because they look for different things. IS there any way to scan for Moxie divergence in the recent past and then Moxie trigger?

3. How do you think Moxie might benefit your trading?

Thank you so much for all of your input here. Have a wonderful weekend!

One of the members in the Moxie Mastery room asked if I could create a scan to find when the 15m two lines are together. Because we can't use multiple timeframes in a scan I had to approximate the second line but this is working pretty well. You can adjust the threshold input to control how close they need to be to each other, smaller number for tighter together. The results won't be perfect but they look pretty good to me so far.

Ruby:
# 15m Two Lines Together
input threshold = 20;

def m = v - a;

def m2 = v2 - a2;

plot scan =
  together
  and together[1]
  and together[2]
  and together[3]
;
Also I thinki

Hi Slippage! I saw you in the Moxie room and I think I took one of the trades you posted because it looked good, but I got stopped out lol. It's been a rough week though.

I'm so glad you bought the service and are providing such a detailed review here. I think folks can decide for themselves whether they need this indicator. I have a couple of questions for you:

1. How would you build your own scans with using the Moxie scanner code? I'm a newer trader and would love to get some help from someone experienced. My hope was to make my scan higher probability. I currently trade cheaper stocks (under $100). Hoping to branch out to options and look at more expensive ones in the near future.

2. Is there any way to scan for divergence? I have a MACD divergence indicator and scan indicator and it's pure magic. I can't pair it with Moxie though because they look for different things. IS there any way to scan for Moxie divergence in the recent past and then Moxie trigger?

@Slippage I think you were reading my mind. I see you are working on the scans lol

Hopefully this will be the final code. The code for the scans have not changed since they were posted earlier. I just wanted to bring all the pieces together in this post as the (hopefully) final and complete package.

1. This resolves a bug for 15m. It should use close price rather than high price.
2. This makes it so the second line is shown by default on 15m and no other timeframes. I changed this to stop the confusion some members ran into with why the second line didn't appear automatically on 15m.

Moxie Upper:
Ruby:
declare upper;

def currentAggPeriod = GetAggregationPeriod();
def higherAggPeriod =
  if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN then AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.THREE_MIN then AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN then AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN then AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN then AggregationPeriod.HOUR
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN then AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS then AggregationPeriod.DAY
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS then AggregationPeriod.TWO_DAYS
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.DAY then AggregationPeriod.WEEK
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.WEEK then AggregationPeriod.MONTH
  else AggregationPeriod.QUARTER
;

script MoxieFunc {
  input price = close;
  def vc1 = ExpAverage(price, 12) - ExpAverage(price , 26);
  def va1 = ExpAverage(vc1, 9);
  plot data = (vc1 - va1) * 3;
}

def Moxie = MoxieFunc(close(period = higherAggPeriod));

def longTrigger = if Moxie > 0 and Moxie[1] <= 0 then Moxie else Double.NaN;
def longArrowPosition =
  # first arrow
  if Moxie == longTrigger and Moxie != Moxie[1] then low
  # consecutive arrows at same position
  else if Moxie == longTrigger and Moxie == Moxie[1] then longArrowPosition[1]
  else Double.NaN;
plot long = longArrowPosition;
long.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
long.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);
long.SetLineWeight(3);
long.HideBubble();
long.HideTitle();

def shortTrigger = if Moxie < 0 and Moxie[1] >= 0 then Moxie else Double.NaN;
def shortArrowPosition =
  # first arrow
  if Moxie == shortTrigger and Moxie != Moxie[1] then high
  # consecutive arrows at same position
  else if Moxie == shortTrigger and Moxie == Moxie[1] then shortArrowPosition[1]
  else Double.NaN;
plot short = shortArrowPosition;
short.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_DOWN);
short.SetDefaultColor(Color.LIGHT_RED);
short.SetLineWeight(3);
short.HideBubble();
short.HideTitle();

Moxie Lower:
Ruby:
declare lower;

input showVerticalLines = yes;
input showTrampolines = yes;

plot ZeroLine = if close[-1] > 0 then 0 else Double.NaN;
ZeroLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
ZeroLine.HideBubble();
ZeroLine.HideTitle();

def currentAggPeriod = GetAggregationPeriod();
def higherAggPeriod =
  if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN then AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.THREE_MIN then AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN then AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN then AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN then AggregationPeriod.HOUR
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN then AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS then AggregationPeriod.DAY
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS then AggregationPeriod.TWO_DAYS
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.DAY then AggregationPeriod.WEEK
  else if currentAggPeriod <= AggregationPeriod.WEEK then AggregationPeriod.MONTH
  else AggregationPeriod.QUARTER
;

script MoxieFunc {
  input price = close;
  def vc1 = ExpAverage(price, 12) - ExpAverage(price , 26);
  plot data = (vc1 - va1) * 3;
}

plot Moxie = MoxieFunc(close(period = higherAggPeriod));
Moxie.SetLineWeight(2);
Moxie.DefineColor("Up", Color.GREEN);
Moxie.DefineColor("Down", Color.RED);
def lastChange = if Moxie < Moxie[1] then 1 else 0;
Moxie.AssignValueColor(
  if lastChange == 1 then Moxie.Color("Down")
  else Moxie.Color("Up")
);

# Watkins uses a different setup for Moxie on his 15 minute charts.
# He uses two lines derived from two higher timeframes.
# For timeframes other than 15 minutes we'll use the same data as
# first Moxie line to reduce data requested from the server and
# improve performance.
def secondAggPeriod =
  if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN
  then AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS
  else currentAggPeriod
;

plot MoxieSecondLine =
  if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN
  then MoxieFunc(close(period = secondAggPeriod))
  else Double.NaN
;

MoxieSecondLine.SetLineWeight(2);
MoxieSecondLine.DefineColor("Up", Color.GREEN);
MoxieSecondLine.DefineColor("Down", Color.RED);
def lastChangeSecondLine = if MoxieSecondLine < MoxieSecondLine[1] then 1 else 0;
MoxieSecondLine.AssignValueColor(
  if lastChangeSecondLine == 1 then MoxieSecondLine.Color("Down")
  else MoxieSecondLine.Color("Up")
);
MoxieSecondLine.SetHiding(currentAggPeriod != AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN);

# Show vertical lines at crossovers
AddVerticalLine(showVerticalLines and Moxie[1] crosses above 0, "", CreateColor(0,150,0), Curve.SHORT_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(showVerticalLines and Moxie[1] crosses below 0, "", CreateColor(200,0,0), Curve.SHORT_DASH);

# Indicate the Trampoline setup
def sma50 = Average(close, 50);
plot Trampoline =
  if showTrampolines and ((Moxie < -.01 and close > sma50) or (Moxie > .01 and close < sma50))
  then 0
  else Double.NaN
;
Trampoline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.SQUARES);
Trampoline.DefineColor("Bullish", Color.LIGHT_GREEN);
Trampoline.DefineColor("Bearish", Color.PINK);
Trampoline.AssignValueColor(if close > sma50 then Trampoline.Color("Bearish") else Trampoline.Color("Bullish"));
Trampoline.HideBubble();
Trampoline.HideTitle();

AddLabel(
  yes,
  if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.WEEK then " W "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.Day then " D "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.HOUR then " H "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN then " 15 "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN then " 5 "
  else if currentAggPeriod == AggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN then " 2 "
  else " ",
  if Moxie < 0 then Color.RED else Color.GREEN
);

Trigger scan:
Ruby:
# because Moxie calculates from higher time frame
# to find daily entries, run this scan on weekly
# to find hourly entries, run this on daily
script Moxie {
    input priceC = close;
    def vc1 = ExpAverage(priceC , 12) - ExpAverage(priceC , 26);
    plot sData = (vc1 - va1) * 3;
}
def m = Moxie();
def moxieUpArrow = m > 0 and m[1] <= 0;
plot scan = moxieUpArrow within 1 bars;

Trampoline scan from @Sneaky_Swings earlier in this thread:
Ruby:
# because Moxie calculates from higher time frame
# to find daily entries, run this scan on weekly
# to find hourly entries, run this on daily

def ap1 = close;

script MoxieFunc {
    input priceC = close;
    def vc1 = ExpAverage(priceC , 12) - ExpAverage(priceC , 26);
    plot sData = (vc1 - va1) * 3;
}

def price = close;
def s2 = MoxieFunc(price);

def ZeroLine = 0;
def Moxie = s2;

# Indicate the Trampoline setup
def sma50 = SimpleMovingAvg(close, 50);

plot trampoline = (Moxie > 0.1 and close < sma50);

Damn, @Slippage, this is awesome. Is there any chance that you could merge these changes into the existing TradingView indicator? If so, that would be super helpful for the non-ToS folks.

Really appreciate your time and work here.

🙏

Last edited:
Quick question... You joined 13 minutes ago... Was that just so you could ask for someone to convert Thinkscript to Tradingview for you...??? What part of that do you consider ok...??? Why don't you ask the folks at Tradingview to convert the Thinkscript for you...???

Quick clarification; if you actually go back through the thread, you will have seen that @Slippage used the original TradingView indicator for his ToS equivalent, and in doing so, actually added some pretty cool features. Given the context and his great additions, it would be awesome to have an updated TV equivalent.

As a longstanding lurker, I appreciate the warm welcome. 🙃

Much appreciated. That said, let's keep this on topic and refrain from detracting away from the great work and discussion happening here. 👍

I haven't called any actual trades since I'm new in there but I did mention today when it looked like SNAP was done consolidating and ready for another leg up. Unfortunately, it struggled with the 15m 50 SMA and then the market turned down. I got stopped out on it, too. I'm using super small risk, though.

My big scan that applies just about all of the rules is earlier in this thread where I posted all the pieces for Fenway. I know you're all set now since I shared it with you in the Moxie trading room but I figured I'd reply here in case others are looking for a scan.

I'm actually not an experienced trader. I'm just good at TOS. I'm a recently-early-retired software engineer so figuring out how apps work and being able to write code both come quickly to me.

Not yet. A couple of weeks ago I took a quick stab at adding divergence visuals based on an RSI divergence script Mobius wrote but it didn't work well just dropping that in. It'll take a bigger effort. I'm guessing due to scaling. RSI is 0 to 100 and Moxie is -whatever to +whatever and that scale is very small (-5 to +5 or smaller from what I've seen) and differs a lot from stock to stock. I don't expect to have that working any time soon, mostly because I probably won't get a chance to work on it very soon.

I've been day trading for a little while and I have a strategy that works okay for that. I'm from the US and I moved to Southeast Asia a year ago. For me the market opens at 10:30pm right now and closes at 5am. I was trading the whole session when I first moved here, which ****ed. More recently I've only been opening trades until 11:30am market time but then I still have to stay awake until they hit their targets, get stopped out or I close them at the end of the day. I want to be done with that schedule which is why I'm looking to swing trade instead. And that's where Moxie comes in.

In the past I've focused my research/learning almost exclusively on day trading and I passed over anything having to do with swing trading. Recently, I searched on YouTube for swing trading. Most of what I found was people using TTM_Squeeze or SqueezPro and in the search results I also found Raghee Horner (of Simpler Trading) and TG's Moxie videos.

Of the three, Moxie seemed most like a strategy that would be a fit for me, though Squeeze is simpler. Squeeze seemed directionally unreliable, though, with just relying on its momentum histogram for direction. TG's strategy is very well-defined in terms of direction. I watched a bunch of TG's YouTube videos and then searched online to see if I could find the code to try before I buy. I found it here and started working on fixing the 15m second line, then added the trampoline, vertical lines, the upper study with the arrows and scans and did a general cleanup on the code.

The idea of eventually automating my trades so I don't even need to be involved appeals to me and TG's strategy might be too subjective for that. Especially without code that detects divergence well. So I took a brief detour into Squeeze. I re-read John Carter's book which details the strategy for Squeeze with additional filters from his other indicators and I added some features based on the filters in the book to my SqueezePro clone. I got into a couple of trades with that which went well.

Then TG had his million dollar day and ST started their marketing push about it. Conversation in this Moxie thread picked up quite a bit. I don't care about his million dollar day. That's hype and could just as easily be luck. But the questions people were asking me here in this thread kept pulling me back in and I do like the strategy so I figured I'll give it a real try.

Ruby:
# 15m Two Lines Together
input threshold = 20;

def m = v - a;

def m2 = v2 - a2;

plot scan =
  together
  and together[1]
  and together[2]
  and together[3]
;
Hi Slippage,
The approximation using 2x's period is accurate for H2, and makes the "together" calculation more accurate since the same stair steps (h1) are used. So that is a good way to do it, the results will be as good or better than separate H1/H2 aggregation periods.

I like the simple together and'ing of the last 4 bars, but I think that each of the bars is going to be the same value, since on the H1 stair step, so may be possible to just check latest together bar.

Using this period multiplication vs HTF aggregation period approach can be used for all timeframes, which would eliminate the repainting, everything would be calculated bar by bar in the current timeframe. Staircase can be added using quantization if it is useful. This is just a suggestion as it provides a "continuous" HTF line vs the stairstep. The advantage of this is that the zero cross will be more timely/definitive than the HTF repainting bar, but will be more dynamic (ie a line with values changing bar to bar, vs a (repainting) stair step for N bars).

Last edited:
Damn, @Slippage, this is awesome. Is there any chance that you could merge these changes into the existing TradingView indicator? If so, that would be super helpful for the non-ToS folks.

Really appreciate your time and work here.

🙏

I have no plan to post a Moxie clone for TradingView. That would be shady now that I bought their code and probably a good way to get kicked out of the Mastery subscription I paid for if they would notice it. The code I posted on this site was before I had access to their code, aside from a small bug fix. And even with having an equivalent (arguably better) version I still paid for theirs.

I asked a couple days ago about the status of getting a legit Moxie on TradingView and the answer from others in the room is "coming soon". I think that's been the answer for a long time, though. I'm not sure if Simpler Trading is trying to get it built into the platform and code protected and that's the hold up or if there's some other issue slowing it down. If it's that they don't have it working I'll offer to build it for them.

Hi Homemadeifmyself,
If you have the TOS code for MACD divergence, modifying it to work for Moxie should actually be reasonably straight forward I would think, since Moxie is really just an oscillator of MACD (ie MACD - MACD.ave).

Volatility Trading Range

VTR is a momentum indicator that shows if a stock is overbought or oversold based on its Weekly and Monthly average volatility trading range.

Download the indicator