Volume Buy Sell Indicator with Hot Percent for ThinkorSwim

vikram

VIP
@horserider I am using this indicator in combination with several other indicators. I use 5min and 15min chart, if possible can you please add one additional information to this indicator ?
  • If Sell Volume is more than 80% in a candle, display text "Resistance level"
  • If Buy Volume is more than 80% in a candle, display text "Support Level"

cswu1211

VIP
@horserider Excellent work! regarding "Bars with a specified percent over the average volume are marked on the bar", can't find the Marked Bar on your attached chart. How can it be done?!

perseverance_trading1

VIP
I am looking for a script that show volume on the buy and sell side as well as percentages. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

unknown.png
@Bugs_Munny ,

Did you ever a response or have you made any progress on finding this? I've seen the same thing on eTrade but do not have the code for either. Keep me posted.

@zeek

Code:
declare lower;

#Inputs

input ShowSellVolumePercent = yes;

def O = open;
def H = high;
def C = close;
def L = low;
def V = volume;
def buying = V*(C-L)/(H-L);
def selling = V*(H-C)/(H-L);

#Volume Data

def today = volume(period = "DAY");

def curVolume = volume;

def SellVolPercent = Round((Selling / Volume) * 100, 0);

# Labels

AddLabel(ShowSellVolumePercent, "Cur Bar Sell %: " + SellVolPercent, (if SellVolPercent > 51 then Color.RED else if SellVolPercent < 49 then Color.GREEN else Color.ORANGE));

@horserider

What a great snippet of code.
Thank you for sharing, very grateful.

This will help a lot when combined with Fib Extensions and Elliott Wave.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Quantum33

Hey guys, new to the boards here. Hopefully I won't be to much of a burden. So I just had a question about this indicator and the weekly timeframe. For some reason it's not working with that TF at all. Would anyone know why?

rad14733

Staff member
VIP
Hey guys, new to the boards here. Hopefully I won't be to much of a burden. So I just had a question about this indicator and the weekly timeframe. For some reason it's not working with that TF at all. Would anyone know why?

The code from which post in this topic, the one in the 1st post on Page 1...???

rad14733

Staff member
VIP
horseriders volume indicator for some reason doesn't want to work with the weekly time frame on my tos.

That's because the Study is based on 30D MA's... It isn't intended to be used on such long term outlooks... In short, it's the wrong tool for the job you are asking it to do...

Nomak

2019 Donor
I am looking for a script that show volume on the buy and sell side as well as percentages. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

unknown.png

@Bugs_Munny ,

Did you ever a response or have you made any progress on finding this? I've seen the same thing on eTrade but do not have the code for either. Keep me posted.

@horserider

What a great snippet of code.
Thank you for sharing, very grateful.

This will help a lot when combined with Fib Extensions and Elliott Wave.

Cheers!

Hi Bugs_Munny, have you gotten the code for this? If so, can you please share?

Last week I look into basic Thinkscript coding I was able to follow the pattern from Horserider. This version does the aggregation by day or smaller time frame. For example, a 5 mins bar then resets to the next 5 mins. I would run two of these studies together one by day and the other by the time frame you trade on.

Code:
# Show SELL and BUY Volume and percentage.
# Referencing credit to Horserider script at https://usethinkscript.com/threads/volume-buy-sell-indicator-with-hot-percent-for-thinkorswim.389/
# Nomak 02/21/2020

declare lower; 
input timeframe = AggregationPeriod.DAY;

def Vol = volume(period = timeframe);
def at_High = high(period = timeframe);
def at_Open = open(period = timeframe);
def at_Close = close(period = timeframe);
def at_Low = low(period = timeframe);
def Vol1 = volume(period = timeframe);
def at_High1 = high(period = timeframe);
def at_Open1 = open(period = timeframe);
def at_Close1 = close(period = timeframe);
def at_Low1 = low(period = timeframe);

# Buy_Volume forumla is volume * (close_price minus low_price) / (High_price minus low_price)
def Buy_Volume = roundup(Vol * (at_close - at_low) / (at_High - at_Low));
def Buy_percent = roundup((Buy_volume / Vol) * 100);

#Sell_Volume forumla is  volume * (High_price minus Close_price) / (High_price minus Low_price)
def Sell_Volume = rounddown(Vol1 * (at_High1 - at_Close1) / (at_High1 - at_low1));
def Sell_percent = roundup((Sell_Volume / Vol1) * 100);

Addlabel(yes, "BuyVol " + Buy_Volume, Color.Green);
Addlabel(yes, "SellVol " + Sell_Volume, Color.Red);
AddLabel(yes, "Buy % " + Buy_percent, Color.Green);
Addlabel(yes, "Sell % " + Sell_percent, Color.Red);

SoXoS

Last week I look into basic Thinkscript coding I was able to follow the pattern from Horserider. This version does the aggregation by day or smaller time frame. For example, a 5 mins bar then resets to the next 5 mins. I would run two of these studies together one by day and the other by the time frame you trade on.

Code:
# Show SELL and BUY Volume and percentage.
# Referencing credit to Horserider script at https://usethinkscript.com/threads/volume-buy-sell-indicator-with-hot-percent-for-thinkorswim.389/
# Nomak 02/21/2020

declare lower;
input timeframe = AggregationPeriod.DAY;

def Vol = volume(period = timeframe);
def at_High = high(period = timeframe);
def at_Open = open(period = timeframe);
def at_Close = close(period = timeframe);
def at_Low = low(period = timeframe);
def Vol1 = volume(period = timeframe);
def at_High1 = high(period = timeframe);
def at_Open1 = open(period = timeframe);
def at_Close1 = close(period = timeframe);
def at_Low1 = low(period = timeframe);

# Buy_Volume forumla is volume * (close_price minus low_price) / (High_price minus low_price)
def Buy_Volume = roundup(Vol * (at_close - at_low) / (at_High - at_Low));
def Buy_percent = roundup((Buy_volume / Vol) * 100);

#Sell_Volume forumla is  volume * (High_price minus Close_price) / (High_price minus Low_price)
def Sell_Volume = rounddown(Vol1 * (at_High1 - at_Close1) / (at_High1 - at_low1));
def Sell_percent = roundup((Sell_Volume / Vol1) * 100);

Addlabel(yes, "BuyVol " + Buy_Volume, Color.Green);
Addlabel(yes, "SellVol " + Sell_Volume, Color.Red);
AddLabel(yes, "Buy % " + Buy_percent, Color.Green);
Addlabel(yes, "Sell % " + Sell_percent, Color.Red);

this is pretty cool! how would one make a scan or watchlist for this?

Trend Trader

Volume indicator showing total, buy, and sell volumes as a histogram. Also average volume as a line plot. Bars with a specified percent over the average volume are marked on the bar. Additional Volume information provided by labels.
Rework of the previous study to show better representation of what volume is doing. Please consider replacing the old study if you are using it.

2019-12-30-TOS-CHARTS.png

Code:
# Show total volume in gray.  Buying volume in green.  Sell Volume in red.
# Volume average is gray line.
# Specified percent over average volume is cyan triangles.
# Horserider 12/30/2019 derived from some already existing studies.

declare lower;

#Inputs

input Show30DayAvg = yes;
input ShowTodayVolume =  yes;
input ShowPercentOf30DayAvg = yes;
input UnusualVolumePercent = 200;
input Show30BarAvg = yes;
input ShowCurrentBar = yes;
input ShowPercentOf30BarAvg = yes;

def O = open;
def H = high;
def C = close;
def L = low;
def V = volume;

# Selling Volume

Plot SellVol = selling;
SellVol.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Histogram);
SellVol.SetDefaultColor(Color.Red);
SellVol.HideTitle();
SellVol.HideBubble();
SellVol.SetLineWeight(1);

# Total Volume

# Note that Selling + Buying Volume = Volume.
plot TV =  volume;

TV.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HISTOGRAM);
TV.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
#TV.HideTitle();
#TV.HideBubble();
TV.SetLineWeight(1);

Plot BuyVol = buying;
BuyVol.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Histogram);
BuyVol.SetDefaultColor(Color.Green);
BuyVol.HideTitle();
BuyVol.HideBubble();
BuyVol.SetLineWeight(5);

#Volume Data

def volLast30DayAvg = (volume(period = "DAY")[1] + volume(period = "DAY")[2] + volume(period = "DAY")[3] + volume(period = "DAY")[4] + volume(period = "DAY")[5] + volume(period = "DAY")[6] + volume(period = "DAY")[7] + volume(period = "DAY")[8] + volume(period = "DAY")[9] + volume(period = "DAY")[10] + volume(period = "DAY")[11] + volume(period = "DAY")[12] + volume(period = "DAY")[13] + volume(period = "DAY")[14] + volume(period = "DAY")[15] + volume(period = "DAY")[16] + volume(period = "DAY")[17] + volume(period = "DAY")[18] + volume(period = "DAY")[19] + volume(period = "DAY")[20] + volume(period = "DAY")[21] + volume(period = "DAY")[22] + volume(period = "DAY")[23] + volume(period = "DAY")[24] + volume(period = "DAY")[25] + volume(period = "DAY")[26] + volume(period = "DAY")[27] + volume(period = "DAY")[28] + volume(period = "DAY")[29] + volume(period = "DAY")[30]) / 30;
def percentOf30Day = Round((today / volLast30DayAvg) * 100, 0);
def avg30Bars = (volume[1] + volume[2] + volume[3] + volume[4] + volume[5] + volume[6] + volume[7] + volume[8] + volume[9] + volume[10] + volume[11] + volume[12] + volume[13] + volume[14] + volume[15] + volume[16] + volume[17] + volume[18] + volume[19] + volume[20] + volume[21] + volume[22] + volume[23] + volume[24] + volume[25] + volume[26] + volume[27] + volume[28] + volume[29] + volume[30]) / 30;
def curVolume = volume;
def percentOf30Bar = Round((curVolume / avg30Bars) * 100, 0);

# Labels

AddLabel(Show30DayAvg, "Avg 30 Days: " + Round(volLast30DayAvg, 0), Color.LIGHT_GRAY);

AddLabel(ShowTodayVolume, "Today: " + today, (if percentOf30Day >= UnusualVolumePercent then Color.GREEN else if percentOf30Day >= 100 then Color.ORANGE else Color.LIGHT_GRAY));

AddLabel(ShowPercentOf30DayAvg, percentOf30Day + "%", (if percentOf30Day >= UnusualVolumePercent then Color.GREEN else if percentOf30Day >= 100 then Color.ORANGE else Color.WHITE) );

AddLabel(Show30BarAvg, "Avg 30 Bars: " + Round(avg30Bars, 0), Color.LIGHT_GRAY);

AddLabel(ShowCurrentBar, "Cur Bar: " + curVolume, (if percentOf30Bar >= UnusualVolumePercent then Color.GREEN else if PercentOf30Bar >= 100 then Color.ORANGE else Color.LIGHT_GRAY));

AddLabel(ShowPercentOf30BarAvg, PercentOf30Bar + "%", (if PercentOf30Bar >= UnusualVolumePercent then Color.GREEN else if PercentOf30Bar >= 100 then Color.ORANGE else Color.WHITE) );

AddLabel(ShowSellVolumePercent, "Cur Bar Sell %: " + SellVolPercent, (if SellVolPercent > 51 then Color.RED else if SellVolPercent < 49 then Color.GREEN else Color.ORANGE));

input length = 20;
plot VolAvg = Average(volume, length);

VolAvg.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(7));

# hiVolume indicator
# source: http://tinboot.blogspot.com
# author: allen everhart

input type = { default SMP, EXP } ;
input length1 = 20 ;
input hotPct = 100.0 ;

def ma =
if type == type.SMP then
SimpleMovingAvg(volume, length)
else
MovAvgExponential(volume, length);

plot hv =
if 100 * ((volume / ma) - 1) >= hotPct then
ma
else
Double.NaN;

hv.SetDefaultColor( Color.CYAN);
hv.SetLineWeight(1) ;
hv.SetPaintingStrategy( PaintingStrategy.TRIANGLES);
May I please get the code or tos link for the
upper volume study.

Thank you.

Necrosway

Question @horserider and anyone else with insight,
Using Mobius/Horseriders buy/sell volume estimation formula in a custom python script.
(Formula);

would adding the total sum of (buying - selling) of each bar and coming out with a final number. (example. -1080341), be a good estimated short/negative overall shares/volume? Obviously there would be problems since you can't know the price each share was traded at, but would this be a valid estimation strategy? Or a waste of time. Thanks

Last edited:

Tjandra

VIP
Volume indicator showing total, buy, and sell volumes as a histogram. Also average volume as a line plot. Bars with a specified percent over the average volume are marked on the bar. Additional Volume information provided by labels.
Rework of the previous study to show better representation of what volume is doing. Please consider replacing the old study if you are using it.

2019-12-30-TOS-CHARTS.png

Code:
# Show total volume in gray.  Buying volume in green.  Sell Volume in red.
# Volume average is gray line.
# Specified percent over average volume is cyan triangles.
# Horserider 12/30/2019 derived from some already existing studies.

declare lower;

#Inputs

input Show30DayAvg = yes;
input ShowTodayVolume =  yes;
input ShowPercentOf30DayAvg = yes;
input UnusualVolumePercent = 200;
input Show30BarAvg = yes;
input ShowCurrentBar = yes;
input ShowPercentOf30BarAvg = yes;

def O = open;
def H = high;
def C = close;
def L = low;
def V = volume;

# Selling Volume

Plot SellVol = selling;
SellVol.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Histogram);
SellVol.SetDefaultColor(Color.Red);
SellVol.HideTitle();
SellVol.HideBubble();
SellVol.SetLineWeight(1);

# Total Volume

# Note that Selling + Buying Volume = Volume.
plot TV =  volume;

TV.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HISTOGRAM);
TV.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
#TV.HideTitle();
#TV.HideBubble();
TV.SetLineWeight(1);

Plot BuyVol = buying;
BuyVol.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Histogram);
BuyVol.SetDefaultColor(Color.Green);
BuyVol.HideTitle();
BuyVol.HideBubble();
BuyVol.SetLineWeight(5);

#Volume Data

def volLast30DayAvg = (volume(period = "DAY")[1] + volume(period = "DAY")[2] + volume(period = "DAY")[3] + volume(period = "DAY")[4] + volume(period = "DAY")[5] + volume(period = "DAY")[6] + volume(period = "DAY")[7] + volume(period = "DAY")[8] + volume(period = "DAY")[9] + volume(period = "DAY")[10] + volume(period = "DAY")[11] + volume(period = "DAY")[12] + volume(period = "DAY")[13] + volume(period = "DAY")[14] + volume(period = "DAY")[15] + volume(period = "DAY")[16] + volume(period = "DAY")[17] + volume(period = "DAY")[18] + volume(period = "DAY")[19] + volume(period = "DAY")[20] + volume(period = "DAY")[21] + volume(period = "DAY")[22] + volume(period = "DAY")[23] + volume(period = "DAY")[24] + volume(period = "DAY")[25] + volume(period = "DAY")[26] + volume(period = "DAY")[27] + volume(period = "DAY")[28] + volume(period = "DAY")[29] + volume(period = "DAY")[30]) / 30;
def percentOf30Day = Round((today / volLast30DayAvg) * 100, 0);
def avg30Bars = (volume[1] + volume[2] + volume[3] + volume[4] + volume[5] + volume[6] + volume[7] + volume[8] + volume[9] + volume[10] + volume[11] + volume[12] + volume[13] + volume[14] + volume[15] + volume[16] + volume[17] + volume[18] + volume[19] + volume[20] + volume[21] + volume[22] + volume[23] + volume[24] + volume[25] + volume[26] + volume[27] + volume[28] + volume[29] + volume[30]) / 30;
def curVolume = volume;
def percentOf30Bar = Round((curVolume / avg30Bars) * 100, 0);

# Labels

AddLabel(Show30DayAvg, "Avg 30 Days: " + Round(volLast30DayAvg, 0), Color.LIGHT_GRAY);

AddLabel(ShowTodayVolume, "Today: " + today, (if percentOf30Day >= UnusualVolumePercent then Color.GREEN else if percentOf30Day >= 100 then Color.ORANGE else Color.LIGHT_GRAY));

AddLabel(ShowPercentOf30DayAvg, percentOf30Day + "%", (if percentOf30Day >= UnusualVolumePercent then Color.GREEN else if percentOf30Day >= 100 then Color.ORANGE else Color.WHITE) );

AddLabel(Show30BarAvg, "Avg 30 Bars: " + Round(avg30Bars, 0), Color.LIGHT_GRAY);

AddLabel(ShowCurrentBar, "Cur Bar: " + curVolume, (if percentOf30Bar >= UnusualVolumePercent then Color.GREEN else if PercentOf30Bar >= 100 then Color.ORANGE else Color.LIGHT_GRAY));

AddLabel(ShowPercentOf30BarAvg, PercentOf30Bar + "%", (if PercentOf30Bar >= UnusualVolumePercent then Color.GREEN else if PercentOf30Bar >= 100 then Color.ORANGE else Color.WHITE) );

input length = 20;
plot VolAvg = Average(volume, length);

VolAvg.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(7));

# hiVolume indicator
# source: http://tinboot.blogspot.com
# author: allen everhart

input type = { default SMP, EXP } ;
input length1 = 20 ;
input hotPct = 100.0 ;

def ma =
if type == type.SMP then
SimpleMovingAvg(volume, length)
else
MovAvgExponential(volume, length);

plot hv =
if 100 * ((volume / ma) - 1) >= hotPct then
ma
else
Double.NaN;

hv.SetDefaultColor( Color.CYAN);
hv.SetLineWeight(1) ;
hv.SetPaintingStrategy( PaintingStrategy.TRIANGLES);
Thank you for sharing. I get the Cur Bar Sell/Buy at the bottom, but I don't see the Histogram. Is there a reason for this?

crscrs85

Can we take this down? Or at least modify the comment up top so it doesn't credit 7of9. This is just a slightly modified study thats been available on the web for a while. 7of9 is a known code thief.

The original author is unknown.
Does this one show actual buy volume %? the volume indicator selling on BRT by 7of9 states that it uses the internal bar strength(IBS) formula to separate red(sell) and green(buy) on the volume bars