Trend Painter Indicator With Buy & Sell Signals for ThinkorSwim

@K_O_Trader I'd like to set up a scanner based on your Trend Painter of June 11th. I'd like it to scan for a buy signal on a smaller time frame (eg. 1 hr. or 30 min.) while the daily chart is in an Uptrend or Strong Uptrend. How would you suggest I do that?
Thanks in advance.
Use a ATR Trailing stop loss indicator with the trend painter, also you can copy and past the trend painter to make a column and it will tell you the trend that that stock is in, just make sure you change the time frame at the top to what ever you prefer

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Greetings everyone. For those of you who found the trendpainter useful please see below the addition to the thinkscript. I used the original trendpainter thinkscript to creates a watchlist column for the "current trend" and the buy and sell signals (arrow up and arrow down within the chart) (see chart below). I hope you find this useful as well.

Thumbs Up/Down Watchlist column (based on the trendpainter thinkscript originally coded by @BenTen.) The thumbs up is based on the buysignal section of the thinkscript.

The thumbs up is aligned to the thumps up or thumps down within the chart.) The time frame is the same as the chart 1m but you can change the time frame. Remember if you change the time frame for the trendpainter chart you have to change it for the watchlist as well. I also created a scan for the trendpainter where you can scan for stocks that are only strongbuy, etc. I also use this with the RVI as well. In this way it would only show RVI stocks that are strongbuy.

The below code was added to the original trendpainter code to create the custom Thumbs up/down watchlist.

Code:
def arrowup = buysignal;
def arrowdown = sellsignal;

def trigger = if arrowup then 100 else if arrowdown then -100 else trigger [1];

AddLabel(yes,(if trigger == 100 then "👍" else if trigger == -100 then "👎" else "NA"));

AssignbackgroundColor(if trigger == 100 then Color.dark_Green else if arrowdown == -100 then Color.dark_Red else Color.black);

TrendPainter Watchlist Column

I used the original trendpainter script and added the following script to create the custom watchlist.

Code:
def uptrend = buy;
def Stronguptrend = strongbuy;
def downtrend = sell;
def Strongdowntrend = strongsell;

AssignbackgroundColor (if uptrend then Color.Dark_GREEN else if Stronguptrend then Color.Green else if downtrend then color.dark_RED  else if Strongdowntrend then Color.RED else Color.Black);

AddLabel(yes,if uptrend then "UP" else if Stronguptrend then "Buy" else if downtrend then "Down" else if Strongdowntrend then "Bear" else "Neutral", if stronguptrend then color.black else if strongdowntrend then color.black else color.white );

This is an example using today's aftermarket gapper scan. The watchlist column shows the trendpainter column and the arrowstay column. As you can see they mirror the chart. Before I would review each chart to determine trends. Now that I created the column for the watchlist that is not necessary. I can filter using these columns as well to find all the stocks that are currently in a strong up trend( Up is "uptrend", buy is "strong uptrend," down is "down trend", bear is "strong downtrend."

There are instances where a ticker can be in or coming out of a downtrend and give a buy signal due to the volume etc.

Thumbs-UPDown.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@BonBon n are you saying you added your two codes for thumbs and signals to the end of BenTen's trend code as a study, then you also created a custom column with the custom watchlist column creator by selecting that study, and then added that as a column to the watchlist?

Or is this meant to be created as a study first and then added to TOS Scanner?

Last edited:
has anyone actually traded with this and made a profit?

Yes I use this to trade with profits

Yesterday, I used my premarket scanner just to get a feel for the pm movers. Then at 9:30 I ran my RVI scanner (using the thinkscript "buysignal" instead of the thinkscript strongbuyl). IPDN, PEIX, IZEA and ARC were the top ones based on my scan. I usually scan .05-$3.00

The buy signal for IPDN came at $1.20 and it went to a high of $2.20 before retracing.
The buy signal for PEIX came at $1.93 and it went to a high of $2.48. It has not retraced or made a significant dip as yet.
The buy signal for ARC came at $1.09 and it went to a high of $1.39.
The buy signal for IZEA came at $1.36 and it went to a high of $1.72.

I created a scanner for the trendpainter as well. This correlates with the chart and watchlist columns. (see my post on Relative Volume Strategy and Momentum Scanner for ThinkorSwim pages 9 -10

has anyone actually traded with this and made a profit?
@BonBon n are you saying you added your two codes for thumbs and signals to the end of BenTen's trend code as a study, then you also created a custom column with the custom watchlist column creator by selecting that study, and then added that as a column to the watchlist?

Or is this meant to be created as a study first and then added to TOS Scanner?

Yes I did. However, first I created the watchlist columns months ago. Recently, I had an "ah ha" moment that resulted in the creation of the trendpainter scanner. I added them to the end of BenTen's code but had to make some tweaks (I could only use one plot in the scan). see my post on Relative Volume Strategy and Momentum Scanner for ThinkorSwim pages 9 -10.

I also embedded the study within my RVI scan as well. This enabled me to use the "buy signal" resulting in RVI stocks that showed an increase in volumn that were on the uptrend based on the signal.

Hope this helps.

@BonBon, am I understanding correctly that you used the TrendPainter code in two areas — as well as added your script — with one location being a study, and the second location custom columns?

Thanks....

@CDJay I used it in three areas. I have the original code on my chart. Then I created the watchlist column to alleviate having to check charts to determine those that are strongbuy or sell etc. (depending if I am going long or short). The watchlist column correlates with the signals and trends that are found on the chart. Finally, I tweaked the code from the watchlist to create the trendpainter scan (in one scan I plotted the strongbuy, in another I plotted the buysignal etc.). The scan also correlates with the chart and watchlist columns which allows for consistency and validity regarding the results of the scan etc.

Greetings everyone

Please see below. These are the changes I made to the original trendpainter code so it can be used as a watchlist column and and as a scan. The original code is to be used within the chart study.

#Revised TrendPainter code for Watchlist Column (thermolookbackbars and the trading session must mirror that of the trendpainter on the chart). I removed the original "asignbackground color" and "addlabel' script and replaced it with the below.

def uptrend = buy;
def downtrend = sell;

AssignbackgroundColor (if uptrend then Color.Dark_GREEN else if Stronguptrend then Color.Green else if downtrend then color.dark_RED else if Strongdowntrend then Color.RED else Color.Black);

AddLabel(yes,if uptrend then "UP" else if Stronguptrend then "Buy" else if downtrend then "Down" else if Strongdowntrend then "Bear" else "Neutral", if stronguptrend then color.black else if strongdowntrend then color.black else color.white );

#Revised TrendPainter code for Stock Hacker scan (thermolookbackbars and the trading session must mirror that of the trendpainter on the chart and watchlist column). I removed the "asignbackground color" and "addlabel' script and replaced the 'plot" with "def". The only plot statement is the one below. This was added at the end of the script.

plot scan = strongbuy;

If you want to plot the buysignal, sell signal, strongsell etc simply replace strongbuy.

Hope this helps.

@BonBon Okay so what am I doing with this new code? Does this go at the end of the code in post #1?

Code:
def uptrend = buy;
def downtrend = sell;

AssignbackgroundColor (if uptrend then Color.Dark_GREEN else if Stronguptrend then Color.Green else if downtrend then color.dark_RED else if Strongdowntrend then Color.RED else Color.Black);

So at the end the entire code is supposed to look like this?
Code:
input ThermoLookBackBars = 50;
input PlotType = {default AdaptiveMovingAverages, Standard};

def HighLowScore = 1000 * ((high - high[1]) / (high[1]) +
(low - low[1]) / low[1]);

#ATR TrailingStop Code
input trailType = {default modified, unmodified};
input ATRPeriod = 5;
input ATRFactor = 3.5;
input firstTrade = {default long, short};

def HiLo = Min(high - low, 1.5 * Average(high - low, ATRPeriod));
def HRef = if low <= high[1]
    then high - close[1]
    else (high - close[1]) - 0.5 * (low - high[1]);
def LRef = if high >= low[1]
    then close[1] - low
    else (close[1] - low) - 0.5 * (low[1] - high);
def ATRMod = ExpAverage(Max(HiLo, Max(HRef, LRef)), 2 * ATRPeriod - 1);

def loss;
switch (trailType) {
case modified:
    loss = ATRFactor * ATRMod;
case unmodified:
    loss = ATRFactor * Average(TrueRange(high,  close,  low),  ATRPeriod);
}

rec state = {default init, long, short};
rec trail;
switch (state[1]) {
case init:
    if (!IsNaN(loss)) {
        switch (firstTrade) {
        case long:
            state = state.long;
            trail =  close - loss;
        case short:
            state = state.short;
            trail = close + loss;
    }
    } else {
        state = state.init;
        trail = Double.NaN;
    }
case long:
    if (close > trail[1]) {
        state = state.long;
        trail = Max(trail[1], close - loss);
    }
    else {
        state = state.short;
        trail = close + loss;
    }
case short:
    if (close < trail[1]) {
        state = state.short;
        trail = Min(trail[1], close + loss);
    }
    else {
        state = state.long;
        trail =  close - loss;
    }
}

def BuySignal = Crosses(state == state.long, 0, CrossingDirection.ABOVE);
def SellSignal = Crosses(state == state.short, 0, CrossingDirection.ABOVE);

plot TrailingStop = trail;
TrailingStop.Hide();
#End ATR Trailing Stop Code

def A = Highest(high[1], ThermoLookBackBars);
def B = Lowest(low[1], ThermoLookBackBars);

def FiftyTwoWeekHigh = A;

def FiftyTwoWeekLow = B;

def FiftyTwoWeekScore = 10 * (((high
- FiftyTwoWeekHigh) / FiftyTwoWeekHigh) +
((low - FiftyTwoWeekLow) / FiftyTwoWeekLow));

def ThermoScore = ExpAverage(HighLowScore + FiftyTwoWeekScore, ThermoLookBackBars);

input FastLengthShort = 5;
input SlowLengthShort = 15;
input EffRatioShort = 10;
input FastLengthLong = 10;
input SlowLengthLong = 25;
input EffRatioLong = 5;

def AMA = MovAvgAdaptive(ThermoScore, FastLengthShort, SlowLengthShort, EffRatioShort);
def AMA2 = MovAvgAdaptive(ThermoScore, FastLengthLong, SlowLengthLong, EffRatioLong);

plot Line1;
Line1.Hide();
plot Line2;
Line2.Hide();

switch (PlotType) {
case AdaptiveMovingAverages:
    Line1 = AMA;
    Line2 = AMA2;
case Standard:
    Line1 = ThermoScore;
    Line2 = ThermoScore;
}

def InvisibleLine = close * 0;
plot Line3 = InvisibleLine;
Line3.Hide();

def Buy = Line1 > 0 and Line2 < 0 and state == state.long;
def StrongBuy = Line1 > 0 and Line2 >= 0 and state == state.long;
def Sell = Line1 < 0 and Line2 > 0 and state == state.short;
def StrongSell = Line1 < 0 and Line2 <= 0 and state == state.short;

plot GU = BuySignal;
GU.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
GU.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));
GU.SetLineWeight(2);

plot GX = SellSignal;
GX.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
GX.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));
GX.SetLineWeight(2);

AssignPriceColor(if Buy then Color.DARK_GREEN else if StrongBuy then Color.GREEN else if Sell then Color.DARK_RED else if StrongSell then Color.RED else Color.BLUE);

AddLabel(yes, Concat("Current Reading is ", (if Buy then "Up Trend" else if StrongBuy then "Strong Up Trend" else if Sell then "Down Trend" else if StrongSell then "Strong Down Trend" else "Neutral")),  if Buy then Color.DARK_GREEN else if StrongBuy then Color.GREEN else if Sell then Color.DARK_RED else if StrongSell then Color.RED else Color.GRAY);

def uptrend = buy;
def downtrend = sell;

I'm trying so hard to follow lol.

@BonBon Okay so what am I doing with this new code? Does this go at the end of the code in post #1?

Code:
def uptrend = buy;
def downtrend = sell;

So at the end the entire code is supposed to look like this?
Code:

#ATR TrailingStop Code
input ATRPeriod = 5;
input ATRFactor = 3.5;

then high - close[1]
    then close[1] - low

def loss;
switch (trailType) {
case modified:
case unmodified:
}

rec trail;
switch (state[1]) {
case init:
    if (!IsNaN(loss)) {
        switch (firstTrade) {
        case long:
            state = state.long;
            trail =  close - loss;
        case short:
            state = state.short;
            trail = close + loss;
    }
    } else {
        state = state.init;
        trail = Double.NaN;
    }
case long:
    if (close > trail[1]) {
        state = state.long;
    }
    else {
        state = state.short;
        trail = close + loss;
    }
case short:
    if (close < trail[1]) {
        state = state.short;
    }
    else {
        state = state.long;
        trail =  close - loss;
    }
}

TrailingStop.Hide();

def FiftyTwoWeekLow = B;

def ThermoScore = ExpAverage(HighLowScore + FiftyTwoWeekScore, ThermoLookBackBars);

input EffRatioLong = 5;

def AMA = MovAvgAdaptive(ThermoScore, FastLengthShort, SlowLengthShort, EffRatioShort);
def AMA2 = MovAvgAdaptive(ThermoScore, FastLengthLong, SlowLengthLong, EffRatioLong);

plot Line1;
Line1.Hide();
plot Line2;
Line2.Hide();

switch (PlotType) {
    Line1 = AMA;
    Line2 = AMA2;
case Standard:
    Line1 = ThermoScore;
    Line2 = ThermoScore;
}

Line3.Hide();

plot GU = BuySignal;
GU.SetLineWeight(2);

plot GX = SellSignal;
GX.SetLineWeight(2);

AssignPriceColor(if Buy then Color.DARK_GREEN else if StrongBuy then Color.GREEN else if Sell then Color.DARK_RED else if StrongSell then Color.RED else Color.BLUE);

AddLabel(yes, Concat("Current Reading is ", (if Buy then "Up Trend" else if StrongBuy then "Strong Up Trend" else if Sell then "Down Trend" else if StrongSell then "Strong Down Trend" else "Neutral")),  if Buy then Color.DARK_GREEN else if StrongBuy then Color.GREEN else if Sell then Color.DARK_RED else if StrongSell then Color.RED else Color.GRAY);

def uptrend = buy;
def downtrend = sell;

I'm trying so hard to follow lol.

The assignpricecolor and first addlabel must be removed.

@BonBon Okay so I'm slightly modifying the original #1 post's code then? because that part is from post #1.

Now my Trendpainter code looks like this below.

Code:

#ATR TrailingStop Code
input ATRPeriod = 5;
input ATRFactor = 3.5;

then high - close[1]
    then close[1] - low

def loss;
switch (trailType) {
case modified:
case unmodified:
}

rec trail;
switch (state[1]) {
case init:
    if (!IsNaN(loss)) {
        switch (firstTrade) {
        case long:
            state = state.long;
            trail =  close - loss;
        case short:
            state = state.short;
            trail = close + loss;
    }
    } else {
        state = state.init;
        trail = Double.NaN;
    }
case long:
    if (close > trail[1]) {
        state = state.long;
    }
    else {
        state = state.short;
        trail = close + loss;
    }
case short:
    if (close < trail[1]) {
        state = state.short;
    }
    else {
        state = state.long;
        trail =  close - loss;
    }
}

TrailingStop.Hide();

def FiftyTwoWeekLow = B;

input EffRatioLong = 5;

plot Line1;
Line1.Hide();
plot Line2;
Line2.Hide();

switch (PlotType) {
    Line1 = AMA;
    Line2 = AMA2;
case Standard:
    Line1 = ThermoScore;
    Line2 = ThermoScore;
}

Line3.Hide();

plot GU = BuySignal;
GU.SetLineWeight(2);

plot GX = SellSignal;
GX.SetLineWeight(2);

def uptrend = buy;
def downtrend = sell;

But my chart background still changes to green. as you can see here. Am I putting this code in the wrong area?

hh.jpg

@murkr As a reminder the original is for the chart. The revisions I made are for the watchlist column and the scan. It is not for the chart. You must use the original script for the chart.

@BonBon
Ohh okay, when you told us to add your code to the bottom of the original code I thought you meant to edit the original code that is on the graph.

Okay noobs out there, I think I figured it out.

Copy the code in post #81 where I edit the original code with BonBon's code at the end.

go to your watchlist, right click> customize.
In the drop-down menu, click custom quotes.
Edit anyone of those custom1-20 you see
Delete the default Simplemovingavg
Click the "think script editor tab"
Paste in the code from post #81
right next to the column name change from D to 1-Minute (if you are looking at the 1-minute chart)

in the end, a new column will pop up in your watchlist corresponding to the Trendpainter color symbols.

jj.jpg

I often have a lot of columns display "loading" and it takes awhile to populate. Is there a way to avoid this or are all of you dealing with this same issue?

@murkr Not something we can control, to be honest. It's more about ToS's ability to handle the requests from these custom columns. I would reduce the number of custom columns and only use what is essential to avoid the "loading" issue.

@Z3VON What are you trying to scan for? The up and down arrows? If so, use the original indicator in post #1 and then watch the video tutorial from this thread.

Is there anyone here actually trading with Trend Painter on a consistent basis? If, are you a day trader or swing trader? Thank you

Is there anyone here actually trading with Trend Painter on a consistent basis? If, are you a day trader or swing trader? Thank you
Yes, i’ve been trading with it for the last two weeks and my success rate is 87.5%; however, i do not buy and sell solely when the reverse signal appears. I set a profit target and get out once i hit it.

@BenTen I like this trend painter but I would also like to see the bar colors (green or red). How can this be achieved?

Maybe, instead of painting the bar green, blue, or red you can have the chart background be highlighted in green, blue, or red. That way I can still see the bar colors (red or green) but also still see the trend painter.

Is this possible to do?

image.png