RSI in Laguerre Time MTF for ThinkorSwim

tomsk

VIP
Folks

I'm starting this new thread as suggested by @markos since there continues to be great interest in the RSI in Laguerre series of studies.
This is a brain dump of what I know. There are easily over 50 different variations/versions of the RSI in Laguerre time study

A former colleague of mine (actually my ex-boss and now trading partner) has been keeping track of all these versions from the get go
Frankly I have not looked into any of them at any great detail so can't pinpoint what the differences are other than the titles.
Not all of them have made it to JQ's OneNote.

Here's a list of what has been done in since 2015/2016 to the present day
  • RSI in Laguerre Time Auto Adj
  • RSI in Laguerre Time FE MTF
  • RSI in Laguerre Time MTF
  • RSI in Laguerre Time Price Self Adj
  • RSI in Laguerre Time Self Adj FE
Since there is great recent interest in the MTF series, I pieced together a CHANGE LOG of all the RSI in Laguerre Time MTF studies
There are a total of 8 different versions, all of them were written by BLT, another great coder
The penultimate version is v3b release in September 2019

Here then is the CHANGE LOG that details each version's release dates, as well as the associated tos.mx link
Please enjoy the resource, I hope this helps bring some structure to a better understanding of these MTF studies

tomsk

# RSI in Laguerre Time MTF Option

# 20160708-v1 blt, 7.8.2016, https://tos.mx/yXgsRl
# added new MTF Option; added Target Code (similar to other versions)
# added rsi value coloring and clouds
#
# 20160710-v1a blt, 7.10.2016, https://tos.mx/HtpyIW
#
# 20160712-v1b blt, 7.12.2016, https://tos.mx/her1Fn
# https://tos.mx/hyOpjd
# modified the target tracking to include entry and target bubbles. The entry bubbles will appear where there is a
# change in color of the rsi line
#
# 20160714-v2 blt, 7.14.2016, https://tos.mx/fQvjqt
# changed atr from atr() to average(truerange(h,c,l),atrlength) to allow atr to be that of the higher timeframe when it's
# selected, rather always the current timeframe for targets
#
# 20160715-v2a blt, 7.15.2016, https://tos.mx/WNaxBm
# added inputs to turn bubbles on/off. The bubbles were
# already moveable at the inputs m and z
#
# 20160717-v3 blt, 7.17.2016, https://tos.mx/pHMjFQ
# added candle (normal open, high, low, close) vs candle_hybrid candle type in Mobius' original version. The candle option
# was included to use when this is combined with another indicator, such as the Fractal Energy indicator.
# The candle_hybrid seems smoother. A label is added to show what type of candle is being used. Bubble Movers are better
# defined. Shortened Target Bubble. Added input output format to handle bonds, forex, etc format
#
# 20160822-v3a blt, 8.22.2016, https://tos.mx/AFPDeI
# Minor modifications, this is the latest version and is displayed on a 1min chart with the indicator set at 2min.
# The indicator can be displayed using the "Current" selection on any timeframe.
#
# 20190911-v3b blt, 9.11.2019, https://tos.mx/bQOnkR
# Minor modifications, re-released code

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

So I downloaded the last one but it gives the same signals as the Laguerre I was already using, it just looks different. I messed around with the aggregation dropdown and still no changes.

What is the concept behind the MTF laguerre? Mine seems to adjust just fine when I change timeframes. Thanks for explaining,

So I downloaded the last one but it gives the same signals as the Laguerre I was already using, it just looks different. I messed around with the aggregation dropdown and still no changes.

What is the concept behind the MTF laguerre? Mine seems to adjust just fine when I change timeframes. Thanks for explaining,
@dolomick please check the Tutorial Section. There will be an explanation in there.

Last edited:
@dolomick please check the Tutorial Section. There be an explanation in there.

The only real way to determine what this series of RSI in Laguerre Time MTF study really does is to examine the code structure. By all means please do go through the tutorial section that @markos eluded to in the previous post. However what I thought I'd do is to look at the code to get a handle on the inner workings of the study

The RSI in Laguerre Time MTF essentially has two modes of operation - either using regular candles or what the author terms hybrid candles where he suggests that the use of the Heiken Ashi definitions of OHLC appears to be working correctly on higher aggregations based on tests that he ran.

It then goes through a series of RSI in Laguerre computations (based on Mobius code) and displays labels and bubbles that defines entry/exit targets in relationship with OB/OS areas. In this specific situation my opinion is that the term MTF is sort of a misnomer. You can either choose to use the aggregation of the chart you are on or choose to use a higher aggregation.

If you are comfortable with these parameters then by all means do explore further.
Hope this helps at least some of you out there.

Thanks @tomsk. So the hybrid setting is better for Heiken Ashi? I like Laguerre RSI but I find it a little “twitchy”, and the RSI portion a bit too binary. The TMO or other RSI’s or stochastic oscillators allow you to see a series of higher lows for example, in a way that the Laguerre doesn’t, so I pair them. Not sure Laguerre will stay on my charts though as the MTF TMO, and an original TMO are pretty awesome paired. Still playing with the ideal setup as are many, I’m sure.

@dolomick Since you want less binary take a look at MTF RSI.

2019-11-22-TOS-CHARTS.png

@tomsk

I've been using the latest version of this RSI and I've run into an issue with trying to make a scanner for it. I'm trying to do something similar to Mobius's RSI FE scanner where it alerts when a symbol is crossing OB or OS. I've tried to declare the RSI as the plot and I'm not getting any results. I'm not sure if it's because of the entry and uptarget. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

@tomsk

I've been using the latest version of this RSI and I've run into an issue with trying to make a scanner for it. I'm trying to do something similar to Mobius's RSI FE scanner where it alerts when a symbol is crossing OB or OS. I've tried to declare the RSI as the plot and I'm not getting any results. I'm not sure if it's because of the entry and uptarget. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
@MAYissues Mobius had to re-write the RSI Laguerre Scanner because a TOS update broke it.
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...-fractal-energy-momentum-trend-indicator.116/

@markos Thanks for the response! I have the Mobius scanner updated and the scanner is working. Is it possible to scan the study in this thread? It seems like the study posted above is more responsive to price action and slightly leads the original Mobius RSI. Sorry if there's any confusion.

@tom
Thanks for the response! I have the Mobius scanner updated and the scanner is working. Is it possible to scan the study in this thread? It seems like the study posted above is more responsive to price action and slightly leads the original Mobius RSI. Sorry if there's any confusion.
Mobius is above all other coders in the known TOS universe. That is the only scan that he shared after the scanner "broke".
I Quote: "Johnny, this will scan" was what he said. Then he posted the code I attached above.
That being said, you're making this way harder than it needs to be... Go ahead and try another study to scan. You can do anything you want.
If it works, great! If not, print the codes out and compare them, find out what doesn't work.

Last edited:
@MAYissues I have seen over 20-30 different variations of RSI in Laguerre Time. After a while it can get pretty confusing. What I tend to do is rather than use the actual RSI Laguerre study (which has a lot of bells and whistles) in the scanner, I pare things down to a scanable form as labels, bubbles, etc have no significance in the scan engine. Have a read through the link in @markos post # 11 above. If you still can't get traction after that check back here

Hope that helps

Last edited:
@tomsk This does help thank you! That is what I was planning on doing. I went through the code of 3 different versions and I'm starting to make some headway. I changed some of the inputs in the RSILG_FE_Gssn to more closely resemble the study in this thread and it's starting to resemble it. Alerted a buy signal in the emini today about 30 seconds earlier. Need all the edge you can in this market. I appreciate your help!

Thanks @tomsk. So the hybrid setting is better for Heiken Ashi? I like Laguerre RSI but I find it a little “twitchy”, and the RSI portion a bit too binary. The TMO or other RSI’s or stochastic oscillators allow you to see a series of higher lows for example, in a way that the Laguerre doesn’t, so I pair them. Not sure Laguerre will stay on my charts though as the MTF TMO, and an original TMO are pretty awesome paired. Still playing with the ideal setup as are many, I’m sure.
@dolomick Don't know if I have said the following in this thread or not, so here goes again; put 4 different iterations of the RSI Laguerre in separate lower studies. Make sure that they are all different settings and watch how they act. From there, you can decide which one you would like to put on your chart. Also, put the RSI Laguerre that you like the most in the top lower study panel & and put the original TMO inside that same panel.
Once you have done that you will see the commonalities and also have an appreciation for what each study does beyond what you already have.

Last edited:
@dolomick Since you want less binary take a look at MTF RSI.

2019-11-22-TOS-CHARTS.png
@horserider please do me a favor and swap out that "shared_MS_RLg_FE_SglBrl_fin" from any chart that you share. The "MS" in the title is me.
I do not know how I shared that study. When I am allowed to share it, I will let you know.
It is considered proprietary at this point and is not to be shared. I appreciate your cooperation, thank you.

@markos I did not know. Cannot remember where I got it. The header for the study is below;

# RSI-Laguerre Self Adjusting With Fractal Energy Gaussian Price Filter
# Mobius
# V01.12.2016
# Both Fractal Energy and RSI are plotted. RSI in cyan and FE in yellow. Look for trend exhaustion in the FE and a reversal of RSI or Price compression in FE and an RSI reversal.

So I had no idea of it being your study. If that is for sure yours, just reply and I will just delete it from my studies.

@markos I did not know. Cannot remember where I got it. The header for the study is below;

# RSI-Laguerre Self Adjusting With Fractal Energy Gaussian Price Filter
# Mobius
# V01.12.2016
# Both Fractal Energy and RSI are plotted. RSI in cyan and FE in yellow. Look for trend exhaustion in the FE and a reversal of RSI or Price compression in FE and an RSI reversal.

So I had no idea of it being your study. If that is for sure yours, just reply and I will just delete it from my studies.
Yes, it's mine. I used the word fin at the title's end. It's French for the end.
I asked Mobius for permission to share but he didn't answer that email. Unfortunately it's in the wild now. That's my fault.
I believe it was some type of test that was not ready to go yet, from what I recall him saying. That was about 2 years ago, it was put in the TSL and then pulled by SilentBen_TOS, the Moderator.

Last edited:
@markos Ok deleted. So no chance of me sharing it. I do not remember ever sharing it. I might have just used it in that example chart.
Sorry to have somehow got a hold of your study. No one will be getting it from me in the future.