Relative Volume Strategy and Momentum Scanner for ThinkorSwim

@CDJay Expect around 3-5 mins delay if you're going to wait for the watchlist (created from the scanner) to update itself. That's the issue with ToS, nothing we can do. An alternative would be to hit that Scan button manually every time you want to refresh data.
Thanks, @BenTen. Really dumb question, because I assume the answer is no, but are there any macros that could be set to automatically run the scans every X number of seconds?

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

@CDJay As I mentioned, the delay is from ToS system; there is nothing we can do. Sometimes, you get the result in real-time, sometimes you don't. Delay doesn't happen all the time, but you should expect it.

Thank You Gabrielx77 I will probably revist this after the market ends today, now today just need to see how things go. Will look for updates on intraday. One last thing i have my own PM scanner, but what setting do you use?

Thank You Gabrielx77 I will probably revist this after the market ends today, now today just need to see how things go. Will look for updates on intraday. One last thing i have my own PM scanner, but what setting do you use?
I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by setting on my scanner.

Last edited:
@Gabrielx77 can you share your top study with me - looks very close to mine and i want to back test it as yours looks a little tigher in some spots
At the moment, the main studies I use are VWAP, 9SMA, 180SMA, RSI and MACD; however, I'm trying to move away from scalping, so I'll be focusing on my TR and TMO indicators on large caps, trading on the 10m time frame.

TR with Arrows: http://tos.mx/FoV5LQN
TMO: http://tos.mx/ZzvuNst

I just back tested these two indicators; you can find my results here:

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...r-with-signals-for-thinkorswim.183/post-31243

XTNT showed up on my scan this morning and I traded it a few times

1.42 to 1.65 (16% gain)
1.71 to 1.65 (3.5% loss)
1.81 to 1.99 (10% gain)
2.10 to 2.48 (18% gain)
2.59 to 2.55 (1.5% loss)
2.65 to 2.55 (3.8% loss)

Pretty happy with that one.

I don't like this level of trading though, I'd like to stay in positions a little longer rather than buying and selling at different points. I've tried Heiken Ashi candles but the high/low/close aren't indicative of the true price action and so it affects my stop loss movement.

Anyone have any suggestions?

XTNT was there for me. I had 2 entries one @ $1.60 there other @ $2.00. I believe it was on the scanner earlier but it only caught my eye around 1020am. I think RV1 was about 6.

OK from this whole thread and feedback I tested out 3 variations of the scanners all but 1 which populated at the open bell.. Other did NOT even when I hit scan until some minutes later. I am trading mostly low/float small cap stocks .50-$15 is my main range.

However with all 3 variations I got very different stocks, and the ones that has good runs today didn't populate or even show up on my scan when I hit scan (I was going back and forth between them hitting scan) they came up too late like PHGE or ADMS which were pretty big movers today from the bell. These two stocks also were not in my PM scann mostly it was MCRB, MOXC, and IBIO

v1 of my scanner : has what I thought was the original study of "plot scan = close >= (open*1.04);" which also has Unsual Volume of 40 of 60 and % change of min +5.00. Volume is 100K( This is the scanner which populates at bell for me but only 1 at a time and like other mentioned I need to keep hitting scan or go back to the scanner page in ToS to look at them so I get to them "sooner"

v2. is the same accept % change of min is changed to +3.00% due to someone telling me 5% was too high. Volume is the same as v1 100K

v3. Volume is 250K and minimum share is 50M which is diff from v1&2 with a max shares of 70M and I'm using this script Average Volume.
def x = Average(volume, 60)[1];
def v = volume;
def r = Round((v/x),1);
def rvi = r >= 2;
plot scan = rvi;

At this point I am unsure which scanner is best to use, but the RV1 number doesn't seem to matter because when teal color the stock is already on a down trend and even a low number today like 0.3's or 0.5's ran 30-40%. I'm just posting to let others know these insights. Ideally I would like 1 scanner or possibly have 2 up just to cross reference. I'm curious which works best for you all though.

good luck and I hope your day was green today. My 3 swing plays are doing ok at the moment.

OK from this whole thread and feedback I tested out 3 variations of the scanners all but 1 which populated at the open bell.. Other did NOT even when I hit scan until some minutes later. I am trading mostly low/float small cap stocks .50-$15 is my main range.

However with all 3 variations I got very different stocks, and the ones that has good runs today didn't populate or even show up on my scan when I hit scan (I was going back and forth between them hitting scan) they came up too late like PHGE or ADMS which were pretty big movers today from the bell. These two stocks also were not in my PM scann mostly it was MCRB, MOXC, and IBIO

v1 of my scanner : has what I thought was the original study of "plot scan = close >= (open*1.04);" which also has Unsual Volume of 40 of 60 and % change of min +5.00. Volume is 100K( This is the scanner which populates at bell for me but only 1 at a time and like other mentioned I need to keep hitting scan or go back to the scanner page in ToS to look at them so I get to them "sooner"

v2. is the same accept % change of min is changed to +3.00% due to someone telling me 5% was too high. Volume is the same as v1 100K

v3. Volume is 250K and minimum share is 50M which is diff from v1&2 with a max shares of 70M and I'm using this script Average Volume.
def x = Average(volume, 60)[1];
def v = volume;
def r = Round((v/x),1);
def rvi = r >= 2;
plot scan = rvi;

At this point I am unsure which scanner is best to use, but the RV1 number doesn't seem to matter because when teal color the stock is already on a down trend and even a low number today like 0.3's or 0.5's ran 30-40%. I'm just posting to let others know these insights. Ideally I would like 1 scanner or possibly have 2 up just to cross reference. I'm curious which works best for you all though.

good luck and I hope your day was green today. My 3 swing plays are doing ok at the moment.

On my scan I have:
volume min:100,000 no max
last min:$0.50 max:$15
shares min:0 max:70 mil
%change min: 3% no max
plot scan = close>=(open*1.04); set to day

Pretty similar to what you are using. So unfortunately I am not sure whats going on. Hope you can figure it out.

On my scan I have:
volume min:100,000 no max
last min:$0.50 max:$15
shares min:0 max:70 mil
%change min: 3% no max
plot scan = close>=(open*1.04); set to day

Pretty similar to what you are using. So unfortunately I am not sure whats going on. Hope you can figure it out.

jezzer46, let me ask how did your trades go today? What popped up for you today in terms of RV1 at the bell?

jezzer46, let me ask how did your trades go today? What popped up for you today in terms of RV1 at the bell?

Most of the time right at the bell nothing shows. Yesterday XTNT was a little bit after the bell and I only traded it after 1020am. Today for me SYPR was the only one I traded and that was @ 0937.

*both had rv1 between 5 and 8 when I was trading it.

First off, thanks Sonny for the helpful tools. Discovered it a week ago and still learning how to make the best use of it, but I've noticed by the time a ticker shows on the scan, even with constant refreshing, it's often seen it's big run already. Anyone else noticing this and have found an adjustment to the scan, or even what to filter out of the scan results? I have a hard time committing to a stock that is on it's way down from a big breakout, hard to tell if it's just a pullback for another run or not. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

First off, thanks Sonny for the helpful tools. Discovered it a week ago and still learning how to make the best use of it, but I've noticed by the time a ticker shows on the scan, even with constant refreshing, it's often seen it's big run already. Anyone else noticing this and have found an adjustment to the scan, or even what to filter out of the scan results? I have a hard time committing to a stock that is on it's way down from a big breakout, hard to tell if it's just a pullback for another run or not. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

The scan is made to focus on the ones that have made a big run and aims to take it higher. Take a look at LCDX from open to 1125am today it went from .$0.73 to $1.74. Then a little after 1pm it goes from $1.30 to $2.15. Samething happened with SYPR, made a big move came back down and then made a similar move later on.

Its very frustrating to miss the initial run up but those who catch those are in the right place at the right time.

I suggest working on premarket and afternarket scans. BonBon has some he posted earlier in the thread.

*edit: I should add that working on a strategy that takes away your indecision on if to get in or out is paramount. Ideally you just want to sift through the watchlist and execute. Get in a trade designate a stop loss and take profit point and make your plan according to those levels

Last edited:
The scan is made to focus on the ones that have made a big run and aims to take it higher. Take a look at LCDX from open to 1125am today it went from .$0.73 to $1.74. Then a little after 1pm it goes from $1.30 to $2.15. Samething happened with SYPR, made a big move came back down and then made a similar move later on.

Its very frustrating to miss the initial run up but those who catch those are in the right place at the right time.

I suggest working on premarket and afternarket scans. BonBon has some he posted earlier in the thread.

*edit: I should add that working on a strategy that takes away your indecision on if to get in or out is paramount. Ideally you just want to sift through the watchlist and execute. Get in a trade designate a stop loss and take profit point and make your plan according to those levels

Jezzer, thanks so much for pointing that out. It had crossed my mind but I didn’t realize one of the main purposes was to catch stocks headed for a higher resistance. I’ll pay close attention to that from now on. Thanks for your other tips as well, good reminders for a new trader like me. This whole thread has been really helpful for me, so thanks to all.

I will reiterate Lucky's sentiment here. SYPR came up on the scanner when it was already 1.80 for me over vwap so I entered the trade after it had bounced back from and it shot down. I exited on a loss. One of the highest RV's today was BFRA, and that showed up already at $30+ when it was already halted. PM scanner won't work on half the stocks these scan like BFRA, or the heavy hitters that were already down by 7.am like PM gainers like PRPH, IMMP or EYEN because they down trend from PM highs during the day.

Perhaps I'm still finding it confusing how this strategy works, but it does make it difficult to form a plan when PM movers are different than DT movers. BFRA was at $12 PM with no volume or catalyst, etc. By the time AMTX showed up it was already 2.50ish around 9.30-40 which a move to 2.94 after the dip doesn't leave much room.

I will keep working at this, but at least I know my sentiment is shared. I'm very grateful for the tools and the sharing of this info just want to learn more how this is working out for others do find out how I'm not on that same page. Usually one wants to enter runners on the start of the volume/uptrend not in the middle of a run. LCDX makes perfect sense, but there was no volume or trade action at the bell, hence why it didn't show up on the scan until it was already "too late"

Last edited:
Great. I understand the privacy. So its basically tallying the number of days a ticker is above or below 50 and 200 EMA. I can see this being useful with those who like to swing trade and favor oversold and overbought. (combined with other technical analysis such as RSI, MACD etc) Thanks once again.
Yes absolutely brother! That one i can share no issue the other one i can't cuz it's still in the works I don't want to share something i'm not confident about yet lol! Thats all!

Code:
def c = close;
plot ema50 = movavgExponential(c,50);

def up = if c > ema50 then 1 else 0;
def dn = if c < ema50 then 1 else 0;

def upcount = if up==1 and up[1]==0 then 1 else if up then upcount[1]+1 else 0;
def dncount = if dn==1 and dn[1]==0 then 1 else if dn then dncount[1]+1 else 0;

addlabel(1,if upcount then upcount+" Days ↑ 50ema " else if dncount then dncount+" Days ↓ 50ema " else "Nah", if upcount then color.magenta else if dncount then color.red else color.white);

I'm a noob with watchlists and scanners. This is my first one. If I set this up right maybe copy this image into the original post to help noobs like myself because it took me awhile to figure this out.

jj.jpg

IGC, I missed this one. I had it up and was looking at it after it did its first move from $0.97 to $1.12. Didnt see the news on it until a few minutes later. Time I saw it was 0935am. RV1 was relatively low, cant remember exact number but nothing that jumped out to me, but this one checked all my boxes on potential trades. Mad at myself on this one.

Tried BOXL twice broke even. I thought this was going to bigger but thats the way things go sometimes.

Morning was full of mistakes so I decided to step away to not fall down a hole.

*IGC did a pull back and surpassed its high after. Not saying this happens all the time but its there on most days.

Last edited:
food for thought, i removed volume from my charts cause of room, why not try using the "premarket movers"
and then customize it with rsi14,5 minute chart, , wait till opening then watch, get in when the rsi crosses 69, examples, IGC, NVDA,MBT,
XSD, XLP, have i traded it , no, im a bouncer, i bounce from indi to indi, method to method, waiting for that one great Grail. ive often though that rsi could replace volume , is rsi more easily measured?

Ben's Swing Trading Strategy + Indicator

I wouldn't call this a course. My goal is zero fluff. I will jump right into my current watchlist, tell you the ThinkorSwim indicator that I'm using, and past trade setups to help you understand my swing trading strategy.

I'm Interested

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
558 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back