Programmatic Support and Resistance for Thinkorswim

rad14733

VIP
@john3 Is this an indicator you have used in NinjaTrader or are you implying that someone should spend their valuable time converting code for you simply because you think it "looks pretty good" and you don't want to put forth the effort yourself...??? Members should think long and hard before they suggest that others should do their work for them... I wouldn't have the gall to just spew out requests for others to do my work for me, nor should anyone else... I figure things out myself or go without, but maybe that's a rare trait these days... Food for thought...

J007RMC

2019 Donor

https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/user-app-share-download/dynamicsr-indicator-nt8/
It looks pretty good on different time frames, would someone please convert this to TOS?
Thank you.
#@rlohmeyer_SRLines

John, I am wondering if this is a script you can work with? Current and yesterdays open and close lines with highs/los.

https://tos.mx/1TAwnbw

Last edited:

john3

2019 Donor
@MerryDay and @rad14733 I don't know how to code...I thought I posted it in a category where people ask to code different indicators/strategies. I don't know why it was moved here, sorry about that.

rad14733

VIP
@MerryDay and @rad14733 I don't know how to code...I thought I posted it in a category where people ask to code different indicators/strategies. I don't know why it was moved here, sorry about that.

There's no time like the present to learn to code but your post was most likely moved here because this topic covers a similar indicator to the one you want others to convert for you... We don't just convert code on request regardless of what new members might think...

joshua74133

VIP
what is the code to get a alert when price crosses and stays above support this is the code im using to draw auto support but what i want is to put this on my scanner and it let me know when price is above the most recent support line.

thanks.

Code:
input magnitude = 2;
input showValues = yes;
def top = high >= Highest(high[1], magnitude) and high >= Highest(high[-magnitude], magnitude);
def topvalue = if BarNumber() < magnitude then Double.NaN else if top    then high else topvalue[1];
plot topline = topvalue;
def countp = if IsNaN(top) and !IsNaN(top[1]) then 1 else countp[1] + 1;
plot peaktop = if IsNaN(top) then GetValue(topline, countp) else Double.NaN;
def bottom = low <= Lowest(low[1], magnitude) and low <= Lowest(low[-magnitude], magnitude);
def bottomValue = if BarNumber() < magnitude then Double.NaN else if bottom then low else bottomValue[1];
plot bottomline = bottomValue;

topline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
topline.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
peaktop.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
peaktop.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
bottomline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
bottomline.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);

rad14733

VIP
@joshua74133 You can create an alert from within the scanner so it alerts you whenever your criteria are met...

sCIKKih.png

rad14733

VIP
@joshua74133 I only provided information on Alerts and wasn't aware you wanted to know about your watchlist... I was just coincidence that the image I posted had some experimental Bid/Ask coloring in it... In all honesty, I haven't played with resistance lines because they have never been a part of my trading strategies... I'm sure logic could be coded to keep the cell green if bid is greater than a resistance level...

joshua74133

VIP
ok so lets try this again. the code is below. all im wanting is that thumbs up if the price is greater then the prev resistance line. ive been trying to steal parts of the script from auto piv to try and figure out the code. the Auto piv has a box that says the price is above trend... i want the same type of thing for the script below. is this even possible? ive spent hours trying to figure it out.

NXBewnB.png

Code:
input magnitude = 2;
input showValues = yes;
def top = high >= Highest(high[1], magnitude) and high >= Highest(high[-magnitude], magnitude);
def topvalue = if BarNumber() < magnitude then Double.NaN else if top    then high else topvalue[1];
plot topline = topvalue;
def countp = if IsNaN(top) and !IsNaN(top[1]) then 1 else countp[1] + 1;
plot peaktop = if IsNaN(top) then GetValue(topline, countp) else Double.NaN;
def bottom = low <= Lowest(low[1], magnitude) and low <= Lowest(low[-magnitude], magnitude);
def bottomValue = if BarNumber() < magnitude then Double.NaN else if bottom then low else bottomValue[1];
plot bottomline = bottomValue;

topline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
topline.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
peaktop.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
peaktop.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
bottomline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
bottomline.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);

input show_bubble_labels = yes;

AddLabel(yes, if close>high then "👍" else "NA", if close>high is true then color.green else color.black);

Last edited:

Ronin13

VIP
at post #23 @Trading51 asked if pivots get drawn after X no. of completed bars (i think this was never answered)

at post #33 @cay7man asked what the lookback period is; at post #34 @BenTen reckons it is the no. of past bars that are used to determine pivot highs and lows

looking back at the original indicator "programmatic S/R" that @netarchitech posted when starting this thread, is it correct to say that if lookback period is set at 5, then after every 5 bars are completed, the indicator determines if a new pivot high or low has been established and draws accordingly?

therefore, in other words, such an indicator can lag (repaint) by up to 5 bars?

Ronin13

VIP
friends, can someone help me figure out why alerts are not sounding when swing points are created / reached?

thanks in advance

Uccn05u.png

Code:

Rich (BB code):
declare upper;

input LookbackPeriod = 5;
input HideCurrentTF = no;
input HideTimeFrame2 = no;
input HideTimeFrame3 = no;
input TimeFrame2 = {"15 MIN", "1 MIN", "2 MIN", "3 MIN", "4 MIN", "5 MIN", "10 MIN", "20 MIN", "30 MIN", "1 HOUR", "2 HOURS", "4 HOURS", DAY, "2 DAYS", "3 DAYS", "4 DAYS", default WEEK, MONTH, "OPT EXP"};
input TimeFrame3 = {"30 MIN", "1 MIN", "2 MIN", "3 MIN", "4 MIN", "5 MIN", "10 MIN", "15 MIN", "20 MIN", "1 HOUR", "2 HOURS", "4 HOURS", DAY, "2 DAYS", "3 DAYS", "4 DAYS", WEEK, default MONTH, "OPT EXP"};
input HideSwings = no;
input SwingsLagBar = 1;

#--------------------------------------------------------------
def _highInPeriod1 = Highest(high, LookbackPeriod);
def _lowInPeriod1 = Lowest(low, LookbackPeriod);
def marketLow1 = if _lowInPeriod1 < _lowInPeriod1[-LookbackPeriod] then _lowInPeriod1 else _lowInPeriod1[-LookbackPeriod];
def _markedLow1 = low == marketLow1;

rec _lastMarkedLow1 = CompoundValue(1, if IsNaN(_markedLow1) then _lastMarkedLow1[1] else if _markedLow1 then low else _lastMarkedLow1[1], low);
def marketHigh1 = if _highInPeriod1 > _highInPeriod1[-LookbackPeriod] then _highInPeriod1 else _highInPeriod1[-LookbackPeriod];
def _markedHigh1 = high == marketHigh1;

rec _lastMarkedHigh1 = CompoundValue(1, if IsNaN(_markedHigh1) then _lastMarkedHigh1[1] else if _markedHigh1 then high else _lastMarkedHigh1[1], high);
plot Resistance1 = _lastMarkedHigh1;
plot Support1 = _lastMarkedLow1;
Resistance1.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
Resistance1.SetDefaultColor(Color.MAGENTA);
Resistance1.SetHiding(HideCurrentTF);
Support1.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
Support1.SetDefaultColor(Color.YELLOW);
Support1.SetHiding(HideCurrentTF);
def LowSwingForw = Lowest(low, SwingsLagBar)[-SwingsLagBar];
def LowSwingBack = Lowest(low, LookbackPeriod)[1];
def SwingLow = if low < LowSwingForw and low <= LowSwingBack then 1 else 0;
plot LowSwing = if SwingLow then low else Double.NaN;
LowSwing.hide();
def HighSwingForw = Highest(high, SwingsLagBar)[-SwingsLagBar];
def HighSwingBack = Highest(high, LookbackPeriod)[1];
def SwingHigh = if high > HighSwingForw and high >= HighSwingBack then 1 else 0;
plot HighSwing = if SwingHigh then high else Double.NaN;
HighSwing.hide();
HighSwing.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
HighSwing.SetLineWeight(5);
HighSwing.SetDefaultColor(Color.MAGENTA);
HighSwing.SetHiding(HideSwings);
LowSwing.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
LowSwing.SetLineWeight(5);
LowSwing.SetDefaultColor(Color.YELLOW);
LowSwing.SetHiding(HideSwings);
Alert(HighSwing, "SupRes : Swing High", Alert.BAR, Sound.Bell);
Alert(LowSwing, "SupRes : Swing Low", Alert.BAR, Sound.Bell);
AddLabel(HighSwing, "SupRes : Swing High", Color.MAGENTA);
AddLabel(LowSwing, "SupRes : Swing Low", Color.YELLOW);
def _highInPeriod2 = Highest(high(period = TimeFrame2), LookbackPeriod);
def _lowInPeriod2 = Lowest(low(period = TimeFrame2), LookbackPeriod);
def marketLow2 = if _lowInPeriod2 < _lowInPeriod2[-LookbackPeriod] then _lowInPeriod2 else _lowInPeriod2[-LookbackPeriod];
def _markedLow2 = low(period = TimeFrame2) == marketLow2;

rec _lastMarkedLow2 = CompoundValue(1, if IsNaN(_markedLow2) then _lastMarkedLow2[1] else if _markedLow2 then low(period = TimeFrame2) else _lastMarkedLow2[1], low(period = TimeFrame2));
def marketHigh2 = if _highInPeriod2 > _highInPeriod2[-LookbackPeriod] then _highInPeriod2 else _highInPeriod2[-LookbackPeriod];
def _markedHigh2 = high(period = TimeFrame2) == marketHigh2;

rec _lastMarkedHigh2 = CompoundValue(1, if IsNaN(_markedHigh2) then _lastMarkedHigh2[1] else if _markedHigh2 then high(period = TimeFrame2) else _lastMarkedHigh2[1], high(period = TimeFrame2));
plot Resistance2 = _lastMarkedHigh2;
Resistance2.hide();
plot Support2 = _lastMarkedLow2;
Support2.hide();
Resistance2.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
Resistance2.SetDefaultColor(Color.MAGENTA);
Resistance2.SetHiding(HideTimeFrame2);
Support2.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
Support2.SetDefaultColor(Color.YELLOW);
Support2.SetHiding(HideTimeFrame2);
def _highInPeriod3 = Highest(high(period = TimeFrame3), LookbackPeriod);
def _lowInPeriod3 = Lowest(low(period = TimeFrame3), LookbackPeriod);
def marketLow3 = if _lowInPeriod3 < _lowInPeriod3[-LookbackPeriod] then _lowInPeriod3 else _lowInPeriod3[-LookbackPeriod];
def _markedLow3 = low(period = TimeFrame3) == marketLow3;

rec _lastMarkedLow3 = CompoundValue(1, if IsNaN(_markedLow3) then _lastMarkedLow3[1] else if _markedLow3 then low(period = TimeFrame3) else _lastMarkedLow3[1], low(period = TimeFrame3));
def marketHigh3 = if _highInPeriod3 > _highInPeriod3[-LookbackPeriod] then _highInPeriod3 else _highInPeriod3[-LookbackPeriod];
def _markedHigh3 = high(period = TimeFrame3) == marketHigh3;

rec _lastMarkedHigh3 = CompoundValue(1, if IsNaN(_markedHigh3) then _lastMarkedHigh3[1] else if _markedHigh3 then high(period = TimeFrame3) else _lastMarkedHigh3[1], high(period = TimeFrame3));
plot Resistance3 = _lastMarkedHigh3;
Resistance3.hide();
plot Support3 = _lastMarkedLow3;
Support3.hide();
Resistance3.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
Resistance3.SetDefaultColor(Color.MAGENTA);
Resistance3.SetHiding(HideTimeFrame3);
Support3.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
Support3.SetDefaultColor(Color.YELLOW);
Support3.SetHiding(HideTimeFrame3);
Source: https://futures.io/thinkorswim/23405-convert-easy-language-code-into-thinkscript-3.html#post610895

Good Luck and Good Trading!