How to Fix "importing shared item" Error in ThinkorSwim

BenTen

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
I've been getting this question a lot lately. Some people see the following error message when they tried to open a shared thinkscript study in ThinkorSwim.

An error occurred while importing shared item. Please consult with tech support.

9SkzMXt.png

You only see this popup window when clicking on the "View in thinkorswim" button via the web browser. This option makes it really convenient to import a shared item such as an indicator or scan query. However, it no longer works.

While we wait for ThinkorSwim to fix this issue, here's a workaround.
  1. Go to ThinkorSwim
  2. Click on Setup (top right-hand corner) > Open shared item...
  3. Insert the shared link (ex: https://tos.mx/9XiG3f4)
  4. Preview > Import
  5. Done
GEJaBpZ.png

I hope that helps.

P.S: As @rad14733 suggested, if you decide to share a ToS link on our forum, be sure to post the actual code. This is especially helpful for those who want to quickly glance over the code before adding it to their platform.

Last edited:

rad14733

VIP
Thanks @BenTen... Here would also be a good place to implore members that in addition to posting these shared links to also post the actual code... Many members may simply want to view the code prior to installing and may also be more comfortable using the easier method of Copy and Paste... It should go without saying that if you have code, post the code within [code] ... [/code] tags...

Last edited:

JPIMP

Yes the workaround helped thx. I wasn't getting an error on TOS, just if I clicked on link and the new tab opened it was now just a blank page..It only started happening a couple of days ago. I did notice that there was a message on Usethinkscript.com that said error, the site is temporarily under maintenance try again tomorrow.

q8PT4lJ.png

Also my TOS doesn't let me copy and paste maybe because I'm on a mac, you have to manually put the link in. I also agree that if the code is posted as a fallback it's easier on everyone. Thx

rad14733

VIP
@JPIMP Google "Copy and Paste on mac"... It has worked on every Mac I've done what limited maintenance I do to them on... I mainly work on Windows PC's but have a few customers with Mac's...

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
TOS has periodically had problems with opening shared links if you click on the hyperlink. The following method works 100% of the time.

To Open A Shared Link
  1. Hover your mouse over the link
  2. Right-click, chose copy link address
  3. In TOS, click on gear icon at top of TOS app
  4. Click on Open Shared Item
  5. Ctrl-V to paste link address
  6. Click on Preview
  7. Name the study, whatever you want
  8. Click Import

Last edited: