Repaints Harmonic Patterns Indicator for ThinkorSwim (ZigZag, Bat, Butterfly, ABCD)

Repaints
gSclGUp.png
Please allow me to clarify. I realize the chart I posted looks just like the screen shot that accompanied the script in #1. My confusion is that the patterns are all connected. I'll have to wait until Monday to see how this maps out in real time. I am used to seeing the individual harmonic patterns individually. Perhaps S. Carney's software that runs on Trading View does not calculate all 12 patterns ???

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Please allow me to clarify. I realize the chart I posted looks just like the screen shot that accompanied the script in #1. My confusion is that the patterns are all connected. I'll have to wait until Monday to see how this maps out in real time. I am used to seeing the individual harmonic patterns individually. Perhaps S. Carney's software that runs on Trading View does not calculate all 12 patterns ???

Possibly. Plus, those are the white ZigZag lines.

not that I am an Elliot expert, but according to most stuff I read your waiting until the 4th and 5th wave. so called smart traders wait until the 5th. without all the cycles built in, the concept of trading Elliott waves is extremely difficult. Even the TOS scripts which promote themselves as "Elliott" only have one cycle. Seems counter productive not to include mono cycles. I've added a few more "Elliott" type stuff and other patterns I mess with as I wanted to share with all the scripters which helped me, but I would have a health skepticism with it as it requires a better script.
not that I am an Elliot expert, but according to most stuff I read your waiting until the 4th and 5th wave. so called smart traders wait until the 5th. without all the cycles built in, the concept of trading Elliott waves is extremely difficult. Even the TOS scripts which promote themselves as "Elliott" only have one cycle. Seems counter productive not to include mono cycles. I've added a few more "Elliott" type stuff and other patterns I mess with as I wanted to share with all the scripters which helped me, but I would have a health skepticism with it as it requires a better script. https://tos.mx/056xjyp

side note: if you really want wave 3, ill add it.

side note: if you really want wave 3, ill add it.
Mcdon, I downloaded your script back in Dec 2019 and have been using it since as an additional indicator. This morning, I went back to the script to see what was in it to get a better understanding of the signals. Is there an updated script to the one from Dec 2019? It is hard to tell recent updates when I went back over historical Harmonic Patterns. Are these signals "repainted" ? Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mcdon, I downloaded your script back in Dec 2019 and have been using it since as an additional indicator. This morning, I went back to the script to see what was in it to get a better understanding of the signals. Is there an updated script to the one from Dec 2019? It is hard to tell recent updates when I went back over historical Harmonic Patterns.

No, there are no updates to @mcdon030's Elliot Wave as the Elliot Wave definition has not changed.

Are these signals "repainted" ? Many thanks.

Yes, all waves, zig-zags, reversals repaint
read more:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/answers-to-commonly-asked-questions.6006/#post-57833

Mcdon, I downloaded your script back in Dec 2019 and have been using it since as an additional indicator. This morning, I went back to the script to see what was in it to get a better understanding of the signals. Is there an updated script to the one from Dec 2019? It is hard to tell recent updates when I went back over historical Harmonic Patterns. Are these signals "repainted" ? Many thanks.
It repaints.

I read your comment yesterday and thought about it overnight. Typically, I don't write too much in my replies, but I thought I would offer free advice to save you time as I was deep in this rabbit whole a few years ago with harmonic patterns. I recreated this script with Peak and Trough Analysis, which is somewhere in the platform, to back test harmonics. I ended up scraping that with a custom set of pivots they are profitable alone – meaning, many, many interactions for pivots. It took a year and half to make a harmonic trade strategy profitable, but harmonic trade management has too many variables. Here are the facts that I currently believe:

• Scott Carney stole his harmonic ideas from Bryce Gilmore. This can easily be verified by reading his material. If you are dead set on trading harmonics, read Bryce Gilmore. His 90% reversal rule is legitimate and most of his books are thorough and free. I keep an algo running to recognize his 90% reversal rule, and don’t trust my initial code if you find it. It is faulty.
  • Don’t trade the big-name patterns such as Gartley. There are too many smart money computers identifying it so they reverse it all the time against dum money. A bat pattern doesn’t need ingenious trade mechanics as it is a very reliable pattern. My second is cypher. I know this as I back tested every time across the DOW.
  • DOW symbols respond better to harmonic patterns for some reason. Research has been done to verify this.
  • Most harmonics are like a double bottom/top pattern. Instead of coding or buying a harmonic pattern script, find a decent pivot code and draw lines from the high and low. Trade when price touches of those lines instead.

Cheers, mcdon

It repaints.

I read your comment yesterday and thought about it overnight. Typically, I don't write too much in my replies, but I thought I would offer free advice to save you time as I was deep in this rabbit whole a few years ago with harmonic patterns. I recreated this script with Peak and Trough Analysis, which is somewhere in the platform, to back test harmonics. I ended up scraping that with a custom set of pivots they are profitable alone – meaning, many, many interactions for pivots. It took a year and half to make a harmonic trade strategy profitable, but harmonic trade management has too many variables. Here are the facts that I currently believe:

• Scott Carney stole his harmonic ideas from Bryce Gilmore. This can easily be verified by reading his material. If you are dead set on trading harmonics, read Bryce Gilmore. His 90% reversal rule is legitimate and most of his books are thorough and free. I keep an algo running to recognize his 90% reversal rule, and don’t trust my initial code if you find it. It is faulty.
  • Don’t trade the big-name patterns such as Gartley. There are too many smart money computers identifying it so they reverse it all the time against dum money. A bat pattern doesn’t need ingenious trade mechanics as it is a very reliable pattern. My second is cypher. I know this as I back tested every time across the DOW.
  • DOW symbols respond better to harmonic patterns for some reason. Research has been done to verify this.
  • Most harmonics are like a double bottom/top pattern. Instead of coding or buying a harmonic pattern script, find a decent pivot code and draw lines from the high and low. Trade when price touches of those lines instead.

Cheers, mcdon

I was looking to read up on Bryce Gilmore and his publications as Larry Pesavento credit's him as the founder of the Butterfly Pattern and Level 10, a concept where his software would highlight places in price where ten instances of price was hitting the same price and time at a single point.

Have you read his (Bryce's) materials? What would recommend someone read of his materials and what could they get out of it?

I did a search on Amazon and didn't really find any of Bryce's work.
What should someone try to read and where should they go to buy the materials?

It's very difficult to strip away all of the noise to be able to focus on the core information.

I was looking to read up on Bryce Gilmore and his publications as Larry Pesavento credit's him as the founder of the Butterfly Pattern and Level 10, a concept where his software would highlight places in price where ten instances of price was hitting the same price and time at a single point.

Have you read his (Bryce's) materials? What would recommend someone read of his materials and what could they get out of it?

I did a search on Amazon and didn't really find any of Bryce's work.
What should someone try to read and where should they go to buy the materials?

It's very difficult to strip away all of the noise to be able to focus on the core information.
I have read all his work and would recommend reading everything he has. He shared so much before he sold his software. You’re right that Larry Pesavento and Robert Minor credit him a lot. There is only one book that I couldn’t download for free, but I don’t recall which one. One of his book shows in detail how he implements this in real time.

I would focus on his 90% reversal pattern, false break pattern, and volume placement in the last 5 pivots. I did quite a lot of historical backtest to see if these work and they do. Specifically, read Price Action Manual [c] 2007, Chapter 19. I specifically took that out of the PDF. I’m not sure that I could share that publicly as I can’t remember if I bought that book or not. If you search GitHub, I did code all his fib levels. It was when I first started so there is some redundant coding, but they are still in line with the section I just noted.

your code has error . it wouldn't loan in TOS .

Both the code and the shared link load fine.
You didn't provide enough information to say where you went astray.

For future reference, here is a tutorial on how to cut & paste a study into the ToS app:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/how-to-import-existing-thinkscript-code-on-thinkorswim.10/

And here is a tutorial on how to import a shared link:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...ed-item-error-in-thinkorswim.5098/#post-57930

Perhaps this will help. Here is a chart with the indicator already loaded on it.
When you import, the following link. It will open a chart with the indicator, and it will put the study into your custom study tab for your future use.

Shared Chart Link: http://tos.mx/0MAHhpU Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links
77dII26.png

Volatility Trading Range

VTR is a momentum indicator that shows if a stock is overbought or oversold based on its Weekly and Monthly average volatility trading range.

Download the indicator

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
435 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back