Volume Profile use in Thinkscript Strategy/Study beyond POC/Value Area

B

BlueRaven

From everything I've poked around with I don't think this can be done, but I wanted to ask anyway.

It looks like TOS has the volume profile study locked down so you can only pull POC/Value area. I want to be able to pull data for basically each line / price level.

Basically I would like to automatically look for HVN's, LVN's and edges etc. If TOS can't do it does anyone know of another platform that has that data available ?

P

Pensar

VIP
@BlueRaven It certainly doesnt seem possible. I do have this code by Mobius, although it is likely not what you're looking for.

Code:
# High Volume Nodes
# Mobius
# V01.02.2018
# Looks for the highest volume candle in "n" periods and plots the candle range.
# As Volatility increases this study has two values. Plotting a current high volume node as a channel which price will be drawn back to and test since a very high volume node will move price quickly, and price will retest that area. And, with the legacy plots a way to quickly see if larger traders, those that can generate a high volume node, are accumulating or distributing inventory.

input n = 60;
input r = .95;
input LegacyPoints = yes;

def h = high;
def l = low;
def c = close;
def v = volume;
def x = barNumber();
def HighVolume = if ((v - Lowest(v, n)) / (Highest(v, n) - Lowest(v, n))) >= r
                 then x
                 else Double.NaN;
def hh = if !IsNaN(HighVolume)
         then h
         else hh[1];
def ll = if !IsNaN(HighVolume)
         then l
         else ll[1];
plot hhLine = if x >= HighestAll(HighVolume)
              then HighestAll(if IsNaN(c)
                              then hh
                              else Double.NaN)
              else Double.NaN;
hhLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
plot llLine = if x >= HighestAll(HighVolume)
              then HighestAll(if IsNaN(c)
                              then ll
                              else Double.NaN)
              else Double.NaN;
llLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
plot legacy = if LegacyPoints and !IsNaN(HighVolume)
              then l - (2*TickSize())
              else Double.NaN;
legacy.SetStyle(Curve.POINTS);
legacy.SetLineWeight(3);
legacy.SetDefaultColor(Color.Gray);
AddCloud(llLine, hhLine, Color.DARK_GRAY, Color.DARK_GRAY, yes);
# End Code High Volume Nodes

B

BlueRaven

Yeah, I've seen that one before and played with it a bit, but yeah it's not what I'm after. I really don't think its possible in TOS.

Prison Mike

Prison Mike

Maybe just a coincidence but I believe Mobius Fractal pivot mobile lines up pretty well with POC. (At least I think I remember it does)

D

Dupre

VIP
@BlueRaven Have you played around with the Monkey Bar chart settings?

B

BlueRaven

Maybe just a coincidence but I believe Mobius Fractal pivot mobile lines up pretty well with POC. (At least I think I remember it does)
I've seen it but not sure I've tried it out. I'll check it out and see if it lines up with what I"m doing. Thanks.

D

Dupre

VIP
@BlueRaven Check it out. Chart settings -> Appearance -> change Chart Mode to "Monkey Bars" and then select "Volume for: All"

A

AMA

From everything I've poked around with I don't think this can be done, but I wanted to ask anyway.

It looks like TOS has the volume profile study locked down so you can only pull POC/Value area. I want to be able to pull data for basically each line / price level.

Basically I would like to automatically look for HVN's, LVN's and edges etc. If TOS can't do it does anyone know of another platform that has that data available ?
1) Copy all of the stock TOS Volume Profile study code into a new study you're creating(maybe call it VolumeProfileME, or whatever you want).

2) Once created, you can edit the new study and manipulate code and/or variables to do rather interesting things.

Some of what I experimented with were:

-- Showing various levels for today vs. other levels for previous days
-- Continuing a level from yesterday onto today's chart(ex: yesterday's POC extends to show on today's chart; very handy, as you can then show/hide prices, use algorithms against yesterday's POC value, etc.).

-- Placing price bubbles/comments/labels/markers/whatever for diff variables and/or labels.

-- Show bubbles when approaching a particular level, such as LVA or POC, etc. to give me a heads up.

-- Set some of the defaults more to my liking. Gets old adding the stock/TOS study to charts and having to change -their- defaults each time.

I no longer use Volume Profile, etc. all that much, but I still have it showing; more as a confirmation thing than anything else.