Unusual Volume For ThinkOrSwim

KCLLive

Simple script modification that helps me to confirm when a trend is broken. All it does is paint candles dark red or dark green if volume is 3x average. If you see anything wrong with the code please point it out thank you.

https://ibb.co/p2dmnFL - for an example on TSLA, I made good money trading puts off that broken trend.

Code:
#
# TD Ameritrade IP Company, Inc. (c) 2007-2021
# Modified VolumeAvg to paint candlesticks that are 3x the average volume.
# Make sure you put this in the Volume section of studies

declare lower;
declare zerobase;

input length = 50;

def AvgVol = Average(volume * 3);

plot Vol = volume;
plot VolAvg = Average(volume, length);

Vol.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HISTOGRAM);
Vol.SetLineWeight(3);
Vol.DefineColor("Up", Color.UPTICK);
Vol.DefineColor("Down", Color.DOWNTICK);
Vol.AssignValueColor(if close > close[1] then Vol.color("Up") else if close < close[1] then Vol.color("Down") else GetColor(1));
VolAvg.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));

AssignPriceColor(if close > close[1] AND volume > AvgVol then color.DARK_GREEN else color.current);
AssignPriceColor(if close < close[1] AND volume > AvgVol then color.DARK_RED else color.current);

Last edited by a moderator:

rad14733

VIP
@KCLLive After more careful inspection I can see the slightly darker candle... Between the small size and minimal color differentiation it was tough to notice...

KCLLive

@KCLLive After more careful inspection I can see the slightly darker candle... Between the small size and minimal color differentiation it was tough to notice...
Simple solution. I kept it easy for my eyes, I don’t like the bright neon colors for highlighting that others like. But you can change it as you see fit if you decide to use it :) just change DARK_RED or DARK_GREEN to the color of your choosing in the last two lines.

Code:
AssignPriceColor(if close < close[1] AND volume > AvgVol then color.DARK_RED else color.current);

CJ_brt

Unusual Volume near 52 weeks high scanner: https://tos.mx/qksBhga

9Dlvd5q.png

1. Near 52 week high indicates strength
2. Unusual volume indicates current interest at peak
3. Sorting on Zscore or DMI oscillator --> intraday strength
4. Sustained momentum --> Daily and weekly RSI >60
5. Green on E1, E5, E15, E30, E4h --> strength
6. Chart Observations -> REGN is a good candidate at this time
7. Only possibility, it can change any time

yw1Y3fI.png

zqe8osh.png

My ThinkorSwim workspace: https://tos.mx/aIZeT6k

The basic concept of Z-Score is that it’s an oscillator denominated in standard deviations from the VWAP mean.
Hey there, I’m having some issues with this workspace. None of the indicators or screeners are working/coming through. Looks like a great setup, would love to give it a shot. Any chance you could share an updated link? Much appreciated in advance!

Technicalyst93

Unusual Volume near 52 weeks high scanner: https://tos.mx/qksBhga

9Dlvd5q.png

1. Near 52 week high indicates strength
2. Unusual volume indicates current interest at peak
3. Sorting on Zscore or DMI oscillator --> intraday strength
4. Sustained momentum --> Daily and weekly RSI >60
5. Green on E1, E5, E15, E30, E4h --> strength
6. Chart Observations -> REGN is a good candidate at this time
7. Only possibility, it can change any time

yw1Y3fI.png

zqe8osh.png

My ThinkorSwim workspace: https://tos.mx/aIZeT6k

The basic concept of Z-Score is that it’s an oscillator denominated in standard deviations from the VWAP mean.
I am a new trader, how do i save your thinkorswim workspace to my chart. just cannot seem to do it. anyone can help?

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
@stamenski I went through all four pages and did not see an instance of any posters using this an option scanner.
But I switched it over to options and it did find results.

CJ_brt

@CJ_brt This is not a workspace or a watchlist. The shared link Is a SCANNER.
Unusual Volume near 52 weeks high scanner: https://tos.mx/qksBhga Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links
View attachment 775
View attachment 776
I appreciate your help, but in all respect I’ve been using ToS for years and know how to load a simple SCANNER. I am talking about a workspace shared below the original post. If you check the thread you can see the post I replied to in regards to this WORKSPACE

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
@CJ_brt I am sorry for the confusion. Your question quoted my post which was referencing the scanner. Here are some guidelines to follow when posting to the forum to prevent future confusion --> https://usethinkscript.com/threads/answers-to-commonly-asked-questions.6006/#post-58016

From what I understand, your question is: Why don't the custom watchlist columns appear when loading a shared workspace?
When a workspace is saved, it saves all charts and all TOS & Custom studies within the charts. However, when watchlists are saved, it does not export any custom watchlist column scripts. In TOS, links to custom watchlist column scripts need to be shared individually for each column. They are not available within the shared workspace function.

CJ_brt

@CJ_brt I am sorry for the confusion. Your question quoted my post which was referencing the scanner. Here are some guidelines to follow when posting to the forum to prevent future confusion --> https://usethinkscript.com/threads/answers-to-commonly-asked-questions.6006/#post-58016

From what I understand, your question is: Why don't the custom watchlist columns appear when loading a shared workspace?
When a workspace is saved, it saves all charts and all TOS & Custom studies within the charts. However, when watchlists are saved, it does not export any custom watchlist column scripts. In TOS, links to custom watchlist column scripts need to be shared individually for each column. They are not available within the shared workspace function.
Thank you-apologies for my confusion and poor forum building. I saw some others having issue opening his workspace so I assumed we were all talking about that particular link.

I’m actually having trouble loading any of the scripts in the workspace-which I’m assuming are tied to the custom, color coded watchlist. (VIDYA2, which I have, but there are a few others). It’s possible it was shared without the studies included. I was hoping the original poster would see and repost as I’ve opened plenty of workspaces and it shouldn’t be an issue.

Basically when I open his workspace, I get a watchlist with his columns, and then his charts but they load in without any studies. The watchlist custom columns just show “loading”. In the end-no big deal, but looks like a great setup!

KevinSammy

VIP
Hello,

As many of you know, we can enable volume to be displayed as an overlap in the upper part of the chart.
I like doing this because it allows me to compare volume easily while simultaneously looking at the chart/candles. I used to have volume in the lower sections, but found that I wasn't using it well because I was too focused on the chart.

The one thing, however, that I liked about having volume in the lower section was that it showed the average volume for one's desired timeframe as a horizontal line across the volume bars. This was nice because of the additional analysis it provided.

My question is whether anyone knows how to display the average volume (per one's desired tim frame) as a horizontal line on the upper, overlap volume bars?

Thank you!

TradeUp

2019 Donor
Hello,

As many of you know, we can enable volume to be displayed as an overlap in the upper part of the chart.
I like doing this because it allows me to compare volume easily while simultaneously looking at the chart/candles. I used to have volume in the lower sections, but found that I wasn't using it well because I was too focused on the chart.

The one thing, however, that I liked about having volume in the lower section was that it showed the average volume for one's desired timeframe as a horizontal line across the volume bars. This was nice because of the additional analysis it provided.

My question is whether anyone knows how to display the average volume (per one's desired tim frame) as a horizontal line on the upper, overlap volume bars?

Thank you!
@KevinSammy , I found this nice little code on this forum that I am using. Check it out, it might be something similar to what you are asking for. It paints the candles that have 2x volume. You might find it useful.

#

declare lower;
declare zerobase;

input length = 50;

def AvgVol = Average(volume * 2);

plot Vol = volume;

Vol.SetLineWeight(3);
Vol.AssignValueColor(if close > close[1] then Vol.color("Up") else if close < close[1] then Vol.color("Down") else GetColor(1));

AssignPriceColor(if close > close[1] AND volume > AvgVol then color.White else color.current);
AssignPriceColor(if close < close[1] AND volume > AvgVol then color. Magenta else color.current);

TradeUp

2019 Donor
Simple script modification that helps me to confirm when a trend is broken. All it does is paint candles dark red or dark green if volume is 3x average. If you see anything wrong with the code please point it out thank you.

https://ibb.co/p2dmnFL - for an example on TSLA, I made good money trading puts off that broken trend.

Code:
#

declare lower;
declare zerobase;

input length = 50;

def AvgVol = Average(volume * 3);

plot Vol = volume;

Vol.SetLineWeight(3);

AssignPriceColor(if close > close[1] AND volume > AvgVol then color.DARK_GREEN else color.current);
I really like this indicator but Instead of changing the color of the candles can someone help me add arrows instead? Please.

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Looks like no contributor has been able to help you. It could be that it is not clear what you are asking or you did not provide enough information.

Please reply with a detail explanation of what you are trying to accomplish. or there is a risk that your post will be deleted due to inactivity.
Provide a marked-up screenshot of what a chart that displays what all your conditions would look like.
Questions without images are much less likely to get a response!
Unsure of how to upload screenshots to the forum, Here are directions.

When you are posting your question, please follow the guidelines found here:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/answers-to-commonly-asked-questions.6006/#post-58016

Here are some other options.

If you have this question, others will also. So if you find an answer to your question, could you post it to the forum? Your contribution will be helping a legion of like-minded traders and thinkscripters. Thanks!