Moving Average Master Strategy for ThinkOrSwim

Thank you for sharing. I typically use a 1m chart for entry and exit and mainly trade high liquid option stocks. I tested this strat using the 1m and did not get good results with the FloatingPL. I did try changing many of the settings options and still wasn't able to produce good results however, I did get pretty good results with a 5m chart. I tested MSFT,AAPL,TSLA, and NFLX. Do you mind sharing your 1m chart settings within this Strat?

@METAL Thanks so much for taking an interest in the strategy! I just put together a video explaining how to optimize .. (please don't make fun of my Southern drawl .. LOL ) See if this answers some of your questions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJsCk5a2yE8kAREz429Oob0rU7R9DER_/view?usp=sharing

@METAL Thanks so much for taking an interest in the strategy! I just put together a video explaining how to optimize .. (please don't make fun of my Southern drawl .. LOL ) See if this answers some of your questions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJsCk5a2yE8kAREz429Oob0rU7R9DER_/view?usp=sharing
What Southern drawl? As a Son of the South, I hear no drawl in your accent sir. You sound like me or any member of my family. LOL.
Seriously, thank you sharing your strategy and doing a video about it. I only trade /ES and nothing else (with an eye on the /NQ at all times) and will certainly put this on a side chart and watch it this week. Many thanks, and don't let folks overwhelm you with a 1,000 request to change this and change that and do a scan and on and on.

Good Trading and Happy Living,
Jeff

Last edited:

Great video thank you for sharing!
Would this be possible to share the whole trading experience using your automated approach?
Many thanks again.
Looking forward to learning more about your style and tool.

Well I am from the south as well so we sound somewhat similar. You may have me beat a little. This helped me more than you know. I have been asking for an understanding as to why the FloatingPL is used. To me, it seemed useless but now I see that it is to be used for optimization of individual strats. I am defininately interested in the Macro Recorder and will get into it. Since I mainly trade options, In your opinion, is the macro recorder applicable? I assume I would need to set it to use the "main" stock while the trade happens in the options chart. Not really sure if this is achievable.

This is great, thank you!! Looking forward to testing this strategy this week. Do you typically have extended hours on or off?

Does the stock, future, or forex you want to trade have heavy volume in the extended hours? Turn them on, if not turn them off but be sure to set the aggregation on the first bar setting.

Well I am from the south as well so we sound somewhat similar. You may have me beat a little. This helped me more than you know. I have been asking for an understanding as to why the FloatingPL is used. To me, it seemed useless but now I see that it is to be used for optimization of individual strats. I am defininately interested in the Macro Recorder and will get into it. Since I mainly trade options, In your opinion, is the macro recorder applicable? I assume I would need to set it to use the "main" stock while the trade happens in the options chart. Not really sure if this is achievable.

Everything is possible! It's just a matter of time, money, and resources. ;) For me, I don't have the time to write something like that. Off the top of my head .. one could create a condition order for the option trade triggered from a label, but now that I'm retired, I just don't want to work that hard! LOL

@METAL What the **********!!!! Are you doing on this thread!?

When someone writes a code to optimize study settings for optimal results that someone will be a legend.

@METAL What the **********!!!! Are you doing on this thread!?

When someone writes a code to optimize study settings for optimal results that someone will be a legend.
LOL. Just checking out some new stuff. It is interesting to say the least. I am looking at how to create the auto buy/sell labels for the TS strategy. This would be cool to try out on paper. I attempted to make the Auto buy/sell labels for TS but failed. (As usual). What are you doing here. Get back in your corner 🤪.

LOL. Just checking out some new stuff. It is interesting to say the least. I am looking at how to create the auto buy/sell labels for the TS strategy. This would be cool to try out on paper. I attempted to make the Auto buy/sell labels for TS but failed. (As usual). What are you doing here. Get back in your corner 🤪.

TS strategy? Is it for paid members or do you have a link?

Here you go .. There are better videos on youtube on how to use Marco Recorder. But this is how I'm using it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uq1IMBaUw96mFSAgL02d1LQcJT_3V8W_/view?usp=sharing
@dap711 Thank you for your prompt reply and creating new video.
You have a spark for teaching :)
1. Forgive my ignorance, when do you perform the strategy tuning ? (before the market ? daily ?)
2. Would you know if the Macro Recorder can be set to watch for "condition" based upon more then single label?
Example : multiple frames (1m, 3m, 5m) across the screen with labels each
Looking forward learn more about your trading experience using tis strategy and tool updates.

New update ..

1. Removed the smoothing. (I found by using decimals in the average length, smoothing is no longer needed.)
2. Bug in the "Sell" label.

Code was:
Ruby:
AddLabel(ShowAutoKeyLabels and diff[1] < diff[2] and high < MA and OpenOrders < 0 and (if UseVolumeAsFilter then VolStrength>0 else yes), "     SELL     ", CreateColor(255, 102, 102));

Should have been:
Ruby:
AddLabel(ShowAutoKeyLabels and diff[1] < diff[2] and high < MA and OpenOrders > -1 and (if UseVolumeAsFilter then VolStrength>0 else yes), "     SELL     ", CreateColor(255, 102, 102));

New shared link in post one.

Last edited:
@dap711 Thank you for your prompt reply and creating new video.
You have a spark for teaching :)
1. Forgive my ignorance, when do you perform the strategy tuning ? (before the market ? daily ?)
2. Would you know if the Macro Recorder can be set to watch for "condition" based upon more then single label?
Example : multiple frames (1m, 3m, 5m) across the screen with labels each
Looking forward learn more about your trading experience using tis strategy and tool updates.

1. I tune before and during the day on a daily bases. Today I chose SPY to trade. I was expecting a big bounce from Fridays market. I started with the one minute chart and started losing. I went into the red $180, so I switch to the 5 minute chart and re-optimized. Made the $150 Back and closed the day $268 in the green. (If I had only taken a little more to optimize, I could have had a green $400 day.)
2. There isn't a limit to the number "labels" or positions it can monitor. The only draw back I have found about the software, is that you can only have one instance of it open at a time.

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
444 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back