Moving Average Buy / Sell Chart Setup for ThinkOrSwim

merc2226

VIP
here is my set up I have been using.

I use it for day trading and don't hold any positions overnight so that is why open and close at the start and end of the trading session.

if candle closes above all 4 ema's, the 7,13, 48 and 200 then a position would be opened, if the candle is above all 4 ema's a call would be purchased, if it closes below all 4 ema's a put would be purchased.
If candle is between all 4 then no trade is open.
The trade is then closed as soon as the candle crosses the 13 ema.
see picture, my candles are gray when the candles are not above or below all of the ema's.
the arrows represent the 7 and 13 ema cross, that is my indication to open or close my position.
the arrow could trigger when the candle is still in between the ema's if that is the case it is opened as soon as it closes above or below all 4, then closed when the 7 and 13 ema cross.
if the trading session opens and all the criteria's are met that would open a new position at the start of the day, lets say I would open the position at 9:32.

http://tos.mx/CDXB2ux
1x3FWMN.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is really slick! What kind of results have you gotten from it? Also, can you describe in a bit of detail the interpretation of the Elvis Yellow vertical colors? I've tried a few different time frames with just that indicator in use and the color red hasn't shown up.

Last edited:
That is really slick! What kind of results have you gotten from it? Also, can you describe in a bit of detail the interpretation of the Elvis Yellow vertical colors? I've tried a few different time frames with just that indicator in use and the color red hasn't shown up.

I disabled the red and green background for long and short because I found I couldn’t really see the chart with the colors behind it. So the yellow keeps me out of trades and I enter based on long above 200 and short below. It works well with spy but takes a lot of patience. Maybe 1-3 trades a day. It’s never getting the full love so I did find with options the best play is sell half +20%, then set stop to even and move up as you go. It guarantees a 10% win when you get to 20%.
Takes a lot of discipline but works if fomo doesn’t get you. Some big trades are missed but waiting for the entry, good entries off the ema and discipline will get you green.

("if candle closes above all 4 ema's, the 7,13, 48 and 200 then a position would be opened, if the candle is above all 4 ema's a call would be purchased, if it closes below all 4 ema's a put would be purchased.")

@merc2226 : Did you also set auto Buy/Sell rules to work with this chart? Curious as to how much monitoring is needed: I'm going to add alerts

I disabled the red and green background for long and short because I found I couldn’t really see the chart with the colors behind it. So the yellow keeps me out of trades and I enter based on long above 200 and short below. It works well with spy but takes a lot of patience. Maybe 1-3 trades a day. It’s never getting the full love so I did find with options the best play is sell half +20%, then set stop to even and move up as you go. It guarantees a 10% win when you get to 20%.
Takes a lot of discipline but works if fomo doesn’t get you. Some big trades are missed but waiting for the entry, good entries off the ema and discipline will get you green.

from your initial post "the arrows represent the 7 and 13 ema cross," I see arrow on the lower chart, is that what you're referring to? On the upper chart I see buy & sell bubbles. TIA

Last edited:
a lot of monitoring is needed. you cant buy till it pulls back and rejects the era's and continues in the direction.

no on the auto buy and sell, I dont think you can do that on TOS.

Hello,
Thank you for sharing this, in the post you have mentioned 7,13,48 and 200 EMA's but when I put your TOS link it is showing me 9,50,200 EMA. Did you change your set up?
And, can you please explain how you use the bottom indicator?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
311 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back