Black Dog System Indicator for ThinkorSwim - Strategy

P

Playstation

VIP
;) also meddled around the sides, found constants then added my own agg period. thanks @tomsk as always. if you're anywhere around the city of crazy rich asian lemme know, got you a beer in your name.

T

tomsk

VIP
;) also meddled around the sides, found constants then added my own agg period. thanks @tomsk as always. if you're anywhere around the city of crazy rich asian lemme know, got you a beer in your name.

@Playstation Where is that? Now I'm real curious. Sounds like you're one of them.

T

Trading51

2019 Donor
Warehouse
Simple - Just Google "Download RAR" and follow the trail. I kind of guessed this was going to be the follow up question. Now how did I know? Because I'm a mind reader
Got RAR it opened!

T

tomsk

VIP
@Trading51 Good for you, when @tenacity11 first posted the BlackDog link, I noticed it has a RAR file extension and hence that was why I made that comment. Now you'll be able to look deeper into how the BlackDog study works. All the very best!

P

Playstation

VIP
@Playstation Where is that? Now I'm real curious. Sounds like you're one of them.
Singapore dude! I'm certainly not one of them, if not I won't be trading 😭 middle working class slogging away for my higher ups! oh i feel so lucky.

T

tomsk

VIP
Singapore dude! I'm certainly not one of them, if not I won't be trading 😭 middle working class slogging away for my higher ups! oh i feel so lucky.

Okay I'll bear that in mind for the future. You're way too kind. Thinkscript is actually quite straightforward once you have gone through the tutorials and either studied or done lots of examples. Even an artist, a mechanic or a painter can pick it up quick easily. I spent a few years in the ThinkScript lounge, been "trained" by Mobius and other great contributors there. Anything you need, just tag me on a message and I'll do what I can to assist. Stay safe.

P

Playstation

VIP
Okay I'll bear that in mind for the future. You're way too kind. Thinkscript is actually quite straightforward once you have gone through the tutorials and either studied or done lots of examples. Even an artist, a mechanic or a painter can pick it up quick easily. I spent a few years in the ThinkScript lounge, been "trained" by Mobius and other great contributors there. Anything you need, just tag me on a message and I'll do what I can to assist. Stay safe.
Thanks! I'm learning bit by bit, but as I trade, I realize no matter what variables you input in, it always "lags" in the sense that price, volume, or something else needs to move first before the indicator settles at candle close. Something is missing in my trading system, that can predict what's the future movement will be like, except fibo but that's a drawing tool. After watching and reading so much, I think I need to go back to basics, support resistance, and candlesticks.

T

tomsk

VIP
Thanks! I'm learning bit by bit, but as I trade, I realize no matter what variables you input in, it always "lags" in the sense that price, volume, or something else needs to move first before the indicator settles at candle close. Something is missing in my trading system, that can predict what's the future movement will be like, except fibo but that's a drawing tool. After watching and reading so much, I think I need to go back to basics, support resistance, and candlesticks.

@Playstation It's pretty hard to predict future movement. However whatever you do, pay attention to market internals especially if you are a day trader. If you are not already familiar with this topic, have a look through the following link which may help somewhat.

Keep an eye out on the volatility futures in a backwardation state. In 2018 for instance the volatility futures were in a massive backwardation state for 16 weeks while in 2019, it only happened for 2 weeks. For 2020 - it's anyone's guess but I'm certainly keeping a watchful eye. You might also like to play with the following study, which I updated for a requestor about a month ago. Best of luck!

P

Playstation

VIP
@tomsk wow! Thank you! I do set up the market internals in a chart, with $tick $trin etc. but this the first time i come across an indicator on this. Gonna take me another 1-2 hours of reading but new knowledge is always good! You have 2 beers to your name now ha!

T

Trading51

2019 Donor
Warehouse
Black dog MTF ? have it set on the 20 minute and use a 5 minute time frame that would be a decent fit for this

T

Trading51

2019 Donor
Warehouse
Thanks you

P

Playstation

VIP
I may need your help to explain a little on the top and bottom chart AD bubble.
On a /CL chart 5mins, the high is 231, low is 41 close 132 Avg -73. What does it mean? The rate of change?

@Playstation It's pretty hard to predict future movement. However whatever you do, pay attention to market internals especially if you are a day trader. If you are not already familiar with this topic, have a look through the following link which may help somewhat.

Keep an eye out on the volatility futures in a backwardation state. In 2018 for instance the volatility futures were in a massive backwardation state for 16 weeks while in 2019, it only happened for 2 weeks. For 2020 - it's anyone's guess but I'm certainly keeping a watchful eye. You might also like to play with the following study, which I updated for a requestor about a month ago. Best of luck!

T

tomsk

VIP
@Playstation Many studies have been posted, not sure which one you're referring to. Post the study and I'll do what I can to better explain to you

T

tomsk

VIP
Noticed your message was posted to another thread, read this link for a follow up

M

MAYissues

Today's question (ha ha)... What's the code to have a text box in the top left of the chart that shows the direction of the last BDog arrow? I've discovered AddLabel but am unable to get it to work correctly. As always, thank you.
@hashy I've got a basic addlabel on mine that shows the BDup or down in the corner. It only works if there's a BD within a few bars and then goes away after a while. Still learning thinkscript. I'll post when I get a chance

M

MAYissues

@hashy

Add this at the end of the code:

AddLabel(BD, concat("BD:", if UpCross then "UP" else if DnCross then "DOWN" else "NAN"), if UpCross then color.GREEN else if DnCross then color.RED else color.WHITE);

Billions

Billions

2019 Donor
Warehouse
@hashy Hi when I add the Addlabel it won't work its in red

Billions

Billions

2019 Donor
Warehouse
@BenTen Can you help when I add this to the study for an label (AddLabel(BD, concat("BD:", if UpCross then "UP" else if DnCross then "DOWN" else "NAN"), if UpCross then color.GREEN else if DnCross then color.RED else color.WHITE)
I get an error on addable BD

Last edited by a moderator: