A trend, momentum and cycle Trading System v3.0 (CSA)

@ThinkDan The CSA will work much better if you find stocks that are trending in one direction...Look for %Gainers and %Losers in TOS...then use the CSA...Also...select the indicators in the CSA that work the best together...Having ALL indicators set to YES does not mean better results...Sometimes fewer indicators you will get better results.

@ThinkDan The CSA will work much better if you find stocks that are trending in one direction...Look for %Gainers and %Losers in TOS...then use the CSA...Also...select the indicators in the CSA that work the best together...Having ALL indicators set to YES does not mean better results...Sometimes fewer indicators you will get better results.
Thnaks @HighBredCloud, I will give a shot tomorrow with papermoney account.

Has anybody ever made a dropdown menu option to switch between each of the strategies for backtesting?

Yes :) it takes a couple of clicks but you can open the settings and scroll down. After the "Show Labels [ Yes ] " setting as you scroll down you get a box for the number of indicators that have to agree for the trend to change color, so if you want to just see what one indicator will paint the bars you change this value to 1..
Later down you see options like "Use TTM Trend [Yes] " so if you do not want to backtest with this you would just shut it off by switching to NO...
If you only wanted to test 1 indicator you would need to set all of them to NO.
That is how we have been back testing over here. It does take ~3 mouse clicks.

Yes :) it takes a couple of clicks but you can open the settings and scroll down. After the "Show Labels [ Yes ] " setting as you scroll down you get a box for the number of indicators that have to agree for the trend to change color, so if you want to just see what one indicator will paint the bars you change this value to 1..
Later down you see options like "Use TTM Trend [Yes] " so if you do not want to backtest with this you would just shut it off by switching to NO...
If you only wanted to test 1 indicator you would need to set all of them to NO.
That is how we have been back testing over here. It does take ~3 mouse clicks.
ahhh ok, I thought enable just meant show the label. Didn't realize it didnt include it in the calc. Appreciate it! Also, what combo have you seen the best results with?

Also, are these the correct order lines in the backtest? If so, there's a major problem...
AddOrder(condition = bullish, type = OrderType.BUY_TO_OPEN, price = open,name = "OL");
AddOrder(condition = bearish, type = OrderType.SELL_TO_CLOSE, price = open,name = "TS");

Last edited:
Also, are these the correct order lines in the backtest? If so, there's a major problem...
AddOrder(condition = bullish, type = OrderType.BUY_TO_OPEN, price = open,name = "OL");
AddOrder(condition = bearish, type = OrderType.SELL_TO_CLOSE, price = open,name = "TS");
If you go to the end the coloring is under bullish or bearish but I replaced that with just using sState because I thought it was becoming so unruly that I thought it was eating up my computers resources...
Right now I just sat down for an hour and redid the True Momentum Oscillator like you had mentioned to me. I am accounting for the narrowing before the momentum bands change color, the slopes when it changes color,. and how overbought or oversold it was. I am using four momentum bands spread out over time.
I am probably not weighing them correctly.
I also lost what I consider to be the perfect CSA setup sooo I feel silly for that.
I badly need a ADX module and some sort of simple line crossovers... That could soften the scoring system the others are using.

@MattATM actually the issue I noticed is much simpler than that. If you run your back test with the price being left as open, you'll notice when you run the report that the price being used for order entry is the OPEN PRICE OF THE DAY BEFORE you see the order display show up. The problem there being, if the rules are triggered mid-day, you obviously can't go back in time to use the opening price of the day. Run the "show report" and see if you're getting the same result. Of course, if you chance open to another price, you'll get completely different result and often much crappier lol

@MattATM actually the issue I noticed is much simpler than that. If you run your back test with the price being left as open, you'll notice when you run the report that the price being used for order entry is the OPEN PRICE OF THE DAY BEFORE you see the order display show up. The problem there being, if the rules are triggered mid-day, you obviously can't go back in time to use the opening price of the day. Run the "show report" and see if you're getting the same result. Of course, if you chance open to another price, you'll get completely different result and often much crappier lol
Uhm I hope not...
I have the following on the beginning for my price.
Code:
declare upper;

input showLabels = yes;
def V = volume;
def h = high;
def l = low;
def o = open;
def c = close;
def hl = hl2;

def na = Double.NaN;

input ShowCurrentMoneyFlowVolume = yes;
AddLabel(ShowCurrentMoneyFlowVolume, "CSA", Color.WHITE);

I leave show extended hours and begin accumulation when day starts on in my equities...
Can you show me where you are backtesting?
I really need to be backtesting I am 100% using my human eyes right now.
Did you see my last message to you in UseThinkScript from ben10?

Uhm I hope not...
I have the following on the beginning for my price.
Code:
declare upper;

input showLabels = yes;
def V = volume;
def h = high;
def l = low;
def o = open;
def c = close;
def hl = hl2;

def na = Double.NaN;

input ShowCurrentMoneyFlowVolume = yes;
AddLabel(ShowCurrentMoneyFlowVolume, "CSA", Color.WHITE);

I leave show extended hours and begin accumulation when day starts on in my equities...
Can you show me where you are backtesting?
I really need to be backtesting I am 100% using my human eyes right now.
Did you see my last message to you in UseThinkScript from ben10?
I can't remember if I pulled those order entry lines from this thread or another, but essentially you just add the 2 order lines and change out whatever the condition variable is. Then just add the extended floating PL coding from another thread (it's amazing) in the SAME entry as your strategy on the upper chart. Then turn on your declare lower floating PL. You'll get the infographic in the top and the PL on the lower chart.

I'm was mainly doing the charting on the daily chart,, but the issue persists on all time frames.

Which message are you referring to? #193 on here? I havent been on much in the last week or 2.

Which message are you referring to? #193 on here? I havent been on much in the last week or 2.
You should have been invited to a onedrive folder. If you post the study that is using the wrong open price from the last day post it over there.
Maybe we could use one of Mobius GetDay scripts... I have not backtested because all of my improvements have been so obvious like the logic or a math equation there was no need to back test.
Soon we should back test and it would be great to do it together!
TY 🤑(y)

You should have been invited to a onedrive folder. If you post the study that is using the wrong open price from the last day post it over there.
Maybe we could use one of Mobius GetDay scripts... I have not backtested because all of my improvements have been so obvious like the logic or a math equation there was no need to back test.
Soon we should back test and it would be great to do it together!
TY 🤑(y)
I literally JUST saw the invite this morning, still reading through to catch up on where you guys are at.

Also, if I remember correctly if you just use one of the strategies from TD's default list, youll get the same result.

Last edited:
I have been away for a bit but am happy to see there is still some life to this indicator. I spent many hours testing various combinations of this when it was released. I eventually landed on a combo that I thought was best for me, but I always thought there was room for improvement. I also like periods of grey candles, so I made sure my settings weren’t always red or green candles. Recently I discovered the built in CAM indicator which is good for staying out of chop. Anyways, keep up the good work!

I have been away for a bit but am happy to see there is still some life to this indicator. I spent many hours testing various combinations of this when it was released. I eventually landed on a combo that I thought was best for me, but I always thought there was room for improvement. I also like periods of grey candles, so I made sure my settings weren’t always red or green candles. Recently I discovered the built in CAM indicator which is good for staying out of chop. Anyways, keep up the good work!
thanks @dolomick - glad it helped and you were able to make it your own. re: CAM thanks for the pointer. Any specific settings that have worked well for you?

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.