The Universe of ThinkScript - Your One Stop Research Shop!

@markos Probably the reason why the TOS helpdesk staff directed you to it is that it is written in very simple and easy to understand language, most scripts are really short and compact and thus easy for the novice reader to digest. At least that was my experience years ago when I first stumbled upon the work of Mr Lattoz.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

I very much like the candle structure although I'm not sure I should post it here? A link was provided on OneNote but I really do not understand its purpose other than to have upper and lower macd histograms, ema's programmed into the upper indicator. I know our coders here may very well know the gentleman....Nootherids: Id , Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - archived 1. So, how does this work, how do I use this and can or should I use the scripts? THANKS. So I need to ask our pros to sort it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@J007RMC Either post the complete study or the link and someone will review and provide comments. However be very specific in what you're actually looking for to enable others to more effectively help you

Im definetlety not a coder

12:59 Nootherids: MTS....I checked through different symbols and that is exactly the problem. Everytime it's in the same candle. Both orders register (which is fine with me at this point in the strategy), the problem is that the Report itself enters into the spreadsheet the Sell order before the Open order instead of the other way around. The strategy seems like it's working, but the report itself is out of order. It seems like a bug in the report system, but I'm gonna have to find a way around it by modifying the conditions like you said. Maybe forcing a minimum 1 bar between orders? I don't know how yet but I'll figure it out. Thank you!!!!!
13:00 Nootherids: And Alpha....thank you for informing me about the AddBubbles option as an alternative to Labels. I'm gonna play around with that to see how to force location to the upper left on the chart.
13:00 MTS1: != means not equal
13:00 JohnnyQuotron: Today's LoungeArchive is current
13:01 MTS1: And !BuyCondition, but probably needs more than that.
13:01 MTS1: just think about your logic; when do you really wantto buy and when would you close it out. No point closing it out if you'd still buy it, so something wrong with your logic.
13:02 MTS1: No way to force bubbles to your window corner. Labels only know where the window is and does not know anyghing about the chart, what's behind it, etc. Bubbles only know about your chart, not how much you have your window oome etc.
13:03 MTS1: *not how much you have your chart or window zoomed in
13:05 a m a l i a: Mobius gave an example of pushing bubbles to the top right screen one time when he shared an Elliot wave/pivot study
13:05 AlphaInvestor: he had one for pushing bubbles to the bottom right too
13:05 JohnnyQuotron: regarding bubble location... it is very clumsy but if you like you can use the first bar as your x coordinate and the highestall (high) + (.05 * (highestall(high) - lowestall(low)) as your y-coordinate which gives you an approximation of the upper left corner of the chart
13:06 AlphaInvestor: as long as you don't zoom in
13:06 JohnnyQuotron: top right of the screen would use highestall(barnumber() as the x axis coordinate i believe
13:06 a m a l i a: Much to learn yet, MTS1
13:06 MTS1: Believe Mobius was usiing infinity iirc
13:07 MTS1: but not left-corner for sure ;)
13:07 a m a l i a: jk you&aposre very knowledgeable :)
13:08 JohnnyQuotron: mts.. i wish i understood infinity
13:08 JohnnyQuotron: i have seen it used in a vertical cloud script i believe
13:14 AlphaInvestor: JQ - question in Trader Lounge if you have any insight
13:14 Nootherids: AH, if you can't force a position then the bubbles might not work for me. I was trying to make it look like other charting platforms where you could for example show on the left hand side the EMA on top, then the SMA below that, then VWAP next below, etc...
13:15 MTS1: a bubble is tied to an x/y axis anywhere on a chart, and a label always starts left-top of your pane
13:15 MTS1: if you really want to force lines; add a whole bunch of spaces in your label text; but the chart behind it would still be hidden.
13:16 harndog2: Q: Is Mobius gone?
13:17 Nootherids: That's a way to do it MTS...I'll give that a shot to see if it's even worth the trouble. It's an easy enough experiment.
13:17 AlphaInvestor: on vacation, possibly retired
13:17 harndog2: Thanks, AI...hopefully, just vacationing...
13:18 MTS1: He said he'd be back in a month; I'm keeping him to it! :)
13:18 Nootherids: And I think for the Buy vs Sell discussion we had, maybe putting the addOrder into an If expression might work. It won't be pretty, but it might do for now
13:18 AlphaInvestor: He posted his 100th script, he said that would be his last.
13:18 MTS1: that was after he said he'd be back in a month; cmon Alpha, help me here ;)
13:18 harndog2: Ai, I looked on his MyTrade, I did not see it. Can someone re-post
13:18 Nootherids: Will the GetQuantity() != 0 work on a strategy? or only on a study?
13:19 AlphaInvestor: gimme a sec .. .working a trade
13:19 UpTheCreek: try it and see...
13:19 MTS1: GetQuantity only works on your account positions, not strategy pos
13:20 AlphaInvestor: he said he put it on MyTrade . a GACD
13:20 harndog2: Cool, I will check again
13:21 Nube: I didn’t see it on his my trade yesterday. I did see a fractal pivot strategy for mobile with a crafty expression for finding the most recent lower low or higher high.
13:22 MTS1: EntryPrice() afaik is the only strategy limited function besides AddOrder()
13:22 Nube: I am stealing that one.
13:23 Nootherids: MTS....how about "IF FPL != 0 then Sell_to_close..."? Will that at least ensure at least a change from the Buy order?
13:23 PMstock: How do you setup to automatically draw a high and low line for stock?
13:23 Nube: When I see stuff like that I remember that I wish I had a quarter of his brain
13:23 AlphaInvestor: also busy patching systems for that new nasty bug MSFT announced
13:23 AlphaInvestor: Noot - nope
13:24 Nootherids: :-/
13:24 Nube: Nooth, you might try plotting entryprice() to see if it has a value you can access
13:25 MTS1: Noot; think it through, you need to refine your thinking on when you want to really open and close a position. Regarding open quantity you can track this yourself; something like this could keep track of open position: def OpenQ = IF buycondition and !SellCondition then quantity else if Sellcondition and !BuyCondition then 0 else OpenQ[1]
13:25 Nube: If so you might be able to use !IsNaN(entryprice())
13:25 Nube: But you should fix the underlying problem instead
13:25 MTS1: ^^^^^
13:26 MTS1: PM; plot h = high and plot l = low? Be a bit more specific;)

The candle structure is very clean.. This a study that interests me but I do not completely understand this

@J007RMC Are you interested in the color of the candles? If so, there is nothing special about it except that you can customize the candles from your ToS settings:

QAzIrsj.png

That grid chart you shared contained two MACD indicators, RSI, some sort of crossover strategy/indicator.

Well I wonder what the blue color means? ema cross? but color is not important really the structure I like but not understanding how this thing works has got me

@J007RMC None of the indicators in that grid chart influence the color of the candles. It was adjusted that way according to that settings.

@J007RMC Nope, the blue color has nothing to do with any EMA crossover as you eluded to. To convince yourself all you need to do is to load that link and remove all the studies therein. You will still see blue candles which means that the originator of that link probably wanted blue to replace green candles and brown to replace red candles. I would not read top deep into that

I have copied "most" of the material off the TOS Learning Center in reference to "scripting" instructional. The link below will provide you with a word document where I culminated that data for easy searching via "clt+f"+ search parameter. Each item's hyperlink should work to bring you back to the TOS learning center however there won't be much on there that is not in the document. In the event you do find something missing please inform me and I will look at adding it. I by no means am a coder in fact I've only done one code on ThinkScript, which I used this document to help me struggle through. Again this is not my data all data was pulled from TOS website I merely culminated it into a document for easier reference.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JJUHjhCASdAmv2JvXAsEHuVV-UudlNkK/view?usp=drivesdk

Good Luck

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. Please enable the share settings in Google Drive so that we don't have to request for permission to view the document.