SPX Trading Strategy for ThinkorSwim

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hypoluxa I have a question hope you can help... Yesterday (april 12th) at 13:50 (CT) red dot below cero line MA cross happend 13:40.. I entered a PUT 4115... it went up a little but then changed direction... where would you have exited the trade? (at what time)? when the dot changed to green (14:20)? or when the bar turned green ?(14:30)... in any case I took the loss.. could have close with a profit but wanted to let it ride... thank you...

That trade wasn't setup properly for entry... The MACD_BB line was above the zeroline rather than a distance below... The Didi_Index was also weak... Poor trade decision overall... The 3/9 crossover and ErgodicOsc were not enough to confirm the trade... You only had half of the required confirmations... Hey, it happens to all of us at times by being too eager to get in early when we shouldn't get in at all...

Ben's Swing Trading Strategy + Indicator

I wouldn't call this a course. My goal is zero fluff. I will jump right into my current watchlist, tell you the ThinkorSwim indicator that I'm using, and past trade setups to help you understand my swing trading strategy.

I'm Interested

That trade wasn't setup properly for entry... The MACD_BB line was above the zeroline rather than a distance below... The Didi_Index was also weak... Poor trade decision overall... The 3/9 crossover and ErgodicOsc were not enough to confirm the trade... You only had half of the required confirmations... Hey, it happens to all of us at times by being too eager to get in early when we shouldn't get in at all...
Rad thanks for your input. I can't insert the image, I have the setup for SPX as the first post from Hypoluxa.. as I have it setup at 13:40 the red dot is below 0 line (-0.224) and at 13:50 is at -0.42... i don't know if I have something set up differently than you... Didi Index I don't have it on...is there a post in here were I can understand on how to use it and install it?

Last edited:
Rad thanks for your input. I can't insert the image, I have the setup for SPX as the first post from Hypoluxa.. as I have it setup at 13:40 the red dot is below 0 line (-0.224) and at 13:50 is at -0.42... i don't know if I have something set up differently than you... Didi Index I don't have it on...is there a post in here were I can understand on how to use it and install it?
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/how-to-insert-image-in-a-post-thread.277/#post-1609

@Rodrigov Below is what my chart looked like on the 12th... As you can see, I have my chart set to the same settings as @Hypoluxa describes in his initial post... I can say where the discrepancy is because I can't see your chart settings... Can you post an image of your Study Settings Panel...???

pLXxAYp.png

fd0jRl8.png

@rad14733 for example now at 12:16 this is how it looks for 13-april till today.
I have price as LAST and unchecked afterhours in the Equities Chart Setting

@Rodrigov -seems like your settings are correct. However your chart in post above does not show one of the requirements ; the zero line cross. Please check posts 1, 45 & 61. It is my understanding that, without a cross, it is a "no go". Taking the trade seems to reduce the probability to obtain the win.
Are you using the SPX study developed by Barbaros?? It identifies entry points according to the requirements. Hope this help.

@Rodrigov -seems like your settings are correct. However your chart in post above does not show one of the requirements ; the zero line cross. Please check posts 1, 45 & 61. It is my understanding that, without a cross, it is a "no go". Taking the trade seems to reduce the probability to obtain the win.
Are you using the SPX study developed by Barbaros?? It identifies entry points according to the requirements. Hope this help.
@rad14733 thanks for your help... today I had a good call 100% win and went 230%... looks good..... I'm only using the original strategy as posted.. where do I find the study developed by Barbaros? I can use them as confirmation i guess.

@rad14733 thanks for your help... today I had a good call 100% win and went 230%... looks good..... I'm only using the original strategy as posted.. where do I find the study developed by Barbaros? I can use them as confirmation i guess.
i did not see any set up today. there was BB cross either way so it was no go. Great that you made some but it was not the part of this strategy as long as i know.

@Rodrigov - you should have seen the posts from @barbaros here related to the study that captures the original requirements developed by @Hypoluxa . I believe we are in version 16. Check page #42. Copy and paste study in TOS. In addition, as @rad14733 indicated above, there is another topic [Balanced BB Breakout] with a similar study developed by Barbaros. Hope this help.

@Rodrigov - you are counting the 9:30 am cross as a valid sign. seems like it worked this time for you. Please check post #350. According to @Hypoluxa, a cross at 9:30am is a "No go".
9:30 in backtesting has proven to be short lived or choppy. For some reason, 9:40 is a lot smoother AND most importantly, the SMA's need to cross AFTER the opening bell. If the SMA's crossed the prior day and is a carry over...that's also not a good entry.

The short answer is that if you can see it on a chart you can detect it with a scan just as long as the indicator script isn't too complex for the scanner to process... And multiple indicators can be used as well... Most of my scans use multiple indicators... The only potential issue would be that of subjective interpretations versus literal interpretations... Play around with the scanner and see what you can come up with... At the very least you should be able to come up with an alert that things look interesting and worth monitoring...
Ok Thanks. I will try your suggestion.

9:30 in backtesting has proven to be short lived or choppy. For some reason, 9:40 is a lot smoother AND most importantly, the SMA's need to cross AFTER the opening bell. If the SMA's crossed the prior day and is a carry over...that's also not a good entry.
Thanks for your input.... The dot crossed at 8:40am (CT) I entered the call until 9:10am because as you say it was choppy.. probably got lucky since SMA crossed one day before..... shall wait for the next one...

I am very new to this world. I will try this setup for spx.. is there anyways i can set alert ... or how can i set the alert for this setup.....would be very appreciate for help...

I am very new to this world. I will try this setup for spx.. is there anyways i can set alert ... or how can i set the alert for this setup.....would be very appreciate for help...
@harry20 - the study developed by @barbaros include alerts as part of the set up. Copy and paste in TOS and check the different options provided. Check page #42, I believe is version 16. Hope this help.

@Hypoluxa, getting a little confused on these two setting.. can you confirm both for me? Thx.

SPX -
Price Type - Last, Bid, Ask, or Mark?
Show Extended Hours - Enabled or Disabled?

AMZN -

@Hypoluxa, getting a little confused on these two setting.. can you confirm both for me? Thx.

SPX -

AMZN -
"last" for both and extended hours enabled for both

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
457 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back