Schwab-TDA Merger: Thoughts, Rumors, Sightings...

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

When I attempt to open shared item, then when I preview I get error message, "the URL I've entered appears to be broken".

Ralph Meraz

@atpnguyen
Are you a schwabbie? Or have you been migrated to the Schwab?
Schwabbie links are not a stable function currently. They cannot be shared.

TDA links can be shared with Schwabbies, but there is a lag between system ports between the two apps.
kKUCyK5.png

Sometimes, members have had to wait until Monday, as it seems they wait to port over weekends.

All these issues will be resolved when Schwab gets us all onto the same app.
Schwab is currently aiming at having all issues resolved by May 2024.
@ysanchezmd @Ramisegal
I have accounts with both brokers. So I might have to wait until May?

I have accounts with both brokers. So I might have to wait until May?

If you are a Schwabbie or the shared link was created by a Schwabbie; shared links are not enabled.
While additions such as new shared links that occur on the TDA version of the app are ported to the Schwab,
there is currently no mechanism to take additions to the Schwab version and port them to the TDA.

If you are logging into ToS with TDA credentials and the link was created on the TDA servers; you only have to wait until the next build update (usually the weekend, sometimes sooner).

If all else fails; and the script is only available with a share link that you cannot access; you can make a post in that script thread and ask the OP to cut and paste his script into the thread so you can copy it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
i have a quick question. After Transition to Schwab. Can i still use TOS on my desktop to trade?
Thank you

Yes, you can still use the ToS app on your desktop to trade after transition to Schwab.
You do not need to re-install the app or anything.
The ONLY change is that you will be signing in with your Schwab credentials.
(you will start receiving prompts to create your Schwab credentials approximately around April 9th).

When you sign on with Schwab, all your custom studies, watchlists, scans which were stored on the TDA servers, will be available on the Schwab servers.

Last edited:
FYI:

Workspaces and any saved links are not stored on TDA servers, therefore they will not be transferred.
To reload those:
1. create shared links before May 10th.
2. WRITE THOSE LINKS DOWN IN A SAFE PLACE!
Workspaces and links will NOT be in your library in the Schwab ToS version.
3. sign-in May 13th or after, with your Schwab log-on
4. load your shared workspaces and links. Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links

Last edited:
Yes, you can still use the ToS app on your desktop to trade after transition to Schwab.
You do not need to re-install the app or anything.
The ONLY change is that you will be signing in with your Schwab credentials.
(you will start receiving prompts to create your Schwab credentials approximately around April 9th).

When you sign on with Schwab, all your custom studies, watchlists, scans which were stored on the TDA servers, will be available on the Schwab servers.

Workspaces and any saved links are not stored on TDA servers, therefore they will not be transferred.
To reload those:
1. create shared links before May 10th.
2. WRITE THOSE LINKS DOWN IN A SAFE PLACE!
Workspaces and links will NOT be in your library in the Schwab ToS version.
3. when you sign-in with your Schwab log-on
4. load your shared workspaces and links. Click here for --> Easiest way to load shared links

I save and share my various workspaces, each night, and write down the link in a desktop screen sticky note.
I do not open the app with my setup loaded.
1. I use different workspaces depending on what type of trading day it is.
2. I use different workspaces depending on which rigs or laptops, I am using.
3. I, personally, experience more corruption issues when setups load while opening the app.
So for me, the faster, cleaner, easier method is to open the app first and then load my workspace.
I create the link to backup then log in with Schwab account and open that link. does it keep my workspace as the account with TD?

I create the link to backup then log in with Schwab account and open that link. does it keep my workspace as the account with TD?
You create the shared workspace link before May 10th.
Then after the migration, on May 13th, you will log in with your new Schwab credentials.
At that point, you can import your shared workspace link and
voilà, your workspace will load, and your setup will be a mirror of what you had before.

PS: you ONLY have to do this, if you have detached charts, watchlists, message lists, active trader, grids, trade activity tables, etc...
and it is really really not a big deal...
With 6 charts and 8 detached widgets. It takes me less than 10 minutes to build my workspace from scratch
1X1UZ1S.png

If you are only trading with a single grid or chart, those will be saved on the Schwab servers.
You will simply reload them.

Last edited:
@MerryDay as always, thank you for watching over this community and sharing your expertise.
I couldn't help to notice your charts screen has few indicators I am not familiar with.
Perhaps, these are modified or work-in-progress?
I hope you can find time in your busy schedule for another blog, sharing your workspace.
Thank you.

If you are a Schwabbie or the shared link was created by a Schwabbie; shared links are not enabled.
While additions such as new shared links that occur on the TDA version of the app are ported to the Schwab,
there is currently no mechanism to take additions to the Schwab version and port them to the TDA.

If you are logging into ToS with TDA credentials and the link was created on the TDA servers; you only have to wait until the next build update (usually the weekend, sometimes sooner).

If all else fails; and the script is only available with a share link that you cannot access; you can make a post in that script thread and ask the OP to cut and paste his script into the thread so you can copy it.

Hope this helps.
Nothing is working so far; how do I find the OP?

RM

@MerryDay as always, thank you for watching over this community and sharing your expertise.
I couldn't help to notice your charts screen has few indicators I am not familiar with.
Perhaps, these are modified or work-in-progress?
I hope you can find time in your busy schedule for another blog, sharing your workspace.
Thank you.
zAQjfN7.png

The VIP indicators that you see on most of my charts:
1. for finding TREND:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/automated-trend-line-drawing.18181/

2. and 3. for finding High Value stocks and their entry zones:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/smoothed-rsr-rsi-combo.18124/

4. These two forum indicators were simplified and overlaid on each other:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/polynomial-regression-slope-qtl-for-thinkorswim.15137/
overlaid on:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/put-to-call-ratio-correlation-for-thinkorswim.15726/
Provides a feel for the range of the price of the stock and where generally within the cycle the stock lays. Gives a heads-up to rate of change of momentum, and where price is in relation to support and resistance.

5. I am always trying out different volume.
The volume on my current grid:
I smoothed with the new smoother.
And then applied some rsi coloring similar to the Waddah
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/waddah-attar-explosion-indicator-for-thinkorswim.83/
Not sure that it is adding any value yet. Still testing...

a. Candles Painted -- newest version of the tape reader being tested

There are no moving average indicators on VIP, given that, moving averages are often misused and misunderstood by new traders. But they do provide valuable information as to trend. So there are two moving average indicators coming to VIP.
The hope is that the write-up that accompanies them will provide members with best practices for success.
b. There will be an Adaptive MA similar to:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/adaptive-gaussian-moving-average-for-thinkorswim.15608/
but with Wyckoff Phases to highlight the trend.
c. And a recursive moving average. Smoothed, dynamic, less lag:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/painting-candles-with-trend.18382/
Trending setups are going to be a major focus of VIP for 2024.

The market drivers on my setup are discussed here:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/complimentary-tools-to-the-thinkorswim-app.17705/#:~:text=4#post-139220-,News,-drives the stock

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I just received a message from TDameritrade that my account would transition to Schwab late April 2024. I went on TOS support chat and the tech said to add as many indicators to a chart as possible and then share the chart.
OK, so assuming I do that, do I save the shared link to a document on my computer? Will Schwab-TOS be able to import that link, or will the link be broken after TDameritrade is closed?

Also, I purchase a number of indicators years ago that I still use, and being proprietary, their code is locked. So I can't even copy and past the code to save it.

This is all assuming that my indicators will even work in the "new" TOS. This is all very alarming, as I use these indicators for my trading, and I feel very comfortable with them.

Any ideas or info or suggestions? I'm getting really nervous. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I just received a message from TDameritrade that my account would transition to Schwab late April 2024. I went on TOS support chat and the tech said to add as many indicators to a chart as possible and then share the chart.
OK, so assuming I do that, do I save the shared link to a document on my computer? Will Schwab-TOS be able to import that link, or will the link be broken after TDameritrade is closed?

Also, I purchase a number of indicators years ago that I still use, and being proprietary, their code is locked. So I can't even copy and past the code to save it.

This is all assuming that my indicators will even work in the "new" TOS. This is all very alarming, as I use these indicators for my trading, and I feel very comfortable with them.

Any ideas or info or suggestions? I'm getting really nervous. Thanks in advance.
No need to be nervous. The Schwab ToS version is a mirror-image of the TDA version.

1 million ToS users have been successfully transitioned to the Schwab version so far.
None of the one million permanently lost access to their custom studies.

But yes, it is always recommended, that anything that is treasured, be backed-up.
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/how-to-backup-user-created-tos-chart-studies-strategies.14979/

PS: No, not true. The ToS platform does not provide vendors the ability to "lock" custom proprietary studies.
Yes, all custom studies, proprietary or otherwise, can be cut and pasted.​
The only "locked" scripts are built-in proprietary ToS studies.​

Start reading here to understand the temporary issues with shared links and to understand the migration process:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...ghts-rumors-sightings.9326/page-8#post-137211

Last edited:
Schwab moved 1 million ToS users over the past year.
Schwab is going to be moving 1.5 million ToS users over one weekend (May 10th).
Is there a chance that we won't be up and running on May 13th? No.
Is there a chance that isolated users will have isolated problems? Yes.
But but but, Schwab learned from every previous migration that they did.
They were proactive and speedy at fixing the problems that cropped up.
The process became smoother on every subsequent migration.
There is no reason to believe that they won't be on top of any issues that occur.
uwMagtj.png

Read more about the migration process:
https://welcome.schwab.com/

not 1 of my +2000 td tos studies were on the schwab tos login.
i had all of them backed up to text files, so just an inconvience, to reload as needed.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
162 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back