Schwab-TDA Merger: Thoughts, Rumors, Sightings...

zeek

2019 Donor
No there is no exterior or interior method to automatically hit the scan button every "X" number of seconds or minutes.
Schwab has stated that they are committed to providing robust resources to the integrated platform when it launches in 2023 so this resource-related issue should lessen or disappear in the long-term.
Have Schwab said anything in regards to this new integrated platform and whether they will keep the TOS platform as a part of it?

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Have Schwab said anything in regards to this new integrated platform and whether they will keep the TOS platform as a part of it?
Schwab plans to "integrate" ThinkOrSwim, TD Ameritrade's popular online trading platform long used by traders, into its own tools for both retail and independent advisors. The plan was confirmed to Investor's Business Daily by Schwab spokeswoman Alison Wertheim.

"For users of Schwab's StreetSmart Edge platforms, there is no change," Metzger said. "As we look ahead, we intend to thoughtfully combine the great capabilities, tools and service at both firms to provide a unified, world-class trading experience for clients."

The statement implies Thinkorswim will be baked into Schwab's StreetSmart Edge platforms. Which is good for us, given that ToS is single-threaded. Life should be downright zippy come 2023.

The statement implies Thinkorswim will be baked into Schwab's StreetSmart Edge platforms. Which is good for us, given that ToS is single-threaded. Life should be downright zippy come 2023.
That is excellent news indeed!

@spartan.ts Yes, Schwab has committed to keeping ToS running "for now".

It has been confirmed that the 2023 integrated platform will run on the Street Smart base. Thinkscript will become part of that platform as Street Smart does not have a scripting language.

Given that they are only in the spitballing stage, no one can predict what shape the final integrated platform will have. We won't be getting any significant details until the 2nd half of 2022.

But Street Smart is multi-threaded, don't think that will change (y)(y)

@sneakypete Most of us have little experience w/ Street Smart, could you provide a more in-depth commentary on your experience from a technical standpoint???
I like schwab, platform is simple, but lacks on various important areas.
Drawings are not sync'd across timeframes nor charts. this was my big reason for changing to tda.
Saving chart designs and drawings was an issue and unreliable. Even saving to server wouldn't load.
No custom scripts, no patterns or strategies. only basic indicators
Currently no working mobile app for SME.
I'd say it was made with a focus for investors / swing traders with single timeframe analysis in mind.
There customer service is like no other - responsive and multiple teams available to help.

TDA is certainly ahead and cannot see how they would combine it, rather to just rename TOS to streetsmart.

Last edited:
in response to LMGTFY 🥳
SSEdge has sorry charting and indicators have to continually re-do, have to continually re establish columns on option trading indicators. Un-reliable probabilities charting/diagrams. no ttmsqueeze scripting and was too cheap to initiate paper trading for newbies even after numerous request. If I have to leave TOS I'll probably move to Etrade

Is anyone else feeling worried about Think or swim now being under Charles Schwab?

TD Ameritrade got purchased by Charles Schwab and now the entire platform will be under Schwab, Hopefully, everything stays the same in some regard.

It had been announced that Schwab is moving TDA accounts over to Schwab in 4 batches.
They moved the 1st group of TDA clients (who were not users of ToS or API or any other self--directed services) over President's Weekend.

They are moving the next batch of clients over Memorial Day weekend.
If you are being moved, you received notification and were given an opportunity to customize your setup on Schwab.

This next group being migrated does include ToS users.
Those of us that use the ToS platform received this message:

You're receiving this message because you're moving to Schwab soon—and you recently logged in to or traded on thinkorswim. We wanted to let you know that thinkorswim desktop, web, and mobile will not be available at Schwab until later in 2023. But in the meantime, there are trading platforms at Schwab you can use.

Here are some key things to know
Once your move to Schwab is complete, you'll be able to access your account and trade on Schwab.com and the Schwab Mobile app. To help you get familiar with this intuitive online trading experience, check out these handy how-to guides.
You've been automatically enrolled for early access to thinkorswim so that you'll be one of the first clients to enjoy the platform suite at Schwab. We will notify you when thinkorswim is available for use at Schwab.
Our goal is to make your move to Schwab as seamless and simple as possible. And even though you won't have immediate access to thinkorswim at Schwab, you'll have access to Schwab.com and the Schwab Mobile app so that you can take on the market with confidence.
If you have any specific questions about thinkorswim, feel free to call us at 800-454-9272, and we'll be happy to help.

We don't know when our Schwab accounts will have access to ToS.
Schwab is only committing to "later 2023".
This has minimal effect for me, personally. I have multiple accounts with TDA; of which only one of them is being migrated to Schwab in the next batch.

But those that get notification of being moved in the Memorial Day Batch or the 4th of July Batch should be aware that you will lose access to the ToS platform. You need to make other arrangements.

Last edited:
It had been announced that Schwab is moving TDA accounts over to Schwab in 4 batches.
They moved the 1st group of TDA clients (who were not users of ToS or API or any other client-directed services) over President's Weekend.

They are moving the next batch of clients over Memorial Day weekend.
If you are being moved, you received notification and were given an opportunity to customize your setup on Schwab.

This next group being migrated does include ToS users.
Those of us that use the ToS platform received this message:

We don't know when our Schwab accounts will have access to ToS.
Schwab is only committing to "later 2023".
This has minimal effect for me, personally. I have multiple accounts with TDA; of which only one of them is being migrated to Schwab in the next batch.

But those that get notification of being moved in the Memorial Day Batch or the 4th of July Batch should be aware that you will lose access to the ToS platform. You need to make other arrangements.
so I have finally gotten my TOS account set up to be exactly how I like it, and they gonna take that away for a bit. NICE!!! Hopefully the Schwab tools will suffice for a bit. I am finally getting to understand and modify/write in thinkscript and get to rest those skills until they decide to add TOS back. As a former Scottrade account, it ****ed when TDA bought Scottrade and Scottrade Elite was removed. But that integration went seamless. This integration, I just don't get that same vibe from. Hopefully it goes well.

so I have finally gotten my TOS account set up to be exactly how I like it, and they gonna take that away for a bit. NICE!!! Hopefully the Schwab tools will suffice for a bit. I am finally getting to understand and modify/write in thinkscript and get to rest those skills until they decide to add TOS back. As a former Scottrade account, it ****ed when TDA bought Scottrade and Scottrade Elite was removed. But that integration went seamless. This integration, I just don't get that same vibe from. Hopefully it goes well.

I chatted with a TOS support guy regarding the loss of TOS. Despite what the email says, he tells me that we will not loose use of TOS. Says he is working with a director at Schwab and we will not loose TOS. I hope he is right.

@71Warhawk, On first glance, ToS support seems to be giving out totally opposite answers:

But they are actually saying the same thing.
Your support person is correct, "we are not losing ToS". Everyone that is moved to Schwab will regain access to ToS eventually.

The letter that we received is also correct:
ToS is not going to be immediately available to us after we are switched over to Schwab.
All Schwabbies will eventually have access to ToS "later in 2023".

Last edited:
@71Warhawk, On first glance, ToS support seems to be giving out totally opposite answers:

But they are actually saying the same thing.
Your support person is correct, "we are not losing ToS". Everyone that is moved to Schwab will regain access to ToS eventually.

The letter that we received is also correct:
ToS is not going to be immediately available to us after we are switched over to Schwab.
All Schwabbies will eventually have access to ToS "later in 2023".
Just hung up with TDA tech support. No loss or access according to them. "Seamless transition" so I've been told. What I found interesting is the following:

1. Futures accounts will be the last batch or so to migrate

2. Emails will be distributed to those affected within 3 months of transfer followed by another e-mail within a month of the transfer

3. At first notification, (3 month email), would be a good time to set up website credentials, user name and pw

I imagine all this info SHOULD be in the initial email prior to actual account movements. All the above is what was said by TDA phone tech support, not by me!

Everything, no matter what one reads or hears, is TBD!

Best of luck to us all for a true seamless transition and continued TOS access.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
343 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back