MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Lifetime
Last edited:
Solution
I do have a list of all of the stock symbols and sec code. I can put this in table column but how will it call the float information?
ToS does not have float data and float data cannot be imported. You can import the symbols not the data.
You 'could' try creating a very long if statement
if DE then whatever_float else
if CAR then whatever_float else... etc... etc...

Most members use outside websites or maintain spreadsheets.
@GeneHo Not that I know of. There is this indicator though. See if its similar to anything you're looking for.

Rich (BB code):
# Float As Cumulative Volume Pivots
# Mobius
# Chat Room Request 10.04.2015
# V.02
# Added a condition to start cumulative count at the first peak or trough on a chart.

input FloatFor = "SPY"; #hint FloatFor: ETF's do not have a float. Total shares outstanding are adjusted to control NAV (Net Asset Value). Check them often for available shares.
input Float = 877632000; #hint Float: Share Float or for ETF's available shares
input n = 21; #hint n: length used for average volume.

AddLabel(GetSymbol() == FloatFor, "Float Value For: " + FloatFor, color.white);
def h = high;
def l = low;
def c = close;
def V = volume;
def AvgFloatP = Float / Average(V, n);
def HighestHigh = HighestAll(h);
def HighBar = if H == HighestHigh
              then BarNumber()
              else HighBar[1];
def LowestLow = LowestAll(l);
def LowBar = if L == LowestLow
             then BarNumber()
             else LowBar[1];
def FirstBar = if HighBar < LowBar
               then HighBar
               else LowBar;
def CumVolume = if barNumber() > FirstBar
                then CompoundValue(1, if CumVolume[1] < Float
                                 then CumVolume[1] + v
                                 else if CumVolume[1] crosses Float
                                      then 0
                                      else CumVolume[1], v)
                else 0;
plot CVpoint = if GetSymbol() == FloatFor and
                  CumVolume crosses above Float
               then c
               else double.nan;
CVpoint.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Points);
CVpoint.SetLineWeight(4);
CVpoint.SetDefaultColor(Color.Yellow);
plot CVline = if GetSymbol() == FloatFor and
              then c
              else double.nan;
CVline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Line);
CVline.EnableApproximation();
CVLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.Yellow);

addLabel(GetSymbol() == FloatFor, "Float = " + Float + "  Float/Avg Bars = " + Round(AvgFloatP, 0) + "  Cumulative Volume = " + CumVolume, color.white);

Last edited:
I am wondering if it would be possible to create a label that shows the outstanding shares or float of any stock (not sure which one it is) on the chart. This data can be seen in any watchlist by adding the "shares" column but to me, it would be much better and more clear if this number was displayed as a label directly on the chart.
Can this be done?

(See pic below)

watchlist.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Note: The way TOS comes up with Float is different from the actual value you will find for an equity's float on Yahoo Finance / IBD or financial statements. Have no idea why but several years ago I asked TOS for this specific data point as I was working on a Float Analysis indicator. TOS could offer zero assistance. Good luck and let us know if you have better luck !

One never knows what changes may come. Or when. However, as of now, it can be written in Sharpie: Even though Shares Outstanding or Float may be available on a watchlist, they are absolutely, 100%, not available to place on a chart in ANY way or Manner... I'm told that it's not even on their radar.
A TOS programmer told me that there was no way they could do it.
It has something to do with the guts of the "operating system".

@markos "Unable" and "Unwilling" are two very different statements. Part of the issue is the hard data points many users desire are actually for sale from various sources like NASDAQ? Dow Jones? BUT TOS / TDA does not buy all of the data sets that are for sale... actual float is an example... as is percentage "X" index member stocks trading above 200 day MOVAVG, etc. (StockCharts.com has this value)... some of the volatility data isn't purchased such as the data the Najarians use in their UOA scan / screen which is for sale from the Merc in Chicago. One can "make" a dumb box compute anything; IF you have the data points available to calc from else you're screwed. Loop

Even though Shares Outstanding or Float may be available on a watchlist, they are absolutely, 100%, not available to place on a chart in ANY way or Manner...

Hi

Does anyone have created a scan script for ‘FLOAT SHORT ‘ and ‘FLOAT RATIO’

I would like to find list of stocks with 20% Float Short and 20 days to recover or FLOAT RATIO

please help with options

Thx
Suresh

I am wondering if anyone here could help code a float rotation indicator that basically shows on the chart when the float have rotated. I am aware of the fact that TOS does not have float data available so my idea is that the user inputs this number himself from whatever source they want. All i need is that the script has a float number input field in the settings and then preferrably draws vertical dotted lines over the chart at the rotation points.

There is currently a paid script avaliable doing exactly this from another coder i found on Twitter so my hope is that someone here could help code something similar for the users here.

This tool is very useful when trading low float names to see potential shifts in supply/demand during the day.

To give you a better idea of what i am looking for, see the pic below which i borrowed from another trader/thinkscript coder on Twitter. Basically, i want to see when the float has rotated and i want this to be displayed just like in the pic, small dotted vertical lines shown only in the volume graph and if possible, a label for the float number just like in the pic.

And of course, an input field in the settings where the user can import their float number themself.

8cwEtP4.png

Hi Zeek, could you tell me is this is possible. Trying to minimize the shares to Millions. Thanks in advance.

Code:
plot x = (Shares);
AddLabel (yes, + Round(x * .000001, 1) + "M", Color.yellow);

Take note that float is not available within ThinkScript
When you load the above study the editor barfs on that as "shares" is not a defined variable within TOS.
Hence what you're suggesting is not possible

@zeek I am looking into this as well... I know that he is referencing "Shares" for his Float and then dividing the Volume with Shares (V/S) to get the Float Rotation. But don't know how can we refer "Shares" in the script...

Code:
# Float As Cumulative Volume Pivots
# Mobius
# Chat Room Request 10.04.2015
# V.02
# Added a condition to start cumulative count at the first peak or trough on a chart.

input FloatFor = "SPY"; #hint FloatFor: ETF's do not have a float. Total shares outstanding are adjusted to control NAV (Net Asset Value). Check them often for available shares.
input Float = 877632000; #hint Float: Share Float or for ETF's available shares
input n = 21; #hint n: length used for average volume.

AddLabel(GetSymbol() == FloatFor, "Float Value For: " + FloatFor, color.white);
def h = high;
def l = low;
def c = close;
def V = volume;
def AvgFloatP = Float / Average(V, n);
def HighestHigh = HighestAll(h);
def HighBar = if H == HighestHigh
              then BarNumber()
              else HighBar[1];
def LowestLow = LowestAll(l);
def LowBar = if L == LowestLow
             then BarNumber()
             else LowBar[1];
def FirstBar = if HighBar < LowBar
               then HighBar
               else LowBar;
def CumVolume = if barNumber() > FirstBar
                then CompoundValue(1, if CumVolume[1] < Float
                                 then CumVolume[1] + v
                                 else if CumVolume[1] crosses Float
                                      then 0
                                      else CumVolume[1], v)
                else 0;
plot CVpoint = if GetSymbol() == FloatFor and
               then c
               else double.nan;
CVpoint.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Points);
CVpoint.SetLineWeight(4);
CVpoint.SetDefaultColor(Color.Yellow);
plot CVline = if GetSymbol() == FloatFor and
              then c
              else double.nan;
CVline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.Line);
CVline.EnableApproximation();
CVLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.Yellow);

addLabel(GetSymbol() == FloatFor, "Float = " + Float + "  Float/Avg Bars = " + Round(AvgFloatP, 0) + "  Cumulative Volume = " + CumVolume, color.white);

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.