8Nick8

2019 Donor
VIP
Pullback to Moving Average Indicator For ThinkOrSwim
This code created by Pete Hahn.

It plots the Up Arrow when these two conditions are met:
  • Price pulls back to 20MA
  • CCI is below 100.
What I did was to apply this indicator and scan together with an uptrending watchlist and the results are satisfactory.
You may change the Moving Average by changing the value of ma1.

Code:
#  Pullback to Moving Average Indicator For ThinkOrSwim  by Pete Hahn.

input length = 14;
def price = close + low + high;
def linDev = lindev(price, length);
def CCI = if linDev == 0 then 0 else (price - Average(price, length)) / linDev / 0.015;
def ma1 = Average(close, 20);
def priceAboveMa1 = close > ma1;
def atLeastFiveBarsAboveMa1 = Lowest(priceAboveMa1, 5) > 0;
def firstTouchInFiveBars = atLeastFiveBarsAboveMa1[1] and close < ma1;

plot signal = if firstTouchInFiveBars and CCI < 100 then low else Double.NaN;
       signal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
       signal.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);

Hope this is useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenTen's Watchlist + Setup + Trade Recaps

Get access to Ben's watchlist, swing trading strategy, ThinkorSwim setup, and trade examples.

Learn more

xNKg24Q.jpg

Hi @markos, i have screenshot two pictures to highlight how the buy arrow will appear. What i did was to use the codes and created a scan query on Daily timeframe. The objective of this scan is to scan for stocks that have met these two conditions, Price touch or close below the 20D MA with the CCI <100 (Oversold) If these two condition is met, an Up Arrow will appear.

Similarly, the CCI can serve to determine when is the Entry Pt, ie BUY is triggered when CCI cuts above the -100 line.

Currently, I am getting some inconsistent scan results as shown in the pics, where, there few arrows are plotted even when the CCI value is not <100.

It will beIf anyone can help to tweak the code, so that we can get the arrows plotted ONLY when the two conditions are present. It will be great

Hope I have answer your query.

Thanks

Attachments

• xNKg24Q.jpg
    xNKg24Q.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 150
How does the code look in the editor? No errors? The order of operations may be off, just a guess.
Should there be another set of Parenthesis around the CCI line?
Check order of operations in the thinkscript manual, I could be wrong. I don't have ToS available now.
Anyone else?

Last edited:
How does the code look in the editor? No errors? The order of operations may be off, just a guess.
Should there be another set of Parenthesis around the CCI line?
Check order of operations in the thinkscript manual, I could be wrong. I don't have ToS available now.
Anyone else?

Code:
input tenkan_period = 9;
input kijun_period = 26;
plot Tenkan = (Highest(high, tenkan_period) + Lowest(low, tenkan_period)) / 2;
plot Kijun = (Highest(high, kijun_period) + Lowest(low, kijun_period)) / 2;
plot "Span A" = (Tenkan[kijun_period] + Kijun[kijun_period]) / 2;
plot "Span B" = (Highest(high[kijun_period], 2 * kijun_period) + Lowest(low[kijun_period], 2 * kijun_period)) / 2;
plot Chikou = close[-kijun_period];
Tenkan.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(1));
Kijun.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(2));
"Span A".SetDefaultColor(GetColor(3));
"Span B".SetDefaultColor(GetColor(4));
Chikou.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(5));
DefineGlobalColor("Bullish", Color.YELLOW);
DefineGlobalColor("Bearish", Color.RED);
AddCloud("Span A", "Span B", globalColor("Bullish"), globalColor("Bearish"));
input length = 14;
def CCI = if linDev == 0 then 0 else (price - Average(price, length)) / linDev / 0.015;
def ma1 = Average(close, 10);
def priceAboveCloud = close > "Span A" and close > "Span B";

@markos this is how the original code was written, I realized that I don't really need the ichimoku cloud as another condition to be screened and removed it to just plot up arrow when the price pullbacks to 20MA and CCI is <100.

Code:
input length = 14;

Hope we can tweak the code to achieve the desired results.. thanks

@Nick Try to leave everything in the code, it will not take up memory or be recognized if you just comment out the lines you don't want. So, just put a # in front of each line you want out and it will be ignored. That way you will see if any of the code you want is somehow dependent on the code you don't want. Otherwise, try to change the ICHI stuff to (Color.Current) and hopefully that will make the color transparent. (I hope, it's just a guess) Next, go through the Universe and the ToS manuals. Another "thunk", CCI is a built in study, try to just reference that vs the linDev lines as they might point to the ICHIstuff...

@Nick Try to leave everything in the code, it will not take up memory or be recognized if you just comment out the lines you don't want.
So, just put a # in front of each line you want out and it will be ignored.
That way you will see if any of the code you want is somehow dependent on the code you don't want.
Otherwise, try to change the ICHI stuff to (Color.Current) and hopefully that will make the color transparent. (I hope, it's just a guess)
Next, go through the Universe and the ToS manuals.
Another "thunk", CCI is a built in study, try to just reference that vs the linDev lines as they might point to the ICHIstuff...
@markos thank you

Hi, i manage to find this code created by Pete Hahn. It plots the UpArrow these two conditions are met, Price pulls back to 20MA and CCI is below 100. What i did was to apply this indicator and scan together with a uptrending watchlist and the results are satisfactory. You may change the Moving Average by changing the value of ma1.

Code:
input length = 14;

Hope this is useful.

Thanks
How can I get this script with only the moving average pullback and not the CCI. I'm trying to remove the CCI part. Please let me know. Thanks

How can I get this script with only the moving average pullback and not the CCI. I'm trying to remove the CCI part. Please let me know. Thanks
Find and Change This:
Rich (BB code):
To This:
Rich (BB code):
plot signal = if firstTouchInFiveBars then low else Double.NaN;

Pullback to Moving Average Indicator For ThinkOrSwim
This code created by Pete Hahn.

It plots the Up Arrow when these two conditions are met:
  • Price pulls back to 20MA
  • CCI is below 100.
What I did was to apply this indicator and scan together with an uptrending watchlist and the results are satisfactory.
You may change the Moving Average by changing the value of ma1.

Code:
#  Pullback to Moving Average Indicator For ThinkOrSwim  by Pete Hahn.

input length = 14;

Hope this is useful.
Is it possible to get the reverse added to this with a red arrow on top of the bar when price crosses from down to above the 20MA?

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator