Options Scan Hacker in ThinkorSwim

YungTraderFromMontana

Does anybody have the code for an options scanner that can implement P/C ratio or sizzle? I wanted to use a scan like this to confirm options plays that I was thinking of doing. This could save a lot of time from going into options statistics if I'm looking through a lot of stocks. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The ToS Options Hacker Module doesn't allow the using of custom studies to scan against options related data. The Options Scanner cannot be customized, it utilizes pre-defined filters.

E3DVssl.png

Here is an example of the 'native filters' available in the Options Hacker Scanner which are limited to the use of minimum / maximum
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/stock-price-trades-higher-than-the-option-chain.10865/#post-95715
Vizphwr.png

@cooldyood @huab @joetimismith @huab
@Ogaili @varsity125lb @us3r001 @Shooters_Gotta_Shoot @Infb11
@cloudspotter @jackroot @grapetux
@Optionsguy @vivekshahi @BobCrandall...
Maybe not the most efficient way but I create a watch list with one stock, SPY for instance, and use the options scan hacker with the parameters I want and choose SPY watch list to scan. I then save the option scan as a watch list and load it on my main screen. I customize the saved options watchlist and add volume, delta and open interest columns. I also remove bid ask columns to keep the number of columns to option ticker, price, delta, open interest and volume. I only trade a couple of tickers, mainly SPY, so easy to switch watch lists or run two watch lists on the side panel. Use some minimum open interest value to keep the option scan results manageable. Hope this helps.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Thank you , But can it scan just one stock that i specify ?
Sure.
Keep in mind, that you can only scan for
  • the only the pre-defined fields available in the scan hacker.
  • and only for the min / max values for that are available.
As already explained here:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/stock-price-trades-higher-than-the-option-chain.10865/#post-95715

If you are asking "how" to specify the one stock for scanning.
1. Put the stock in your manual watchlist.
2. Put the name of your manual watchlist, in the "scan in" field of the option hacker.
https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/howToTos/thinkManual/Scan/Stock-Hacker#:~:text=Listed Stocks),-,a preset scan list,,-or a GICS

Last edited:
Does anyone have a code that scans for individual options (not the underlyings) where IV for that option is greater than a certain value (e.g. > 67%) and while delta is in a certain range (e.g. (>.25 AND < .50) OR (<-.50 AND >-.25))?

I appreciate that I will not get an exact strike, but returning stocks that meet this crieteria is a great start, as that will filtger out unwanted tickers.

Thank you

Last edited:
Is it possible to filter an option scan based on a strikes that are +/- a certain amount from the underlying MARK price?

Here's the final objective: Have a dynamic watchlist that always shows call options (and another for puts) for a single underlying (SPX), with 1 DTE, and with a strike within +/-$15 of the current SPX LAST price (I typed that wrong in the title). This would provide a dynamic watchlist of 7 options that are within 3 strikes up and down of the underlying's current price as it moves up/down throughout the day.

Here are my current scan settings for the scan in Option Hacker:
  • Scan in: All Optionable
  • Intersect with: SPX scan (a watchlist with only the SPX symbol)
  • Exclude: <none>
  • Option...Option type: Call
  • Option...Days to exp - min: 1, max: 2
  • Option...Strike: (I can only enter fixed min and max)
Here's a shared scan link: http://tos.mx/zQi7jit

So...is it possible to filter options based on the dynamic underlying strike price (not using min/max with hard-coded strikes?

If not, is there another way of creating the watchlists I'm looking for?

Hopefully, this makes sense. If clarification is needed, please let me know.

Last edited:
Hello,

I had scans last year that included the ability to scan for individual option symbols where the option volume was grater than open interest. Then Schwab took over and then there was an update for TOS. They stopped working. I called the HELP desk and they denied that ability to do a custom scan in either Stocks & Options or just Options was ever available. A clear lie. HAs anyone have more information about this, had similar experiences etc.
Please provide input on this. Thank you

Hello Guys,

I'm looking for ways to find the optimal Greeks when choosing a contract when swing trading. So far I understand the following:

1- "Spread" - Percentage between Bid and Ask. If below 4%.
2- "Delta" - Between .25 and .45 (mid .30).
3- Open Interest as high as possible.

Note: This is for directional "Single" contract Calls or Puts.

Thank you!

Solution