Advance/Decline Line Indicator for ThinkorSwim

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

TOS AdvanceDecline indicator sets color as follows:
Code:
AD.DefineColor("Up", Color.UPTICK);
AD.DefineColor("Down", Color.DOWNTICK);
AD.AssignValueColor(if advnDecl > advnDecl[1] then AD.color("Up") else AD.color("Down"));
LevelLine.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(7));

AddLabel(type == type."Advance/Decline Ratio", (if advances > declines then round(advances / declines, 2) else round(-declines / advances, 2)) + ":1 Ratio");

How does the label get assigned a color? I tried changing Color.UPTICK to Color.LIGHT_GREEN but that only affects the AD line, not the label. I'd like to change the label colors from the default RED and GREEN.

Full code of the indicator below:
Code:
#
# TD Ameritrade IP Company, Inc. (c) 2010-2019
#

declare lower;

input type = {default "Advance/Decline Line", "Advance/Decline Line (Breadth)", "Advance/Decline Line (Daily)", "Advance/Decline Ratio", "Advance/Decline Spread (Issues)", "Absolute Breadth Index"};
input exchange = {default NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX};

def advances;
def declines;
switch (exchange) {
case NYSE:
    advances = close("$ADVN");
    declines = close("$DECN");
case NASDAQ:
    advances = close("$ADVN/Q");
    declines = close("$DECN/Q");
case AMEX:
    advances = close("$ADVA");
    declines = close("$DECA");
}
def advnDecl;
def level;
switch (type){
case "Advance/Decline Line":
    advnDecl = advnDecl[1] + if !IsNaN(advances - declines) then advances - declines else 0;
    level = 0;
case "Advance/Decline Line (Breadth)":
    advnDecl = advances / (advances + declines);
    level = 0.5;
case "Advance/Decline Line (Daily)":
    advnDecl = (advances - declines) / (advances + declines);
    level = 0;
case "Advance/Decline Ratio":
    advnDecl = advances / declines;
    level = 1;
case "Advance/Decline Spread (Issues)":
    advnDecl = advances - declines;
    level = 0;
case "Absolute Breadth Index":
    advnDecl = AbsValue(advances - declines);
    level = 0;
}

plot AD = if !IsNaN(close) then advnDecl else Double.NaN;
plot LevelLine = level;

AD.AssignValueColor(if advnDecl > advnDecl[1] then AD.color("Up") else AD.color("Down"));
LevelLine.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(7));

AddLabel(type == type."Advance/Decline Ratio", (if advances > declines then round(advances / declines, 2) else round(-declines / advances, 2)) + ":1 Ratio");

Last edited:
@dj45 You'll need to define the choice of colors within your AddLabel statement. Assuming you use your definitions of

Code:

First make sure you select the input selector Advance/Decline Ratio as defined in your AddLabel statement.
Then replace your AddLabel statement with the following line.
Since the market is closed now you won't see the labels update so run this during RTH next week

Code:
AddLabel(type == type."Advance/Decline Ratio", (if advances > declines then round(advances / declines, 2) else round(-declines / advances, 2)) + ":1 Ratio", if advances > declines then AD.Color("Up") else AD.Color("Down"));

AddLabel(type == type."Advance/Decline Ratio", (if advances > declines then round(advances / declines, 2) else round(-declines / advances, 2)) + ":1 Ratio", if advances > declines then AD.Color("Up") else AD.Color("Down"));
I see, so you can run if statements sequentially. Works great (was able to see the change since I still had TOS open from today's RTH session), thanks. (y)

@tomsk To continue our conversation from the previous blackdog thread, it's the first post in this thread indicator code #1 of 3.
I was looking at the /CL chart 5mins, the high is 231, low is 41 close 132 Avg -73. What does it mean? The rate of change?

@Playstation Gotcha, you are referring to Mobius AD Label study. This study measures $ADSPD which is the S&P 500 Advancing Issues - Declining Issues Difference. Essentially it takes the difference between the S&P 500 advancers and the S&P decliners. From today's session since RTH we have a high reading of 231, low reading of 31, current reading of 132.

Bear in mind that the market oscillates between positive readings and negative readings for the day. All avg does is to take an average of the total accumulated AD for the day divided by the count. If you look within the code, here's the formula that displays Avg. If there is any doubt, always look within the study for clues

Code:
def Avg = Round(sumAD / sumx, 0);

Its easy to get advance decline market internals in TOS, however if you want them to be normalized and show on single chart there is some work to be done. This indicator is SNP, Nasdaq, Russel and DJIA percentage normalized (advance decline thrust) . With optional daily start indicator (good for intraday)

Link: https://tos.mx/skf776G

FyCD5n7.jpg

A newer version, Couple of improvements: color changes based on trend and signal line: https://tos.mx/i9WRyEL

Attachments

• FyCD5n7.jpg
    FyCD5n7.jpg
    860.8 KB · Views: 136
Its easy to get advance decline market internals in TOS, however if you want them to be normalized and show on single chart there is some work to be done. This indicator is SNP, Nasdaq, Russel and DJIA percentage normalized (advance decline thrust) . With optional daily start indicator (good for intraday)

Link: https://tos.mx/skf776G

FyCD5n7.jpg

A newer version, Couple of improvements: color changes based on trend and signal line: https://tos.mx/i9WRyEL
That https://tos.mx/i9WRyEL is not opening for me Could you help?

To Open A Shared Link
  1. Hover your mouse over the link
  2. Right-click, chose copy link address
  3. In TOS, click on gear icon at top of page
  4. Click on Open Shared Item
  5. Ctrl-V to paste link address
  6. Click on Preview
  7. Name the study, whatever you want
  8. Click Import
@Zlotko These are the steps I followed and it opened for me. Please post a screenshot of where the process is failing for you.

To Open A Shared Link
  1. Hover your mouse over the link
  2. Right-click, chose copy link address
  3. In TOS, click on gear icon at top of page
  4. Click on Open Shared Item
  5. Ctrl-V to paste link address
  6. Click on Preview
  7. Name the study, whatever you want
  8. Click Import
@Zlotko These are the steps I followed and it opened for me. Please post a screenshot of where the process is failing for you.
Yes I do all that and get An error occurred while importing sheered item

@Zlotko For future reference, it is easier to help you troubleshoot errors, if you provide a screenshot showing the issue.
I downloaded the study successfully using the above method which means you either have a corrupted application (fixed by reinstalling TOS) or a user error in following the above directions.

In the short-term, here is the study that you were attempting to download.
Ruby:
declare lower;

input showbreak=yes;
input avglength=3;
def break =  getweek()<>getweek()[1] ;

AddVerticalLine(showbreak and break, "NewWk", Color.GRAY, 1);

DefineGlobalColor("NYSE", Color.GRAY);
DefineGlobalColor("SNP", Color.GREEN);
DefineGlobalColor("SNPDN", Color.Dark_GREEN);
DefineGlobalColor("NQ", CreateColor(102,204,55));
DefineGlobalColor("NQDN", CreateColor(0,0,155));
DefineGlobalColor("DJI", Color.RED);
DefineGlobalColor("DJIDN", Color.Dark_RED);
DefineGlobalColor("RUT", Color.yellow);
DefineGlobalColor("RUTDN", Color.dark_ORANGE);

script ADPct{
input tickup="$ADVSP";
input tickdn="$DECLSP";
input tickunch="$UNCHSP";
def advances=close(tickup);
def declines=close(tickdn);
def total=close(tickup)+ close(tickdn)+close(tickunch);
def calc =
    if isnan(calc[1]) then 0
    else
        if Total<>0 then advances/(total)*100 else 0;
plot ADPct=calc;
};

plot ob=80; ob.setDefaultColor(color.green);ob.setLineWeight(2);
plot os=20; os.setDefaultColor(color.red);os.setLineWeight(2);

plot adSNP=ADpct();
def avgadsnp=average(adsnp,avglength);
adSNP.assignvaluecolor(if adSNP>avgADSNP then GlobalColor("SNP") else GlobalColor("SNPDN"));

plot adDJI=ADpct("$ADVI","$DECLI","$UNCHI");
def avgADDJI=average(adsnp,avglength);
ADDJI.assignvaluecolor(if adDJI>avgADDJI  then GlobalColor("DJI") else GlobalColor("DJIDN"));

plot ADNQ=ADpct("$ADVN/Q","$DECN/Q","$UNCN/Q");
def avgADNQ=average(adNQ,avglength);
ADNQ.assignvaluecolor(if adNQ>avgADNQ then GlobalColor("NQ") else GlobalColor("NQDN"));

plot ADRUT=ADpct("$ADVRL","$DECLRL","$UNCHRL"); adRUT.setdefaultcolor(GlobalColor("RUT"));
def avgADRUT=average(adRUT,avglength);
ADRUT.assignvaluecolor(if adRUT>avgADRUT then GlobalColor("RUT") else GlobalColor("RUTDN"));

plot signal=50;
signal.setlineweight(2);
signal.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.LINE_VS_POINTS);
signal.assignValueColor
   (if  adNQ>avgADNQ and  adDJI>avgADDJI and  adSNP>avgADSNP then color.green
    else if adNQ<avgADNQ and  adDJI<avgADDJI and  adSNP<avgADSNP then color.red
   else color.gray);

Long-term, if you continue to have issues with opening shared links using the above method, you should contact customer support.
HTH

@Zlotko For future reference, it is easier to help you troubleshoot errors, if you provide a screenshot showing the issue.
I downloaded the study successfully using the above method which means you either have a corrupted application (fixed by reinstalling TOS) or a user error in following the above directions.

In the short-term, here is the study that you were attempting to download.
Ruby:
declare lower;

input showbreak=yes;
input avglength=3;
def break =  getweek()<>getweek()[1] ;

AddVerticalLine(showbreak and break, "NewWk", Color.GRAY, 1);

DefineGlobalColor("NYSE", Color.GRAY);
DefineGlobalColor("SNP", Color.GREEN);
DefineGlobalColor("SNPDN", Color.Dark_GREEN);
DefineGlobalColor("NQ", CreateColor(102,204,55));
DefineGlobalColor("NQDN", CreateColor(0,0,155));
DefineGlobalColor("DJI", Color.RED);
DefineGlobalColor("DJIDN", Color.Dark_RED);
DefineGlobalColor("RUT", Color.yellow);
DefineGlobalColor("RUTDN", Color.dark_ORANGE);

script ADPct{
input tickup="$ADVSP";
input tickdn="$DECLSP";
input tickunch="$UNCHSP";
def advances=close(tickup);
def declines=close(tickdn);
def total=close(tickup)+ close(tickdn)+close(tickunch);
def calc =
    if isnan(calc[1]) then 0
    else
        if Total<>0 then advances/(total)*100 else 0;
plot ADPct=calc;
};

plot ob=80; ob.setDefaultColor(color.green);ob.setLineWeight(2);
plot os=20; os.setDefaultColor(color.red);os.setLineWeight(2);

plot adSNP=ADpct();
def avgadsnp=average(adsnp,avglength);
adSNP.assignvaluecolor(if adSNP>avgADSNP then GlobalColor("SNP") else GlobalColor("SNPDN"));

plot adDJI=ADpct("$ADVI","$DECLI","$UNCHI");
def avgADDJI=average(adsnp,avglength);
ADDJI.assignvaluecolor(if adDJI>avgADDJI  then GlobalColor("DJI") else GlobalColor("DJIDN"));

plot ADNQ=ADpct("$ADVN/Q","$DECN/Q","$UNCN/Q");
def avgADNQ=average(adNQ,avglength);
ADNQ.assignvaluecolor(if adNQ>avgADNQ then GlobalColor("NQ") else GlobalColor("NQDN"));

plot ADRUT=ADpct("$ADVRL","$DECLRL","$UNCHRL"); adRUT.setdefaultcolor(GlobalColor("RUT"));
def avgADRUT=average(adRUT,avglength);
ADRUT.assignvaluecolor(if adRUT>avgADRUT then GlobalColor("RUT") else GlobalColor("RUTDN"));

plot signal=50;
signal.setlineweight(2);
signal.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.LINE_VS_POINTS);
signal.assignValueColor
   (if  adNQ>avgADNQ and  adDJI>avgADDJI and  adSNP>avgADSNP then color.green
    else if adNQ<avgADNQ and  adDJI<avgADDJI and  adSNP<avgADSNP then color.red
   else color.gray);

Long-term, if you continue to have issues with opening shared links using the above method, you should contact customer support.
HTH
Perfect Thank you;)

For TOS, is there a script to percent of SPX or NDX stocks above/below an moving average such as 5 days or 21 days?

I want to have a script which will plot "percent of SP 500 of stocks" over say 5 day SMA. This script will plot as an Oscillator between near Zero and near 100. For example TOS has a symbol (not script for it) " $SPXA50R " which plots percent of SP 500 stocks above 50 day SMA.

If such a script exists, one can use other indicator scripts to see % of SP 500 stocks meeting script criteria.

Thanks

VKB

Last edited by a moderator:
We cannot "count the number of stocks in NYSE, AMEX, NASDAQ, SPY" because what stock is in what index is not information available in ThinkScript. Therefore, the data needed to calculate percentage of stocks in an index is not available.

Last edited: