NQ 1 minute Scalping Indicator For ThinkOrSwim

@JoeDV I've noticed whenever an entry signal appears in the opposing direction of the atrtrailingstop the bar right after it will exit. Is there a way to eliminate those signals that appear in the opposing direction or am I missing something? (Image link)

The gray arrows are stops. So you probably have to either turn off stops or change the stop definition. Or, you could change the definition of the buy/sell signal to only be true if it's in the same direction of the atrstop.

To change the buy/sell to follow the trail position:

Ruby:
def PLBuySignal = if  MarketOpen AND (upsignal) AND (ATRTrailingStop() < close ) then 1 else 0 ; # insert condition to create long position in place of the 0>0
def PLSellSignal =  if MarketOpen AND (downsignal) AND (ATRTrailingStop() > close ) then 1 else 0; # insert condition to create short position in place of the 0>0

@JoeDV That's perfect! Also one last thing, would it be possible to add the atrtrailingstop adjustment inputs to the script for quick access. specifically the atr period and atr factor.

@JoeDV That's perfect! Also one last thing, would it be possible to add the atrtrailingstop adjustment inputs to the script for quick access. specifically the atr period and atr factor.

Try this http://tos.mx/5fyTg6X

or if you prefer to copy/paste

JavaScript:
# Shimi's Scalp Pro Elite Platinum Extreme; Deluxe Edition.
# Based on Quant Trade Edge's Strategy in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhW5czmfc14
# Original Strategy is for NQ 1 minute chart, long only above 10ema and short only below 10ema, risking 1 ATR for .5 ATR target.

# Start EMA
input price = close;
input length = 10;
input displace = 0;

def ema = expAverage(price[-displace], length);
def ema20 = expAverage (price, length=20);
def ema50 = expAverage (price, length=50);

def bull = close > open and low < low[1] and high < high[1] and close > ema and ema > ema20 and ema20 > ema50;
def bear = close < open and low > low[1] and high > high[1] and close < ema and ema < ema20 and ema20 < ema50;

def upsignal = bull;
def downsignal = bear;
#UpSignal.SetDefaultColor(Color.UPTICK);
#UpSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
#DownSignal.SetDefaultColor(Color.DOWNTICK);
#DownSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);

###------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profit and Loss Labels
#
# Fill in the 0>0 in the Create Signals section below to match your buy and sell signal conditions
#
# When using large amounts of hisorical data, P/L may take time to calculate
###------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

input showSignals = yes; #hint showSignals: show buy and sell arrows
input LongTrades = yes; #hint LongTrades: perform long trades
input ShortTrades = yes; #hint ShortTrades: perform short trades
input showLabels  = yes; #hint showLabels: show PL labels at top
input showBubbles = yes; #hint showBubbles: show PL bubbles at close of trade
input useStops = no;     #hint useStops: use stop orders
input useAlerts = no;    #hint useAlerts: use alerts on signals
input tradeDaytimeOnly = no; #hint tradeDaytimeOnly: (IntraDay Only) Only perform trades during hours stated
input OpenTime = 0930; #hint OpenTime: Opening time of market
input CloseTime = 1600; #hint CloseTime: Closing time of market

#----- ATR Trail ----
input trailType = {default modified, unmodified};
input ATRPeriod = 5;
input ATRFactor = 3.5;
input firstTrade = {default long, short};
input averageType = { default WILDERS, SIMPLE, EXPONENTIAL,HULL, WEIGHTED};

def ATRStop = ATRTrailingStop(trailType, ATRPeriod, ATRFactor, firstTrade, averageType);

#---------------------

def Begin = secondsfromTime(OpenTime);
def End = secondsTillTime(closetime);
# Only use market hours when using intraday timeframe
def isIntraDay = if getaggregationperiod() > 14400000 or getaggregationperiod()==0 then 0 else 1;
def MarketOpen = if !tradeDaytimeOnly or !isIntraDay then 1 else if tradeDaytimeOnly and isIntraDay and Begin > 0 and End > 0 then 1 else 0;

######################################################
##  Create Signals -
##  FILL IN THIS SECTION
##      replace 0>0 with your conditions for signals

def PLBuySignal = if  MarketOpen AND (upsignal) AND (ATRStop < close ) then 1 else 0 ; # insert condition to create long position in place of the 0>0
def PLSellSignal =  if MarketOpen AND (downsignal) AND (ATRStop > close ) then 1 else 0; # insert condition to create short position in place of the 0>0

def PLBuyStop  = if !useStops then 0 else if (ATRStop > close ) then 1 else 0  ; # insert condition to stop in place of the 0<0
def PLSellStop = if !useStops then 0 else if (ATRStop < close ) then 1 else 0  ; # insert condition to stop in place of the 0>0

def PLMktStop = if MarketOpen[-1] == 0 then 1 else 0; # If tradeDaytimeOnly is set, then stop at end of day

#######################################
##  Maintain the position of trades

def CurrentPosition;  # holds whether flat = 0 long = 1 short = -1

if (BarNumber()==1) OR isNaN(CurrentPosition[1]) {
    CurrentPosition = 0;
}else{
        if CurrentPosition[1] == 0 {            # FLAT
            if (PLBuySignal AND LongTrades) {
                CurrentPosition = 1;
            } else if (PLSellSignal AND ShortTrades){
                CurrentPosition = -1;
            } else {
                CurrentPosition = CurrentPosition[1];
            }
       } else if CurrentPosition[1] == 1 {      # LONG
            if (PLSellSignal AND ShortTrades){
                CurrentPosition = -1;
            } else if ((PLBuyStop and useStops) or PLMktStop or (PLSellSignal AND ShortTrades==0)){
                CurrentPosition = 0;
            } else {
            }
       } else if CurrentPosition[1] == -1 {     # SHORT
            if (PLBuySignal AND LongTrades){
                CurrentPosition = 1;
            } else if ((PLSellStop and useStops) or PLMktStop or (PlBuySignal and LongTrades==0)){
                CurrentPosition = 0;
            } else {
            }
       } else {
       }
}

def isLong  = if CurrentPosition == 1 then 1 else 0;
def isShort = if CurrentPosition == -1 then 1 else 0;
def isFlat  = if CurrentPosition == 0 then 1 else 0;

# If not already long and get a PLBuySignal
#Plot BuySig = if (!isLong[1] and PLBuySignal and showSignals and LongTrades) then 1 else 0;
Plot BuySig = if (((isShort[1] and LongTrades) or (isFlat[1] and LongTrades)) and PLBuySignal and showSignals) then 1 else 0;
BuySig.AssignValueColor(color.cyan);
BuySig.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
BuySig.SetLineWeight(5);

Alert(BuySig and useAlerts, "Buy Signal",Alert.bar,sound.Ding);

# If not already short and get a PLSellSignal
Plot SellSig = if (((isLong[1] and ShortTrades) or (isFlat[1] and ShortTrades)) and PLSellSignal and showSignals) then 1 else 0;
SellSig.AssignValueColor(color.cyan);
SellSig.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
SellSig.SetLineWeight(5);

Alert(SellSig and useAlerts, "Sell Signal",Alert.bar,sound.Ding);

# If long and get a PLBuyStop
Plot BuyStpSig = if (PLBuyStop and isLong[1] and showSignals and useStops) or (isLong[1] and PLMktStop) or (isLong[1] and PLSellSignal and !ShortTrades) then 1 else 0;
BuyStpSig.AssignValueColor(color.light_gray);
BuyStpSig.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
BuyStpSig.SetLineWeight(3);

Alert(BuyStpSig and useAlerts, "Buy Stop Signal",Alert.bar,sound.Ding);

# If short and get a PLSellStop
Plot SellStpSig = if (PLSellStop and isShort[1] and showSignals and useStops) or (isShort[1] and PLMktStop) or (isShort[1] and PLBuySignal and !LongTrades) then 1 else 0;
SellStpSig.AssignValueColor(color.light_gray);
SellStpSig.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
SellStpSig.SetLineWeight(3);

Alert(SellStpSig and useAlerts, "Sell Stop Signal",Alert.bar,sound.Ding);

##  Orders

def isOrder = if ((isFlat[1] and (BuySig and LongTrades) or (SellSig and ShortTrades)) or (isLong[1] and BuyStpSig or (SellSig and ShortTrades)) or (isShort[1] and SellStpSig or (BuySig and LongTrades))) then 1 else 0 ;
# If there is an order, then the price is the next days close
def orderPrice = if (isOrder and ((BuySig and LongTrades) or (SellSig and ShortTrades))) then close else orderPrice[1];

def orderCount = compoundValue(1,if isNan(isOrder) or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if (BuySig or SellSig) then orderCount[1]+1 else orderCount[1],0);

##  Price and Profit

def profitLoss;

if (!isOrder or orderPRice[1]==0){
    profitLoss = 0;
} else if ((isOrder and isLong[1]) and (SellSig or BuyStpSig)){
    profitLoss = close - orderPrice[1];
} else if ((isOrder and isShort[1]) and (BuySig or SellStpSig)) {
    profitLoss = orderPrice[1] - close;
} else {
    profitLoss = 0;
}

# Total Profit or Loss
def profitLossSum = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(isOrder)  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder then profitLossSum[1] + profitLoss else profitLossSum[1], 0);

# How many trades won or lost
def profitWinners = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(profitWinners[1]) or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and profitLoss > 0 then profitWinners[1] + 1 else profitWinners[1], 0);
def profitLosers = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(profitLosers[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and profitLoss < 0 then profitLosers[1] + 1 else profitLosers[1], 0);
def profitPush = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(profitPush[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and profitLoss == 0 then profitPush[1] + 1 else profitPush[1], 0);

# Current Open Trade Profit or Loss
def TradePL = If isLong then Round(((close - orderprice)/TickSize())*TickValue()) else if isShort then Round(((orderPrice - close)/TickSize())*TickValue()) else 0;

# Convert to actual dollars based on Tick Value for bubbles
def dollarProfitLoss = if orderPRice[1]==0 or isNaN(orderPrice[1]) then 0 else round((profitLoss/Ticksize())*Tickvalue());

# Closed Orders dollar P/L
def dollarPLSum = round((profitLossSum/Ticksize())*Tickvalue());

# Split profits or losses by long and short trades
def profitLong = compoundValue(1, if isNan(profitLong[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and isLong[1] then profitLong[1]+dollarProfitLoss else profitLong[1],0);
def profitShort = compoundValue(1, if isNan(profitShort[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and isShort[1] then profitShort[1]+dollarProfitLoss else profitShort[1],0);
def countLong = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(countLong[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and isLong[1] then countLong[1]+1 else countLong[1],0);
def countShort = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(countShort[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and isShort[1] then countShort[1]+1 else countShort[1],0);

# What was the biggest winning and losing trade
def biggestWin = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(biggestWin[1]) or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and (dollarProfitLoss > 0) and (dollarProfitLoss > biggestWin[1]) then dollarProfitLoss else biggestWin[1], 0);
def biggestLoss = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(biggestLoss[1]) or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and (dollarProfitLoss < 0) and (dollarProfitLoss < biggestLoss[1]) then dollarProfitLoss else biggestLoss[1], 0);

def ClosedTradeCount = if (isLong or isShort) then orderCount-1 else orderCount;
def OpenTrades = if (isLong or isShort) then 1 else 0;

# What percent were winners
def PCTWin = if (OpenTrades and (TradePL < 0)) then round((profitWinners/(ClosedTradeCount+1))*100,2)
else if (OpenTrades and (TradePL > 0)) then round(((profitWinners+1)/(ClosedTradeCount+1))*100,2) else round(((profitWinners)/(ClosedTradeCount))*100,2) ;

# Average trade
def avgTrade = if (OpenTrades and (TradePL < 0)) then round(((dollarPLSum - TradePL)/(ClosedTradeCount+1)),2)
else if (OpenTrades and (TradePL > 0)) then round(((dollarPLSum + TradePL)/(ClosedTradeCount+1)),2) else round(((dollarPLSum)/(ClosedTradeCount)),2) ;

##  Create Labels

AddLabel(showLabels and isIntraDay, if MarketOpen then "Market Open" else "Market Closed", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels, GetSymbol()+" Tick Size: "+TickSize()+" Value: "+TickValue(), color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels and (LongTrades and ShortTrades), "Long+Short Trades", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels and (LongTrades and !ShortTrades),"Long Trades Only", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels and (!LongTrades and ShortTrades),"Short Trades Only", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels and (tradeDaytimeOnly),"Daytime Only", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels, "Closed Orders: " + ClosedTradeCount + " P/L: " + AsDollars(dollarPLSum), if dollarPLSum > 0 then Color.GREEN else if dollarPLSum< 0 then Color.RED else Color.GRAY);
AddLabel(if !IsNan(orderPrice) and showLabels then 1 else 0, "Closed+Open P/L: "+ AsDollars(TradePL+dollarPLSum), if ((TradePL+dollarPLSum) > 0) then color.green else if ((TradePL+dollarPLSum) < 0) then color.red else color.gray);

AddLabel(showLabels, "Avg per Trade: "+ AsDollars(avgTrade), if avgTrade > 0 then Color.Green else if avgTrade < 0 then Color.RED else Color.GRAY);
AddLabel(showLabels, "Winners: "+ PCTWin +"%",if PCTWin > 50 then color.green else if PCTWin > 40 then color.yellow else color.gray);

AddLabel(showLabels, "MaxUp: "+ AsDollars(biggestWin) +" MaxDown: "+AsDollars(biggestLoss), color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels, "Long Profit: " +AsDollars(profitLong), if profitLong > 0 then color.green else if profitLong < 0 then color.red else color.gray);
AddLabel(showLabels, "Short Profit: " +AsDollars(profitShort), if profitShort > 0 then color.green else if profitShort < 0 then color.red else color.gray);
AddLabel(if !IsNan(CurrentPosition) and showLabels and OpenTrades then 1 else 0, "Open: "+ (If isLong then "Bought" else "Sold") + " @ "+orderPrice, color.white);
AddLabel(if !IsNan(orderPrice) and showLabels and OpenTrades then 1 else 0, "Open Trade P/L: "+ AsDollars(TradePL), if (TradePL > 0) then color.green else if (TradePl < 0) then color.red else color.gray);

##  Chart Bubbles for Profit/Loss

AddChartBubble(showSignals and showBubbles and isOrder and isLong[1], low, "$"+dollarProfitLoss, if dollarProfitLoss == 0 then Color.LIGHT_GRAY else if dollarProfitLoss > 0 then Color.GREEN else color.Red, 0);
AddChartBubble(showSignals and showBubbles and isOrder and isShort[1], high,  "$"+dollarProfitLoss, if dollarProfitLoss == 0 then Color.LIGHT_GRAY else if dollarProfitLoss > 0 then Color.GREEN else color.Red, 1);

#AssignPriceColor(if CurrentPosition == 1 then color.green else if CurrentPosition == -1 then color.red else color.gray);

@JoeDV for me its not showing the trailing line? i added 10ema on my own is that right or it should show as part of the script.
We should stop only at grey arrow or follow the guide as per video and stop based on atr?

Last edited:
@Alex Can you please explain what does atr and atr factor does? what value are u using?
For now I'm using the default values but I'll be testing with different ones to find the most profitable and optimal. If you'd like to know what each one does when you import the study on your chart and go to the settings you'll see question mark icons next to them which explain how they function.

@JoeDV for me its not showing the trailing line? i added 10ema on my own is that right or it should show as part of the script.
We should stop only at grey arrow or follow the guide as per video and stop based on atr?

If you want to see the ATR Trailing stop just change the "def" to "plot" so you have the following :

plot ATRStop = ATRTrailingStop(trailType, ATRPeriod, ATRFactor, firstTrade, averageType);

same for the ema's, if you want to see them, change those to plot instead of def as well.

As for how to use stops, that's a personal preference. I'm just helping with the study as a tool, the nice thing about ThinkScript is that you can modify it to match your own trading style.

For now I'm using the default values but I'll be testing with different ones to find the most profitable and optimal. If you'd like to know what each one does when you import the study on your chart and go to the settings you'll see question mark icons next to them which explain how they function.
@Alex for ATR there isnt any question mark against it? Default is 5 and 3.5 if we reduce atr fator there are more trades and more stops. How do u place ur stop? are u using method told in video or you are using grey arrow stop in script?

@Alex for ATR there isnt any question mark against it? Default is 5 and 3.5 if we reduce atr fator there are more trades and more stops. How do u place ur stop? are u using method told in video or you are using grey arrow stop in script?
From my understanding the larger the values the wider the trailing stop will be and as for the stops I am testing with the grey arrow which indicates when a bar has closed above / below the trailing stop.

From my understanding the larger the values the wider the trailing stop will be and as for the stops I am testing with the grey arrow which indicates when a bar has closed above / below the trailing stop.
Yes, the factor literally multiplies the ATR by that amount. It essentially expands the band, diminishing the amount of chop you might see otherwise. Too small a value and you'll have a lot of fluctuations, too large and it becomes meaningless. The factor (and period) allows you to adjust based on the volatility each stock/future has. There is no golden set of values that works for everything, find what works best for your style and what you trade.

@iAskQs , Not a bad pick this morning so far ...

VbufVYx.png
yeah, you could have made a fortune there, but realistically it's at the open, it's a 23 point candle, and at that point I don't see a clear trend. I would avoid such a risky situation. I did use a 10-20-50 stacked ema filter in the indicator so that signal is not completely without reason.

I added a profit calc to this, assuming a long was an upsignal and short a downsignal. I personally then like to set TradeDaytimeOnly to yes, since, I'm not trading 24 hours a day, so I set my times I'm available and it will exit prior to end of day. Something to play with and you can try it on different stocks/futures and timeframes. You can code in your own stops as well.

Ruby:
# Shimi's Scalp Pro Elite Platinum Extreme; Deluxe Edition.
# Based on Quant Trade Edge's Strategy in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhW5czmfc14
# Original Strategy is for NQ 1 minute chart, long only above 10ema and short only below 10ema, risking 1 ATR for .5 ATR target.

# Start EMA
input price = close;
input length = 10;
input displace = 0;

def ema = expAverage(price[-displace], length);
def ema20 = expAverage (price, length=20);
def ema50 = expAverage (price, length=50);

def bull = close > open and low < low[1] and high < high[1] and close > ema and ema > ema20 and ema20 > ema50;
def bear = close < open and low > low[1] and high > high[1] and close < ema and ema < ema20 and ema20 < ema50;

def upsignal = bull;
def downsignal = bear;
#UpSignal.SetDefaultColor(Color.UPTICK);
#UpSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
#DownSignal.SetDefaultColor(Color.DOWNTICK);
#DownSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);

# Profit and Loss Labels
#
# Fill in the 0>0 in the Create Signals section below to match your buy and sell signal conditions
#
# When using large amounts of hisorical data, P/L may take time to calculate

input showSignals = yes; #hint showSignals: show buy and sell arrows
input LongTrades = yes; #hint LongTrades: perform long trades
input ShortTrades = yes; #hint ShortTrades: perform short trades
input showLabels  = yes; #hint showLabels: show PL labels at top
input showBubbles = yes; #hint showBubbles: show PL bubbles at close of trade
input useStops = no;     #hint useStops: use stop orders
input useAlerts = no;    #hint useAlerts: use alerts on signals
input tradeDaytimeOnly = no; #hint tradeDaytimeOnly: (IntraDay Only) Only perform trades during hours stated
input OpenTime = 0930; #hint OpenTime: Opening time of market
input CloseTime = 1600; #hint CloseTime: Closing time of market

def Begin = secondsfromTime(OpenTime);
def End = secondsTillTime(closetime);
# Only use market hours when using intraday timeframe
def isIntraDay = if getaggregationperiod() > 14400000 or getaggregationperiod()==0 then 0 else 1;
def MarketOpen = if !tradeDaytimeOnly or !isIntraDay then 1 else if tradeDaytimeOnly and isIntraDay and Begin > 0 and End > 0 then 1 else 0;

##  Create Signals -
##  FILL IN THIS SECTION
##      replace 0>0 with your conditions for signals

def PLBuySignal = if  MarketOpen AND (upsignal) then 1 else 0 ; # insert condition to create long position in place of the 0>0
def PLSellSignal =  if MarketOpen AND (downsignal) then 1 else 0; # insert condition to create short position in place of the 0>0

def PLBuyStop  = if !useStops then 0 else if  (0>0) then 1 else 0  ; # insert condition to stop in place of the 0<0
def PLSellStop = if !useStops then 0 else if (0>0) then 1 else 0  ; # insert condition to stop in place of the 0>0

def PLMktStop = if MarketOpen[-1] == 0 then 1 else 0; # If tradeDaytimeOnly is set, then stop at end of day

##  Maintain the position of trades

def CurrentPosition;  # holds whether flat = 0 long = 1 short = -1

if (BarNumber()==1) OR isNaN(CurrentPosition[1]) {
    CurrentPosition = 0;
}else{
        if CurrentPosition[1] == 0 {            # FLAT
            if (PLBuySignal AND LongTrades) {
                CurrentPosition = 1;
            } else if (PLSellSignal AND ShortTrades){
                CurrentPosition = -1;
            } else {
            }
       } else if CurrentPosition[1] == 1 {      # LONG
            if (PLSellSignal AND ShortTrades){
                CurrentPosition = -1;
            } else if ((PLBuyStop and useStops) or PLMktStop or (PLSellSignal AND ShortTrades==0)){
                CurrentPosition = 0;
            } else {
            }
       } else if CurrentPosition[1] == -1 {     # SHORT
            if (PLBuySignal AND LongTrades){
                CurrentPosition = 1;
            } else if ((PLSellStop and useStops) or PLMktStop or (PlBuySignal and LongTrades==0)){
                CurrentPosition = 0;
            } else {
            }
       } else {
       }
}

def isLong  = if CurrentPosition == 1 then 1 else 0;
def isShort = if CurrentPosition == -1 then 1 else 0;
def isFlat  = if CurrentPosition == 0 then 1 else 0;

# If not already long and get a PLBuySignal
#Plot BuySig = if (!isLong[1] and PLBuySignal and showSignals and LongTrades) then 1 else 0;
Plot BuySig = if (((isShort[1] and LongTrades) or (isFlat[1] and LongTrades)) and PLBuySignal and showSignals) then 1 else 0;
BuySig.AssignValueColor(color.cyan);
BuySig.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
BuySig.SetLineWeight(5);

# If not already short and get a PLSellSignal
Plot SellSig = if (((isLong[1] and ShortTrades) or (isFlat[1] and ShortTrades)) and PLSellSignal and showSignals) then 1 else 0;
SellSig.AssignValueColor(color.cyan);
SellSig.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
SellSig.SetLineWeight(5);

# If long and get a PLBuyStop
Plot BuyStpSig = if (PLBuyStop and isLong[1] and showSignals and useStops) or (isLong[1] and PLMktStop) or (isLong[1] and PLSellSignal and !ShortTrades) then 1 else 0;
BuyStpSig.AssignValueColor(color.light_gray);
BuyStpSig.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
BuyStpSig.SetLineWeight(3);

# If short and get a PLSellStop
Plot SellStpSig = if (PLSellStop and isShort[1] and showSignals and useStops) or (isShort[1] and PLMktStop) or (isShort[1] and PLBuySignal and !LongTrades) then 1 else 0;
SellStpSig.AssignValueColor(color.light_gray);
SellStpSig.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
SellStpSig.SetLineWeight(3);

##  Orders

def isOrder = if ((isFlat[1] and (BuySig and LongTrades) or (SellSig and ShortTrades)) or (isLong[1] and BuyStpSig or (SellSig and ShortTrades)) or (isShort[1] and SellStpSig or (BuySig and LongTrades))) then 1 else 0 ;
# If there is an order, then the price is the next days close
def orderPrice = if (isOrder and ((BuySig and LongTrades) or (SellSig and ShortTrades))) then close else orderPrice[1];

def orderCount = compoundValue(1,if isNan(isOrder) or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if (BuySig or SellSig) then orderCount[1]+1 else orderCount[1],0);

##  Price and Profit

def profitLoss;

if (!isOrder or orderPRice[1]==0){
    profitLoss = 0;
} else if ((isOrder and isLong[1]) and (SellSig or BuyStpSig)){
    profitLoss = close - orderPrice[1];
} else if ((isOrder and isShort[1]) and (BuySig or SellStpSig)) {
    profitLoss = orderPrice[1] - close;
} else {
    profitLoss = 0;
}

# Total Profit or Loss
def profitLossSum = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(isOrder)  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder then profitLossSum[1] + profitLoss else profitLossSum[1], 0);

# How many trades won or lost
def profitWinners = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(profitWinners[1]) or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and profitLoss > 0 then profitWinners[1] + 1 else profitWinners[1], 0);
def profitLosers = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(profitLosers[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and profitLoss < 0 then profitLosers[1] + 1 else profitLosers[1], 0);
def profitPush = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(profitPush[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and profitLoss == 0 then profitPush[1] + 1 else profitPush[1], 0);

# Current Open Trade Profit or Loss
def TradePL = If isLong then Round(((close - orderprice)/TickSize())*TickValue()) else if isShort then Round(((orderPrice - close)/TickSize())*TickValue()) else 0;

# Convert to actual dollars based on Tick Value for bubbles
def dollarProfitLoss = if orderPRice[1]==0 or isNaN(orderPrice[1]) then 0 else round((profitLoss/Ticksize())*Tickvalue());

# Closed Orders dollar P/L
def dollarPLSum = round((profitLossSum/Ticksize())*Tickvalue());

# Split profits or losses by long and short trades
def profitLong = compoundValue(1, if isNan(profitLong[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and isLong[1] then profitLong[1]+dollarProfitLoss else profitLong[1],0);
def profitShort = compoundValue(1, if isNan(profitShort[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and isShort[1] then profitShort[1]+dollarProfitLoss else profitShort[1],0);
def countLong = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(countLong[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and isLong[1] then countLong[1]+1 else countLong[1],0);
def countShort = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(countShort[1])  or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and isShort[1] then countShort[1]+1 else countShort[1],0);

# What was the biggest winning and losing trade
def biggestWin = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(biggestWin[1]) or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and (dollarProfitLoss > 0) and (dollarProfitLoss > biggestWin[1]) then dollarProfitLoss else biggestWin[1], 0);
def biggestLoss = compoundValue(1, if isNaN(biggestLoss[1]) or barnumber()==1 then 0 else if isOrder and (dollarProfitLoss < 0) and (dollarProfitLoss < biggestLoss[1]) then dollarProfitLoss else biggestLoss[1], 0);

def ClosedTradeCount = if (isLong or isShort) then orderCount-1 else orderCount;
def OpenTrades = if (isLong or isShort) then 1 else 0;

# What percent were winners
def PCTWin = if (OpenTrades and (TradePL < 0)) then round((profitWinners/(ClosedTradeCount+1))*100,2)
else if (OpenTrades and (TradePL > 0)) then round(((profitWinners+1)/(ClosedTradeCount+1))*100,2) else round(((profitWinners)/(ClosedTradeCount))*100,2) ;

# Average trade
def avgTrade = if (OpenTrades and (TradePL < 0)) then round(((dollarPLSum - TradePL)/(ClosedTradeCount+1)),2)
else if (OpenTrades and (TradePL > 0)) then round(((dollarPLSum + TradePL)/(ClosedTradeCount+1)),2) else round(((dollarPLSum)/(ClosedTradeCount)),2) ;

##  Create Labels

AddLabel(showLabels and isIntraDay, if MarketOpen then "Market Open" else "Market Closed", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels, GetSymbol()+" Tick Size: "+TickSize()+" Value: "+TickValue(), color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels and (LongTrades and ShortTrades), "Long+Short Trades", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels and (LongTrades and !ShortTrades),"Long Trades Only", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels and (!LongTrades and ShortTrades),"Short Trades Only", color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels, "Closed Orders: " + ClosedTradeCount + " P/L: " + AsDollars(dollarPLSum), if dollarPLSum > 0 then Color.GREEN else if dollarPLSum< 0 then Color.RED else Color.GRAY);
AddLabel(if !IsNan(orderPrice) and showLabels then 1 else 0, "Closed+Open P/L: "+ AsDollars(TradePL+dollarPLSum), if ((TradePL+dollarPLSum) > 0) then color.green else if ((TradePL+dollarPLSum) < 0) then color.red else color.gray);

AddLabel(showLabels, "Avg per Trade: "+ AsDollars(avgTrade), if avgTrade > 0 then Color.Green else if avgTrade < 0 then Color.RED else Color.GRAY);
AddLabel(showLabels, "Winners: "+ PCTWin +"%",if PCTWin > 50 then color.green else if PCTWin > 40 then color.yellow else color.gray);

AddLabel(showLabels, "MaxUp: "+ AsDollars(biggestWin) +" MaxDown: "+AsDollars(biggestLoss), color.white);
AddLabel(showLabels, "Long Profit: " +AsDollars(profitLong), if profitLong > 0 then color.green else if profitLong < 0 then color.red else color.gray);
AddLabel(showLabels, "Short Profit: " +AsDollars(profitShort), if profitShort > 0 then color.green else if profitShort < 0 then color.red else color.gray);
AddLabel(if !IsNan(CurrentPosition) and showLabels and OpenTrades then 1 else 0, "Open: "+ (If isLong then "Bought" else "Sold") + " @ "+orderPrice, color.white);
AddLabel(if !IsNan(orderPrice) and showLabels and OpenTrades then 1 else 0, "Open Trade P/L: "+ AsDollars(TradePL), if (TradePL > 0) then color.green else if (TradePl < 0) then color.red else color.gray);

##  Chart Bubbles for Profit/Loss

AddChartBubble(showSignals and showBubbles and isOrder and isLong[1], low, "$"+dollarProfitLoss, if dollarProfitLoss == 0 then Color.LIGHT_GRAY else if dollarProfitLoss > 0 then Color.GREEN else color.Red, 0);
AddChartBubble(showSignals and showBubbles and isOrder and isShort[1], high,  "$"+dollarProfitLoss, if dollarProfitLoss == 0 then Color.LIGHT_GRAY else if dollarProfitLoss > 0 then Color.GREEN else color.Red, 1);

#AssignPriceColor(if CurrentPosition == 1 then color.green else if CurrentPosition == -1 then color.red else color.gray);

30 day 1min NQ trading daytime only long and short trades
8RO0Uja.png

## FILL IN THIS SECTION

What do I have to fill in? I would appreciate any advice you could provide for a beginner

Last edited by a moderator:
## FILL IN THIS SECTION

What do I have to fill in? I would appreciate any advice you could provide for a beginner

The P/L add on normally has the PLBuySignal, PLSellSignal, etc that needs to be filled in. However, it's already filled in based on this study, so nothing to do. If you want to add the P/L to your own study, just copy from :

# Profit and Loss Labels

To the bottom, then fill in the buy and sell signals to match your study instead. Here's the original, just fill in the (0>0) with your signals.

Code:
def PLBuySignal = if  MarketOpen AND (0>0) then 1 else 0 ; # insert condition to create long position in place of the 0>0
def PLSellSignal =  if MarketOpen AND (0>0) then 1 else 0; # insert condition to create short position in place of the 0>0

def PLBuyStop  = if !useStops then 0 else if  (0>0) then 1 else 0  ; # insert condition to stop in place of the 0<0
def PLSellStop = if !useStops then 0 else if (0>0) then 1 else 0  ; # insert condition to stop in place of the 0>0

@iAskQs , Not a bad pick this morning so far ...

VbufVYx.png
I had the same entry simply using price action. I have the same clean charts as you JoeDV I use the (20, 50, 200 EMA's) I entered (shorted) 2 points below your Blue arrow candle after I saw a failed breakout and close below the first green bar.
I always use this script BEST on the 5 min and 15 min. Load it; back test it and see where/what the triangles and squares are recommending you to do THEN look for entries based on those symbols. No blind entries. Let me know please.

input z = 45;

# Candle Range
def a = absValue(high - low);
# Candle Body
def b = absValue(close - open);
# Percent to Decimal
def c = z / 100;

# Range Verification
def rv = b < c * a;

# Price Level for Retracement
def x = low + (c * a);
def y = high - (c * a);

def sl = rv == 1 and high > y and close<y and open<y;
def ss = rv == 1 and low<x and close> x and open> x;

def li = if sl then y else if ss then x else (x+y)/2;

#assignPriceColor(if sl then color.red else if ss then color.green else color.white);

plot green = if ss then(low - 2 * tickSize()) else Double.NAN;;
green.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.TRIANGLES);
green.SetDefaultColor(Color.WHITE);

plot red = if sl then(high + 2 * tickSize()) else Double.NAN;
red.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.SQUARES);
red.SetDefaultColor(Color.LIGHT_GREEN);

Awesome study Joe. I have incorporated it as a strategy and wondering why the mismatch between total profit reported using FPL() function versus yours. May be yours is accurate . I don't know . Have to research.

Awesome study Joe. I have incorporated it as a strategy and wondering why the mismatch between total profit reported using FPL() function versus yours. May be yours is accurate . I don't know . Have to research.

Not my study, I only added the P/L stuff. Could be what is used as the entry and exit price. All P/L reports are only rough estimates since actual trade prices will vary. I use it more to see how studies compare or how making changes to inputs impacts it overall.

I dont know if my replies go to the group or to the individual I reply to. I usually dont write at all. I see there are some newbs here and YES the openings are scary and violent and I dont recommend entering at that time UNLESS your strategy and price action tell you to. I was responding to iAskQs post and this strategy of pullback based on the 50 works on every time frame mins to days to weekly charts. 8, 20, 50 and 200 EMAs are what works for me. First, be very careful in the lower timeframes on opening (backtest yourself). If there was a spike to now range, yes 3 min and under are ideal for range opens.

...Risk is always part of the game and you are always weighing the probabilities. I suggest you take a different approach to the openings... using your "EMA stacks"... I want you to see what this script you are writing blogging on is mostly doing. It is marking pullbacks PERIOD; using the 10 EMA. This next part is gold so listen and then back test and then use it EVERYDAY... First, what is the trend? If looking at 3 min and below charts and you dont see the trend because it is in a range (stop looking at the tree and step back to see the season of the forest); go to 5 and 15 min. LOOK AT THE 50 EMA. Rule 1, if price action is below the 50 EMA you are looking for SHORT entries ONLY (using price action for entry not an arrow signal). Rule 1(a) this will work nearly 95% success if the 50 EMA is in a strong angle trend (NOT FLAT). If the trend matches on the 1, 5, 15, 60 min charts you can be in the high 80% 2:1 ratio if you simply enter at near the pullback to EMA that works for you. (stronger trends I use the 8 and 20 EMAs test it) Look at today; where did the 1 min open pullback to after bear action since midnight? THE 50. That is your entry for short have an immediate bracket order 2:1 ratio at your own risk limits and 95% you will hit it. Remember this applies in trending times NOT in ranges.

perfect example....time 12:27 EST price approaching 50 EMA on the 5 min. Look for short scalp entry...profit target where??? the 50 EMA on the 1 min

@JoeDV Thanks for providing this. I am pretty new at this stuff. I just tested this on todays stock EFOI. This is a 1min chart. Either I am missing something or it isn't working for me.

Screenshot-0.jpg

@JoeDV Thanks for providing this. I am pretty new at this stuff. I just tested this on todays stock EFOI. This is a 1min chart. Either I am missing something or it isn't working for me.

Screenshot-0.jpg
Could you explain further as to what this is showing and what you expect to see? Hard to tell from this what is "wrong". Thanks

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.