Multiple Time Frame (MTF) Squeeze Indicator for ThinkorSwim

@laketrader This is excellent with labels. It does complain if current timeframe is larger than a timeframe on the study. For eg, won't show a 5 minute sqz with 15 min chart complaining "Secondary period cannot be less than primary." I recently attended one of the webinars where they were selling something similar with another row of labels to show histogram colors as well and I was thinking if I can code this. I have never really coded in thinkscript but I will give it a go tomorrow. Another thing I might attempt will be to combine all the studies in 1 so upper study doesn't get flooded. Thank you so much for this!

Does anyone have the code or logic of the histogram to the squeeze oscillator? I'm trying to create a version of the squeeze oscillator for multiple timeframes.

@laketrader This is excellent with labels. It does complain if current timeframe is larger than a timeframe on the study. For eg, won't show a 5 minute sqz with 15 min chart complaining "Secondary period cannot be less than primary." I recently attended one of the webinars where they were selling something similar with another row of labels to show histogram colors as well and I was thinking if I can code this. I have never really coded in thinkscript but I will give it a go tomorrow. Another thing I might attempt will be to combine all the studies in 1 so upper study doesn't get flooded. Thank you so much for this!

Yeah, this with showing it with the histogram color its on, and or when it fires would be even more powerful.

Hello everyone,

I've tried taking parts of the squeeze cloud to create the squeeze labels to create the histogram multi-timeframe labels but they seem to be off a little. I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Update

I think I figured it out. Feel free to update or improve.

Screenshot

https://tos.mx/zGcGfh1
Code:
declare weak_volume_dependency;

input timeFrame = AggregationPeriod.HOUR;
input length = 20;

def price = close("Period" = timeFrame);

#Borrowed from Momentum Squeeze - Mobius
def K = (Highest(high("Period" = timeFrame), length) + Lowest(low("Period" = timeFrame), length) + ExpAverage(price, length)) / 3;
def Momo = Inertia(price - K, length);

def cyan = Momo > 0 and Momo > Momo[1];
def blue = Momo > 0 and Momo < Momo[1];
def red = Momo < 0 and Momo < Momo[1];
def yellow = Momo < 0 and Momo > Momo[1];

AddLabel(yes, if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.MONTH then "M"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.WEEK then "W"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.FOUR_DAYS then "4D"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.THREE_DAYS then "3D"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.TWO_DAYS then "2D"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.DAY then "D"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS then "4H"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS then "2H"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.HOUR then "60m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN then "30m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.TWENTY_MIN then "20m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN then "15m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN then "10m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN then "5m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.FOUR_MIN then "4m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.THREE_MIN then "3m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN then "2m"
    else
    if timeFrame == aggregationPeriod.MIN then "1m"
    else "", if cyan then Color.CYAN
              else if blue then Color.BLUE
              else if red then Color.RED
              else if yellow then Color.YELLOW
              else Color.BLACK
    );

Last edited:
#Borrowed from Momentum Squeeze - Mobius def K = (Highest(high("Period" = timeFrame), length) + Lowest(low("Period" = timeFrame), length) + ExpAverage(price, length)) / 3; def Momo = Inertia(price - K, length);

I see. So this is the magic squeeze formula? Does this exactly match with TTM_Squeeze? I was trying to use TTM_Squeeze histogram and I could get it working for current timeframe, but not for multiple timeframes as it doesn't take time/aggregation period as inputs. But I tried to do it some other way as described here but so far no luck.
I will try this one. Thank you!

I see. So this is the magic squeeze formula? Does this exactly match with TTM_Squeeze? I was trying to use TTM_Squeeze histogram and I could get it working for current timeframe, but not for multiple timeframes as it doesn't take time/aggregation period as inputs. But I tried to do it some other way as described here but so far no luck.
I will try this one. Thank you!

I ran into the same issue till I found another thread on here that had the TTM Cloud indicator. But it should work. I've been testing it all day to see if it does. This just the oscillator of the TTM squeeze. The squeeze itself is calculated differently.

Check out this post on the squeeze calculation https://usethinkscript.com/threads/clouds-with-ttm-squeeze-indicator-for-thinkorswim.1666/post-21286. This was my starting point for this.

The Best advice I got since i joined this site from multiple respected traders. I am paper trading since 3 weeks with 0.76% profit. Initially i followed @BenTen and @horserider advice using only VWAP, volume and looking at chart. Initially it was good setup but as every human i got curious and started to follow lots of threads on this site and indicators. Currently I am using RSI_L_FE, VWAP, Auto support resistance, Ichimoku cloud, ORB, TTM, momentum and got so confused but somehow surprisingly it helps me to not take bad trade.

Right now I have problem entering and exiting at right time and BIGGEST problem is figuring out where to put STOP LIMIT. So, I just watch the price tape, momentum, volume and L2 to buy and sell stock, but i sell it too early just to know that i could have made $4K instead $200 on MRNA recently, :). But, I am enjoying this learning curve. Any suggestions how i can improve my judgement. Thank you.

Do I have to add the link and customize for each timeframe?

When I add the study, I only get one label. Was curious if there is a way to set how many timeframes in the code?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I have to add the link and customize for each timeframe?

When I add the study, I only get one label. Was curious if there is a way to set how many timeframes in the code?

You have to add it multiple times to get multiple timeframes.

You have to add it multiple times to get multiple timeframes.
Understood and thank you for the quick reply.

One more question: How would I insert this version of squeeze (below) into your code?
I think this is for lower, but I'd like to use in the upper.

Thoughts?

Code:
input triggerBars = 6;
input LongShortDefinition = { default HistAboveBelowZero, HistRisingFalling, HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove};

def nBB = 2.0;
def Length = 20.0;
def nK_High = 1.0;
def nK_Mid = 1.5;
def nK_Low = 2.0; 
def price = close;
input signalOffsetFactor = 1.0;

def momentum = TTM_Squeeze(price = price, length = length, nk = nk_Mid, nbb = nbb)."Histogram";
def oscillator = momentum;
def BolKelDelta_Mid = reference BollingerBands("num_dev_up" = nBB, "length" = Length )."upperband" - KeltnerChannels("factor" = nK_Mid, "length" = Length)."Upper_Band";
def BolKelDelta_Low = reference BollingerBands("num_dev_up" = nBB, "length" = Length )."upperband" - KeltnerChannels("factor" = nK_Low, "length" = Length)."Upper_Band";
def BolKelDelta_High = reference BollingerBands("num_dev_up" = nBB, "length" = Length )."upperband" - KeltnerChannels("factor" = nK_High, "length" = Length)."Upper_Band";

def signalOffset = Average(TrueRange(high, close, low), 10) * signalOffsetFactor;

def lowSqueeze = BolKelDelta_Low <= 0;
def triggerLow = if sum(lowSqueeze,triggerBars) == triggerBars and !lowSqueeze[triggerBars] then 1 else 0;

plot signalLowLong = if triggerLow and ((LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistAboveBelowZero and  oscillator > 0) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFalling and  oscillator > oscillator[1]) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove and oscillator > oscillator[1] and oscillator < 0 )) then low-signalOffset else double.nan;

signalLowLong.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
signalLowLong.setDefaultColor(color.black);
signalLowLong.setLineWeight(5);

plot signalLowShort = if triggerLow and ((LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistAboveBelowZero and oscillator <= 0) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFalling and  oscillator < oscillator[1]) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove and oscillator < oscillator[1] and oscillator > 0 )) then high+signalOffset else double.nan;

signalLowShort.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.ARROW_Down);
signalLowShort.setDefaultColor(color.black);
signalLowShort.setLineWeight(5);

Understood and thank you for the quick reply.

One more question: How would I insert this version of squeeze (below) into your code?
I think this is for lower, but I'd like to use in the upper.

Thoughts?

Code:
input triggerBars = 6;
input LongShortDefinition = { default HistAboveBelowZero, HistRisingFalling, HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove};

def nBB = 2.0;
def Length = 20.0;
def nK_High = 1.0;
def nK_Mid = 1.5;
def nK_Low = 2.0;
def price = close;
input signalOffsetFactor = 1.0;

def momentum = TTM_Squeeze(price = price, length = length, nk = nk_Mid, nbb = nbb)."Histogram";
def oscillator = momentum;
def BolKelDelta_Mid = reference BollingerBands("num_dev_up" = nBB, "length" = Length )."upperband" - KeltnerChannels("factor" = nK_Mid, "length" = Length)."Upper_Band";
def BolKelDelta_Low = reference BollingerBands("num_dev_up" = nBB, "length" = Length )."upperband" - KeltnerChannels("factor" = nK_Low, "length" = Length)."Upper_Band";
def BolKelDelta_High = reference BollingerBands("num_dev_up" = nBB, "length" = Length )."upperband" - KeltnerChannels("factor" = nK_High, "length" = Length)."Upper_Band";

def signalOffset = Average(TrueRange(high, close, low), 10) * signalOffsetFactor;

def lowSqueeze = BolKelDelta_Low <= 0;
def triggerLow = if sum(lowSqueeze,triggerBars) == triggerBars and !lowSqueeze[triggerBars] then 1 else 0;

plot signalLowLong = if triggerLow and ((LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistAboveBelowZero and  oscillator > 0) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFalling and  oscillator > oscillator[1]) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove and oscillator > oscillator[1] and oscillator < 0 )) then low-signalOffset else double.nan;

signalLowLong.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
signalLowLong.setDefaultColor(color.black);
signalLowLong.setLineWeight(5);

plot signalLowShort = if triggerLow and ((LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistAboveBelowZero and oscillator <= 0) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFalling and  oscillator < oscillator[1]) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove and oscillator < oscillator[1] and oscillator > 0 )) then high+signalOffset else double.nan;

signalLowShort.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.ARROW_Down);
signalLowShort.setDefaultColor(color.black);
signalLowShort.setLineWeight(5);

Are you talking about the multiple timeframe squeeze?

Are you talking about the multiple timeframe squeeze?

Yes. In another chat, someone said this is a better version of squeeze, but I am not sure what I am looking at.

So I was curious if the squeeze code in your MTF script could somehow be replaced with the code I posted.

Yes. In another chat, someone said this is a better version of squeeze, but I am not sure what I am looking at.

So I was curious if the squeeze code in your MTF script could somehow be replaced with the code I posted.

It looks like I cutoff some of the code. paste this at the bottom of my last post.
It's a lower study. The colors represent the dots on the squeeze.

My hope is to make a label - just like yours - that tells me what color dot the squeeze is at for a given timeframe.
(i.e. - if the 5 minute squeeze is a black dot, the 5M label would be black)

Code:
def midSqueeze = BolKelDelta_Mid <= 0;
def triggerMid = if sum(midSqueeze,triggerBars) == triggerBars and !midSqueeze[triggerBars] then 1 else 0;

plot signalMidLong = if triggerMid and ((LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistAboveBelowZero and  oscillator > 0) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFalling and  oscillator > oscillator[1]) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove and oscillator > oscillator[1] and oscillator < 0 )) then low-signalOffset else double.nan;

signalMidLong.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
signalMidLong.setDefaultColor(color.red);
signalMidLong.setLineWeight(5);

plot signalMidShort = if triggerMid and ((LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistAboveBelowZero and  oscillator <= 0) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFalling and  oscillator < oscillator[1]) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove and oscillator < oscillator[1] and oscillator > 0 )) then high+signalOffset else double.nan;

signalMidShort.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.ARROW_Down);
signalMidShort.setDefaultColor(color.red);
signalMidShort.setLineWeight(5);

def highSqueeze = BolKelDelta_High <= 0;
def triggerHigh = if sum(highSqueeze,triggerBars) == triggerBars and !highSqueeze[triggerBars] then 1 else 0;

plot signalHighLong = if triggerHigh and ((LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistAboveBelowZero and  oscillator > 0) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFalling and  oscillator > oscillator[1]) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove and oscillator > oscillator[1] and oscillator < 0 )) then low-signalOffset else double.nan;

signalHighLong.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
signalHighLong.setDefaultColor(color.dark_orange);
signalHighLong.setLineWeight(5);

plot signalHighShort = if triggerHigh and ((LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistAboveBelowZero and  oscillator <= 0) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFalling and  oscillator < oscillator[1]) or (LongShortDefinition == LongShortDefinition.HistRisingFromBelowFallingFromAbove and oscillator < oscillator[1] and oscillator > 0 )) then high+signalOffset else double.nan;

signalHighShort.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.ARROW_Down);
signalHighShort.setDefaultColor(color.dark_orange);
signalHighShort.setLineWeight(5);

All - I've been working on building a comparable setup to John Carter's squeeze pro labels + histogram labels.

I was able to modify code I found here to accomplish the "squeeze pro" portion of this. Unfortunately, it is tough to find a histogram that matches Carter's. Mobius' code has a good histogram but I find it not nearly as smooth as John Carter's. However, I found the "Awesome Oscillator" in TOS to be very close to the TTM_Squeeze histogram when you modify the 2 period lengths in the code to be 9 & 21 instead of 5 & 34. I took this logic and built an "MTF histogram label" that sits just underneath the squeeze label...similar to JC's. I've watched several of his videos and confirmed that the squeeze portion of my code works verbatim to his. The histogram is not exact but it is "damn close."

Pic of my setup here:

Screenshot-2020-05-15-22-33-27.png

Here is a link to my shared grid, containing the histogram & squeeze labels: https://tos.mx/xkLakTN

Color legend for those unfamiliar:
  • Top row are the squeezes - Gray = low squeeze, Red = med squeeze (same as the original TTM_Squeeze indicator) and Yellow = high squeeze (this is the tightest squeeze). Green indicates no squeeze.
  • Bottom row contains histograms: Cyan = increasing positive momentum, Blue = waning positive momentum, Red = increasing negative momentum & Yellow = waning negative momentum.

Let me know your thoughts...

Last edited:
All - I've been working on building a comparable setup to John Carter's squeeze pro labels + histogram labels.

I was able to modify code I found here to accomplish the "squeeze pro" portion of this. Unfortunately, it is tough to find a histogram that matches Carter's. Mobius' code has a good histogram but I find it not nearly as smooth as John Carter's. However, I found the "Awesome Oscillator" in TOS to be very close to the TTM_Squeeze histogram when you modify the 2 period lengths in the code to be 9 & 21 instead of 5 & 34. I took this logic and built an "MTF histogram label" that sits just underneath the squeeze label...similar to JC's. I've watched several of his videos and confirmed that the squeeze portion of my code works verbatim to his. The histogram is not exact but it is "damn close."

Pic of my setup here: https://ibb.co/VVTH65K

Here is a link to my shared grid, containing the histogram & squeeze labels: https://tos.mx/xkLakTN

Color legend for those unfamiliar:
  • Top row are the squeezes - Gray = low squeeze, Red = med squeeze (same as the original TTM_Squeeze indicator) and Yellow = high squeeze (this is the tightest squeeze).
  • Bottom row contains histograms: Cyan = increasing positive momentum, Blue = waning positive momentum, Red = increasing negative momentum & Yellow = waning negative momentum.

Let me know your thoughts...

Oh this is good stuff. Thank you sir!

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.