Multiple Time Frame (MTF) Squeeze Indicator for ThinkorSwim

nOXc4Z8.png

Looking for something like the bottom pane ?
Anyone know if there's a way to create a multi-timeframe Moving Average Crossover indicator like this lower chart?

I was more specifically referring to the Green Dots in the screenshot of the MTF_TTM_Squeeze study. I'd like to see rows for each additional timeframe that display a Green Dot when the condition (9 EMA is above the 20 EMA) exists and a Red Dot when the condition does not exist.

For further clarity, I'd like for this indicator to be on a 1M chart but show a row for a 5 minute and another row for a 15 minute chart. Every time a new 1 minute candle prints, I'd like a Green or Red dot to print for the 5 and 15 minute rows based on the current state of the condition as outlined in the prior paragraph. I hope that makes sense. I think this would be incredibly useful for people who use EMA crossovers for multi-timeframe analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello
I've been messing around with this script but cant get it to work. I want to get TTM squeeze color on the labels on the corner of my charts fpr exmaple: 5M (color of the ttm), 15M (color of the ttm), 30M (color of the ttm), 1H(color of the ttm). The script colors the whole chart (it colors it the correct color) instead of the 5MIN label on the corner. (label is the wrong color as well) . Maybe someone can help me figure it out..?

Script:

input price = CLOSE;
input length = 20;
input nK = 1.5;
input nBB = 2.0;
input alertLine = 1.0;

def squeezeHistogram = TTM_Squeeze(price, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).Histogram;
plot hist = if squeezeHistogram >= 0 then
if squeezeHistogram > squeezeHistogram[1] then 2 else 1
else if squeezeHistogram < squeezeHistogram[1] then -2 else -1;
AssignBackgroundColor(if squeezeHistogram >= 0 then
if squeezeHistogram > squeezeHistogram[1] then Color.CYAN else Color.BLUE
else if squeezeHistogram < squeezeHistogram[1] then Color.RED else Color.YELLOW);
hist.AssignValueColor(if squeezeHistogram >= 0 then
else if squeezeHistogram < squeezeHistogram[1] then Color.RED else Color.YELLOW);

AddLabel(close, ”5M”);

Last edited:
@will1285 The AddLabel() call was the missing piece of the puzzle, plus you had the AssignBackgroundColor() call in place by mistake, which I commented out... You can simple remove those lines of code...

Here is the corrected code... Modify further as you see fit...

Edited to add: I went ahead and removed all of the unnecessary code... Also, I didn't verify your logic I only made the code work as coded...

Ruby:
input price = CLOSE;
input length = 20;
input nK = 1.5;
input nBB = 2.0;
input alertLine = 1.0;

def squeezeHistogram = TTM_Squeeze(price, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).Histogram;

AddLabel(yes, ”5M”, if squeezeHistogram >= 0 then

Last edited:
@will1285 The AddLabel() call was the missing piece of the puzzle, plus you had the AssignBackgroundColor() call in place by mistake, which I commented out... You can simple remove those lines of code...

Here is the corrected code... Modify further as you see fit...

Edited to add: I went ahead and removed all of the unnecessary code... Also, I didn't verify your logic I only made the code work as coded...

Ruby:
input price = CLOSE;
input length = 20;
input nK = 1.5;
input nBB = 2.0;
input alertLine = 1.0;

AddLabel(yes, ”5M”, if squeezeHistogram >= 0 then
Thanks @rad14733 this was a great help!
I'm trying to get the script to plot different timeframes. for example I open the 1 HOUR chart but have the script show the color of TTM on the DAILY. its only showing the color of the chart its opened on. This is as far as I got:

Script:

Code:
input dStr = AggregationPeriod.DAY;

input period = AggregationPeriod.DAY;

input price = CLOSE;
    input length = 20;
    input nK = 1.5;
    input nBB = 2.0;
    input alertLine = 1.0;

AddLabel(yes, if dStr == AggregationPeriod.MONTH then "M"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.WEEK then "W"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.FOUR_DAYS then "4D"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.THREE_DAYS then "3D"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.TWO_DAYS then "2D"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.DAY then "D"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.FOUR_HOURS then "4H"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.TWO_HOURS then "2H"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.HOUR then "60m"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN then "30m"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.TWENTY_MIN then "20m"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.FIFTEEN_MIN then "15m"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN then "10m"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.FIVE_MIN then "5m"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.FOUR_MIN then "4m"
    else
    if dStr  == AggregationPeriod.THREE_MIN then "3m"
    else
    if dStr == AggregationPeriod.TWO_MIN then "2m"
    else
    if dStr  == AggregationPeriod.MIN then "1m"
    else

if squeezeHistogram >= 0 then

Well I wanted to modify the squeeze code I had to include vertical lines that fire but I can't figure why it's not firing correctly. I had bolded the area that adds the vertical line but it's not firing. In the codes you've shared, the vertical Fire lines display, I was trying to replicate it for the code I pasted.

@Pelonsax - is there any way to make this dynamic to change in overall timeframe (e.g. vs manual input of changing time frame by modifying study).

All I was able to figure it out.. we can ignore this. If anyone was interested, happy to share.
Hello Everyone,
new member here and finding some great content. Thankful for everyone being helpful in sharing and adding to the forum.

@ampersand / @Pelonsax - was there a solution to making this "Dynamic" change vs manually having to input the timeframes via the input selector on the study?

Hello Everyone,
new member here and finding some great content. Thankful for everyone being helpful in sharing and adding to the forum.

@ampersand / @Pelonsax - was there a solution to making this "Dynamic" change vs manually having to input the timeframes via the input selector on the study?
Oof brother. Long time since I worked on this script. Can you help me out here? What specifically are we referring to?

Oof brother. Long time since I worked on this script. Can you help me out here? What specifically are we referring

@Pelonsax - this for the quick response and apologies for the ambiguity ....

Im trying to see if there’s a way to modify the code below to make it “Automatically” adjust the timeframes based on the timeframe of the chart you’re on.... for example rather than hard code t1= 1min, t2=5min, t3=15m, t4=1hr....use something like getAggregation period to determine which timeframe chart you’re on and then programmatically set the value of t2, t3, and t4 and then paint/plot the indicator...see code from thread#34 below....

Code:
Code:
declare lower;
input AP1 = AggregationPeriod.DAY;
input AP2 = AggregationPeriod.TWO_DAYS;
input AP3 = AggregationPeriod.THREE_DAYS;
input AP4 = AggregationPeriod.FOUR_DAYS;
input AP5 = AggregationPeriod.WEEK;
input AP6 = AggregationPeriod.MONTH;
input vote = 3;

def price1 = CLOSE(period = AP1);
def price2 = CLOSE(period = AP2);
def price3 = CLOSE(period = AP3);
def price4 = CLOSE(period = AP4);
def price5 = CLOSE(period = AP5);
def price6 = CLOSE(period = AP6);
def length = 20;
def nK = 1.5;
def nBB = 2.0;
def alertLine = 1.0;
def Sqz_Length = 3;

def squeezeDots1 = TTM_Squeeze(price1, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots2 = TTM_Squeeze(price2, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots3 = TTM_Squeeze(price3, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots4 = TTM_Squeeze(price4, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots5 = TTM_Squeeze(price5, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots6 = TTM_Squeeze(price6, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;

def Top_Plot = (squeezeDots1 + squeezeDots2 + squeezeDots3 + squeezeDots4 +  squeezeDots5 +squeezeDots6) >= Vote;

plot MTF_Sqz = 7;
MTF_Sqz.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
MTF_Sqz.AssignValueColor(if Top_Plot == 1 then Color.BLACK else Color.DARK_RED);
MTF_Sqz.SetLineWeight(5);

plot Sqeezy1 = if squeezeDots1 == 1 then squeezeDots1 + 5 else 6;
plot Sqeezy2 = if squeezeDots2 == 1 then squeezeDots2 + 4 else 5;
plot Sqeezy3 = if squeezeDots3 == 1 then squeezeDots3 + 3 else 4;
plot Sqeezy4 = if squeezeDots4 == 1 then squeezeDots4 + 2 else 3;
plot Sqeezy5 = if squeezeDots5 == 1 then squeezeDots5 + 1 else 2;
plot Sqeezy6 = if squeezeDots6 == 1 then squeezeDots6 else 1;

Sqeezy1.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy1.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots1 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy1.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy2.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy2.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots2 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy2.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy3.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy3.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots3 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy3.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy4.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy4.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots5 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy4.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy5.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy5.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots5 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy5.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy6.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy6.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots6 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else  Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy6.SetLineWeight(3);

@UstaadGupio I was just testing a Study last night that self-adjusts exactly as you describe... It would auto-adjust based on current timeframe for multiple aggregation periods... See more --> HERE ... The code is on the TOSIndicators site...

@rad14733 - Thks for taking time to respond and help me out....
Yes I'm familiar with the version that you mentioned on the TOSIndicators site....I'm actually wanting to use the "GetAggregationPeriod" functionality from there to ultimately get an end product like the one in post#34 by @subharmonic (See Below)

End Goal = MTF Horizontal Dots (like the one below) by (using getAggregationPeriod) and not have hard-coded timeframes that require changes to the input parameter

Hope experts like yourself and others (@BenTen , @subharmonic , @horserider , @Pelonsax, I'm sorry if I missed any experts that I'm not yet aware of) can help -

Not sure about the blank spots but this is my version of the squeeze with MORE DOTS!
There are 6 aggregations, you can pick the "vote" for the topline to show is "x" of 6 are in line with each other.
GnPPmSd.png

Code:
declare lower;
input AP1 = AggregationPeriod.DAY;
input AP2 = AggregationPeriod.TWO_DAYS;
input AP3 = AggregationPeriod.THREE_DAYS;
input AP4 = AggregationPeriod.FOUR_DAYS;
input AP5 = AggregationPeriod.WEEK;
input AP6 = AggregationPeriod.MONTH;
input vote = 3;

def price1 = CLOSE(period = AP1);
def price2 = CLOSE(period = AP2);
def price3 = CLOSE(period = AP3);
def price4 = CLOSE(period = AP4);
def price5 = CLOSE(period = AP5);
def price6 = CLOSE(period = AP6);
def length = 20;
def nK = 1.5;
def nBB = 2.0;
def alertLine = 1.0;
def Sqz_Length = 3;

def squeezeDots1 = TTM_Squeeze(price1, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots2 = TTM_Squeeze(price2, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots3 = TTM_Squeeze(price3, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots4 = TTM_Squeeze(price4, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots5 = TTM_Squeeze(price5, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;
def squeezeDots6 = TTM_Squeeze(price6, length, nK, nBB, alertLine).SqueezeAlert;

def Top_Plot = (squeezeDots1 + squeezeDots2 + squeezeDots3 + squeezeDots4 +  squeezeDots5 +squeezeDots6) >= Vote;

plot MTF_Sqz = 7;
MTF_Sqz.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
MTF_Sqz.AssignValueColor(if Top_Plot == 1 then Color.BLACK else Color.DARK_RED);
MTF_Sqz.SetLineWeight(5);

plot Sqeezy1 = if squeezeDots1 == 1 then squeezeDots1 + 5 else 6;
plot Sqeezy2 = if squeezeDots2 == 1 then squeezeDots2 + 4 else 5;
plot Sqeezy3 = if squeezeDots3 == 1 then squeezeDots3 + 3 else 4;
plot Sqeezy4 = if squeezeDots4 == 1 then squeezeDots4 + 2 else 3;
plot Sqeezy5 = if squeezeDots5 == 1 then squeezeDots5 + 1 else 2;
plot Sqeezy6 = if squeezeDots6 == 1 then squeezeDots6 else 1;

Sqeezy1.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy1.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots1 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy1.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy2.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy2.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots2 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy2.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy3.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy3.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots3 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy3.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy4.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy4.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots5 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy4.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy5.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy5.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots5 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy5.SetLineWeight(3);
Sqeezy6.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
Sqeezy6.AssignValueColor(if squeezeDots6 == 1 then Color.DARK_GREEN else  Color.DARK_RED);
Sqeezy6.SetLineWeight(3);

I am asking if this can be added to watchlist> customize view so the colors can be seen to decide. I have it with 0.0. as default, and dont know how to change it. I will post my watchlist so you can see what I am asking-
Thanks

Is there a way to add the TTM Squeeze Histogram from higher timeframes to a lower timeframe chart?

As an example, if like to add the TTM Squeeze Histogram from a 5 minute and 15 minute chart to a 1 minute chart.

@GetRichOrDieTrying Give the following code a try... I ended up using the TTM_Squeeze_Pro clone created by TheBewb so it can be configured as Standard or Pro... As the comments state, the default is Standard TTM_Squeeze color style... By editing within the Study Settings Panel it will function as Pro, providing four squeeze dot colors...

Ruby:
# TTM_Squeeze_Pro_Selectable_Aggregation
#
# Assembled by TheBewb using existing Mobius Squeeze Momentum coding and "squeeze" concept made popular by John Carter.
#
# Modified 2021-07-27 by rad14733 for usethinkscript.com
# Added code to allow AggregationPeriod selection
# Added code to allow styling modifications
# Default colors are in standard TTM_Squeeze style
# Colors can be edited via study settings or in the code for TTM_Squeeze_Pro style

declare lower;

input agg = AggregationPeriod.THIRTY_MIN;
def price = close(period = agg);
input length = 20;
input Num_Dev_Dn = -2.0;
input Num_Dev_up = 2.0;
input averageType = AverageType.SIMPLE;
input displace = 0;
def sDev = StDev(data = price[-displace], length = length);
def MidLineBB = MovingAverage(averageType, data = price[-displace], length = length);
def LowerBandBB = MidLineBB + Num_Dev_Dn * sDev;
def UpperBandBB = MidLineBB + Num_Dev_up * sDev;
input factorhigh = 1.0;
input factormid = 1.5;
input factorlow = 2.0;
input trueRangeAverageType = AverageType.SIMPLE;
def shifthigh = factorhigh * MovingAverage(trueRangeAverageType, TrueRange(high, close, low), length);
def shiftMid = factormid * MovingAverage(trueRangeAverageType, TrueRange(high, close, low), length);
def shiftlow = factorlow * MovingAverage(trueRangeAverageType, TrueRange(high, close, low), length);
def average = MovingAverage(averageType, price, length);

def Avg = average[-displace];

def UpperBandKCLow = average[-displace] + shiftlow[-displace];
def LowerBandKCLow = average[-displace] - shiftlow[-displace];

def UpperBandKCMid = average[-displace] + shiftMid[-displace];
def LowerBandKCMid = average[-displace] - shiftMid[-displace];

def UpperBandKCHigh = average[-displace] + shifthigh[-displace];
def LowerBandKCHigh = average[-displace] - shifthigh[-displace];

def K = (Highest(high, length) + Lowest(low, length)) / 2 + ExpAverage(close, length);
def momo = Inertia(price - K / 2, length);

def pos = momo >= 0;
def neg = momo < 0;
def up = momo >= momo[1];
def dn = momo < momo[1];

def presqueeze = LowerBandBB > LowerBandKCLow and UpperBandBB < UpperBandKCLow;
def originalSqueeze = LowerBandBB > LowerBandKCMid and UpperBandBB < UpperBandKCMid;
def ExtrSqueeze = LowerBandBB > LowerBandKCHigh and UpperBandBB < UpperBandKCHigh;

def PosUp = pos and up;
def PosDn = pos and dn;
def NegDn = neg and dn;
def NegUp = neg and up;

plot squeezeline = 0;
squeezeline.DefineColor("ExtrSqueeze", Color.RED);
squeezeline.DefineColor("OriginalSqueeze", Color.RED);
squeezeline.DefineColor("PreSqueeze", Color.GREEN);
squeezeline.DefineColor("NoSqueeze", Color.GREEN);
squeezeline.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
squeezeline.SetLineWeight(3);
squeezeline.AssignValueColor(if ExtrSqueeze then squeezeline.Color("ExtrSqueeze") else if originalSqueeze  then squeezeline.Color("OriginalSqueeze") else if presqueeze then squeezeline.Color("PreSqueeze") else squeezeline.Color("NoSqueeze"));

plot momentum = momo;
momentum.DefineColor("PosUp", Color.CYAN);
momentum.DefineColor("PosDn", Color.BLUE);
momentum.DefineColor("NegDn", Color.RED);
momentum.DefineColor("NegUp", Color.YELLOW);
momentum.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HISTOGRAM);
momentum.SetLineWeight(3);
momentum.AssignValueColor(if PosUp then momentum.Color("PosUp") else if PosDn then momentum.Color("PosDn") else if NegDn then momentum.Color("NegDn") else if NegUp then momentum.Color("NegUp") else momentum.Color("NegUp"));

# END - TTM_Squeeze_Pro_Selectable_Aggregation

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

I'm curious. Do you know why the histograms you created look different than the standard TTM Squeeze on the actual timeframe chart?

As an example, I added a 5 minute and 15 minute squeeze to my 1 minute chart from the script you created. Those histograms look different than the standard ttm squeeze histogram on the 5 and 15 charts on the side of my grid.

See screenshot below.

https://i.ibb.co/h7tjJtm/MTF-TTM.png

Also, is it possible to make this work on the mobile app?
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

I'm curious. Do you know why the histograms you created look different than the standard TTM Squeeze on the actual timeframe chart?

As an example, I added a 5 minute and 15 minute squeeze to my 1 minute chart from the script you created. Those histograms look different than the standard ttm squeeze histogram on the 5 and 15 charts on the side of my grid.

See screenshot below.

https://i.ibb.co/h7tjJtm/MTF-TTM.png

Look at the TTM Squeeze on the 5 minute and 15 minute charts on the left side of the grid and then look at the 5 and 15 minute TTM Squeeze from your script on the 1 minute chart. The histograms don't look the same. I'm sure there's a good reason for this, and I'm just too dumb to know why. I actually like the way your script makes alternate timeframe TTM Squeezes shows up, but I'm curious why the histograms look different.

@GetRichOrDieTrying As you can see by the images below, the new indicator paints the same as the original with the exception that in the top image I had the dots set to Pro styling... Another difference is that I used Red instead of Dark_Red... I think what you may be seeing is image time compression... Look at the timelines at the bottoms of the three charts...

Efpz5qp.png

3aRzFp7.png

@GetRichOrDieTrying As you can see by the images below, the new indicator paints the same as the original with the exception that in the top image I had the dots set to Pro styling... Another difference is that I used Red instead of Dark_Red... I think what you may be seeing is image time compression... Look at the timelines at the bottoms of the three charts...

Efpz5qp.png

3aRzFp7.png
The screenshots you shared show the standard TTM Squeeze and your multi time frame Squeeze for the same timeframe as the chart. I acknowledge that works correctly.

I was specifically referring to the histogram looking different when comparing the standard ttm squeeze on a 5 or 15 minute chart vs. your squeeze of a 5 or 15 chart on a 1 minute chart.

You mentioned time compression which sounds right. Although I'm not exactly sure what that means. When I Googled it, I got irrelevant search results that referenced indicators in TOS shrinking the chart, which isn't relevant.

Do you have any further details on time compression?

@GetRichOrDieTrying The TTM_Squeeze histogram is based on inertia using the Inertia() function and will display differently based on the time compression of the histogram... Again, look at the timeline at the bottom of each chart... Now, count how many bars are displayed between the same time periods on each chart... Between the difference in timeframe and time compression there is going to be a different histogram...

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.