Mobius Volume Waves, Trend Pivots and RSI Laguerre For ThinkOrSwim

Interesting.. I will turn extended off and give it a try. Any reason why they work better with it off?
It has been observed by members, that extended hours can have "unintended consequences" on the behavior of some indicators.
An example of one issue is when a stock has no pre-market data. That part of the data feed will be filled with "not numbers". If your script has functions that attempt to mathematically interact with "not numbers", there can be problems.
The standard advice that you will read in most of the custom studies posted on this forum is to use w/ extended hours off when possible.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

It has been observed by members, that extended hours can have "unintended consequences" on the behavior of some indicators.
An example of one issue is when a stock has no pre-market data. That part of the data feed will be filled with "not numbers". If your script has functions that attempt to mathematically interact with "not numbers", there can be problems.
The standard advice that you will read in most of the custom studies posted on this forum is to use w/ extended hours off when possible.
Is it suggested to use the chart or scanner with extended hours off or both?

Is it suggested to use the chart or scanner with extended hours off or both?

There is nothing in the script that would prevent using daily and weekly timeframes:
k6Lmajx.png
Hi @MerryDay I feel a little dumb to keep asking you but I just wanted to make sure that I understand.

I gather my favorite stocks that have had the best dips (OMG so many of them this week!) and I watch my 1hr chart (or whatever is your favorite middle time-frame)... It gives me a heads up that there is a good reversal setting up. Once the setup, is a go on my 4hr chart. I look to my shortest time-frame to come into line.

Is the above picture indicative of what you were saying? I know that you look at your middle time-frame for a good reversal setup (where you get all three indicators lining up on that middle time-frame), then you look at your longest time-frame and once thats a setup then you look at your shortest to come into line. When I look at the above example I am getting a little lost. Can you please highlight what you're referring to above or provide me with 3 pictures that illustrate this? Again sorry to keep bothering you. Thank you.

Hi @MerryDay I feel a little dumb to keep asking you but I just wanted to make sure that I understand.

Is the above picture indicative of what you were saying? I know that you look at your middle time-frame for a good reversal setup (where you get all three indicators lining up on that middle time-frame), then you look at your longest time-frame and once thats a setup then you look at your shortest to come into line. When I look at the above example I am getting a little lost. Can you please highlight what you're referring to above or provide me with 3 pictures that illustrate this? Again sorry to keep bothering you. Thank you.
There is no wrong way, to get there… You want whatever three time periods you have chosen to line up. Line up your longest first or your shortest first. Up to you. Some people don't use three time periods. They use two. And if the third is approaching, they do it that way.
In this chat, Mobius was attempting to educate. He is saying, to maximize your potential, you need to look at multiple timeframes and support / resistance, before entering a trade no matter what your strategy.

There is no wrong way, to get there… You want whatever three time periods you have chosen to line up. Line up your longest first or your shortest first. Up to you. Some people don't use three time periods. They use two. And if the third is approaching, they do it that way.
In this chat, Mobius was attempting to educate. He is saying, to maximize your potential, you need to look at multiple timeframes and support / resistance, before entering a trade no matter what your strategy.
Ok thanks. I was trying to clarify what time-frame do you specifically pull the trigger on.

The 1 HR chart on 1/24 at 3:30pm, price is pivoting off of support (blue time line), Volume Wave is has turned positive and the RSI is crossing the trigger line.

The 4hr chart doesn't set up until 1/26 at 9:30am where all 3 indicators are lined up.

The 15M chart the price is in the middle, the Volume Wave is positive and the RSI is the resistance area (red)

So how would you personally trade this scenario? If I look at 1HR it's golden. But then I have to wait a while for the 4HR to begin setup and I guess I am getting mostly confused when I look at the 15M chart as far as to where I make my entry.

If you could please break it down for me I would appreciate it. Again I am new to this and to read and understand this is one thing, but then to visualize it and execute is a total other animal. Thank you @MerryDay

If you could please break it down for me I would appreciate it. Again I am new to this and to read and understand this is one thing, but then to visualize it and execute is a total other animal. Thank you @MerryDay
You don't seem to be understanding what Mobius is saying. Stack all 18 time aggregations in the grid so you can flip through them.
The point of this strategy is that you can see the momentum grow. Whether you look backwards, forwards, or sideways.
You want all the timeframes up to and including the timeframe that you are trading to be positive.

But, we don't want to look at 18 time frames so we pick three. Start with shorter timeframes (maybe 2min, 5min, 10min) and get comfortable with seeing the pattern of all your chosen timeframes as being "go".

The point of this strategy is that the trend has the momentum to carry forward a profitable trade.
IF YOU LOSE THE positive PATTERN, on your lower timeframe... You don't have a tradable trend.
This is a really really simple strategy. The momentum has to have consistently built on the lower timeframes. Then you can find entry on your trading timeframe.

Last edited:
You don't seem to be understanding what Mobius is saying. Stack all 18 time aggregations in the grid so you can flip through them.
The point of this strategy is that you can see the momentum grow. Whether you look backwards, forwards, or sideways.
You want all the timeframes up to and including the timeframe that you are trading to be positive.

But, we don't want to look at 18 time frames so we pick three. Start with shorter timeframes (maybe 2min, 5min, 10min) and get comfortable with seeing the pattern of all your chosen timeframes as being "go".

The point of this strategy is that the trend has the momentum to carry forward a profitable trade.
IF YOU LOSE THE positive PATTERN, on your lower timeframe... You don't have a tradable trend.
This is a really really simple strategy. The momentum has to have consistently built on the lower timeframes. Then you can find entry on your trading timeframe.
Ok thank you for your help. I was reviewing yours and Mobius's notes and I am assuming that this is the ideal setup. (pic) I used your trend pivot scanner set to 4HR time-frame and TSAT popped up. When I looked at the 4HR time-frame at 1:30 pm it was just setting up and then when I checked the 1HR time-frame and the 15Min time-frame they also had all three indicators positive...so I am guessing that would of been the ideal entry point and the type of set up you were conveying to me. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thank you for your help. I was reviewing yours and Mobius's notes and I am assuming that this is the ideal setup. (pic) I used your trend pivot scanner set to 4HR time-frame and TSAT popped up. When I looked at the 4HR time-frame at 1:30 pm it was just setting up and then when I checked the 1HR time-frame and the 15Min time-frame they also had all three indicators positive...so I am guessing that would of been the ideal entry point and the type of set up you were conveying to me. Thank you.
You have the right idea. But you can't trade indicators blindly. Looking for bullish setups on a bearish day like yesterday, doesn't usually work out well.

You have the right idea. But you can't trade indicators blindly. Looking for bullish setups on a bearish day like yesterday, doesn't usually work out well.
Thanks I appreciate it :) I will keep that in mind when looking for future setups.

Great conversation, and I get the concept of watching the smaller time frames building momentum, but I thought we also don’t want to trade against a higher time frame that’s not setting up the same as the time frame we are trading. Thx for any advice.

I've been using this as a scalping strategy on /YM the past couple weeks on a 1-min chart. I know that isn't it's 100% intended purpose, but it works so well. I've never been more consistent with my trades. Just 1 mini contract at a time, entering if the previous bar closes within the shaded region AND when price breaches the STO/BTO levels, taking profits at the STO_RO and BTO_RO levels has been doing wonders for me. The second part of the strategy (letting another contract ride) is a little too fast-paced for me to set up the risk management appropriately on a 1-min chart so I'll be looking at higher timeframes for that. Just shooting from the hip, but I'd say I'm hitting about 75-80% of all the trades.
you got discord?

Mobius Volume Waves, Trend Pivots and RSI Laguerre​

This strategy is based on Mobius's TOS chat found on JohnnyQuotron's OneNote
View attachment 953
Mobius states that the three indicators should be positive, on three timeframes. With each timeframe agreeing sequentially, one SOON AFTER another.
Which timeframes you ask?
Here is a summary of how to determine what timeframes to use:
https://www.babypips.com/learn/forex/time-frame-combinations

Shared Chart Link: http://tos.mx/VT8dkRc
Find out more about these indicators:
Mobius Trend Pivots: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/trend-pivot-indicator-by-mobius.1631/
Mobius Volume Waves: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/mobius-volume-waves-for-thinkorswim.8038/#post-76591
RSI Laguerre: https://usethinkscript.com/threads/rsi-laguerre-with-fractal-energy-for-thinkorswim.116/

Below is an example of the three indicators agreeing on the 15min timeframe.
  • Price is bouncing up off of support
  • Positive volume wave
  • RSI is crossing above oversold
What happens next?
  • We want to now wait until all three are in agreement on the 1hr timeframe
  • Once that happens, we wait until we have agreement on the 4hr timeframe. At which time, Mobius states you have an established trend.

View attachment 987
View attachment 962
@MerryDay how would I make a scan just for the RSI Laguerre part for when the RSI is crossing above the 0.25 line? I tried loading the "shared_shared_RSI_Laguerre" script into a new scan, with RSI set to cross above and then value of 0.25 and within 1 bar and also 2 bars and still no luck.

@MerryDay how would I make a scan just for the RSI Laguerre part for when the RSI is crossing above the 0.25 line? I tried loading the "shared_shared_RSI_Laguerre" script into a new scan, with RSI set to cross above and then value of 0.25 and within 1 bar and also 2 bars and still no luck.
The scanning script is the 2nd script in the 1st post of RSI Laguerre thread. The link is in the top post of this thread.
In order to troubleshoot the issues. We need to be able to see what you are seeing. So we need you to post the following:
  1. What code did you copy&paste? Even if you think it is the same as the one on the forum. We need to see yours. Maybe the issue is that you missed part of the code when you created the study. Copy&Paste YOUR code into your post.
  2. Provide a screen grab of the wonky results. Make sure to grab the whole chart or scan or watchlist code etc.. so we can see the aggregations, what stock, and all your settings so we can try to replicate your results and correct them.
After you post the above information, I am sure someone will be able to point you toward possible solutions.
Unsure of how to upload screenshots to the forum, Here are directions.

The scanning script is the 2nd script in the 1st post of RSI Laguerre thread. The link is in the top post of this thread.
In order to troubleshoot the issues. We need to be able to see what you are seeing. So we need you to post the following:
  1. What code did you copy&paste? Even if you think it is the same as the one on the forum. We need to see yours. Maybe the issue is that you missed part of the code when you created the study. Copy&Paste YOUR code into your post.
  2. Provide a screen grab of the wonky results. Make sure to grab the whole chart or scan or watchlist code etc.. so we can see the aggregations, what stock, and all your settings so we can try to replicate your results and correct them.
After you post the above information, I am sure someone will be able to point you toward possible solutions.
Unsure of how to upload screenshots to the forum, Here are directions.
Hi @MerryDay ...I am currently using, and like, the exact setup that you shared in post #1 of this thread.

1. Below is a copy of the script that you shared for your chart setup in post #1 of this thread:

# TheoTrade RSI in Laguerre Time Self Adjusting With Fractal Energy
# Mobius
# V03.06.15.2016
# Both Fractal Energy and RSI are plotted. RSI in cyan and FE in yellow. Look for trend exhaustion in the FE and a reversal of RSI or Price compression in FE and an RSI reversal.

declare lower;

#Inputs:
input nFE = 13;#hint nFE: length for Fractal Energy calculation.

# Variables:
def o;
def h;
def l;
def c;
def CU1;
def CU2;
def CU;
def CD1;
def CD2;
def CD;
def L0;
def L1;
def L2;
def L3;
plot RSI;
plot OS;
plot OB;

# Calculations
o = (open + close[1]) / 2;
h = Max(high, close[1]);
l = Min(low, close[1]);
c = (o + h + l + close) / 4;
plot gamma = Log(Sum((Max(high, close[1]) - Min(low, close[1])), nFE) /
(Highest(high, nFE) - Lowest(low, nFE)))
/ Log(nFE);
gamma.SetDefaultColor(Color.Yellow);
L0 = (1 – gamma) * c + gamma * L0[1];
L1 = -gamma * L0 + L0[1] + gamma * L1[1];
L2 = -gamma * L1 + L1[1] + gamma * L2[1];
L3 = -gamma * L2 + L2[1] + gamma * L3[1];
if L0 >= L1
then {
CU1 = L0 - L1;
CD1 = 0;
} else {
CD1 = L1 - L0;
CU1 = 0;
}
if L1 >= L2
then {
CU2 = CU1 + L1 - L2;
CD2 = CD1;
} else {
CD2 = CD1 + L2 - L1;
CU2 = CU1;
}
if L2 >= L3
then {
CU = CU2 + L2 - L3;
CD = CD2;
} else {
CU = CU2;
CD = CD2 + L3 - L2;
}

RSI = if CU + CD <> 0 then CU / (CU + CD) else 0;
RSI.SetDefaultColor(Color.Cyan);
OS = if IsNaN(close) then Double.NaN else 0.2;
OS.SetDefaultColor(Color.Gray);
OS.HideBubble();
OS.HideTitle();
OB = if IsNaN(close) then Double.NaN else 0.8;
OB.SetDefaultColor(Color.Gray);
OB.HideBubble();
OB.HideTitle();
plot FEh = if isNaN(close) then double.nan else .618;
FEh.SetStyle(Curve.Long_Dash);
FEh.HideBubble();
FEh.SetDefaultColor(Color.Dark_Gray);
FEh.HideTitle();
plot FEl = if isNaN(close) then double.nan else .382;
FEl.SetStyle(Curve.Long_Dash);
FEl.SetDefaultColor(Color.Dark_Gray);
FEl.HideBubble();
FEl.HideTitle();
AddCloud(0, OS, Color.Green, Color.Green);
AddCloud(OB, 1, Color.Red, Color.Red);
#Alert(RSI crosses below .9, "", Alert.BAR, Sound.Bell);
#Alert(RSI crosses above .1, "", Alert.BAR, Sound.Bell);

# End Code RSI_Laguerre Self Adjusting with Fractal Energy

1. This is the 1st script from post #1 of the RSI Laguerre thread by @markos :

# RSI-Laguerre Self Adjusting With Fractal Energy Gaussian Price Filter # Mobius # V01.12.2016
# Both Fractal Energy and RSI are plotted. RSI in cyan and FE in yellow. Look for trend exhaustion in the FE and a reversal of RSI or Price compression in FE and an RSI reversal.
# Rename Study to RSILg_FE_Gssn1 for compatability with Scanning
# Adjusted for compatability with scanner based on Mobius' notes. 7-14-19 Markos

declare lower;

#Inputs:
input nFE = 8;#hint nFE: length for Fractal Energy calculation.
input AlertOn = no;
input Glength = 13;
input betaDev = 8;
input data = close;

def w = (2 * Double.Pi / Glength);
def beta = (1 - Cos(w)) / (Power(1.414, 2.0 / betaDev) - 1 );
def alpha = (-beta + Sqrt(beta * beta + 2 * beta));
def Go = Power(alpha, 4) * open +
4 * (1 – alpha) * Go[1] – 6 * Power( 1 - alpha, 2 ) * Go[2] +
4 * Power( 1 - alpha, 3 ) * Go[3] - Power( 1 - alpha, 4 ) * Go[4];
def Gh = Power(alpha, 4) * high +
4 * (1 – alpha) * Gh[1] – 6 * Power( 1 - alpha, 2 ) * Gh[2] +
4 * Power( 1 - alpha, 3 ) * Gh[3] - Power( 1 - alpha, 4 ) * Gh[4];
def Gl = Power(alpha, 4) * low +
4 * (1 – alpha) * Gl[1] – 6 * Power( 1 - alpha, 2 ) * Gl[2] +
4 * Power( 1 - alpha, 3 ) * Gl[3] - Power( 1 - alpha, 4 ) * Gl[4];
def Gc = Power(alpha, 4) * data +
4 * (1 – alpha) * Gc[1] – 6 * Power( 1 - alpha, 2 ) * Gc[2] +
4 * Power( 1 - alpha, 3 ) * Gc[3] - Power( 1 - alpha, 4 ) * Gc[4];
# Variables:
def o;
def h;
def l;
def c;
def CU1;
def CU2;
def CU;
def CD1;
def CD2;
def CD;
def L0;
def L1;
def L2;
def L3;
plot RSI;
plot OS;
plot OB;
plot M;

# Calculations
o = (Go + Gc[1]) / 2;
h = Max(Gh, Gc[1]);
l = Min(Gl, Gc[1]);
c = (o + h + l + Gc) / 4;
plot gamma = Log(Sum((Max(Gh, Gc[1]) - Min(Gl, Gc[1])), nFE) /
(Highest(gh, nFE) - Lowest(Gl, nFE)))
/ Log(nFE);
gamma.SetDefaultColor(Color.Yellow);
L0 = (1 – gamma) * Gc + gamma * L0[1];
if L0 >= L1
then {
CU1 = L0 - L1;
CD1 = 0;
} else {
CD1 = L1 - L0;
CU1 = 0;
}
if L1 >= L2
then {
CU2 = CU1 + L1 - L2;
CD2 = CD1;
} else {
CD2 = CD1 + L2 - L1;
CU2 = CU1;
}
if L2 >= L3
then {
CU = CU2 + L2 - L3;
CD = CD2;
} else {
CU = CU2;
CD = CD2 + L3 - L2;
}

RSI.SetDefaultColor(Color.Cyan);
OS = if IsNaN(c) then Double.NaN else 0.2;
OS.SetDefaultColor(Color.RED);
OS.HideBubble();
OS.HideTitle();
OB = if IsNaN(c) then Double.NaN else 0.8;
OB.SetDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);
OB.HideBubble();
OB.HideTitle();
M = if IsNaN(c) then Double.NaN else 0.5;
M.SetStyle(Curve.long_dash);
M.SetDefaultColor(Color.Gray);
M.HideBubble();
M.HideTitle();
plot FEh = if isNaN(c) then double.nan else .618;
FEh.SetStyle(Curve.short_DASH);
FEh.HideBubble();
FEh.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
FEh.HideTitle();
plot FEl = if isNaN(c) then double.nan else .382;
FEl.SetStyle(Curve.short_DASH);
FEl.SetDefaultColor(Color.GRAY);
FEl.HideBubble();
FEl.HideTitle();
AddCloud(0, OS, Color.RED, Color.RED);
AddCloud(OB, 1, Color.Green, Color.Green);
Alert(AlertOn and RSI crosses below .8, "", Alert.BAR, Sound.Bell);
Alert(AlertOn and RSI crosses above .2, "", Alert.BAR, Sound.Bell);

# End Code RSI_Laguerre Self Adjusting with Fractal Energy

In previous post #36 of this thread I asked you how do I make a "SCAN" for "YOUR" RSI Laguerre script that came along with "YOUR" shared chart in post #1 of this thread.

You referred me to post #2 "SCAN" of the RSI Laguerre thread by @markos and here is that script:

# Scan for RSI in Laguerre Time With Fractal Energy
# Mobius
# V02.07.2014
# V03.06.15.2016
#Scan
#Inputs:
input nFE = 8;
# Variables:
def o;
def h;
def l;
def c;
def CU1;
def CU2;
def CU;
def CD1;
def CD2;
def CD;
def L0;
def L1;
def L2;
def L3;
def RSI;
# Calculations
h = Max(high, close[1]);
l = Min(low, close[1]);
def gamma = Log(Sum((Max(high, close[1]) - Min(low, close[1])), nFE) /
/ Log(nFE);
if L0 >= L1
then {
CU1 = L0 - L1;
CD1 = 0;
} else {
CD1 = L1 - L0;
CU1 = 0;
}
if L1 >= L2
then {
CU2 = CU1 + L1 - L2;
CD2 = CD1;
} else {
CD2 = CD1 + L2 - L1;
CU2 = CU1;
}
if L2 >= L3
then {
CU = CU2 + L2 - L3;
CD = CD2;
} else {
CU = CU2;
CD = CD2 + L3 - L2;
}
# Note Comment-Out (#) whichever scan not being used.
# Long Scan
plot Long = RSI crosses above .2 and gamma > .6;
# Short Scan
#plot Short = RSI crosses below .8 and gamma > .6;

Please see below pictures of YOUR chart setup "shared_shared_LaguerreTime" along with @markos "RSILg_FE_Gssn1: indicator on the bottom of the chart picture.

I want to use your RSI Laguerre script that came with the chart that your shared on post #1 of this thread.
Your RSI Laguerre and Markos's RSI Laguerre are different and that is why I am getting different results.

When I use Marko's scan with your LaguerreTime indicator that your shared in post #1 the RSI CYAN BLUE line is off. If you look at the pictures above Markos RSILg_FE_Gssn1 RSI CYAN BLUE line is crossing within 2 bars whereas your shared_shared_rsiLaguerreTime is about 4 bars behind.

How do I use your shared_shared_rsiLaguerreTime in a scan??

Thanks and sorry for the wasted real estate.

@MerryDay I mimicked the scan from the RSI Laguerre thread and changed it to your rsi laguerre script but I don't know if I did it correctly. I think it worked! (See pics below.)

#SCAN for Theotrade RSI Laguerre

# TheoTrade RSI in Laguerre Time Self Adjusting With Fractal Energy
# Mobius
# V03.06.15.2016

#Scan
#Inputs:
input nFE = 13;#hint nFE: length for Fractal Energy calculation.

# Variables:
def o;
def h;
def l;
def c;
def CU1;
def CU2;
def CU;
def CD1;
def CD2;
def CD;
def L0;
def L1;
def L2;
def L3;
def RSI;

# Calculations
h = Max(high, close[1]);
l = Min(low, close[1]);
def gamma = Log(Sum((Max(high, close[1]) - Min(low, close[1])), nFE) /
/ Log(nFE);
if L0 >= L1
then {
CU1 = L0 - L1;
CD1 = 0;
} else {
CD1 = L1 - L0;
CU1 = 0;
}
if L1 >= L2
then {
CU2 = CU1 + L1 - L2;
CD2 = CD1;
} else {
CD2 = CD1 + L2 - L1;
CU2 = CU1;
}
if L2 >= L3
then {
CU = CU2 + L2 - L3;
CD = CD2;
} else {
CU = CU2;
CD = CD2 + L3 - L2;
}

# Note Comment-Out (#) whichever scan not being used.
# Long Scan
plot Long = RSI crosses above .2 and gamma > .6;
# Short Scan
#plot Short = RSI crosses below .8 and gamma > .6;

@MerryDay last question.

I got it to work by inserting the above script (post #39) into the thinkscript editor (see picture)

but it did not work (no scan results) if I tried to use the condition wizard then add the scan study and then click on true.

How can I get that to work by way of the condition wizard?

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
497 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back