Repaints Hull Moving Average Turning Points and Concavity (2nd Derivatives)

Repaints
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious. What time frame and HMA setting does everybody like to use with this?

I see the OP likes 20 mins TF and 55 setting.

Hi @mashume would love to get your thoughts with the new studies available out of the box in the April release of TOS; compare it against the custom studies and innovations in this post.

LeavittConvolutionAcceleration

The Leavitt Convolution Acceleration study is a technical indicator designed by Jay A. Leavitt, PhD. Based on linear regression, this indicator estimates the momentum of the projected price change.

LeavittConvolution

The Leavitt Convolution study is a technical indicator designed by Jay A. Leavitt, PhD. It calculates the extrapolation of the extrapolated price value for the upcoming bars.

It's an interesting comparison. The Leavitt Convolution and Acceleration are strikingly similar. I don't find significant differences in entry / exit signals, perhaps a bar this way or that but no pattern thus far. perhaps one is better at ranging securities and one better at trending, but I haven't studied it that closely yet.

It's also interesting to note the similarities between the Leavitt Convolution Acceleration and the built in AccelerationDecelerationOsc.

Mathematically, I think there are some really cool ideas going around at the moment. Jay Leavitt has done some cool things, and I knew I couldn't be the only one to implement ideas like turning points as entry/exit signals. In fact, I think the Hull MA was designed around using turning points for signls, not tops and bottoms. Computing power is opening all kinds of mathematical windows as it becomes feasible to do complex studies in real time on intra day charts. Exciting times my friends.

B9EgYDN.png

Happy Trading
-mashume

Last edited:
Just curious, and a question to anyone willing to comment, with wide ATR, headlines you're not seeing etc, how much risk, dollar or point wise are you taking on these positions?

Just curious, and a question to anyone willing to comment, with wide ATR, headlines you're not seeing etc, how much risk, dollar or point wise are you taking on these positions?
@codydog - I do not trade if the ATR I am using is greater than a 200 bar "Percent Rank" of 80%. I have found 80% to be above my risk acceptance. Sure - I miss some good moves but I do not mind because I view the potential move too high risk. I have found that high percent rank of the ATR is often followed by my inability to predict the move correctly.

This is the opposite of what many do but seems to fit my personality.

Personally, I'm risking 8 ticks/2 points/$100 scalping S&P 500 futures. Once it moves in my favor I start to trail. With a single contract, 20-40 points/hr possible for me. Out of the 23 trades I took this morning, 18 were winners and 5 losers. $487.50 was the largest win and the largest loss was $100 (8-ticks). All done in an hour.

Last edited:
@mc01439 - I like that idea, nice!

@tradegeek - Very impressive!

Personally, i tend to run tighter stops, like 10-12 ticks on es, then if I build up a buffer, widen out a bit. Some of the moves whiplashed me out, but, thats the market.

Thanks for your answers!

I want to thank you for this script. It's been very helpful in identifying the turning points. I've been using the 2/21/2020 version. I can't seem to get the alerts to work though.

I have these lines at the end of the script:

# Added Alerts 2020-02-23
Alert(condition = buy, text = "Buy", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Chimes);
Alert(condition = sell, text = "Sell", "alert type" = Alert.BAR, sound = Sound.Chimes);

Personally, I'm risking 8 ticks/2 points/$100 scalping S&P 500 futures. Once it moves in my favor I start to trail. With a single contract, 20-40 points/hr possible for me. Out of the 23 trades I took this morning, 18 were winners and 5 losers. $487.50 was the largest win and the largest loss was $100 (8-ticks). All done in an hour.
Would you mind elaborating further on your scalping strategy/setup? thanks you ;)

@mashume
Hello! So I've been using this quite a bit recently and was wondering... Do you happen to still have the code to the "LOWER" indicator for initial release? I'm using the initial release of the UPPER indicator and have found more success with that but I only see the code for the V3 of the lower one.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

@mashume
Hello! So I've been using this quite a bit recently and was wondering... Do you happen to still have the code to the "LOWER" indicator for initial release? I'm using the initial release of the UPPER indicator and have found more success with that but I only see the code for the V3 of the lower one.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
I'll take a look. Chances are it's somewhere around here.

@JB7 I use it quite a bit to confirm my other signals. It's usually spot on. I like it a lot. I concur with what was mentioned above. We're all different so we're gonna pull the trigger differently so I use it in my own personal way. It doesn't work well in channels, but I don't know what indicator does. I paid dearly for my trading education having lost quite a bit in my early years, but I survived and now I'm consistently profitable. It was more about learning who I was rather than the market. I can highly recommend this indicator in parallel with a confirming signal or good 'ol price action if you have the experience.

Well said. What are other indicators/signals that you used to confirm your entry/exit if you don't mind to share? TIA

Thanks for the study. Can you post the actual scan code? I am unable to load the scan with the code
Code:
Concavity("hma length" = 55)."buy" is true within 1 bars

Once I posted the code to the THINKSCRIPT EDITOR, it gave me the following errors.
no such function: Concavity at 1:1
No such function: Concavity at 1:1
Invalid statement: Unexpected part of function call at 1:30
Invalid statement: Unexpected part of function call at 1:30

SCANS
AFTER loading the new versions, and being careful with the names. %-\ You should be able to create new filter scans.
In the scans tab
:

I am lost right there. What do you mean of "being careful with the names. %-\"

Thanks for all your sharing and i hope you don't mind I am asking.

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that it seems I can't locate the original version of the lower script. I can try to recreate it, but you'll know it if you find one that uses a displace function.

Perhaps someone in the community at large still has it.
Isn't it on page 1? listed under lower study?

From my experience, with very short time periods such as 1 and 2 minutes, there are way too many inflection points indicated

Would you mind elaborating further on your scalping strategy/setup? thanks you ;)

Out of the 14 trades tonight on the S&P 500 futures, 11 wins 2 losses and 1 breakeven. Largest winner $300 and largest loser was $112.50. I should have done better because I missed a 10+ point run up when I stepped away to do something and I didn’t trail my trade properly and gotten out of many of them a bit too soon.

I use the Swing Hi Swing Lo indicator to let me know potential swing points. I use turning points on HMA Concavity Divergence for confirmation. Aggressive entry would be when the turning point appears. Conservative entry would be at the close of the bar with the turning point(signal bar), 50% of the turning point bar, or any price within the acceptable risk parameters. Stop would be a tick or two from the high/low of swing point or the signal bar depending on where my entry is or 8 ticks from my entry.

Since there can be many inflection points on smaller time frame as someone mentioned, I use a trailing stop and once I’m in the trade I should not care about other inflection points after that until I hit my target or my stop takes me out. Once out of the trade, wait for the next swing point and entry.

I’m having such great success with this that I’m getting this automated in Ninjatrader 8.

By the way, same concept can be use with the Ultimate Breakout Indicator for stops and targets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.