High Tight Flag Scanner (Leif Soreide) For ThinkOrSwim

prolab

Hi Everyone!

Leif Soreide posted his HTF scan for free but this is only for StockCharts.com. Can anyone please transcribe it to TOS or is there a post for it where someone else did it?

The written code is in his Youtube video

Thank you! I didn't type the code since TOS is different and you cannot just copy paste so the video and the image is for reference when somebody types it in TOS' language.

Let us know if that works and thanks again!

Hi Everyone!

Leif Soreide posted his HTF scan for free but this is only for StockCharts.com. Can anyone please transcribe it to TOS or is there a post for it where someone else did it?
Ruby:
# High Tight Flag

#Copy Paste into custom scan window

#Slope of 200 SMA 10 days apart > 0
(SimpleMovingAvg(length = 200)-SimpleMovingAvg(length = 200)[10])/10 > 0

and
# Volume moderation
# Slope of 50 SMA Volume 10 days apart < 0
(SimpleMovingAvg(length = 50, price = VOLUME)-SimpleMovingAvg(length = 50, price = VOLUME)[10])/10 < 0

and
# Close > 50 SMA and 50 SMA > 200 SMA
SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 50)."SMA" is less than or equal to close and SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 200)."SMA" is less than or equal to close and SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 50)."SMA" is greater than or equal to SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 200)."SMA"

and
# Price change over 60 bars is atleast 50%
 Close / Close[60] > 1.5

and
# limits results to tighter stop location
ATR() / close < 0.08

and
# Volatility moderation
# Slope of ATR14 10 days apart < 0
(ATR()-ATR()[10])/10 < 0

and
# 8 week price change is greater than 90%
close > Close[40] * 1.9

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go:

# High Tight Flag
#
#Copy Paste into custom scan window

#Slope of 200 SMA 10 days apart > 0
(SimpleMovingAvg(length = 200)-SimpleMovingAvg(length = 200)[10])/10 > 0

and
# Volume moderation
# Slope of 50 SMA Volume 10 days apart < 0
(SimpleMovingAvg(length = 50, price = VOLUME)-SimpleMovingAvg(length = 50, price = VOLUME)[10])/10 < 0

and
# Close > 50 SMA and 50 SMA > 200 SMA
SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 50)."SMA" is less than or equal to close and SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 200)."SMA" is less than or equal to close and SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 50)."SMA" is greater than or equal to SimpleMovingAvg("length" = 200)."SMA"

and
# Price change over 60 bars is atleast 50%
Close / Close[60] > 1.5

and
# limits results to tighter stop location
ATR() / close < 0.08

and
# Volatility moderation
# Slope of ATR14 10 days apart < 0
(ATR()-ATR()[10])/10 < 0

and
# 8 week price change is greater than 90%
close > Close[40] * 1.9
Thank you for doing this! Could you mind sharing the Tos.mx link? For some reason I am unable to import it to the TOS scanner manually. Thanks again!

Thank you for doing this! Could you mind sharing the Tos.mx link? For some reason I am unable to import it to the TOS scanner manually. Thanks again!

Here ya go.

https://tos.mx/L7zBBgS

I tried running this with tabs extended hours (5m) & Daily tab, nothing is coming up. Unless is this specifically used for active live searches?

Here ya go.

https://tos.mx/L7zBBgS

I tried running this with tabs extended hours (5m) & Daily tab, nothing is coming up. Unless is this specifically used for active live searches?
Works fine on daily check below results for today: GPOR, JILL, HITI
and also works on weekly. Ideally the scan should work on all time frames but might require some tweaks for intraday.

Do you have experience trading it? does it look right to you as for the results?
My only concern is that there aren't as many results for HTF as I would expect... maybe the market needs to be changed from NASAQ to S&P and and Russel?

I urge anyone who finds interest in this scan to improve it, optimize it, backtest it,.... this is the most successful pattern
according to the Bukowski studies that you can use. It will work until it's flooded with users, but implement
it early into your education and become an expert....
Agreed. HTFs are a rare but powerful formation. While the current script for the scanner appears decent, it is missing some strong HTFs that are currently forming, most notably AMC.

Agreed. HTFs are a rare but powerful formation. While the current script for the scanner appears decent, it is missing some strong HTFs that are currently forming, most notably AMC.
Many choices are made eyeballing charts with strong momentum scans....

I think I remember he said in the video that this is the script but there is more to it so maybe he has a continuation to better identify more names?

I urge anyone who finds interest in this scan to improve it, optimize it, backtest it,.... this is the most successful pattern
according to the Bukowski studies that you can use. It will work until it's flooded with users, but implement
it early into your education and become an expert....
This was back in the 1990s. The high tight flag doesn't work like it used to. Like you said, it was flooded with too many people and stopped working. It is currently rank 43.

Thank you, let's throw that one away..
ybm58GR.png
I would. It might work 20-30% of the time, so the only way you aren't going to lose huge amounts of money is if you have a stop that you follow no matter what, and you keep trying through taking losses 70%+ of the time.

Great work!! One result on Weekly scan $WK and it looks great. This is not the market for it, wait until the market turns after this correction. The results will be a lot better. Thank you for you work bro!!

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
487 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back