High and Low of previous closing candle

jbennink83

Hello, my dad uses a formula he came up with to watch his stocks. He has to manually do this every day. I have created a study that plots what he does however it tracks every candle and he just wants the Previous days closing candle high and low. At first i put used
# Previous Day Closing Price (PCL)
input aggregationPeriod = AggregationPeriod.DAY;
def close = close(period = aggregationPeriod)[1];
plot previous_close = close;
I pasted this twice and modified to show the high and close but that was not what he wanted. How can I get the high and low for the last candle of the previous day.
This is what i currently have at the moment:

input aggregationPeriod = AggregationPeriod.DAY;
def close = close(period = aggregationPeriod)[1];
input aggregationPeriod2 = AggregationPeriod.DAY;
def high = high (period = aggregationPeriod)[1];
def blue = close;
def green = ((high - close) * .8) + blue;
def yellow = ((green - blue) * .2) + blue;
def red = ((green - yellow) * .8) + blue;

plot theline = blue;
plot theline1 = green;
plot theline2 = yellow;
plot theline3 = red;

homeplate2

VIP
Hi - I am new to investing too. We're doing this for a class in school. So, I was so frustrated I started looking at the individual ticks and I've come up with a pattern after looking at hundreds of ticks that seems to prove out, I think for every candle. For example if you look at a specific candle it has a open, high, low, and close. (O) (H) (L) (C) When I looked at the specifics for each, I found out a pattern that can determine what the next candle is going to be before it shows up. For example if the (O) = x and the the (H), (L), and (C) = the same value then the next candle is going to be down. Also, if the (O) = x and the (H) = x, then both the (L) and the (C) will be < than (O). Opposite of this is when the stock is going up. If the (O) = x and the (H) > x, but the (L) = to the (O) x, then the (C) will be > (O) and the next candle is going up. I have more of these sequences written down and in each case when the (C) is equal to or less than the (O) the next candle will be down. My problem is that I am not a very good code writer but love to look at the detailed analysis. I think if you knew how to write the code and I could feed you more of these parameters maybe we could create some kind of key that will project the next tick and subsequent ticks by just the one previous tick, so that after two ticks we could see that a stock is going up and then we'd know what to do.

Thanks
Sincerely,
homeplate

jbennink83

Hi - I am new to investing too. We're doing this for a class in school. So, I was so frustrated I started looking at the individual ticks and I've come up with a pattern after looking at hundreds of ticks that seems to prove out, I think for every candle. For example if you look at a specific candle it has a open, high, low, and close. (O) (H) (L) (C) When I looked at the specifics for each, I found out a pattern that can determine what the next candle is going to be before it shows up. For example if the (O) = x and the the (H), (L), and (C) = the same value then the next candle is going to be down. Also, if the (O) = x and the (H) = x, then both the (L) and the (C) will be < than (O). Opposite of this is when the stock is going up. If the (O) = x and the (H) > x, but the (L) = to the (O) x, then the (C) will be > (O) and the next candle is going up. I have more of these sequences written down and in each case when the (C) is equal to or less than the (O) the next candle will be down. My problem is that I am not a very good code writer but love to look at the detailed analysis. I think if you knew how to write the code and I could feed you more of these parameters maybe we could create some kind of key that will project the next tick and subsequent ticks by just the one previous tick, so that after two ticks we could see that a stock is going up and then we'd know what to do.

Thanks
Sincerely,
homeplate
I have no problem helping with the code but I'm am new to code in TOS. I have written in other languages so I grasp what TOS is doing but still need to learn more to make more scripts. Once I know how to pick a specific candle and take the value of it then I could write a script for you.

halcyonguy

VIP
if you have for example, a chart of 5 minute candles, and want to find data from the last bar of each day, then the following link will help.
it finds the first and last bar for each day.

https://usethinkscript.com/threads/finding-the-first-and-last-bar-of-the-day-in-thinkorswim.526/

with this, you could add logic to determine the desired day, and use data from just that day.

also, although it is possible to use Fundamental words such as close and high, as a variable name , it could be confusing to others. it might be better to add a descriptive word to the variable name, like prevclose = ....

https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Functions/Fundamentals

https://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/thinkScript/Reserved-Words