/ES Trading Strategy on ThinkorSwim

blakecmathis

blakecmathis

Warehouse
Probably not going to trade tomorrow. Day before thanksgiving with overnight ATH. Would have to be something beautiful for me to jump in. I will keep my news feed active however just in case there is something regarding the trade deal with China. Happy thanksgiving gentlemen!

blakecmathis

blakecmathis

Warehouse
@tomsk The script you suggested is simply just a high/low zig zag that does not show the triangle formations we are looking for. I can draw trend lines all day long looking for M/W patterns. Any knowledgeable trader can do that without drawing trend lines. And I don't need a study to do that for me. What I am looking for is an indicator that can plot exactly what I drew on the 1000t chart over the past two days: simply a triangle formation looking for a breakout. A lot of times the triangle can be forming right in front of your face and you don't even know it. That is what I seek to accomplish here. In the words of Maverick, "You don't have time to think up there. If you think you're dead". The goal in my mind of a triangle formation ON A TICK CHART would be to eliminate hesitation/time. Over the past two days I am 4/4 playing these formations.

T

tomsk

VIP
Warehouse
That message basically directed @J007RMC that someone else did quite a lot of work on patterns and if anyone was interested they might approach the original code writer for assistance as such patterns are rather complex to plot on charts

Last edited:
S

skynetgen

Warehouse
Would be nice to formulate rules for in trend re-entries for strong trending day like today

blakecmathis

blakecmathis

Warehouse
@skynetgen I was thinking the exact same thing man. Picked up a couple quick scalps off some head and shoulders patterns but other than that I've been sitting on the bench watching this play out.

T

tomsk

VIP
Warehouse
Would be nice to formulate rules for in trend re-entries for strong trending day like today
The TICKS and AD are not extreme, reversals can happen anytime
My threshold is +/- 350

blakecmathis

blakecmathis

Warehouse
@tomsk So AD crosses 350 threshold continuation of current trend? Or does +/- 350 indicate reversal?

blakecmathis

blakecmathis

Warehouse
I've had this pulled up on my 30m chart ever since you recommended it but I'm not exactly sure what specific thresholds indicate brotha

blakecmathis

blakecmathis

Warehouse
Damn that was pretty informative. Appreciate it man! @BenTen

T

tomsk

VIP
Warehouse
@tomsk So AD crosses 350 threshold continuation of current trend? Or does +/- 350 indicate reversal?
Trend persists if AD > 350 or < -350
Otherwise we may see choppy or reversals, that is what i've observed

S

skynetgen

Warehouse
My threshold is +/- 350
mmm. Actually I threat it differently. 350-450 tick is perfect strong trend tick range. Its the 850+ spikes which usually signify end of trend
The thing is the volume in first 15 minutes, the weekly setup, the catalyst ( negative PMI) - all was very strong setup for downtrend
And there were opportunites with good RR stops. the whole 950-957 cluster was good if mindset was for continuation.
another decent point was 1017-1020 (not very good though as the trend ran hard smashing into hard support area)

TBH though i was biased for ranged day and expected bounce in expanding tri of 3135- 3140 area. That failed, but it would be good to actually to go for continuation there

p.s. I think though I agree that probably 400+ is better market for stronger overall market trend

Last edited:
T

Talochka

My threshold is +/- 350
HELP!!!
can you please explain what AD are you talking about?
thanks

Last edited:
T

tomsk

VIP
Warehouse
HELP!!!
can you please explain what "3350' and AD are you talking about?
thanks
@Talochka You seem to have a typo. It's 350, and NOT 3350.
This is in reference to the S&P 500 that has a basket of 500 stocks.
AD 350 means that 350 stocks out of the 500 are advancing
AD -350 means that 350 stocks out of the 500 are declining

T

Talochka

@Talochka You seem to have a typo. It's 350, and NOT 3350.
This is in reference to the S&P 500 that has a basket of 500 stocks.
AD 350 means that 350 stocks out of the 500 are advancing
AD -350 means that 350 stocks out of the 500 are declining
thanks for clarifying, also where do you get info on advance decline number

T

tomsk

VIP
Warehouse
@Talochka Load the following on your charts, it will display the AD color coded.
I pulled that out from another study I posted maybe 1-2 weeks ago
Just for you my friend!

Code:
# AD Color Coded
# tomsk
# 12.2.2019

input ADSymb = "$ADSPD";
def AD = if !IsNaN(close(ADSymb)) then close(ADSymb) else AD[1];
AddLabel(1, " AD = " + AD, if AD < -350 then Color.Pink 
                           else if AD > 350 then Color.Cyan 
                           else if between(AD, -250, 250) then Color.White 
                           else Color.Yellow);