Can I run ThinkorSwim on multiple Windows computers?

scott69

Is it possible to log-in to TOS from multiple (or at least two) systems? Several older posts on different sites said either TDA wouldn't allow it, or real time quotes were denied, or it caused problems. Any experiences with this? TIA

tradegeek

2019 Donor
VIP
I'm logged into three devices right now. I have also launched two instances of TOS from the same device before with no problems. In fact, it may even perform better that way due to the limitations of TOS to use multiple cores.

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
I run two instances of TOS on the desktop and another on the laptop. They all are linked up. Works well if you have the resources.
I have way too many detached charts, watchlists, etc.. And will occasionally get a "slow performance" pop-up notice. Not often enough for me to change my ways :)

rad14733

VIP
I always have three systems up and running 24/7... I've also run multiple instances on a single system as well... In fact I'm running two instances on my laptop right now, one for regular trading and one for OnDemand because it's quirky if you have multiple chart windows running and I always have at least 6 - 8 detached windows open for trading...

MMM325

VIP
I apologies in advance for the stupid question, but how do you go about running more than 1 instance? I run windows 10 and I looked online and all I found was that if you hold shift + left click on the tos icon (on desktop) it should open up another instance of tos however it doesn't? I run multiple "detached" charts on multiple monitors and it's starting to get really slow. Any help with a step-by-step instructions on how to run multiple instances of tos will be greatly aprecciated. Thanks in advanced!

MerryDay

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Installing Multiple Instances of ThinkOrSwim (Windows10).
The TOS application must be installed twice in two different directories.
Create two shortcuts and execute each one.

I keep several of my charts, watchlists, scanner on one instance and my main charts, watchlist, detached position statement, and active trader in another. The 2nd instance would not run when I maxed out the memory setups in the sign-in boxes even though I have 32gb of ram. I had to play w/ the ram settings in the sign-in boxes to optimize;
I save different workspace setups for each instance that I swap out depending if it is a bear or bull day and on what strategies I am setting up for.

Supposedly, the rumor is that TOS does not take advantage of dual-core processors therefore multiple instances can possibly improve performance. It did improve my lag but didn't totally solve; especially in the first few minutes after the bell.
HTH

Last edited:

rad14733

VIP
Supposedly, the rumor is that TOS does not take advantage of dual-core processors therefore multiple instances can possibly improve performance.

Correct... TOS will only use one processor regardless of how powerful your CPU happens to be... However, if you were to have an Intel i7 processor, for example, you could run several instances of TOS and perform different tasks with each instance... The only downside is that every instance will be using its own bandwidth to keep everything updated... For this reason I would suggest keeping Charts on just one instance or perhaps two and then have Watchlists or Scans running on another and then Active Trader on yet another...

I just recently switched my trading setup which consists of two monitors on one PC and and All-In-One PC, totaling three screens, so that the All-In-One is my Active Trader PC... This should reduce lag on the system I am actively in trades on, leaving the dual monitor PC for monitoring potential trades and research only... It is my hope that this scenario will increase the speed of my trade entries and exits...

Jtopaz

VIP
TOS allow open multiple instance in different computer at same time.
These are what I find (correct me if I am wrong) and questions hope someone can answer.
1. What is max number of TOS can at same time?
2. All instance have real-time data. Trading & Charting seems normal.
3. Saved conditional order only works on the computer you create (other computer use the saved order cannot triggered). I am not sure alert have same problem.
4. Chart script alert message log only appear in the computer with chart.
5. Saved thinkscript, chart can use in different instance.

Thanks

Last edited:

rad14733

VIP
We already have active topics going on this subject... Perhaps @BenTen can merge this one with an ongoing topic... No need further fragmenting the forums...

@Jtopaz There are a few misunderstandings in your punch-list... Messages will trigger on ALL machines with a specific TDA account open... All custom code is stored on the servers, not just an individual PC... Conditional orders are stored on the TDA servers, not just your PC...

Again, most if not all of this has been discussed in existing topics... 💡

Jtopaz

VIP
@rad14733 Thank replying.
Messages will trigger on ALL machines with a specific TDA account open
Chart alert message only show in the instance running that chart. Other instance won't display.
All custom code is stored on the servers, not just an individual PC
Yes. But sometimes after you update the code in one instance. Other instance need to relogin to see the changes.
Conditional orders are stored on the TDA servers, not just your PC...
Running conditional orders work fine. However, saved conditional order just work on the instance you create it. Other instance use the saved conditional order will not be triggered.

Multiple instance is a very good feature. However, I find it have some undocumented precautions. I just want to write a precaution list for those who want to use multiple instances(or switch account in different computer). Please feel free to leave me message so I can add more to the list.

rad14733

VIP
@Jtopaz Yes, if you make changes on one system you need to logout and login again on all machines so they can read changes saved to the server database by other machines or instances on the same machine... TOS does not dynamically update when changes are made by other machines or instances... That is why I try to get all changes made in the evening so I can exit and restart TOS on my three systems so changes are in effect on all of them...

timing

Installing Multiple Instances of ThinkOrSwim (Windows10).
The TOS application must be installed twice in two different directories.
Create two shortcuts and execute each one.

I keep several of my charts, watchlists, scanner on one instance and my main charts, watchlist, detached position statement, and active trader in another. The 2nd instance would not run when I maxed out the memory setups in the sign-in boxes even though I have 32gb of ram. I had to play w/ the ram settings in the sign-in boxes to optimize;
I save different workspace setups for each instance that I swap out depending if it is a bear or bull day and on what strategies I am setting up for.

Supposedly, the rumor is that TOS does not take advantage of dual-core processors therefore multiple instances can possibly improve performance. It did improve my lag but didn't totally solve; especially in the first few minutes after the bell.
HTH

Is there any setting for this to work out?
I installed TOS on two Windows 10 computers. I would like to show different stock chart on each computer. But, when I change the stock chart on one computer, the chart on the other computer will be changed automatically to the same stock symbol.

* update *
It is figured out: remove the link between all chart windows.

Last edited: