A trend, momentum and cycle Trading System v3.0 (CSA)

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

thanks all - I reserved a earlier post, and will add a module table (that outlines) each of the indicators, we can then post related resources to each and if you all want to expand use and recommended practices we can capture it there or refer to the appropriate post in the forum.

I've started to port the 2.0 codebase to the 3.0 framework, as I port I will update this post:
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/...cycle-trading-system-v3-0-csa.1596/post-14872
With this release each module is self contained, all variables are unique to prevent conflicts, easier of change and management without causing conflict in other modules. this will make it easier to add and remove modules as the collection grows.

It's going to take some rework and restructuring of the current code base; once I've complete the current studies, I will release 3.0 and will continue with the additional requests.

Last edited:
Mobius has written thousands of indicators uses only a couple indicators with the main one being Pivots. Don Kaufman at Theo uses no indicators other than TICK and expected move.

For those that may be interested, I managed to catch some of the recent conversation in the thinkScript lounge where one of the questions asked was the actual indicators Mobius is using for intraday trades as well as his input on lag pertaining to indicators. Good trading folks!

Mobius: I don't use RSIL for intraday trading. All I use intraday is ORB and sometimes Trend Pivots. I'll fool around with a lot of different indicators but by habit it's ORB i actually look at when making an intraday trade. Just the simple fact there's no lag it's just lines as reference for risk and risk off. That's what your really trading intraday is the probability you can get Risk out of a trade

Workspace_9-30: Mobius there are a plethara of indicators that identify market turning points; the question is which have the least lag? You've evaluated most of them, which are your favorites?

Mobius: Nothing is faster than pivots. They have no lag. Trend pivots have 0 lag. Fractal pivots will often use future bars to confirm a pivot. Trend Pivots use a recursive function that plots each new high after the Higher high higher low or the reverse is satisfied. It's trade confirmation is a User Input value. But its plot is real-time

@anycolour I really **** at scripts, but you don't have to understand the scripts behind the indicators unless you have interests to learn. You do need to understand what an indicator does, and the link @tomsk posted accurately describes the classifications. Some people use MACD + RSI as a combination, some don't even use volume, or some uses volume heavily.

There's tons of indicators here provided for by the talented members here, even strategies set up, it's really up to you to derive your own system from the wealth of information here. The talents here cannot trade for you. Ultimately it is risk management that triumphs all.

@tomsk What is the expected move indicator? Does it have to do with options? Is his strategy to use tick as a leading indicator to capture gains off of volatility spikes on options? From the times I've used tick it seems to be really good at predicting volatility.

Interested in hearing how he uses it as well + expected move. I see his free videos, and he never talks about $TICK. Mainly just expected move. Maybe he uses other stuff on his paid stuff?

Just to make sure - We're talking about NYSE $TICK?

Interested in hearing how he uses it as well. Just to make sure - We're talking about NYSE $TICK?
It is probably a 50/50 shot when predicting a market volatility spike using tick on the daily but when it's right it usually makes a lot more (30%-100% gains per trade in the last year) then when its wrong (10%-30% losses per trade in the last year) All I know is it is very hard to be as leading as it is to many of the large spikes.
https://tos.mx/Gc65CS8

Theotrade/Don Kaufman seems to know his stuff. I like his sense of humor. He is obsessive about Expected Move. They're basically pivots, right?

@Playstation Actually I keep track of the weekly EM at the beginning of every week. When I took the reading about 12 hours ago the SPX options expiring 31 JAN 20 had a vol of 15.49%. I just checked the reading, looks like the vol has increased to 16.44%, and thus has expanded quite a bit. It sure is going to be a spectacular trading day today. I'm plan to tune in to Theotrade's live broadcast todayand follow the analysis there, I think Don is going to be real excited!

@anycolour In a way yes, but it will fluctuate rather than the usual pivots which calculates back data to derive day or week or month S and R.
@tomsk Him and his team have huge knowledge on trading, aside from indicators. They've taught me the basics of trading options, and they are always super enthusiastic. The only tiny pick I have, it's that they are really perma bears, which some times isn't too bad if you think about it. Their hedge on HYG is working out now. Don is ALWAYS excited like a bunny who is off for mating season :ROFLMAO::LOL:

@diazlaz or @tomsk for the Bullish scan on post #4...if I wanted to do a Bearish scan would I just change the last line to of code to:

plot scan = sBearish >= threshold;

or

plot scan = sBearish <= threshold;

@HighBredCloud plot scan = sBearish >= threshold;

Porting of the modules continue through out the week, goal to have them all completed by the end of the weekend.
@diazlaz glad I asked about the scanner...thanks. Take your time...I know you're devoting lots of personal time to this...The community will for sure be very grateful for such a great study.

Personally I can't wait to test the new version of the CSA. I hope you will be able to incorporate the studies I mentioned to you before (original Mobius HA SuperTrend, Derivative RSI, Relative Volume, Schaff Trend Cycle). Let me know if you need me to provide the scripts so you can have it all in one place.

Mobius has written extensive trading rules that you can read in the header of the study. For more details you might like to check with Mobius directly in the thinkScript lounge