What is Options Sizzle Index in ThinkorSwim? How to Use It

markos

markos

VIP

Sizzle Indexes

Here are two screenshots stitched together to show the option based sizzle indexes for a watchlist. 10/22/19

Please note that the “stock sizzle” which is not shown here, and only available on desktop, is adjustable by number of days.

The option sizzle indexes are set to show, in percentage terms, what the volume in the options market are trading vs their 5 day moving average.
(The 5 days are not changeable.)

Let’s take Microsoft as an example. At the time of this screenshot, Microsoft traded 2.314 times more option volume than it had the previous 5 days. What that 5 day amount was is all relative.

The number of Calls traded was 3.039 times the 5 day average of MSFT Calls.
The number of Puts traded was 1.127 times the 5 day average of MSFT Puts.

It is important to remember that these are just clues as to what is going on in the option market. We do know that MSFT options were trading in higher volume than they were in the previous 5 days. We also know that there was much more activity in Call Options than there was in Put Options.

Why? We don’t know. If we did, we’d be Gazillionaires!
We also don’t know from these indexes whether it was buying or selling of these option contracts. Again, refer to the previous sentence.

Now COP: What I think I can tell is in the COP options there were 1.238 in Calls vs 0.565 in Puts traded AND the stock was up 2.77% for the day.

If the stock is up a large percentage, it makes sense to me that Call option volume would be higher as well. Whether BOT or SOLD, I would tend to look into the option chain and see if there is something to act on. What, exactly, is up to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RDMercer

To tag along with Sizzle we have zero idea if there are spreads on of any kind either. All you have is an idea of interest v 5 days. Most large option moves do not have alternate straddles or spreads. If somebody —- especially big dinero —- knows something they aren’t wasting money on the other side of a position. Plus allot of large buys are camouflaged ... buys are spread out. I’ve used options as a proxy for owning individual equity shares based off a well known pattern like C&H or MeasuredMove backed by a Sizzle scan and studies with decent results. All the best.

N

nervo88

Hi Guys !!!
I see some of you using the stock sizzle in TOS.
But I cant find it in TOS , I see only the stock index.

It was removed or something ?

BenTen

BenTen

Administrative
Staff
VIP
@nervo88 What is exactly is the "stock sizzle" that you're looking for?

According to ThinkorSwim, the Sizzle Index "allows you to find stock symbols that currently see an increase in the number of options traded compared to the last five days’ average."

You can learn more about it here.