Strong Pivots For ThinkOrSwim

Chemmy

Hey all, I made a pivot study based off of an interesting idea I saw on TradingView which filters out "weak" pivots, and instead only tries to select stronger pivots based on more extreme/volatile action. In addition to the usual pivot or swing high/low logic that looks for the highest high and lowest low within X number of bars, this indicator also has an added ATR multiplier tacked on top of the average price within a set period, so pivots should generally only be established from strong price action.

Here is QQQ from 8/14/23, as you can see there were existing pivots from the prior trading day that acted both as support right off open and then a solid resistance break after. Then the new pivot that forms at the end of the morning run acts as a strong resistance for the rest of the day:
1692235810146.png

Another great example of how this can be used is from today, 8/16/23 -- Again, the morning resistance holds strong for a triple top and the support pivots hold solid as well for a breakdown play as well as a double bottom:
1692236079245.png

In the code, I've added functionality for all time frames, as well as a filter for pivots to only form within regular trading hours and more. I don't believe that it "repaints", as it shouldn't paint until after the LB number of bars, but let me know if you see anything I don't. Hope some of you find this useful as I have, happy trading!

http://tos.mx/QdcFPDO

Code:
# Filter out Weak pivot highs/lows
input lb = 15; # pivots: lookback/forward
input atrlen = 30;
input atrMult = 1.5; # Spikeyness Index
input useSpikeyCond = yes; # use spikey condition
input confirmOnClose = yes; # wait 1x bar to confirm (avoid repainting)
input project_pivots = yes;
input show_arrows = no;
input usecharttime = yes;
input agg = aggregationperiod.fifteen_min;
input add_boundClouds = yes;
input pivot_margin = 0.25;
input use_rth = yes;
input rth_start = 0930;
input rth_end = 1600;
def rth = SecondsFromTime(rth_start) >= 0 and SecondsTillTime(rth_end) >= 0;

def x = if confirmOnClose then 1 else 0;
def atr = ATR(atrlen);

#//MTF
def TFLow;
def TFHigh;
def TFClose;

if UseChartTime
then {
    TFLow   = low;
    TFHigh  = high;
    TFClose = close;
} else {
    TFLow = low(period = agg);
    TFHigh = high(period = agg);
    TFClose = close(period = agg);
}

# Pivot highs & Pivot lows: filtering out the rounded/unimpressive pivot highs
def pivHigh = if use_rth then (if rth and (Highest(TFHigh, lb) <= TFHigh and highest(TFHigh[-lb], lb) <= TFHigh ) then TFHigh else double.nan) else if (Highest(TFHigh, lb) <= TFHigh and highest(TFHigh[-lb], lb) <= TFHigh ) then TFHigh else double.nan;
def isPivHigh = !IsNaN(pivHigh);
def maH = Average(TFHigh, 2 * lb);
def spikyH = if useSpikeyCond then pivHigh > maH + (atrMult * atr) else pivHigh and TFHigh > maH;;

plot ph = (isPivHigh[x] and spikyH[x]);
ph.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
ph.sethiding(!show_arrows);

def pivothigh = if isPivHigh and spikyH then TFHigh else Double.NaN;
def pivothigh1 = if !IsNaN(pivothigh[1]) then pivothigh[1] else pivothigh1[1];

plot project_ph = pivothigh1;
project_ph.setpaintingstrategy(paintingstrategy.horizontal);
project_ph.setdefaultcolor(color.green);
project_ph.sethiding(!project_pivots);

addcloud(if add_boundClouds then project_ph - pivot_margin else double.nan, project_ph + pivot_margin, color.light_green, color.light_green);

### Pivot Lows
def pivLow = if use_rth then (if rth and (Lowest(TFLow, lb) >= TFLow  and lowest(TFLow[-lb], lb) >= TFLow) then TFLow else double.nan) else if (Lowest(TFLow, lb) >= TFLow  and lowest(TFLow[-lb], lb) >= TFLow) then TFLow else double.nan;
def isPivLow = !IsNaN(pivLow);
def maL = Average(TFLow, 2 * lb);
def spikyL = if useSpikeyCond then pivLow < maL - (atrMult * atr) else pivLow and TFLow < maL;;

plot pl = isPivLow[x] and spikyL[x];
pl.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
pl.sethiding(!show_arrows);

def pivotlow = if isPivLow and spikyL then TFLow else Double.NaN;
def pivotlow1 = if !IsNaN(pivotlow[1]) then pivotlow[1] else pivotlow1[1];

plot project_pl = pivotlow1;
project_pl.setpaintingstrategy(paintingstrategy.horizontal);
project_pl.setdefaultcolor(color.red);
project_pl.sethiding(!project_pivots);

addcloud(if add_boundClouds then project_pl - pivot_margin else double.nan,  project_pl + pivot_margin, color.light_red, color.light_red);

@Chemmy The clouds around the pivot line don't show up... Do you know maybe why?

Edit: Clouds don't show up on futures charts for some odd reason... Works on QQQ for example but not on /NQ.

@Chemmy The clouds around the pivot line don't show up... Do you know maybe why?

Edit: Clouds don't show up on futures charts for some odd reason... Works on QQQ for example but not on /NQ.

Interesting.. I'll look into it. I don't trade futures but I also can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work on them.

Edit: The clouds are working for me on futures, but it's almost hidden due to how large the futures prices are. You should be able to see them if you edit the pivot margin setting to a higher number, and I may add functionality to show the clouds as a percentage of price rather than a specific dollar/cent amount.

Interesting.. I'll look into it. I don't trade futures but I also can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work on them.

Edit: The clouds are working for me on futures, but it's almost hidden due to how large the futures prices are. You should be able to see them if you edit the pivot margin setting to a higher number, and I may add functionality to show the clouds as a percentage of price rather than a specific dollar/cent amount.
Hello Chemmy. Thank you for this Pivot study. I also trade the /NQ using the 5 min chart. Would appreciate it if looks like the QQQ. The QQQ chart looks great with the think horizontal bars showing points of S/R.

If I am using the 5 min chart, what would be the optimal setting to id points of S/R. Is your default settings optimal for the 5 min chart?

Thank you again for this. I will look to see how it performs on Tuesday 9/4/23.

@Chemmy I have few questions about this. I am using this on 5 min chart but when the pivot shifts or shows up in the current day its already an hour later than it shows up any way to make it show sooner so we can take action on it. Second I put in alerts on this script but it doesnt play the sound when the pivot shows up or shifts.

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.