SPX Trading Strategy for ThinkorSwim

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOGL is just about there to meet your conditions, 10 mins chart. About to pull the trigger on a buy PUT in next 8 mins when the bar closes in favor.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

GOOGL is just about there to meet your conditions, 10 mins chart. About to pull the trigger on a buy PUT in next 8 mins when the bar closes in favor.
Good luck. And just so I'm clear once again.....this setup has only been tested on SPX. There is zero guarantee that it will carry over to another stock without doing some tweaks.

MA cross over happened, however first red dot is on Zero line, so didn't take trade. Also, there are several dots previous to it very close to Zero line confirms the strong support. Will wait for next bar.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-16-at-12-35-06-PM.png

since its still on squeeze, holding the position, it already closed above EMA 9...took off auto pilot, if it was closed, it was a loser at ($150.00)

Here is the result, observations and conclusion of this test: Closed position at EOD.

Entered trade: Open to buy 1 PUT contract of 5 mar 21, 2125 strike at $49.70; [all conditions met for the strategy]
Highest Option price yield at the peak of this run: $54.50, yielding a benefit of $480.00
Option value at Close to Sell 1 PUT contract is at: $51.30, yielding a benefit of $160.00

Although I closed the position due to EOD and at the time of my exit, price was hovering above 9EMA, at closing bell, the price moved down below 9EMA and the closing bar was clear from stop loss zone, so the position has not met the exit criteria yet and can still be open.

From a PnL perspective, on close: realized value $160/$4970 = ~ 3% yield
Potential yield: $480/$4970 = ~ 9.65 % yield (y)

So I guess, we can easily set a profit target of 9 to 10% ROI and a trailing stop loss of close above 9EMA. Not bad at all.

That said, the strategy seems to be solid. Thanks much Hypoluxo for the strategy and a cool $160.00 to my pocket :D

Hope this test was of some use to the community here.

Below is the screen shot:
Screen-Shot-2021-02-16-at-2-55-35-PM.png

Current status:
Screen-Shot-2021-02-16-at-3-30-45-PM.png

Last edited:
@king_louie the new setup I sent you worked twice today for SPX.
VIX and SPX lined up for a SPX put at 11:40ET ($6 SPK price drop) and again at 15:20ET ($3 SPX price drop). The $3 stock drop on a put premium I watched increased $2+.

S38sM0y.png

@king_louie the new setup I sent you worked twice today for SPX.
VIX and SPX lined up for a SPX put at 11:40ET ($6 SPK price drop) and again at 15:20ET ($3 SPX price drop). The $3 stock drop on a put premium I watched increased $2+.

S38sM0y.png
Thank you for sharing your strategies. I am going to be doing some testing on the original post on SPX myself. My only issue is I’m trading from mobile on TOS. Do you know what changes the color of the dots on the MACDBB script?

This is the code:

(if MACD_Line > MACD_Line[1] then Color.White

else Color.DARK_RED);

But I’m unsure as the what the [1] is referencing in the script. If it’s something I can script for mobile or reference another way that would help! I asked Ben Ten in the original thread as well. Thanks!

Thank you for sharing your strategies. I am going to be doing some testing on the original post on SPX myself. My only issue is I’m trading from mobile on TOS. Do you know what changes the color of the dots on the MACDBB script?

This is the code:

(if MACD_Line > MACD_Line[1] then Color.White

else Color.DARK_RED);

But I’m unsure as the what the [1] is referencing in the script. If it’s something I can script for mobile or reference another way that would help! I asked Ben Ten in the original thread as well. Thanks!
No, sorry...I can't be much help with scripts or reading them. Good luck tho!

@Jim C The [1] means previous candle/bar, [-1] means look to the next candle/bar, and if used [0] means current candle/bar for whatever variable or price you are referencing... When this index is omitted, the current candle/bar is used...

I've done a complete revamp of SPX...but for PUTS ONLY. It's really hard to dial in calls for this one. Watch this setup this week and see what you think. I've attached a spreadsheet with the dollar amount each day it triggered a signal.
You will need to have VIX pulled up on one screen and SPX on another....both 1day 10mins. VIX and SPX are inverted from each other, so make sure VIX has a green candle with a light blue TTM bar with a green dot on top....SPX will need a red candle with red TTM bar and green dot. The TOS screenshot, you will see the alignment at 11:30. SMA 3 and 9....TTM Squeeze 9, 2.3, 2.5, 0.5
And yes....there are some single digit days....but we all have to live with that risk in order to hit the big ones.

TVOnisw.png

Ap0aEnq.png
Sweet! My TOS was down for a few days (Torture!) Will keep an eye out for this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
244 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back