SPX Trading Strategy for ThinkorSwim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben's Swing Trading Strategy + Indicator

I wouldn't call this a course. My goal is zero fluff. I will jump right into my current watchlist, tell you the ThinkorSwim indicator that I'm using, and past trade setups to help you understand my swing trading strategy.

I'm Interested

Is there a scan for MACDBB? I have the chart set-ups I was wondering if there is a scan when it first pierces the zero line?
When one has a chart set-up can that be used for a scan or do you have to make a modification?

@QUIKTDR1 This is how you set it up:

NrnniYF.png

Make sure to choose between "crosses above" or "crosses below"

Just checking in, @Hypoluxa - have you continued to find success with this strategy? And, if so, have you tweaked anything since you last shared?

Thank you!
Hi Malone! Yes, this strategy still works....and ironically that you ask, but yes...I have tweaked it even further for SPX. I'm waiting to trade it live some more this week before I post about it...but backtesting shows it to be another awesome setup for SPX.

Also change from 12, 26, 5, to the 8,16,36 for SPX or 10 for AMZN...
OK, so you set it to show results when the line crosses above (or below) the 0 line (as opposed to the channel lines??? Thanks and if you could explain your reasoning please.

I'm not an option trader nor a day trader. I use spx chart for swing trades and long term investments. Could you please tell me the settings to use your set ups for the long term? daily charts or even 4hrs. Thank you

I'm not an option trader nor a day trader. I use spx chart for swing trades and long term investments. Could you please tell me the settings to use your set ups for the long term? daily charts or even 4hrs. Thank you
Hi Moose, I only scalp SPX options...never in it more than 30 mins or less. So I can't offer any help to you with what you're asking for.

@Hypoluxa Wow, this is amazing. Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind, could you pls share how many trades you do (Avg) in a week on SPX with this setup?
This setup calls for patience, as it doesn't show up much during the week...but i can get at least 4 per week....this week has been only once.

@Hypoluxa Wow, This is awesome. Thank you for sharing. I did paper trading SPX and it was very successful mostly. I tried it with $1 profit target and same $1 stop loss in TOS. While mostly it was successful, sometimes it also stopped out very quickly within a minute or two. I am wondering do you have any additional tips for successful entry besides what you mentioned in #1? You are right, definitely patience is the key. BTW, I am new here and catching up. Thanks again!

Today I gave it a go both on AMZN and SPX. The MACDBB was way out for SPX so I turned to SPY and thought why not try it since all the signals were bang on as per instructions. And then the @#$%& turned on me, quickly to downside. Hence the patience and wait for it to truly paint on screen and make sure you arent forcing the trade. Very close or even the first dot repaints and dances the macarena on you so be patient!! After that I was very patient and scalped AMZN$$. Not sure what other tweaks you got in the works but would love to see it!! I placed regular MACD on my SPY loss and had I paid attn to it I would have not entered. RSI also was not looking pretty. Ill gladly give it a go next week but would love to know if you changed or upgraded anything? Perhaps add other indicators?
Had so much fun today with new strategy Hypoluxa!! thanks!

Hi @dmaffo! One major word of caution...indicator setups all respond differently to each stock...and SPX and SPY are a prime example of that. They both have different volatility type movement...so its definitely not a "copy and paste" for those two. I'll be posting sometime next week my new tweaks for SPX and I've added one for AMZN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
279 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back