SPX Trading Strategy for ThinkorSwim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since @Hypoluxa 's strategy is set for 10m, I locked it to 10m charts. If you want to use the script on different timeframes, remove the following 2 lines.

Python:
# Check for 10min chart
Assert(GetAggregationPeriod() == AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN, "Incorrect Chart Time, use 10m");
Are you using this strictly for trading SPX? Any information for trading with other stocks or ETFs. Especially SPY? Thank you in advance.

Are you using this strictly for trading SPX? Any information for trading with other stocks or ETFs. Especially SPY? Thank you in advance.
You'd have to do some major adjustments to this setup for SPY. This is strictly for SPX.

here is a strategy using this indicator.

http://tos.mx/xpBZve0

@babouin77 Could you please post the code rather than simply a shareable link so members don't have to import into TOS in order to review the code... In addition, while shareable links might seem nice for novices, Copy & Paste is the preferred method for most experienced members... And Copy & Paste doesn't break after TOS rolls out updates, unlike the shareable link site...

Beware of the false signals...Looking at historical data.

wWFdXxf.png

@barbaros @Hypoluxa @rad14733
Knowing your divergences will help. I see a couple here. (Left Chart) Bearish divergence at 1120 time with the Ergo. MACD dots didn't cross the zero line but it's up high and red. I'm sure if there's a TMO oscillator added on there, it'll probably be overbought . Red heikin ashi, crossed EMAs, Ergo turns red.

(Right chart) The other being at 1010 Am time. If you connect the lows from the open to the 10 am lows. MACD bullish Divergence. EMAs Cross. Green heikin ashi, white MACD dots and green Ergo.

Just a thought. Haven't tried this myself.

@king_louie Sure, there are many ways to embellish this simple strategy but the beauty of this strategy IS it's simplicity... Some traders find something simple that works and stick with it and trade a few select symbols... Others try making constant adaptations in an attempt to catch every trade on every symbol listed... Which trader do you think is more profitable...???

Many traders load up charts with indicators that can be interpreted in a multitude of ways, and I've done so myself, but eventually most end up simplifying... One example is @BenTen who only uses BTD and hand drawn S/R lines... It all comes down to picking your battles wisely, not being worried about missed opportunities, and not being afraid to leave money on the table when exiting a trade...

@king_louie Sure, there are many ways to embellish this simple strategy but the beauty of this strategy IS it's simplicity... Some traders find something simple that works and stick with it and trade a few select symbols... Others try making constant adaptations in an attempt to catch every trade on every symbol listed... Which trader do you think is more profitable...???

Many traders load up charts with indicators that can be interpreted in a multitude of ways, and I've done so myself, but eventually most end up simplifying... One example is @BenTen who only uses BTD and hand drawn S/R lines... It all comes down to picking your battles wisely, not being worried about missed opportunities, and not being afraid to leave money on the table when exiting a trade...
Agreed. I used to load up my charts. What a headache after a while. S/R is a great one that everyone should know. Just that alone will increase win rate

Exactly....

Agreed. I used to load up my charts. What a headache after a while. S/R is a great one that everyone should know. Just that alone will increase win rate
@rad14733 @king_louie I like to think of it like this: If you knew you had a better chance of hitting the powerball lottery for $100M rather than buying thousands of dollars worth of scratch offs from the gas station to win a few dollars.....which would you do? :unsure: :ROFLMAO::cool: LOL!

Since @Hypoluxa 's strategy is set for 10m, I locked it to 10m charts. If you want to use the script on different timeframes, remove the following 2 lines.

Python:
# Check for 10min chart
Assert(GetAggregationPeriod() == AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN, "Incorrect Chart Time, use 10m");
barbaros, thank you for your tweaks. Its easier on the eyes. Wondering if you could design a strategy using Hypoluxa's method so that we can see what the returns are on 10 minute and other time frames and on different stocks?

rad14733, great point. I too and I am sure almost all have fallen victim to this. I now try to declutter my charts to have only the very best indicators on. In the world of indicators, more is not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
459 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back