SPX Trading Strategy for ThinkorSwim

Status
Not open for further replies.
went short on /ES 3,824.25 at 1pm central ( i have it to show just the market hours so it mimics spx)
and my exit when MACD color switch... for my stop and target... will update here when done.
I didn't like that 4 candle choppiness before it crossed the zero line...so I stayed out. I will probably end up regretting it.

Ben's Swing Trading Strategy + Indicator

I wouldn't call this a course. My goal is zero fluff. I will jump right into my current watchlist, tell you the ThinkorSwim indicator that I'm using, and past trade setups to help you understand my swing trading strategy.

I'm Interested

im with you on that, but im following it so far... we will see.
I didn't like that 4 candle choppiness before it crossed the zero line...so I stayed out. I will probably end up regretting it.
Same here gents, but entered at the signal with a few contracts. Worked out very well and took a 3.80 gain. Looks like I left too early, but we are scalping, right? (y)
Thanks all!

@Hypoluxa I took a shot at putting your strategy into a study. All parameters are customizable. It will plot buy and sell signals and alert when signals show up. I was thinking that the BB dots being above and below the zero line can be turned into a percent up or down. Let me know if you can think of any enhancements.

Python:
# SPX Strategy
# Strategy designed by Hypoluxa
# barbaros - 2021/02/25

declare upper;

input price = close;
input SMAFastLength = 3;
input SMASlowLength = 9;
input BBlength = 30;
input BBNum_Dev = 0.8;
input BBCrossInBars = 3;
input BBCrossDistance = 1;
input MACDfastLength = 8;
input MACDslowLength = 16;
input MACDLength = 36;
input ERGODICLongLength = 2;
input ERGODICShortLength = 10;
input ERGODICSignalLength = 36;
input ERGODICAverageType = {"SIMPLE", default "EXPONENTIAL", "WEIGHTED", "WILDERS", "HULL"};

# Check for 10min chart
Assert(GetAggregationPeriod() == AggregationPeriod.TEN_MIN, "Incorrect Chart Time, use 10m");

# MACD
def MACD_Data = MACD(fastLength = MACDfastLength, slowLength = MACDslowLength, MACDLength = MACDLength);
def MACD_Direction = if MACD_Data > MACD_Data[1] then 1 else -1;

# Ergodic
def Ergodic_Data = ErgodicOsc("long length" = ERGODICLongLength, "short length" = ERGODICShortLength, "signal length" = ERGODICSignalLength, "average type" = ERGODICAverageType).ErgodicOsc;

# SMAs
def SMA_Fast = SimpleMovingAvg(price, SMAFastLength);
def SMA_Slow = SimpleMovingAvg(price, SMASlowLength);

# Signals
def buySignal = SMA_Fast > SMA_Slow and Ergodic_Data > 0 and MACD_Direction == 1 and MACD_Data >= BBCrossDistance and MACD_Data crosses above 0 within BBCrossInBars bars;
def sellSignal = SMA_Fast < SMA_Slow and Ergodic_Data < 0 and MACD_Direction == -1 and MACD_Data <= -BBCrossDistance and MACD_Data crosses below 0 within BBCrossInBars bars;

# Plots
plot buy = buySignal and !buySignal[1];
buy.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_UP);
buy.setDefaultColor(Color.GREEN);
buy.setLineWeight(3);

plot sell = sellSignal and !sellSignal[1];
sell.setPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.BOOLEAN_ARROW_DOWN);
sell.setDefaultColor(Color.RED);
sell.setLineWeight(3);

# Alerts
Alert(buy, "Buy", Alert.BAR, Sound.Ring);
Alert(sell, "Sell", Alert.BAR, Sound.Ring);
can you explain this
MACD_Data crosses below 0 within BBCrossInBars bars;

so you mean if the MACD_data cross below 0 the last 3 bars? does it require the last 3 bars to be below zero to be a valid signal?

Same here gents, but entered at the signal with a few contracts. Worked out very well and took a 3.80 gain. Looks like I left too early, but we are scalping, right? (y)
Thanks all!
NICE! Yea, I've watched a March 1st 3760P go from $11.90 down to $9.50 back up to almost $14. So it was def quick and needed a low buy limit on that one.

went short on /ES 3,824.25 at 1pm central ( i have it to show just the market hours so it mimics spx)
and my exit when MACD color switch... for my stop and target... will update here when done.
I entered 2 contracts on ES at 3824.25 first contract is scalp of 16 ticks... so i exited at 3820.25 and the runner I exited it at
1 PM CST was perfect time...so need to wait 10 more mins after the signal.

I did not close it yet, it is negative now...
the signal arrow will confirm at the end of the 10 min... during that 10 min bar it shows and go away

I entered 2 contracts on ES at 3824.25 first contract is scalp of 16 ticks... so i exited at 3820.25 and the runner I exited it at

the signal arrow will confirm at the end of the 10 min... during that 10 min bar it shows and go away
How did u choose the strikes? Is it based on delta or ATM strike?

I entered 2 contracts on ES at 3824.25 first contract is scalp of 16 ticks... so i exited at 3820.25 and the runner I exited it when the MACD dot change to green at 1:40 central at a price 3828
Total: +4-3.75 = 0.25 points on the ES.

Beware of the false signals...Looking at historical data.

wWFdXxf.png

can you explain this
MACD_Data crosses below 0 within BBCrossInBars bars;

so you mean if the MACD_data cross below 0 the last 3 bars? does it require the last 3 bars to be below zero to be a valid signal?
This is true. You need to quantify the cross in x many bars. If it lingers and then moves the distance, I didn't want to have those as valid signals.

got you. thanks... appreciate your help and response. Anyone knows how to code a profit target in TOS in a strategy? for example exit when price moves 1 point for example...
As I was mentioning earlier, I will add statistics to the original indicator that includes this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
462 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back