SLIM Ribbon Indicator for ThinkorSwim

@ace_wheelie I actually moved your thread here. The Slim ribbon indicator posted on the first page of this thread doesn't satisfy your request? How is it different? You may want to post some more details. No need to create a separate thread. Feel free to add more info here.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

I just installed the slim ribbon set up and it is absolutely what I've been looking for!

@markos what do "Precent ATH", "Mobius ADSPD Badge", and the "Dynamic Line Snip" indicators do? I'm not familiar with these

I was watching Slim's Market Week video for this week and he was demonstrating his new indicator in which he combined the slim ribbon with the projection oscillator. Seemed to work really well with the daily/2hr chart combo. @markos would that be a relative 'easy' thing to code? It's way out of my pay grade or I would attempt it myself.

Here is the video, about 10 minutes in he starts to demonstrate the indicator

Last edited:
@thinky & @tenacity11 I don't remember which one of you asked me about using HA candles vs. standard Candles on my Slim Ribbon chart.
There was a question about potential lag. I have part of an answer from school.stockcharts.com :
RyzGHFn.png
Can I just add,....When using Heiken,....when candles are trending higher they have no lower wicks, when trending lower they have upper wicks, when they come to a point where there is a change Doji's/Spinning tops form, multiples with uncertainty of direction change, none if the direction is quick change, that is what to look for. Make sure the trends are strong, easier to see any changes in Heiken candles.

@markos Thanks for this. Have not read through the rest of the thread yet, so maybe it has been addressed. Slim likes to use a 30min and an 8min and looks for alignment. Enters positions with the 8min. Going to put this to the test for sure!

I see that in addition to the SlimRibbon study there is also a study called SimRibbon_PO.
Has anyone created something similar to SlimRibbon_PO study?
It appears that it might be some kind of price oscillator(or RSI etc.) with SlimRibbon signals and coloring added to it.

You can see the SimRibbon_PO study in the video in post #142 above.
View the video in Post # 142 on this useThinkScript web page. - Time into video = 14.0 minutes.
https://usethinkscript.com/threads/slim-ribbon-indicator-for-thinkorswim.245/page-8
Or,
At 1.0 minute into this video by Slim.

Last edited:
This may seem odd to you, but I don't backtest. I wish I could help but I don't do strategy's either. Did you watch slim miller's video as mentioned elsewhere here? Read the study, it comes complete with Arrows and Alerts galore.

Editing this Oct 1, 2020: @korygill @BenTen & @mc01439 I feel the SlimRibbon Study is worthy of a backtest. (Not the TMO) Could one of you run it through it's paces if you have time?
@markos @BenTen I see a ton of slim ribbon posts, do you know if there's a stream for the Slim MTF code?

Anyway to add a label to this indicator? I cant seem to get three way color changes on the label.

If you are referring to the code in Post #1 the three way coloring is used in the very last line of code... That code should be the last (third) parameter of your AddLabel() code...

I think its the sequence of events Im not getting right, this is the best I've gotten...

Code:
###SLIM
#Mr Slim Miller at askSLIM dot com
#SlimRibbonCustom_markos9-7-18
input price300 = close;

input superfast_length = 8;

input fast_length = 13;

input slow_length = 21;

input displace300 = 0;

def mov_avg8 = ExpAverage(price300[-displace300], superfast_length);

def mov_avg13 = ExpAverage(price300[-displace300], fast_length);

def mov_avg21 = ExpAverage(price300[-displace300], slow_length);

#moving averages

def Superfast = mov_avg8;

def Fast = mov_avg13;

def Slow = mov_avg21;

def buy = mov_avg8 > mov_avg13 and mov_avg13 > mov_avg21 and low > mov_avg8;

def stopbuy = mov_avg8 <= mov_avg13;

def buynow = !buy[1] and buy;

def buysignal2 = CompoundValue(1, if buynow and !stopbuy then 1 else if buysignal2[1] == 1 and stopbuy then 0 else buysignal2[1], 0);

def sell = mov_avg8 < mov_avg13 and mov_avg13 < mov_avg21 and high < mov_avg8;

def stopsell = mov_avg8 >= mov_avg13;

def sellnow = !sell[1] and sell;

def sellsignal2 = CompoundValue(1, if sellnow and !stopsell then 1 else if sellsignal2[1] == 1 and stopsell then 0 else sellsignal2[1], 0);

plot Colorbars = if buysignal2 ==1 then 1 else if sellsignal2 ==1 then 2 else if buysignal2 ==0 or sellsignal2==0 then 3 else 0;

colorbars.hide();

Colorbars.definecolor("Buy_Signal_Bars", color.Green);

Colorbars.definecolor("Sell_Signal_Bars", color.red);

Colorbars.definecolor("Neutral", color.gray);

AddLabel(yes, if Colorbars ==1 then "SLIM:Up" else "SLIM:Down",
if Colorbars ==2 then Color.RED else Color.GREEN);

@Woodman78 Try this code... I didn't check the logic of the entire script, I only corrected to AddLabel() logic to match the previous logic...

Ruby:
###SLIM
#Mr Slim Miller at askSLIM dot com
#SlimRibbonCustom_markos9-7-18
input price300 = close;

input superfast_length = 8;

input fast_length = 13;

input slow_length = 21;

input displace300 = 0;

def mov_avg8 = ExpAverage(price300[-displace300], superfast_length);

def mov_avg13 = ExpAverage(price300[-displace300], fast_length);

def mov_avg21 = ExpAverage(price300[-displace300], slow_length);

#moving averages

def Superfast = mov_avg8;

def Fast = mov_avg13;

def Slow = mov_avg21;

def buy = mov_avg8 > mov_avg13 and mov_avg13 > mov_avg21 and low > mov_avg8;

def stopbuy = mov_avg8 <= mov_avg13;

def buynow = !buy[1] and buy;

def buysignal2 = CompoundValue(1, if buynow and !stopbuy then 1 else if buysignal2[1] == 1 and stopbuy then 0 else buysignal2[1], 0);

def sell = mov_avg8 < mov_avg13 and mov_avg13 < mov_avg21 and high < mov_avg8;

def stopsell = mov_avg8 >= mov_avg13;

def sellnow = !sell[1] and sell;

def sellsignal2 = CompoundValue(1, if sellnow and !stopsell then 1 else if sellsignal2[1] == 1 and stopsell then 0 else sellsignal2[1], 0);

plot Colorbars = if buysignal2 == 1 then 1 
                 else if sellsignal2 == 1 then 2 
                 else if buysignal2 == 0 or sellsignal2 == 0 then 3 
                 else 0;

colorbars.hide();

Colorbars.definecolor("Buy_Signal_Bars", color.Green);
Colorbars.definecolor("Sell_Signal_Bars", color.red);
Colorbars.definecolor("Neutral", color.gray);

AddLabel(yes, 
  if Colorbars == 1 then "SLIM:Up" else if Colorbars == 2 then "SLIM:Down" else "SLIM:Neutral",
  if Colorbars == 1 then Colorbars.Color("Buy_Signal_Bars") 
  else if Colorbars == 2 then Colorbars.Color("Sell_Signal_Bars") 
  else Colorbars.Color("Neutral")
);

Is there a Scanner for this Study?

Something to this nature - Buy Signal one bar prior and Sell signal one bar prior.

Hey I was wondering if someone could attempt to make me a scanner for this indicator. Preferably id like one that is based off the one hour. If someone could please take their time I'd really appreciate it.

Hey I was wondering if someone could attempt to make me a scanner for this indicator. Preferably id like one that is based off the one hour. If someone could please take their time I'd really appreciate it.
See post above yours.