Schwab-TDA Merger: Thoughts, Rumors, Sightings...

Does anyone know if Schwab will support live buy and sell order flow? I know think or swim currently does not.

Bad news: there is no current plans for any major upgrades to ToS.
No, there will be no live buy and sell order flow other than Bookmap

Good news: Eventually, most ToS functionality will be available in the Schwab ToS app by the end of the year.
The free Bookmap has changed. Instead of a free working version with a fixed number of futures and stocks. They are offering a rotating set of futures and stocks.

Last edited:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

I migrated to Schwab and lost all my stuff. Thank GOD I saved at least my winning strategies. SO ANNOYING!!!

So, I reached out to them and they said all my stuff will be ported over by Monday. I saved record of the conversation as reference.
Any luck with getting your settings back? I also lost everything and support promised to get my things back last week by the next morning after I called. Nothing.

Is anyone else feeling worried about Think or swim now being under Charles Schwab?

TD Ameritrade got purchased by Charles Schwab and now the entire platform will be under Schwab, Hopefully, everything stays the same in some regard.
i would not worry most likely buying TOS to improve there platform if not i'l leave to another . but as is i am with TOS for over twenty years and waiting to see AUTO Scripted trades . winch i have already to be used .

Any luck with getting your settings back? I also lost everything and support promised to get my things back last week by the next morning after I called. Nothing.
Yes, I got everything back. I was apart of the "November transition". Ask them which transition you're apart of. They can look it up.

With the port over of TOS to Schwab. Did anyone lose any indicators or workspace?

Thanks
There have been isolated reports of custom studies/watchlists/scans not porting over for some members.
Call ToS support, if this happens to you.
They will be able to resolve the issue for you.

Just a note to anyone who is backing up indicators and workspaces via shared links. Shared links seem to have a limited life in the paper trading application. New links created in a live workspace are available immediately. No need to wait a day. One can create a link in live trading and then switch to paper trading and import the workspace immediately. However older shared links that can still be opened in live trading workspaces can NOT be opened in paper trading. Haven't figured out when links "age out" of availability to paper trading. None of the links I created prior to account transition can be opened in paper trading but are available to open in live trading. What a waste of time it was to create those shared links! 🤦‍♀️ Copying saved code has been much quicker and a lot less hassle.

TLDR: If I had it to do over, I would have copied more code and created fewer shared links.

Got email from TDA today that my account(s) will be moved to Schwab the weekend of May 10, 2024.

"We recognize that this may be later than you expected, but we want to ensure the services you use today are fully available to you at Schwab. It's all part of our effort to make the move as seamless as possible to you."

Got email from TDA today that my account(s) will be moved to Schwab the weekend of May 10, 2024.

"We recognize that this may be later than you expected, but we want to ensure the services you use today are fully available to you at Schwab. It's all part of our effort to make the move as seamless as possible to you."

5 months from now. At this rate, we could still see people moving from TDA to Schwab in December of 2024 😅

Found a Linux bug with TOS after Schwab switch. I can't create a new watch list. I've imported links that works. Only way to restart TOS is xkill. Added watch list with tablet.

At this rate, we could still see people moving from TDA to Schwab in December of 2024 😅
Please be careful what you wish for! Very little works correctly for me in TOS now, whether it's paper trading or my live account. Just realized today that scans loaded as sidebar watchlists no longer update every few minutes. Not sure how long it takes now or if new scans even run in the background any more. Hopefully it's updating properly for traders who haven't switched over yet.

Please be careful what you wish for! Very little works correctly for me in TOS now, whether it's paper trading or my live account. Just realized today that scans loaded as sidebar watchlists no longer update every few minutes. Not sure how long it takes now or if new scans even run in the background any more. Hopefully it's updating properly for traders who haven't switched over yet.

You're not alone! I also have similar experience and some other bugs. 😅 😅

Because of all of the horror stories coming out of this forum and other places online related to the merger, I preemptively moved most of my trading to NinjaTrader. I think I'll still maintain a TOS account for options because it has some really nice tools to analyze multi-leg options trades, but for my intraday trading (what I do full-time), I don't think I can use TOS any longer. Plus, NinjaTrader has better commissions than the standard TOS commissions. The only downside is that NinjaTrader does have a bit of a learning curve, and NinjaScript is much more difficult than ThinkScript for creating indicators.

1703345198835.png

Is the current platform still considered beta? Will there be an "official" release some time in the future?

The Schwab ToS version does allow for most activities.
Schwab does not call their ToS version beta. The final version was supposed to roll out March 2024.
That date has been pushed out to May 2024.

Schwab never had a Futures / Forex trading presence. So the backend integration is not there.
Futures / Forex trading will be the final integration and it is slated for May 2024 at which point the rest of the ToS users will be migrated and the TDA version will seamlessly disappear.

Other issues:
Some things just can't happen while there are two versions running.
For example, there is no backwards compatibility.
The TDA builds are pushed out to Schwab. But anything created on the Schwab version does not get pushed back to TDA.
So Schwab version can't have share links or other permanent things because there is no way to port back to the TDA version.

But overall, the new version is doing really well. And support has been responsive in fixing all issues that crop up.

Last edited:
The Schwab ToS version does allow for most activities.
Schwab does not call their ToS version beta. The final version was supposed to roll out March 2024.
That date has been pushed out to May 2024.

Schwab never had a Futures / Forex trading presence. So the backend integration is not there.
Futures / Forex trading will be the final integration and it is slated for May 2024 at which point the rest of the ToS users will be migrated and the TDA version will seamlessly disappear.

Other issues:
Some things just can't happen while there are two versions running.
For example, there is no backwards compatibility.
The TDA builds are pushed out to Schwab. But anything created on the Schwab version does not get pushed back to TDA.
So Schwab version can't have share links or other permanent things because there is no way to port back to the TDA version.

But overall, the new version is doing really well. And support has been responsive in fixing all issues that crop up.

Do you have any indication that old ToS scripts will work on the new ToS platform? If not, are they being more restrictive? new language? or simply new features not backward compatible?.

Also, are they getting rid of shared links completely?

Do you have any indication that old ToS scripts will work on the new ToS platform? If not, are they being more restrictive? new language? or simply new features not backward compatible?.
The live Scwhab ToS app is the exact same as the live TDA ToS app but Schwab OnDemand is very limited.
Given the numerous issues, unsure of the future of paper trading on the Schwab ToS app.

your current ToS scripts will work on the Schwab ToS platform.
There are no restrictions.
There is no new language.
There are no new features.

Also, are they getting rid of shared links completely?
Sharing links between the two apps is temporary problem on Schwab ToS app.

Last edited:
Do you have any indication that old ToS scripts will work on the new ToS platform?
They seem to work for live trading but custom scripts are disallowed for scans in paper trading. And any custom script saved in the live account must be re-imported for use on paper trading charts.

Another thing is that scripts that process MTF data seem to update more slowly now. It used to be that I could compare MTF scripts on TOS and my preferred trading platform and they would be essentially the same. Maybe it's something in my settings, maybe it's TOS. Really don't know. But now TOS just doesn't update MTF indicators as quickly as it used to. Scanning across multiple timeframes is even worse...VERY slow to update in sidebar scan result watchlists.

I remember years ago talking to a tos rep at some trader show about giving priority to active trders on their platforms as compared to those who used tos to crunch numbers and use graphs but dont trade on tos. They were aware of this phenomenon but said they hoped to convince the number crunchers into active traders on tos. Maybe the new tos/schwab is simply giving priority to active traders now, I dunno

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
189 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back