RSI_Extreme Indicator for ThinkorSwim

rad14733

VIP
I have been using and improving the standard TOS RSI indicator for well over a year for my own personal use and have finally decided to release RSI_Extreme to the usethinkscript community... I use it on virtually every underlying chart while scalping options, in one variation or another...

As the name implies, it is RSI_Extreme due its overall versatility... So, what makes it "Extreme"...???

• It can work just like the standard TOS RSI indicator if that is all you require...
  • You can drag the indicator into the upper chart panel for on-chart display (I use this feature a lot)...
  • You can enable/disable midlines which display at 40, 50, and 60...
  • You can enable/disable the standard 70/30 breakout signals (dots by default)...
  • You can enable/disable the standard RSI line...
  • You can enable/disable a horizontal RSI line that displays across the entire chart, similar to how a PriceLine works, complete with overbought/oversold markings (triangles by default)...
  • You can enable/disable a trend colored average line...
  • You can enable/disable vertical lines at Start and End trading times of your choice...
I urge the membership to not ask for additional customizations or for extensive support... I post this only for use as-is but you are free to customize it for your personal needs... The code works exceptionally well for my needs and I hope others will also find it useful...

Please Note:

As currently coded, the RSI Overbought and Oversold dots work differently than the breakouts in a standard RSI indicator... How they differ is that in a default indicator the "breakouts" fire when the RSI line crosses back over the overbought/oversold line after having previously crossed... In my indicator the breakouts fire and remain fired as long as RSI is beyond the breakout levels... I find it more important to know that entire event as it is happening rather than only after it has happened and is no longer happening...

Update History:
  • # v1.0 : 2020-09-01 : Original code with midlines
  • # v1.1 : 2020-09-15 : Modified settings for personal preference
  • # v1.2 : 2021-01-22 : Added option to plot vertical lines at Start and End times
  • # v1.3 : 2021-03-15 : Added option to plot horizontal rsiLine across chart at current RSI level
  • # v1.4 : 2021-03-29 : Added option to plot trending color average line
  • # v1.5 : 2021-03-29 : Added code to eliminate vertical lines for AggregationPeriods above Four_Hours
  • # v1.6 : 2021-03-29 : Added option to adjust RSI chart label decimal rounding

Ruby:
# RSI_Extreme
# Based on TOS standard RSI
# By: rad14733 on usethinkscript.com
# Can be used as either an upper or lower indicator. Drag into upper chart panel for on-chart display.
# v1.0 : 2020-09-01 : Original code with midlines
# v1.1 : 2020-09-15 : Modified settings for personal preference
# v1.2 : 2021-01-22 : Added option to plot vertical lines at Start and End times
# v1.3 : 2021-03-15 : Added option to plot horizontal rsiLine across chart at current RSI level
# v1.4 : 2021-03-29 : Added option to plot trending color average line
# v1.5 : 2021-03-29 : Added code to eliminate vertical lines for AggregationPeriods above Four_Hours
# v1.6 : 2021-03-29 : Added option to adjust RSI chart label decimal rounding

declare lower;

input length = 13;
input over_Bought = 70;
input over_Sold = 30;
input price = close;
input averageType = AverageType.WILDERS;
input showBreakoutSignals = yes;
input showRSI = yes;
input showMidLines = yes;
input showRsiChartLabel = yes;
input rsiLabelDecimals = 4;
input showStartTimeLine = yes;
input showEndTimeLine = yes;
input startTime = 0930;
input endTime = 1600;
input showHorRsiLine = yes;
input showAvgRsi = yes;
input avgRsiLength = 3;
input avgRsiAverageType = AverageType.WILDERS;

def NetChgAvg = MovingAverage(averageType, price - price[1], length);
def TotChgAvg = MovingAverage(averageType, AbsValue(price - price[1]), length);
def ChgRatio = if TotChgAvg != 0 then NetChgAvg / TotChgAvg else 0;

plot RSI = 50 * (ChgRatio + 1);

plot OverSold = over_Sold;
plot OverBought = over_Bought;
plot UpSignal = if RSI <= OverSold then OverSold else Double.NaN;

plot DownSignal = if RSI >= OverBought then OverBought else Double.NaN;

plot forty = if showMidLines then 40 else Double.NaN;
forty.SetDefaultColor(Color.LIGHT_GRAY);
forty.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.DASHES);
forty.SetLineWeight(1);

plot fifty = if showMidLines then 50 else Double.NaN;
fifty.SetDefaultColor(Color.ORANGE);
fifty.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.DASHES);
fifty.SetLineWeight(1);

plot sixty = if showMidLines then 60 else Double.NaN;
sixty.SetDefaultColor(Color.LIGHT_GRAY);
sixty.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.DASHES);
sixty.SetLineWeight(1);

RSI.DefineColor("OverBought", GetColor(5));
RSI.DefineColor("Normal", GetColor(7));
RSI.DefineColor("OverSold", GetColor(1));
RSI.AssignValueColor(if RSI > over_Bought then RSI.color("OverBought") else if RSI < over_Sold then RSI.color("OverSold") else RSI.color("Normal"));
RSI.SetHiding(!showRSI);

OverSold.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));
OverBought.SetDefaultColor(GetColor(8));

UpSignal.SetDefaultColor(Color.UPTICK);
UpSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
UpSignal.SetLineWeight(5);
UpSignal.SetHiding(!showBreakoutSignals);

DownSignal.SetDefaultColor(Color.DOWNTICK);
DownSignal.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
DownSignal.SetLineWeight(5);
DownSignal.SetHiding(!showBreakoutSignals);

#Place vertical lines at start and end times
def startTimeValue = SecondsFromTime(StartTime) == 0;
def endTimeValue = SecondsFromTime(endTime) == 0;
def aggOk = if GetAggregationPeriod() < AggregationPeriod.DAY then 1 else Double.NaN;
AddVerticalLine(aggOk and showStartTimeLine and startTimeValue,"Start",Color.GREEN,Curve.SHORT_DASH);
AddVerticalLine(aggOk and showEndTimeLine and endTimeValue,"End",Color.RED,Curve.SHORT_DASH);

#Display RSI Chart Label
AddLabel(showRsiChartLabel, "RSI: " + Round(rsi, rsiLabelDecimals), if rsi < over_Sold then RSI.color("OverSold") else if rsi > over_Bought then RSI.color("OverBought") else RSI.color("Normal"));

#Plot moving rsiLine across chart at current RSI level
plot rsiLine = if showHorRsiLine then HighestAll(if !IsNaN(RSI) and IsNaN(RSI[-1]) then RSI else Double.NaN) else Double.NaN;
rsiLine.SetDefaultColor(Color.BLACK);
rsiLine.AssignValueColor(if RSI > over_Bought then RSI.color("OverBought") else if RSI < over_Sold then RSI.color("OverSold") else RSI.color("Normal"));
rsiLine.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.LINE_VS_TRIANGLES);
rsiLine.SetLineWeight(1);

#Trending Color Average Line
plot avgRsi = if  showAvgRsi then MovingAverage(avgRsiAverageType, RSI, avgRsiLength) else Double.NaN;
avgRsi.DefineColor("UpTrend", Color.GREEN);
avgRsi.DefineColor("DownTrend", Color.RED);
avgRsi.SetLineWeight(2);
avgRsi.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.LINE);
avgRsi.SetStyle(Curve.FIRM);
avgRsi.AssignValueColor(if avgRsi > avgRsi[1] then avgRsi.Color("UpTrend") else avgRsi.Color("DownTrend"));

#END - RSI_Extreme

RSI_Extreme as both Upper and Lower indicators with all features enabled...

dnj1xuG.png

RSI_Extreme as both Upper and Lower indicators with midlines and average line disabled in the Upper and RSI horizontal line and chart label disabled in the Lower...

LMZH6AS.png

Last edited:

rad14733

VIP
@everyone I have added a note to the first post regarding the difference in how this indicator handles overbought/oversold breakouts...