Reverse-direction maximum value?

seancsnm

I am trying get the running maximum value of a series in a chart, with the caveat that instead of getting the maximum values of all previous values, it gets the maximum value of all future bars. I have a few ideas on how to do this, but either they don't work, or are too slow, so I am asking for additional ideas on how this can be done. Anyone have ideas on how I can accomplish this in a more elegant way?

Method 1)
Code:
MaxSeries = CompoundValue(1, max(MaxSeries[-1], high, 0);
This method would do what I need it to, but it does not work. It returns nothing, implying that forward values cannot be fed into the function.

Method 2)
Code:
def FWD_max = fold k = -search_length to 1 with B = 0 do max(B, if !IsNaN(high[k]) then high[k] else 0);
This method works but it requires search_length iterations for every bar, making it incredibly slow - too slow to be used in a scan for reasonable search_length values (i.e. search_length=2000) (there might be other limitations with the way scans use studies as well, I'm not sure). The image below shows the desired result.

unknown.png

here is a version that finds the last bar, then calculates the quantity of bars, from the current bar to the last one.
that way you don't have to use a large number in the loop.

there are comments in the code, describing what the code lines do, and explaining why i changed a formula.
there are labels and bubbles code lines, to display test data. they are commented out. remove the # in front of them to enable them.

Ruby:
# highest_future_value_01

# find the highest high, after the current bar (in future)

def price = close;
def bn = BarNumber();

# find the last barnumber , with valid price data
def barCount = HighestAll(If(IsNaN(price), 0, bn));
#addlabel(1, "bars " + barcount, color.cyan);

# calc the qty of bars from current bar to the last bar with price data
#   this doesn't work for lines. there are bars after the last one with price data.
#     when the first one after the last price bar is encountered in the fold, the fold fails.
#   it does work for plotting the test bubbles, because the bubbles are placed referencing low,
#     and there is no valid low after the last bar with price data.
#def remainingbars = (barcount - bn);

# adjust formula, so it doesn't calc a diff past the last bar
def remainingbars = if bn < barcount then (barcount - bn) else remainingbars[1];
#addchartbubble(1,low, remainingbars, color.cyan,no);

# this looks at future bars and finds the highest high price
def FWD_max = fold k = 0 to remainingbars
   with b
   do max(b, getvalue(high, -k));
#addchartbubble(1,low, FWD_max, color.cyan,no);

plot z = FWD_max;
# adding horizontal forces lines to be horizontal and gets rid of the diagonal connecting lines
z.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);
z.setdefaultcolor(color.yellow);
#

Thanks for the help. I was able to implement the bar counting logic nicely and I think it's sped the script up a bit. Unfortunately, I just cannot figure out a way to make the logic run quick enough for scans. I've come to the conclusion that it's probably not possible with the way ThinkScript is designed.

The indicator is an unfilled gap indicator and I may post it a bit later.

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.