Relative Volume Strategy and Momentum Scanner for ThinkorSwim

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@Gabrielx77
Make sure you set an alert for when new symbols are added to the scan. Then assess the stocks that come at 9:35 or 9:36. Go for the highest volume, highest RV, and stock with room to run. When you buy it, you can hold it as long as it stays above VWAP. BOXL was on the scan early and met these conditions.
So I made 7% on CPTA this morning, but I know I missed out on GENE big time (I only get 1-2 trades a day bc I'm on a cash account). What I've noticed is that the 5m chart seems to be a little smoother with the run up, especially when I look to sell when it breaks VWAP or the 9Day. I didn't enter GENE this morning because it broke the 9day and I saw CPTA on a move up; however, if I saw the run on the 5m chart, I would've waited for the pullback to the 9Day and easily made over 100%. I'm going to test it out tomorrow, see what I get.

stim was a good one too. Totally missed out on it as I shifted to options at that point. Right at 12pm. While this is not the end all be all it certainly points you into the right direction more often than not.

@jezzer46 @Gabrielx77 @k8be @mv08 @Vimal Mittal @apmerf @vj123 @webdementia @kinetic

I have revised the scan settings based on some low volume stocks that need to be screened out. Make sure you set an alert when new symbols are added and check the Message Center to see them as they pop up.

Last: 0.5 to 7
% Change: 10% to No Max
Volume: 500,000 to No Max
Shares: 1 to 70,000,000

Custom Study Filter with Aggregation set to D (day) and using this code:
plot scan = close>=(open*1.05);

Study Filter - (under Volume) Unusual Volume, Current bar's Volume increased at least 50% from its typical average over 60 periods and Aggregation set to D (day)

Last edited:
Focus on stocks that appear on the scan before 10:15am and track them. If a stock's volume is not 1,000,000 by 9:45am, then it is not worth tracking. Today, BOXL and BKYI showed up and had decent spikes.

Last edited:
Focus on stocks that appear on the scan before 10am and track them. If a stock's volume is not 1,000,000 by 9:45am, then it is not worth tracking. Today, BOXL and BKYI showed up and had decent spikes.
lost money on BKYI.. was trading too choppy, it was my fault. Should've got in at BOXL. Even ARC rose, but it was even choppier than ARC.

I have revised the scan settings again. Make sure you set an alert when new symbols are added and check the Message Center to see them as they pop up.

plot scan = close>=(open*1.04);

Study Filter - (under Volume) Unusual Volume, Current bar's Volume increased at least 40% from its typical average over 60 periods and Aggregation set to D (day)

I also created one more scan that is the same as the one above except it picks up stocks with higher floats:

Shares: 70,000,000 to 300,000,000

Study Filter - (under Volume) Unusual Volume, Current bar's Volume increased at least 40% from its typical average over 60 periods and Aggregation set to D (day)

I did this because HTBX had a huge run today but did not show up on my first scan because the float was too high for it. With this new scan, HTBX would appear shortly after 10am.

I also created one more scan that is the same as the one above except it picks up stocks with higher floats:

Shares: 70,000,000 to 300,000,000

I did this because HTBX had a huge run today but did not show up on my first scan because the float was too high for it. With this new scan, HTBX would appear shortly after 10am.
sonny thanks for your work, one question- how often dyou scan and you do use a 5 minute time period ?

sonny thanks for your work, one question- how often dyou scan and you do use a 5 minute time period ?

You don't need to keep scanning as long as you set alerts for when new symbols are added to both scans. Just have the Message Center pulled up and you can see any new stocks that pop up on both scans.

You don't need to keep scanning as long as you set alerts for when new symbols are added to both scans. Just have the Message Center pulled up and you can see any new stocks that pop up on both scans.
@Sonny thanks for all of the good stuff you are providing here. Greatly Appreciated, Markos

@jezzer46 @Gabrielx77 @k8be @mv08 @Vimal Mittal @apmerf @vj123 @webdementia @kinetic

I have revised the scan settings based on some low volume stocks that need to be screened out. Make sure you set an alert when new symbols are added and check the Message Center to see them as they pop up.

plot scan = close>=(open*1.05);

Study Filter - (under Volume) Unusual Volume, Current bar's Volume increased at least 50% from its typical average over 60 periods and Aggregation set to D (day)
Thank you Sonny! Also is the change going to be similar for checking the pre-market without the last 2 study filters?

Last edited:
when do you start and stop scanning ? thanks
Start at 9:30, although they probably won’t show up until after 9:35; your watchlist should automatically update when stocks are added to the scanner.. make sure you set an alert on your watchlist so you’re notified when stocks are being added. You don’t have to keep going back and refreshing, it’ll show on your watchlist that you use with this specific scanner settings.

New Indicator: Buy the Dip

Check out our Buy the Dip indicator and see how it can help you find profitable swing trading ideas. Scanner, watchlist columns, and add-ons are included.

Download the indicator

Not the exact question you're looking for?

Start a new thread and receive assistance from our community.

87k+ Posts
340 Online
Create Post

The Market Trading Game Changer

Join 2,500+ subscribers inside the useThinkScript VIP Membership Club
  • Exclusive indicators
  • Proven strategies & setups
  • Private Discord community
  • ‘Buy The Dip’ signal alerts
  • Exclusive members-only content
  • Add-ons and resources
  • 1 full year of unlimited support

Frequently Asked Questions

What is useThinkScript?

useThinkScript is the #1 community of stock market investors using indicators and other tools to power their trading strategies. Traders of all skill levels use our forums to learn about scripting and indicators, help each other, and discover new ways to gain an edge in the markets.

How do I get started?

We get it. Our forum can be intimidating, if not overwhelming. With thousands of topics, tens of thousands of posts, our community has created an incredibly deep knowledge base for stock traders. No one can ever exhaust every resource provided on our site.

If you are new, or just looking for guidance, here are some helpful links to get you started.

What are the benefits of VIP Membership?
VIP members get exclusive access to these proven and tested premium indicators: Buy the Dip, Advanced Market Moves 2.0, Take Profit, and Volatility Trading Range. In addition, VIP members get access to over 50 VIP-only custom indicators, add-ons, and strategies, private VIP-only forums, private Discord channel to discuss trades and strategies in real-time, customer support, trade alerts, and much more. Learn all about VIP membership here.
How can I access the premium indicators?
To access the premium indicators, which are plug and play ready, sign up for VIP membership here.
Back