Receive alerts pre and post market?

imrobert

Hello all, I just started using the Thinkorswim alerts and love it but do the alerts only work during market hours? I have an alert to sms me when a price hits a certain mark and it only worked until 4pm.

Thanks for the help!

BenTen

Administrative
Staff member
Staff
VIP
Do you have pre-market enabled? You may need to have that while you're looking at the chart. I'm not sure if you also have to enable extended market hours for the alerts as well (is that even an option?).

Eskay

Pre market and after hours are combined into "Extended Hours". Here is a screen shot of enabling both:
vIIZo7n.png

Last edited:

madtipper743

I know this an old thread but this seemed the most relevant thread

So after much tinkering I have found a method that works. Not the most efficient but considering that TD support says its not even possible not to shabby.

1) Place a price line using the drawing tool
2) Right Click the line and select Create Alert from Drawing
3) I chose crosses for my testing the others may work as well
4) Click Ok

**Note the alert cannot overlap the current bar on your chart otherwise it will just fire automatically (use 1 minute to place the bar with the shortest candles).

**Also note the alerts are one and done once it fires its disabled.

rad14733

Staff member
VIP
@madtipper743 Yes, that's how it works... You just didn't end up getting a Tech who knows enough about that particular subject... It happens... And you are correct that it will be a once-and-done Alert... In fact, you don't even need the Price Level line to set the Alert, it's just for better reference because the Alert draws a line anyway... Just Right-Click on the chart where you want the Alert and select Create Alert... and set your parameters...

madtipper743

@madtipper743 Yes, that's how it works... You just didn't end up getting a Tech who knows enough about that particular subject... It happens... And you are correct that it will be a once-and-done Alert... In fact, you don't even need the Price Level line to set the Alert, it's just for better reference because the Alert draws a line anyway... Just Right-Click on the chart where you want the Alert and select Create Alert... and set your parameters...
I dont trade Extended hours very often I put it together for someone else, but I was told the above doesnt work in extended hour. I tried myself and couldnt get it to work either. I am not sure those work in extended hours.

rad14733

Staff member
VIP
@madtipper743 I've never done extended hours so I can't say what does or doesn't work with relation to them... I know I had issues the other night when testing a couple Thinkscript functions that were supposed to work but they didn't in EH's...