Option Chain Column For ThinkOrSwim

HumbledTrader

@rad14733 what your looking at is it, and yes you can do a custom column by editing the script in the custom extras custom 1-whatever amount they give you, in fact, what your looking at is real it is not mine to give as i need permission, but it slows the system and i have a decent computer i beleive

Yes Please if you can help?

I been playing with the Spread code a bit im stuck on line3 and line 4 anyone can figure out what im doing wrong here? Also tryng to ge tthe digits to show as .40, .50 or 1.25 etc... where it is showing 0.4 0.5 etc... and its not turning red above .50 everything id green

Code:
plot spread = ask - bid ;
def Penny = .50;
def Penny = .51;
def Penny = Round("number" = ((ask - bid ) / ask) * 100, "numberOfDigits" = 3);
assignbackgroundColor( if .50 > Penny then color.red  else if .50 < Penny then color.Dark_Gray else color.dark_green );

in your assign...
you are comparing a constant to a constant
if .50 > Penny then

change 0.50 to a variable
if spread > Penny then

Last edited by a moderator:

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Hi all,

Is there a way to add three custom columns to the option chain that show change in option volume for each strike on both call and put side since the last 1 min, last 5 mins and last 15 mins?

Thanks a bunch!

Hello,
I am trying to figure out how to create a script specifically for my option chain to display Annualized RoR.
I tried to attach a screen shot from another platform I am using as an example of what I am looking for. It will not allow me to insert the image. Here is the link to the image. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgsRM50Je5vCgag4scoHpfBftsifPg?e=s31bFa

I would like to have it on my TOS Platform

The Formula is easy.

MARK / MAX RISK * 365/DTE * 100

this is for (Short Put options)

As I was using the ThinkScript Editor. I could not find MARK(MidPoint) grabbing the prices from the option chain in the thinkscript editor.

Is there a way to do this?
Thank you
Clance

Last edited:
Hello,
I am trying to figure out how to create a script specifically for my option chain to display Annualized RoR.
I tried to attach a screen shot from another platform I am using as an example of what I am looking for. It will not allow me to insert the image. Here is the link to the image. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgsRM50Je5vCgag4scoHpfBftsifPg?e=s31bFa

I would like to have it on my TOS Platform

The Formula is easy.

MARK / MAX RISK * 365/DTE * 100

this is for (Short Put options)

As I was using the ThinkScript Editor. I could not find MARK(MidPoint) grabbing the prices from the option chain in the thinkscript editor.

Is there a way to do this?
Thank you
Clance
This thread contains a compilation of everything that is know about the option chain on this forum. Hopefully something here, can help your quest.

Hi all,

Is there a way to add three custom columns to the option chain that show change in option volume for each strike on both call and put side since the last 1 min, last 5 mins and last 15 mins?

Thanks a bunch!
Multiple Time Frames cannot be used in custom option chain columns

i export all this data into XLS & then run the formula to filter & see the % of increase by doing New OI - Old OI / Old OI, if its more than 90% trade. But seen most scenario no matter about this % if the stock trend is positive even if out put is 60% stock runs heavy. But winning rate is 80% based on this tracking via XLS.
would u mind expanding on this? really curious.

i have been tryin to backtest a OI strat.

Hi I was wondering if there was a way to display the mins and maxes of OI for a specific Chain with this indicator using colors. Say the highest 3 OI strikes get highlighted in purple on both the call and put side. I think it would be an easier way to identify the day's support and resistance more efficiently.

Is There a way to highlight Max and Min OI Strikes ?

As a day trader, Volume and Open Interest is the most important aspect for entering/exiting trades. I look at it as Volume is Demand, and OI as Supply. I was wondering how to black out all other OI and only highlight the top 5. Is this possible or would it need to be a set limit ( for ex. SPY OI > 1000)? Thank you !

Hi I was wondering if there was a way to display the mins and maxes of OI for a specific Chain with this indicator using colors. Say the highest 3 OI strikes get highlighted in purple on both the call and put side. I think it would be an easier way to identify the day's support and resistance more efficiently.

Is There a way to highlight Max and Min OI Strikes ?
Thinkscript does not provide us any means of writing studies that will be interactive with the platform-controlled elements or any ThinkOrSwim modules... Custom modifications are beyond the scope of the capabilities of the platform...

help adding custom option chain set?
Hello,
I'm trying to use this custom % change script (low - high, rather than the default from open). I am able to add it to watchlist sets, but can't add it to the custom option chain set. In the option chain, it only seems to allow default sets.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,
I'm trying to use this custom % change script (low - high, rather than the default from open). I am able to add it to watchlist sets, but can't add it to the custom option chain set. In the option chain, it only seems to allow default sets.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
can you describe exactly what you are doing.

why can't you add it?
can you see it , add it, but it doesn't work?
or you can't see the study name in the option chain list of studies, so you can't add it ?

of the column studies seen in the watchlist list, only the first 19 can be used in the option chain.
if your desired study is #20 , then you will have to, go through some steps to shift it so it is one of the 1st 19.
...copy/paste some column studies to be in later studies.
...make a few extra dummy column studies, for pasting in code from others.
...find a link to a column study, import it, change the name zz1. then import it again, rename to zz2, repeat a few times. zz3,zz4,...
...then you will have placeholders for pasting in code for more column studies.

copy the code, from the first column study , and paste it into zz1 , and rename it, to what it was called
copy your desired option chain code and paste it into the first column study , rename it. maybe aao01 , then aao2, aao3...
use aa so it is first in the list, and o for options...

On a similar note, can anybody help me make a code for an option chain column that shows:
the greater of the following:
[% change] from [day's low] to [highest following the low (excluding any high that came before the low)]
[% change] from [lowest preceeding high (excluding any low that comes after the high)] to day's high] to day's high

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Last edited:
or you can't see the study name in the option chain list of studies, so you can't add it ?

of the column studies seen in the watchlist list, only the first 19 can be used in the option chain.
if your desired study is #20 , then you will have to, go through some steps to shift it so it is one of the 1st 19.
...copy/paste some column studies to be in later studies.
...make a few extra dummy column studies, for pasting in code from others.
...find a link to a column study, import it, change the name zz1. then import it again, rename to zz2, repeat a few times. zz3,zz4,...
...then you will have placeholders for pasting in code for more column studies.

copy the code, from the first column study , and paste it into zz1 , and rename it, to what it was called
copy your desired option chain code and paste it into the first column study , rename it. maybe aao01 , then aao2, aao3...
use aa so it is first in the list, and o for options...

I'm trying to find this:

A code for an option chain column that shows the greater of the following:
[% change] from [day's low] to [highest following the low (excluding any high that came before the low)]
[% change] from [lowest preceeding high (excluding any low that comes after the high)] to day's high] to day's high

https://tos.mx/ZSH8Fny
Ruby:
def alert = volume > open_interest;
AddLabel(yes, if alert then "volume vs OI" else ".", color.BLACK);
AssignBackgroundColor(if alert == 1 then color.RED else color.LIGHT_GRAY);
plot data= volume > open_interest;

Try this it will give you a quick snapshot on your watchlist and the option chain as to which strikes have greater volume than OI.

Hi ! Does anyone know how to make a column display the PnL column... if thats even possible ? Or if there is already somewhere and I completely missed it. I tried with entryPrice() - Bid but its not working.
Thank you

in the timeframe change D to 1m
custom spread option chain column

#Column:Spread

Def Spread1= (ASK-BID)*100;

AddLabel(yes, AsText(Spread1, “%1$.0f”));

AssignBackgroundColor (if (Spread1> 6) then Color.dark_RED else Color.darK_GREEN);

plot a = ask() - bid();