Opening Range Breakout Strategy with Market Volatility for ThinkorSwim

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

@BenTen great indicator still trying get the hang of tc_o tc_c. so now that it’s an indicator the phrases open and closed have been removed and replaced with arrows? Also wats difference between indicator and strategy?
Thanks for all the work

@Raundx Can you be more specific? Which indicator are you referring to? The opening range breakout that was shown in the video? If so, you can find it here.

From what I've seen, it's the same one created by Mobius. Even some of the other indicators he has on his charts such as the pre-market high and low.

@BenTen

I am just trying to confirm the exit signal if I go long, so pretty much if the EMA with 8 candles crosses the EMA with the 13 candles, and the the market remains volatile then exit? I use TradingView as my primary tool and ToS for my secondary, so trying to understand exactly how this works. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

Is there anyway we can modify this scan to pick up the stocks with a buy or sell signal? Currently this scan is only picking up stocks that are above the opening range or below, and it takes some work to sort through all this. Thanks!
@egshih Sort your watchlist by relative volume, the higher the RV the easier it will be to sort through the good stocks that are making the big moves

Thanks for the suggestion! I am using it with large cap tech and getting decent results. I just need to stop panicking and overriding my rules and sell early.

@egshih Sort your watchlist by relative volume, the higher the RV the easier it will be to sort through the good stocks that are making the big moves

@kelbadawi You can try the modified version I posted in message #100.
It doesn’t work I’ll just keep the one for mobile version for now maybe in future will be available. Thank u so much. Tried using the marketvol today it’s great since I tend to get in on the breakout bar but waiting for confirmation by the plotted arrow has deff saved me from false breakouts

Anybody use this? If so how is your success rate? Also what time frame do you use, I've noticed that with the 1 minute time frame that the confirmation comes quicker but also it is not as accurate as with the 5 minute, but with the 5 minute you get in later and may lose out on some of the breakout

Anybody use this? If so how is your success rate? Also what time frame do you use, I've noticed that with the 1 minute time frame that the confirmation comes quicker but also it is not as accurate as with the 5 minute, but with the 5 minute you get in later and may lose out on some of the breakout
Yeah, 1 minute can be too fast and 5 minutes too slow which is why I use 2 or 3 minutes as a happy medium... But when I'm using Renko Bars the whole time issue is out the window as Renko Bars are based on range movement only, not ticks or time...

Yeah, 1 minute can be too fast and 5 minutes too slow which is why I use 2 or 3 minutes as a happy medium... But when I'm using Renko Bars the whole time issue is out the window as Renko Bars are based on range movement only, not ticks or time...
If you willing what is your Renko Bar setup?