only print a bar once a condition is met

tatl

can i make a lower histogram bar chart only print a bar if a certain condition is met ( like say, one minute has elapsed )

rather than print a bar with every new chart candle in pace with the minimum aggregation period of the chart??

can i make a lower histogram bar chart only print a bar if a certain condition is met ( like say, one minute has elapsed )

rather than print a bar with every new chart candle in pace with the minimum aggregation period of the chart??

yes , if condition then 0 . and no bar will be drawn.

your example doesn't make sense. if the a chart is 1 minute time, after every minute , another histogram bar will be drawn...

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

yes , if condition then 0 . and no bar will be drawn.

your example doesn't make sense. if the a chart is 1 minute time, after every minute , another histogram bar will be drawn...
sorry in my example it would be a tick chart. so the condition would be that 1 minute has elapsed, using some timing code

and if that condition is met, then another histogram bar would be printed (say of cumulative volume within that minute)

so a simple way to put the question: "how can i see a minute volume histogram on a tick chart?"

i dont just want the bar to "not be drawn, leaving an empty space" if condition is 0, i want there to be no space at all. i want to control the frequency with which bars (or empty spaces) appear.

Last edited:
sorry in my example it would be a tick chart. so the condition would be that 1 minute has elapsed, using some timing code

and if that condition is met, then another histogram bar would be printed (say of cumulative volume within that minute)

so a simple way to put the question: "how can i see a minute volume histogram on a tick chart?"

i dont just want the bar to "not be drawn, leaving an empty space" if condition is 0, i want there to be no space at all. i want to control the frequency with which bars (or empty spaces) appear.
It's not normally possible to do minutes on a tick chart. But it can be fudged. What you're looking at is volume in gray overlayed (in the volume subgraph but on the left axis really) for 10 minute aggregations of volume over 100 ticks on the /MES chart. It looks better than I thought it might, but of course, your mileage may vary. It skips a bar of plot so that the volume "histogram" isn't all connected with strange angled cloud lines, and as such, occasionally it won't draw a cloud at all but the volume line still shows up. I wouldn't try running it on 1 min, but you may of course try. I looked at it on 5 and 10 minute aggregations over the 100 tick chart. If your "histogram" has angley bits on the left, you need to increase the long-winded and hand-coded candle_width def statement to be longer (I don't deal with things so fast that there should be more than 40 bars in a 5 or 10 minute block, but this is where you can acomodate runs of more candles than that in the given agg time/

P.S. I didn't whip this up just now. I've been toying with time aggregation on tick charts for more than three or four years now.

-mashume

b9LAx3Y.png

Code:
declare lower;
declare zerobase;

def trade_time_s = SecondsFromTime(0000);
def delta_t_s = trade_time_s - trade_time_s[1];
def delta_t_m = delta_t_s / 60;
input minutes = 10;

def trades = tick_count();
# def trades = Volume;
def trades_per_minute = trades / delta_t_m;

def average = SimpleMovingAvg(trades_per_minute, 5);

# def five_min = if (trade_time_s % 300) == 0 then 1 else 0;
def min_blocks = trade_time_s % (60 * minutes);

def time_boundary = if min_blocks[1] > min_blocks then 1 else 0;
# addVerticalLine(time_boundary == 1, text="5m", color.black);

def time_open = if time_boundary == 1 then open else time_open[1];
def time_volume = if time_boundary == 1 then VOLUME else time_volume[1] + VOLUME;

# plot o = time_open;
# o.SetPaintingStrategy(paintingStrategy.HORIZONTAL);

def candle_width = if min_blocks[0] > min_blocks[-1] then 1
    else if min_blocks[-1] > min_blocks[-2] then 2
    else if min_blocks[-2] > min_blocks[-3] then 3
    else if min_blocks[-3] > min_blocks[-4] then 4
    else if min_blocks[-4] > min_blocks[-5] then 5
    else if min_blocks[-5] > min_blocks[-6] then 6
    else if min_blocks[-6] > min_blocks[-7] then 7
    else if min_blocks[-7] > min_blocks[-8] then 8
    else if min_blocks[-8] > min_blocks[-9] then 9
    else if min_blocks[-9] > min_blocks[-10] then 10