Moving Average Crossover Watchlist Column for ThinkorSwim

Is there a way to add an alert to notify me when this is triggered?
I am using this in the MarketWatch of ToS.
Thank you for the Guidance. I had to make some slight changes to the code you posted, and it works great now. I used the following code:

Code:
def EMA8 = ExpAverage(close, 8);
def EMA13 = ExpAverage(close, 13);
def EMA21 = ExpAverage(close, 21);
def EMA34 = ExpAverage(close, 34);
def EMA55 = ExpAverage(close, 55);
def EMA89 = ExpAverage(close, 89);

def bullish = EMA8 CROSSES ABOVE EMA13 and EMA13 > EMA21 and EMA21 > EMA34 and EMA34 > EMA55 and EMA55 > EMA89;
def bearish = EMA8 CROSSES BELOW EMA13 and EMA13 < EMA21 and EMA21 < EMA34 and EMA34 < EMA55 and EMA55 < EMA89;
There are Three Types of Alerts:
1. There are alerts written into studies. They only alert when the chart w/ the study is open on your screen
They cannot be sent to phone/email. They cannot have custom sounds.​
2. There are alerts created on a chart for one specific stock that you want to alert on.
3. There are scanned watchlist alerts which alert whenever the results of the scan changes.
These alerts can be 3min delayed. They can have custom sounds, they can be sent to phone/email, if you have notifications turned on in the app setup.​

1. The alert written into a study
add to the bottom of your script:
Ruby:
# Alert
Alert(bullish, "bullish", Alert.Bar, Sound.Chimes);
Alert(bullish, "bearish", Alert.Bar, Sound.Chimes);

2. Alert created on a chart:
change def bullish to plot bullish
right-click on chart.
click on create alert
cut&paste your script

3. Scanned watchlist alert
change def bullish to plot bullish
open Scan Hacker
cut&paste your script
click on the menu icon above the results and click on alerts

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.

Hello I am trying to create an alert on my watch list that would change the column color and ring a bell when a 3min candle closes above the 200 ema (just for the stocks im watching)

close crosses above MovAvgExponential("length" = 200)."AvgExp" from 1 bars ago
  • I want the column to turn Green when true
  • Alert (Chime) to go off
T6h72R3.png
Could you share the code to this chart? This looks very helpful.

Moving Average Crossover Watchlist Column for ThinkorSwim ( for spy & qqq only)
Ben,

What needs to be done in order for it to show me what happening with moving average (EMA) only for SPY & QQQ ?

Thank you!

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
If anyone uses EMA crossover as a way to identify trend or point of entry/exit, knowing when there is a moving average crossover on your watchlist column can certainly be helpful. Here is a quick snippet that let you do just that.

It includes lookback period so that you can set to X amount of when there is an EMA (exponential moving average) crossover. For example, the default is 5. The column will turn green when there is a bullish crossover within the last 5 bars and vice versa. Orange for neutral.

DQJCTgG.png

thinkScript Code

Rich (BB code):
# WalkingBallista EMA Lookback Cross
# https://usethinkscript.com/d/119-moving-average-crossover-watchlist-column-for-thinkorswim

declare lower;

input lookback = 5;
input ema1_len = 10;
input ema2_len = 20;
input averageType = AverageType.EXPONENTIAL;

def ema1 = MovAvgExponential(length=ema1_len);
def ema2 = MovAvgExponential(length=ema2_len);

def bull_cross = ema1 crosses above ema2;
def bear_cross = ema1 crosses below ema2;

def bull_lookback = highest(bull_cross, lookback);
def bear_lookback = highest(bear_cross, lookback);

plot signal = if bull_lookback then 2 else if bear_lookback then 1 else 0;
signal.AssignValueColor(if signal == 2 then Color.Dark_Green else if signal == 1 then Color.Dark_Red else Color.Dark_Orange);
AssignBackgroundCOlor(if signal == 2 then Color.Dark_Green else if signal == 1 then Color.Dark_Red else Color.Dark_Orange);

The default values for EMAs are 10 and 20. You can change the input to whichever EMA you use on your chart.

In case you don't want to check for moving average crossover but price moving above or below a specific moving average, you can use the alternative code below.

This script will highlight the column green if the current stock price is above the 200 simple moving average. If the price is below the 200 SMA, the column will turn red.

Code:
input price = close;
input length = 200;
input displace = 0;

plot SMA = Average(price[-displace], length);
AssignBackgroundColor(if price > SMA then color.dark_green else color.dark_red);
Love what you did here with the code! Can you add a script to count the amount of bars after the 8ema crossed above the 21 and vice versa, count the opposite when 21 crosses below the 8? I think it's a nice addition to the lookback period so instead of showing green if the cross happened within the last 5 bars. It can also show the count of bars since the cross happened. Thanks!

Love what you did here with the code! Can you add a script to count the amount of bars after the 8ema crossed above the 21 and vice versa, count the opposite when 21 crosses below the 8? I think it's a nice addition to the lookback period so instead of showing green if the cross happened within the last 5 bars. It can also show the count of bars since the cross happened. Thanks!

You give it a try using the snippets provided in the following threads:

Ben, can you help me turn the following code into a watchlist label that shows the ATR % a given stock has reached for the day? I want. to see the % on my watchlist as I prefer them over charts. Thanks!

Code:
declare upper;

input AtrAvgLength = 14;

def ATR = WildersAverage(TrueRange(high(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), low(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY)), AtrAvgLength);

def TodayHigh = Highest(high(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 1);
def TodayLow = Lowest(low(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 1);

def DTR = TodayHigh - TodayLow;

def DTRpct = Round((DTR / ATR) * 100, 0);

AddLabel (yes, "DTR " + Round (DTR , 2) + " vs ATR " + round (ATR,2)+ "  " + round (DTRpct,0) + "%", Color.GRAY);

Ben, can you help me turn the following code into a watchlist label that shows the ATR % a given stock has reached for the day? I want. to see the % on my watchlist as I prefer them over charts. Thanks!

Code:
declare upper;

input AtrAvgLength = 14;

def ATR = WildersAverage(TrueRange(high(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), close(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), low(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY)), AtrAvgLength);

def TodayHigh = Highest(high(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 1);
def TodayLow = Lowest(low(period = aggregationPeriod.DAY), 1);

def DTR = TodayHigh - TodayLow;

def DTRpct = Round((DTR / ATR) * 100, 0);

AddLabel (yes, "DTR " + Round (DTR , 2) + " vs ATR " + round (ATR,2)+ "  " + round (DTRpct,0) + "%", Color.GRAY);

Did you try this? https://usethinkscript.com/threads/dtr-vs-atr-indicator-for-thinkorswim.387/

Is there a way to add an alert to notify me when this is triggered?
I am using this in the MarketWatch of ToS.
Thank you for the Guidance. I had to make some slight changes to the code you posted, and it works great now. I used the following code:

Code:
def EMA8 = ExpAverage(close, 8);
def EMA13 = ExpAverage(close, 13);
def EMA21 = ExpAverage(close, 21);
def EMA34 = ExpAverage(close, 34);
def EMA55 = ExpAverage(close, 55);
def EMA89 = ExpAverage(close, 89);

def bullish = EMA8 CROSSES ABOVE EMA13 and EMA13 > EMA21 and EMA21 > EMA34 and EMA34 > EMA55 and EMA55 > EMA89;
def bearish = EMA8 CROSSES BELOW EMA13 and EMA13 < EMA21 and EMA21 < EMA34 and EMA34 < EMA55 and EMA55 < EMA89;
I cant get this code to work in watchlist. I get the one plot expected error. I tried changing the def to plot didnt help. ideas? I love the idea!

If anyone uses EMA crossover as a way to identify trend or point of entry/exit, knowing when there is a moving average crossover on your watchlist column can certainly be helpful. Here is a quick snippet that let you do just that.

It includes lookback period so that you can set to X amount of when there is an EMA (exponential moving average) crossover. For example, the default is 5. The column will turn green when there is a bullish crossover within the last 5 bars and vice versa. Orange for neutral.

View attachment 4411

thinkScript Code

Rich (BB code):
# https://usethinkscript.com/d/119-moving-average-crossover-watchlist-column-for-thinkorswim

declare lower;

input lookback = 5;
input ema1_len = 10;
input ema2_len = 20;

signal.AssignValueColor(if signal == 2 then Color.Dark_Green else if signal == 1 then Color.Dark_Red else Color.Dark_Orange);
AssignBackgroundCOlor(if signal == 2 then Color.Dark_Green else if signal == 1 then Color.Dark_Red else Color.Dark_Orange);

The default values for EMAs are 10 and 20. You can change the input to whichever EMA you use on your chart.

In case you don't want to check for moving average crossover but price moving above or below a specific moving average, you can use the alternative code below.

This script will highlight the column green if the current stock price is above the 200 simple moving average. If the price is below the 200 SMA, the column will turn red.

Code:
input price = close;
input length = 200;
input displace = 0;

AssignBackgroundColor(if price > SMA then color.dark_green else color.dark_red);

I'd like to add a column to check price moving above or below an EMA instead of SMA. Can I simply replace "SMA" with "EMA"? I wasn't sure if I had to change the settings as well.
Thanks

Code:
input price = close;
input length = 200;
input displace = 0;

I'd like to add a column to check price moving above or below an EMA instead of SMA. Can I simply replace "SMA" with "EMA"? I wasn't sure if I had to change the settings as well.
Thanks

Code:
input price = close;
input length = 200;
input displace = 0;

Change Average to ExpAverage:
input price = close;
input length = 200;
input displace = 0;

plot EMA = ExpAverage(price[-displace], length);
AssignBackgroundColor(if price > EMA then color.dark_green else color.dark_red);

View attachment 4411

thinkScript Code

Rich (BB code):

declare lower;

input lookback = 5;
input ema1_len = 10;
input ema2_len = 20;

Code:
input price = close;
input length = 200;
input displace = 0;

Hi Ben, Can you please provide the code that when price closes above 9EMA then green, equal then orange else is red? Thank you very much...

Hi Ben, Can you please provide the code that when price closes above 9EMA then green, equal then orange else is red? Thank you very much...

Sure. Here is @BenTen's script replacing the default values for EMAs of 10 and 20 with EMA of 9 and CLOSE
hhCsxy5.png

Ruby:

declare lower;

input lookback = 5;
input ema1_len = 9;

def bull_cross = close crosses above ema1;
def bear_cross = close crosses below ema1;

Last edited: