J hook emerging pattern indicator

toobit

Hi There!

Im new to the forum but would love to know where I can get started to look at scrips for J hook emerging patterns? I see that you can create a script but Im not that good at it for TOS. Is there any area you can point me to so I can do diligence and possibly make an indicator for something as complex as a J hook?

Thanks!

The J-hook pattern gets its name from the shape it creates on a chart, resembling the letter "J." It consists of three main parts:

1. Initial Uptrend: The pattern begins with a strong upward move in the price of an asset. This could be the result of positive news, a breakout from a previous resistance level, or other factors driving buying pressure.
  2. Pullback/Consolidation: After the initial uptrend, the price retraces or consolidates, forming a downward-sloping curve resembling the letter "J." This pullback can be caused by profit-taking, market corrections, or a decrease in buying pressure.
  3. Resumption of Uptrend: Once the pullback phase is complete, the price reverses and resumes its upward movement. This breakout from the consolidation phase is often accompanied by increased trading volume, indicating renewed buying interest.
gnnDHOG.png

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi There!

Im new to the forum but would love to know where I can get started to look at scrips for J hook emerging patterns? I see that you can create a script but Im not that good at it for TOS. Is there any area you can point me to so I can do diligence and possibly make an indicator for something as complex as a J hook?

Thanks!

The J-hook pattern gets its name from the shape it creates on a chart, resembling the letter "J." It consists of three main parts:

1. Initial Uptrend: The pattern begins with a strong upward move in the price of an asset. This could be the result of positive news, a breakout from a previous resistance level, or other factors driving buying pressure.
  2. Pullback/Consolidation: After the initial...
Hi There!

Thanks!

2. Pullback/Consolidation: After the initial uptrend, the price retraces or consolidates, forming a downward-sloping curve resembling the letter "J." This pullback can be caused by profit-taking, market corrections, or a decrease in buying pressure.
  3. Resumption of Uptrend: Once the pullback phase is complete, the price reverses and resumes its upward movement. This breakout from the consolidation phase is often accompanied by increased trading volume, indicating renewed buying interest.
gnnDHOG.png

R

hello and welcome,
away from computer, so for now, just offering advice.

try to think of ways to better describe what you want to happen.

thoughts,
people tend to,
...use adjectives, like strong, that don't really describe what needs to happen.
...add opinions , like 'could be the result of'.

look at the chart, and try to think of what has to happen, in terms of open, high, low, close. ... like this, close should rise x% within 5 bars.

opinions, move them to the end of the post, so as not to clutter up the rules. or just leave them out.

1. try to think of what chart characteristics that would describe 'strong' up.
close should rise x% within 5 bars.

2. pullback? how much of a price drop? over how many bars?
after how many bars do you abort and reset and start all over?
after this happens, a peak will have been formed, so could look for a peak, a high that is higher than x bars before and after it.

3. wait for close to move above previous peak high.

Hi There!

Thanks!

R

this is a simple version of your rules,

rule1 -
...look for a rise up, over 3+ bars, at a bar to bar rise > 0.04%
...at the peak, save the high. draw a line at the high.

rule2 -
...wait for close to rise back up and cross above the previous peak high price level
...on a cross above, draw a green arrow

draw a green dot on the rule1 peak

Code:
#hook_peak_dip_upmove_00

#https://usethinkscript.com/threads/j-hook-emerging-pattern-indicator.15802/
#J hook emerging pattern indicator
#toobit  6/28

#Im new to the forum but would love to know where I can get started to look at scrips for J hook emerging patterns? I see that you can create a script but Im not that good at it for TOS. Is there any area you can point me to so I can do diligence and possibly make an indicator for something as complex as a J hook?

#The J-hook pattern gets its name from the shape it creates on a chart, resembling the letter "J." It consists of three main parts:

#Initial Uptrend: The pattern begins with a strong upward move in the price of an asset. This could be the result of positive news, a breakout from a previous resistance level, or other factors driving buying pressure.
#Pullback/Consolidation: After the initial uptrend, the price retraces or consolidates, forming a downward-sloping curve resembling the letter "J." This pullback can be caused by profit-taking, market corrections, or a decrease in buying pressure.
#Resumption of Uptrend: Once the pullback phase is complete, the price reverses and resumes its upward movement. This breakout from the consolidation phase is often accompanied by increased trading volume, indicating renewed buying interest.

#------------------------
#https://usethinkscript.com/threads/zigzag-high-low-with-supply-demand-zones-for-thinkorswim.172/#post-7048
# define swing low points , robert payne
# modifified by halcyonguy to ignore last bar

def bn = BarNumber();
def na = double.nan;

input length = 4;

def lastBar = HighestAll(if IsNaN(close) then 0 else bn);
def offset = Min(length - 1, lastBar - bn);

input ignore_last_bar = yes;
def ignorelast = if (ignore_last_bar and bn == lastbar) then 0 else 1;

def peak = ignorelast and high > highest(high[1], length - 1) and high == GetValue(highest(high, length), -offset);
def valley = ignorelast and low < Lowest(low[1], length - 1) and low == GetValue(Lowest(low, length), -offset);

#-------------------------------------

input show_dots_on_peaks_valleys = no;
def vert = 0.002;
plot z1 = if show_dots_on_peaks_valleys and peak then high*(1+vert) else na;
z1.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
z1.SetDefaultColor(Color.cyan);
z1.setlineweight(3);
z1.hidebubble();

plot z2 = if show_dots_on_peaks_valleys and valley then low*(1-vert) else na;
z2.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
z2.SetDefaultColor(Color.cyan);
z2.setlineweight(3);
z2.hidebubble();

#--------------------------
# rule 1
# up trend

input up_trend_higher_high_per = 0.04;
input up_trend_min_bars = 3;

def up_per =  100*(high - high[1])/high[1];

def up1 = (high > (high[1] * (1 + (up_trend_higher_high_per/100))));

#def upcnt = sum(up1, 10);
def upcnt = fold i = 0 to 100
 with p
 while (getvalue(high, i) > (getvalue(high, i+1) * (1 + (up_trend_higher_high_per/100))))
 do p + 1;

def rule1_up = (upcnt >= up_trend_min_bars);

plot z3 = if rule1_up and peak then high * 1.001 else na;
z3.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.POINTS);
z3.SetDefaultColor(Color.green);
z3.setlineweight(3);
z3.hidebubble();

# rule2 - cross above rule1 peak

def rule1_peak = if bn == 1 then 0
 else if rule1_up then high
 else rule1_peak[1];

plot z4 = if isnan(close) then na else if rule1_peak > 0 then rule1_peak else na;
z4.SetDefaultColor(Color.cyan);

def rule2_cross = if close crosses above rule1_peak then 1 else 0;

plot z5 = if rule2_cross then low*0.998 else na;
z5.SetPaintingStrategy(PaintingStrategy.ARROW_UP);
z5.SetDefaultColor(Color.green);
z5.setlineweight(3);
z5.hidebubble();

#--------------------------

input show_all_bubbles = no;
input test1 = no;
addchartbubble(show_all_bubbles or (rule1_up and test1), low*0.998,
up_per + "\n" +
up1 + "\n" +
upcnt
, (if rule1_up and peak then color.yellow else color.gray), no);
#, (if rule1_up and peak then color.yellow else color.gray), no);

#

IOGzj3J.jpg

Solution

Join useThinkScript to post your question to a community of 21,000+ developers and traders.